Community - "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" - 3/20/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community - "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" - 3/20/14

Old 03-21-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Community - "Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" - 3/20/14

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Thought this episode was just OK... but damn Alison Brie is beautiful.
She was distracting during the interrogation of the trolls. I had to backtrack at least twice because I missed what Abed was saying because I was staring at her so intensely.
Old 03-21-14, 01:30 PM

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,865 Posts

'Community': Details on the 'G.I. Jeff' animated episode -- FIRST LOOK
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/21/co...mated-episode/

Old 03-21-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Tight Ship!
Old 03-21-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kinda of a bummer THIS is the most we've ever seen of Alison Brie's boobs on the show.
Old 03-21-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 467 Likes on 403 Posts

I thought this episode was terrible, I was waiting for them to do something funny with the D&D stuff and it never came.
Old 03-21-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I did laugh at the cameo by Fa ... bulous Neil in the background as Jeff was explaining that Fa ... bulous Neil continues to do stuff in the background.
Old 03-21-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
-What's the point of this season? Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed it quite a bit and am glad to have it, but there's no real big picture narrative anymore. It's not like this is Breaking Bad or anything, but there's always been some sort of overall conflict pushing the story forward.
I'm really at odds with how I feel about this season. I feel like the show's heart is in the right place, but it feels like the jokes always stop two steps away from being great.

Maybe I'm just biased because I went through seasons 1-3 recently.

I'm starting to feel on the fence about the show. When I start ending episodes with the feeling of "well, maybe next episode will be funnier", and doing it for weeks in a row, I start to get concerned.
Old 03-25-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 461 Posts

Considering this was the first episode I actually laughed at in a long time, I thought it was pretty good.
Old 03-26-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 518 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE View Post
I'm really at odds with how I feel about this season. I feel like the show's heart is in the right place, but it feels like the jokes always stop two steps away from being great.
At this point in the show's run I believe the writing staff has been almost completely turned over a couple of times. My feeling is that the current writers just aren't as strong as some of the one's that came before them. The show has it's soul back (Dan Harmon, Chris McKenna), but I think at this point it's just about run it's course. I still enjoy it, but if they don't make another episode after this season I won't be devastated.
Old 03-26-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 632 Likes on 512 Posts

I find this season substantially funnier than the last two so I think it's to each their own.

Second half of Season 1 and Season 2 are still peak for me. My only issue is they're doing nothing new with these characters.

AVClub had an article posted today about how Community could end up with six seasons and a movie. If that's the case, I really hope Harmon starts building toward something with each character, cuz I like them all.
Old 03-26-14, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I find this season substantially funnier than the last two so I think it's to each their own.
You'll get no argument from me that this season is better than last season. I barely even remember season 4 (insert gas leak reference). No way has 5 been better than 3 though. 3 was really up and down and had some ugly moments, but it still had some episodes that I consider classics (Chaos Theory, Holiday Music, Modern Movement, Lupine Urology to name just a few). A better comparison would be to take the 13 best from season 3 and match them up against season 5. I think the disparity would be more apparent.

Second half of Season 1 and Season 2 are still peak for me. My only issue is they're doing nothing new with these characters.
Season 4 wrapped up most of the long simmering storylines and Harmon has even admitted that they approached season 5 like it was a brand new show. The problem is that they've done next to nothing with the new status quo and have been content to rehash old episodes.

AVClub had an article posted today about how Community could end up with six seasons and a movie. If that's the case, I really hope Harmon starts building toward something with each character, cuz I like them all.
That's my best case scenario. Commit to one more season and a movie. Give everyone closure. Ride off into the sunset.
Old 03-26-14, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't expecting any "worst episode ever" talk for this one. While not a series high like the original I thought it was a fun episode. Community doing D&D is so entertaining for me that I could watch a whole season of these.

-What's the point of this season? Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed it quite a bit and am glad to have it, but there's no real big picture narrative anymore. It's not like this is Breaking Bad or anything, but there's always been some sort of overall conflict pushing the story forward.
The show's story arcs in the past have often exaggerated characters past their breaking point so I'm happy that they aren't going in that direction again.

Community for me has always been much more about individual episodes than season arcs and I think this season may be better off without one.
Old 03-27-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 699 Likes on 502 Posts

Six seasons and a movie? For real? http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/314...r-season-movie

The dream of 'six seasons and a movie' looks like it just might happen. TV Guide reports that "Fast Five" director Justin Lin is being considered to helm the potential film based on NBC's acclaimed but ratings-troubled comedy series "Community".

Lin has directed several episodes of the show, as have "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" directors Joe and Anthony Russo and "Super Troopers" director Jay Chandrasekhar - all of whom are possible candidates.

The talk comes as NBC and Sony inside sources are optimistic that the show will get a final, thirteen episode sixth season. Even if it's cancelled by the network, producer Sony Pictures TV would likely shop the final season elsewhere to streaming outlets such as Hulu.

