Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race: All-Stars -- "Can't Make Fish Bite" -- 3/23/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Amazing Race: All-Stars -- "Can't Make Fish Bite" -- 3/23/14

THE RACE CONTINUES IN SRI LANKA WHERE TEAMS STRUGGLE TO GET A BITE WHEN FISHING FOR THEIR NEXT CLUE, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," SUNDAY, MARCH 23

"Can't Make Fish Bite" - The Race continues in Sri Lanka where teams struggle to get a bite when fishing for their next clue, on the All-Star edition of THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan (@philkeoghan) is the host.

Read more: Listings - AMAZING RACE, THE on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2wpTGEEW4

East and Central who don't care about the NCAA tournament:

Pad your DVR's if you're not watching live. This will start late tonight due to basketball running long.
Old 03-23-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race: All-Stars -- "Can't Make Fish Bite" -- 3/23/14

Pad big. Next week too. And in 3 weeks.
Old 03-23-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk God

41 minute pad. Could have been worse...almost OT.
Old 03-23-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Boring leg. Poor decision air travel decided it. Not even the most generous of edits could make it exciting.
Old 03-23-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So did they make the mom and son do the challenges? Or do they just tell them there's no point? I would have liked to see how they dealt with them.
Old 03-23-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So did they make the mom and son do the challenges? Or do they just tell them there's no point? I would have liked to see how they dealt with them.
Good question. I'd wager that they were so far behind that they probably just directed them to the pit stop. If they did the challenges, they'd probably would've have shown a montage or something.

Occasionally, Phil will go find the people who are way behind and tell them it's over. In TAR 16, Phil went to the married couple on the battlefield who couldn't do the morse code challenge and eliminated them, and last season Phil met the football players at the airport and told them they were eliminated.
Old 03-23-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Caro/Jen still trying to flirt with the cowboys.

Of all the things the Amazing Race wanted to showcase in Sri Lanka - a sweatshop?? Leo and the Globetrotters had too much fun sewing what looked like one of Courtney Love's old babydoll dresses.

"It's worse than a puzzle because all the puzzle pieces are...moving." Nice that Jet was among the few to appreciate how much went into making clothes.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Occasionally, Phil will go find the people who are way behind and tell them it's over. In TAR 16, Phil went to the married couple on the battlefield who couldn't do the morse code challenge and eliminated them, and last season Phil met the football players at the airport and told them they were eliminated.
don't forget the infamous hay bale challenge from series 6.
Old 03-23-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It would have been cool to actually see the twinnies in Sri Lanka.
Old 03-24-14, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

No, it would still be too annoying.

Big Easy putting on his sewn shirt...
Old 03-24-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Didn't they fly out of the same airport of the missing Malaysian plane? It was weird seeing the name Kuala Lumpur on the show after seeing it for the past two weeks plus. Imagine if this happened with TAR teams inboard?
Old 03-24-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Good move on Brenchel's part to do what it took. Their gamble paid off in taking the connector flight. Too bad the Globetrotters ended up beating them to the mat. They must have had one lost cabbie, since the 'trotters left the shirt factory after them and took the bus.

At least Luke didn't throw a hissy fit at the mat. Hopefully, they are done with any future races.
Old 03-24-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

I doubt it since they didn't show any of the tasks and since it was getting dark. They were just so far behind. I think I hear they read the clue as saying go here and go here. They must have been very behind especially with flight the next day and the train ride.
Old 03-24-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
At least Luke didn't throw a hissy fit at the mat. Hopefully, they are done with any future races.
What? And miss out on the opportunity to have them be the only team to race four times?! Certainly no team deserves it more and why would you want to cheat the viewing public out of that?

