DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Believe -- "Origin" -- 3/23/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618973-believe-origin-3-23-14-a.html)

DJariya 03-23-14 06:07 PM

Believe -- "Origin" -- 3/23/14

http://hydrogen-mag.com/wp-content/u...EPHENS-NBC.jpg

BO AND TATE FIND THEMSELVES TRAPPED IN MANHATTAN. SHOHREH AGHDASHLOO GUEST STARS Trapped in Manhattan, Bo (Johnny Sequoyah) and Tate (Jake McLaughlin) encounter a wealthy woman (guest star Shohreh Aghdashloo) mourning the decades-old loss of her son. Also starring Delroy Lindo, Kyle MacLachlan, and Jamie Chung. Kerry Condon, Trieste Kelly Dunn and Ella Rae Peck guest star. TV-14 V

Read more: Listings - BELIEVE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2wpX5JOpr

Episode 3 of 13

Xiroteus 03-24-14 02:05 AM

Re: Believe -- "Origin" -- 3/23/14

I know the show can't really have them away from people too much yet they need some cash and to get OUT of the cities.

Cellar Door 03-24-14 03:09 AM

I like the premise and characters, but we're only three episodes in and things are starting to look very formulaic. Every episode involves a chance encounter with someone that they end up helping via Bo's gifts, and Bo and her dad being caught (or almost caught) and then being freed through intervention by their allies.

I don't really understand why Delroy Lindo and his group doesn't just protect Bo themselves. Are they going to keep rescuing her and her dad only to send them back out on their own again each time?

Xiroteus 03-24-14 03:41 AM

Why do movies and shows always seem to get the idea of pawning wrong. Pawing tends to mean getting a loan on an item for around three months and pay it back with interest while selling is outright.

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 12054767)

I don't really understand why Delroy Lindo and his group doesn't just protect Bo themselves. Are they going to keep rescuing her and her dad only to send them back out on their own again each time?

That's a good point, get some money and figure a place to go.

Geofferson 03-24-14 08:17 AM

I agree the show seems to be settling into its comfort zone for the reasons Cellar Door mentioned. Also, I'm noticing more continuity errors than with other shows. Minor things such as changes in the background that don't align with a walking scene, etc. Attention to detail isn't necessarily where it should be -- maybe these initial episodes were shot w/a very aggressive deadline and compromises were made more often than with other shows.

PhantomStranger 03-25-14 04:33 PM

I've kept up with it though I thought the pilot was laughable in spots. They are rapidly chewing through a lot of the backstory, we've now seen her mom's history without her dad in the picture.

Xiroteus 03-25-14 06:11 PM

They need to make him better at this, he cannot even burn paper correctly.

B.A. 03-25-14 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Xiroteus (Post 12056898)
They need to make him better at this, he cannot even burn paper correctly.

Ha.

I also keep wondering why they are constantly on the move. It's an enormous country. Hide her on a farm in Kansas already!

PhantomStranger 03-25-14 11:17 PM

I assume we'll find out they have psychics that can detect the girl's location or something, if she stays in the same spot too long. Because the constant running doesn't make much sense otherwise.

Xiroteus 03-26-14 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by B.A. (Post 12057134)
Ha.

I also keep wondering why they are constantly on the move. It's an enormous country. Hide her on a farm in Kansas already!

That's what I was thinking, sure it would make the show boring yet they need a reason why they cannot do that. Otherwise he just looks clueless.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12057144)
I assume we'll find out they have psychics that can detect the girl's location or something, if she stays in the same spot too long. Because the constant running doesn't make much sense otherwise.

They need to give some reason.

TheKing 03-26-14 10:09 AM

You know it finally hit me what show I'm reminded of here. This is like a revamped version of Touch. You get rid of the kid who can't talk and replace him with a girl with personality. Bring in a younger father. But keep the chance encounters and connections along with a shadowy group of people trying to get the kid, and voila, it's Believe.

Oh, but let's make it less coma inducing by adding in super powers.

windom 03-26-14 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 12057441)
You know it finally hit me what show I'm reminded of here. This is like a revamped version of Touch.

You're right...you may have missed it, but I already pointed that out in the thread for the pilot here.