Of course, the chances of a movie coming to fruition are still slim but if it were to go ahead it could follow the route of the recent "Veronica Mars" film - crowd funding ahead of a limited theatrical/simultaneous VOD release.

The fifth season finale of the series airs April 17th.
Old 03-27-14, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Six seasons and a movie? For real?
This news has literally made me giddy...
Old 03-27-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Six seasons and a movie would be awesome.
Old 03-27-14, 12:35 PM

This is what Harmon had to say about the whole 6 seasons and movie thing in an interview he did with Alan Sepinwall recently:

You do realize, of course, that if there’s a sixth season, because of this little throwaway joke in one episode in season 2, the fans are now going to be demanding a movie of some sort.

Dan Harmon: Well I honor that stuff so much higher than practical things. I believe in magic. I believe in mythology. I believe in shamanism. I believe that spells can be cast and I believe that random things coalesce and reveal themselves to be part of a plan we don’t control, you know. Why six? Why not five? Someone asked me that today. They shook their head and chucked and said, “So you could have had them say ‘five seasons and a movie’ and you’d be done.” I said, “Yeah, true. But he said ‘six.’” That’s Abed’s definition of a perfect TV show Valhalla. So I’m locked into that. If I turn my back on that I am Barabas.

So if NBC renews you, you’re gonna go to Sony and says, “Look, we just need a little extra money. We’ll do four episodes that we’ll consider a movie,” or...

Dan Harmon: The movie part is the movie part. I mean, if they do a sixth season, I have to participate. And having done that, if the movie has to be made out of clay and duct tape in my basement, then that’s how the movie will be made, because there has to be closure. The title of the book about the show is not “’Community,’ An Interesting Journey into a Show No One Ever Watched.” The title of the book is obviously going to be, “Six Seasons and a Movie.” So it’s already over. Sometimes our hands are just tied up in fate.
The whole interview is pretty interesting, especially the parts where he talks about the Chevy Chase situation. Here's the link to part 3 of the interview. You'll find links to parts 1 and 2 there as well. The above quote comes from part 2. The Chevy stuff is in part 1.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...rick-and-morty
Old 03-27-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 699 Likes on 502 Posts

they should just do it veronica mars style. i'd pay $15 to see it in a theater or get a digital download for it.
Old 03-29-14, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At this point in the show's run I believe the writing staff has been almost completely turned over a couple of times. My feeling is that the current writers just aren't as strong as some of the one's that came before them. The show has it's soul back (Dan Harmon, Chris McKenna), but I think at this point it's just about run it's course. I still enjoy it, but if they don't make another episode after this season I won't be devastated.
I know this staff has something, as "The Floor is Lava" and "Ass-Crack Bandit" episodes were spectacular.

But part of me wonders if the show didn't suffer some because of the short season. Maybe Dan & crew just weren't given the time to flesh some things out.
Old 03-29-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts

This episode was challenging. But I enjoyed it. I think you guys would have liked it more if everything was visually represented. I fully expected it during the first five minutes. But I settled into it just being a dramatic game of D&D.
Old 03-29-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The D&D element wasn't the problem, I think it was too much emphasis on Hickey and his son.

The D&D part looked really fun.
Old 03-30-14, 05:35 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Overall the episode was pretty bad.

Stylistically, I can understand why they didn't ape the LOTR style like they did in the first one. It was great there but while Hammond will revisit an older episode he likes to put a fresh spin on it when he does. The problem is they didn't seem to really replace that style with anything new. Have they done a Game of Thrones style episode already? It would seem a good fit with the family issues theme.
They absolutely aped the LOTR style, just in a normal D&D game, an adventure in one apartment. I thought it was pretty brilliant direction. Not sure how you missed that.

I liked this episode a lot. Agree that the resolution between hickey and his son was half-assed, but the rest was great.
Old 03-30-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 631 Likes on 443 Posts

The D&D element wasn't the problem, I think it was too much emphasis on Hickey and his son.

The D&D part looked really fun.
I thought it was a fun episode, but definitely odd to center it on a minor character and son who had never appeared before.
Old 03-30-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If an actual D&D game is half as fun as what was being portrayed, then I'd totally give it a try. And this is from someone who doesn't even care for the magic/fantasy stuff.
Old 03-31-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked the episode. Abed was great during the interrogation scene.
Old 03-31-14, 01:22 PM

If an actual D&D game is half as fun as what was being portrayed, then I'd totally give it a try. And this is from someone who doesn't even care for the magic/fantasy stuff.
As someone who played D&D quite a bit in jr. high (and even into high school a little bit), I can say that the show does a pretty good job of portraying what it's like. The show moves a lot quicker than an actual game, and usually the players all roll their own dice, but the spirit is pretty true to life. We weren't very hardcore about it and a lot of times just ignored the minutia/rules that we weren't interested in following. That's one of the beauties of the game. You can make it whatever you want. It was really just a great excuse to hang out and laugh.

I will also add that a good dungeon master really is the most important piece of the puzzle in my opinion. Having someone who is a good storyteller and can be theatrical, while also being able to manage everything that is going on, really improves the experience.