Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The 100 (The CW) -- New Science Fiction Survival Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- 3/19/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 100 (The CW) -- New Science Fiction Survival Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- 3/19/14

Old 03-19-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,603 Posts

THE 100

"Pilot" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, DLV) (HDTV)

ISAIAH WASHINGTON, HENRY IAN CUSICK AND PAIGE TURCO STAR IN A NEW DRAMA - Ninety-seven years ago, nuclear Armageddon decimated planet Earth, destroying civilization. The only survivors were the 400 inhabitants of 12 international space stations that were in orbit at the time. Three generations have been born in space, the survivors now number 4,000, and resources are running out on their dying "Ark." Among the 100 young exiles are Clarke (newcomer Eliza Taylor), the bright teenage daughter of the Ark's chief medical officer; the daredevil Finn (Thomas McDonell, "Suburgatory"); the brother/sister duo of Bellamy (newcomer Bob Morely) and Octavia (Marie Avgeropoulos, "50/50"), whose illegal sibling status has always led them to flaunt the rules, the lighthearted Jasper (Devon Bostick, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules") and the resourceful Monty (Christopher Larkin, "Squad 85"). Technologically blind to what's happening on the planet below them, the Ark's leaders - Clarke's widowed mother, Abby (Paige Turco, "Person of Interest," "Damages"); Chancellor Jaha (Isaiah Washington ("Blue Caprice," "Grey's Anatomy"); and his shadowy second in command, Kane (Henry Ian Cusick, "Scandal," "Lost") - are faced with difficult decisions about life, death and the continued existence of the human race. Bharat Nalluri directed the episode written by Jason Rothenberg (#101).

Read more: Listings - 100, THE on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2wShzvmSH

13 episodes ordered. This will run into the summer

Stars:

Isaiah Washington
Paige Turco
Henry Ian Cusick
Kelly Hu
and a cast of young people to fulfill the CW's audience.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ia1Fbg96vL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-20-14, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
re: The 100 (The CW) -- New Science Fiction Survival Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- 3/19/14

Interesting premise but this was just horrible. Ugh!
Old 03-20-14, 08:01 AM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts
re: The 100 (The CW) -- New Science Fiction Survival Drama -- Season 1 Thread -- 3/19/14

I was falling in and out of sleep while watching it. What I did see was ok? I guess I didn't see enough. Will have to revisit.
Old 03-20-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

So is this like THE 4400 with a smaller budget?
Old 03-20-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

so it was pretty bad huh? this wasn't on my radar until i saw this thread.
Old 03-20-14, 09:12 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the premise and the ending cliffhanger was unexpected, but I hate most of the characters so far. The whole gang of "Whoo hoo, no adults, let's party!" teenagers made this a tougher watch than it needed to be. Frankly the idea that these are teenagers who grew up on an isolated space station where any crime is punishable by death -- yet they were still screwing around on the space station doing dumb shit and acting like modern day teens -- just doesn't fly with me. The show sets up a pretty dark situation for society, and these kids should all be hardened by these experiences... yet throughout it most are acting like it's The Breakfast Club: Post-Apocalyptic Edition.
Old 03-20-14, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Dvr'd it but I had a feeling... I can accept the whole lovely teens on The Tommorrow People, but they don't make sense here, you should have a few grizzled vets. I'll probably catch the first ep, but I'm watching too many shows as it is now.
Old 03-20-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I thought it was pretty good and will keep watching.

Did they have someone else overdub Desmond's lines though? I can't accept that he can actually make himself sound like that.
Old 03-20-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...t-lows/246162/

Ratings were really good (for The CW). It beat Arrow in viewers and the demos.

I'll try to watch this tonight after work.