What I mean to say is: Goodbye Luke! Next time I see you it will probably be as you sit in the aisle of a grocery store having a fit because they don't carry your brand of juice box and your mom won't take you to the store that does. As for Margie I'm torn between feeling sorry for her and blaming her. I need more info to make even a snap judgment, but I'm leaning towards blame.
Old 03-24-14, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It bothered me that 2 teams finished 8 and 9 hours behind and they aren't really penalized. There shouldn't have been an out to the main flight that night.
Old 03-25-14, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank goodness Luke is gone. I had no issues with Margie but Luke.....guy whines like a toddler.
Old 03-25-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MFRONE
It bothered me that 2 teams finished 8 and 9 hours behind and they aren't really penalized. There shouldn't have been an out to the main flight that night.
everyone had the same opportunity to take the earlier flight and race for the connection. The rest of the teams decided not to risk the very tight connection. Flight time or Big Easy even said they didn't want to risk it when they could just fly direct. Marge and Luke in hindsight should have tried and gone for the tight connection but they didn't gamble and they fell way behind. if Brandon and Rachel hadn't made their connection, they might have been stuck in the connecting city so it was a big risk with big reward.
Old 03-25-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Flight Time and Big Easy ran into bad air travel choices the season they first raced and it was their undoing, so I'm sure that they wanted to stick to the safest way, which was the direct flight.

I thought Margie and Luke should have at least gotten tickets on another flight and go to the gate to see if they could get on standby (instead of waiting at the counter). But good riddance anyway.
Old 03-25-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Margie and Luke should have at least gotten tickets on another flight and go to the gate to see if they could get on standby (instead of waiting at the counter). But good riddance anyway.
The other flight (the connecting option) left before they could find out whether they got on as standby for the direct flight regardless. In other words, by the time it became confirmed they didn't make it on as standby all other flight options for that day were long gone.
Old 03-25-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The other flight (the connecting option) left before they could find out whether they got on as standby for the direct flight regardless. In other words, by the time it became confirmed they didn't make it on as standby all other flight options for that day were long gone.
I meant just getting the tickets for the next outbound flight, not the connector, to get to the terminal. What good is it to just stand at the counter?
Old 03-25-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I meant just getting the tickets for the next outbound flight, not the connector, to get to the terminal. What good is it to just stand at the counter?
I took it that the direct flight was the last of the day (I think it was an 11 pm departure?). They let all other flights leave while pinning their hopes on the direct one, so there was no point in holding tickets for any other flight that left earlier, and there was none that left later (well, not until the next morning anyway). I do see what you mean about just getting any ticket to be able to go to the boarding area to wait out the standby though, but it would have to have been a ticket for a flight the next day and I'm not sure that would have worked. So since they were not even able to buy an oversold seat on the direct flight, what ticket could they have bought that let them wait in the boarding area?
Old 03-25-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
what ticket could they have bought that let them wait in the boarding area?
The next outbound flight. Even if it was for the next day.

I've sat in terminals for 7 hours overnight before. Unless they close down the airport altogether, why not take the chance, they could always return the next day if they don't get on the standby flight.
Old 03-25-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The next outbound flight. Even if it was for the next day.

I've sat in terminals for 7 hours overnight before. Unless they close down the airport altogether, why not take the chance, they could always return the next day if they don't get on the standby flight.
Hmm....Would at least have to be a ticket on the same airline since I don't believe you can outright buy a ticket in the boarding area if they did get selected from standby. Plus I thought nowadays (and maybe it's just some airlines) you can only standby for flights the same day - as in I can't fly home a day early by showing up Tuesday and "standing by" the day before my scheduled Wednesday departure. I have to change my ticket. It would probably work during a connection (ie, a scheduled overnight layover but you get in early enough to catch the red-eye outbound), but not the initial outbound.
Old 03-26-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They didn't do the tasks - taken from a interview Margie did with RealtyTVWorld.com -

Reality TV World: We didn't see you and Luke doing much in the leg as far as tasks went and such. Did you actually do the Detour and Roadblock tasks? And if so, how did they go?

Margie O'Donnell: We didn't. We traveled to those places, but we were so far behind them, they couldn't keep all those people there. I guess that's why. But we didn't actually do the tasks. We got to those places, you know, we rode the bus and the train and all that stuff. We went the whole route but we did not do the tasks. So that was kind of disappointing.
Old 03-26-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts

This has been an enjoyable season. All the annoying teams are being eliminated and the few that are left are struggling. That's the best I could have hoped for when this season started.
Old 03-26-14, 01:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Margie and Luke broke the core air travel rule...never travel alone.