I did skim a few critics reviews. They were generally mixed. I read Hitfix and Fienberg hated the 1st couple of episodes (He's seen 6 episodes), but says it's getting better. Shows that air on The CW are generally developed for a younger audience and I know not everyone here likes shows focused on teens or twenty-something characters.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-20-14 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-20-14, 01:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Shows that air on The CW are generally developed for a younger audience and I know not everyone here likes shows focused on teens or twenty-something characters.
I'm actually a fan of younger audience shows, but I just felt like the teens weren't written realistically for the setup they were trying to sell. I'd contrast it with something like the Hunger Games, which features teens of a similar age in a similar sort of dystopian future setting... with Hunger Games I felt that (for the most part) the teens acted realistically within the scenario they established and world they grew up in, but in The 100 they did not, and instead were written to be 'cool' or 'relatable' to current-day teen viewers.
Old 03-20-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

After Earth meets Terra Nova? No thanks.
Old 03-20-14, 05:36 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

April O'Neil 2.0 looked pretty good.
Old 03-20-14, 07:05 PM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
After Earth meets Terra Nova? No thanks.
haha

watching, i thought about dinosaurs then thought about terra nova for some reason

maybe we will just get some mutated humans and weird fish
Old 03-20-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...t-lows/246162/

Ratings were really good (for The CW). It beat Arrow in viewers and the demos.

I'll try to watch this tonight after work.

I did skim a few critics reviews. They were generally mixed. I read Hitfix and Fienberg hated the 1st couple of episodes (He's seen 6 episodes), but says it's getting better. Shows that air on The CW are generally developed for a younger audience and I know not everyone here likes shows focused on teens or twenty-something characters.
Well, if it did that well, it spells doom for The Tomorrow People. It's very likely that those two shows are competing for the last renewal slot on The CW, and with TTP now on Monday with a weak lead-in, they're in trouble.
Old 03-20-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Alright. I just finished watching it. Great premise with lots of potential, but that wasn't a very good Pilot episode. DRG's comments in retrospect are pretty on the money.

The teen characters were borderline obnoxious. The blonde is supposed to be the main lead, but I didn't really resonate with her yet. Not enough of the adult characters. I thought the space scenes with the adults was the best part of the 40+ minutes. Nice to see Paige Turco, Kelly Hu and Isaiah Washington here. They have some decent older talent here. Henry Ian Cusick's American accent was just weird. It almost looked like he was dubbed.

Loved the Jasper character getting killed with the spear out of the blue. At least that was a decent way to end the episode.

As I already posted, this did get good ratings for CW standards, but I think there are a lot of kinks that need to be worked out.
Old 03-21-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If they were considering just killing off people to save oxygen, why send kids down that have criminal pasts? why not just send down the people that didnt break the law but were on the chopping block anyway?

there are now laws here . . . except you must obey me. almost a shame it cant end with them needing help from the space station but the people up there thinking they all died because they took off the bracelets.
Old 03-21-14, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

The teen characters were borderline obnoxious.
They weren't just borderline obnoxious--they were all raging assholes! That one guy (Finn) convinced two others to float around the ship with him and they died! And he just shrugs it off, like "whatevs." And they're setting him up to be a good guy! Even before the drop ship landed I was hoping it would explode and then the real 100 would be introduced. I died a little inside when the mopey brother from Continuum showed up. These idiots went all "lord of the flies" within their first 5 minutes on the ground. I was actually cheering when the hot chick was being attacked by the snake, and I was bitterly disappointed when she was rescued. As stupid as this bunch is, they'll all be dead within 3 days. They don't need to look for food, because they won't have time to starve to death. They should rename this show "The 100 Darwin Awards."

Can't wait for next week's episode!
Old 03-21-14, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thinking if I feel like dealing with a bunch of adults playing ridiculous acting teens........................
Old 03-22-14, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Terra Nova meets Lord of the Flies.

I thought it was alright. The Wife and kids enjoyed it so as long as I can get them into watching something together they like instead of burying their faces in phones and tablets ...
Old 03-22-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Haven't heard enough good about it to watch it now. May give it a try later, too much decent stuff to watch now.
Old 03-22-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skipping it for 1 reason, Matt Miller. Who is Matt Miller you ask? He's the son of a bitch that ruined Human Target in season 2.
Old 03-22-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
Skipping it for 1 reason, Matt Miller. Who is Matt Miller you ask? He's the son of a bitch that ruined Human Target in season 2.
Ugh I had no idea that he was show runner for this. Yeah this is a skip for me.
Old 03-22-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Terra Nova meets Lord of the Flies.

I thought it was alright. The Wife and kids enjoyed it so as long as I can get them into watching something together they like instead of burying their faces in phones and tablets ...
That is what I was thinking, it's a mash-up of dystopian Sci-fi and high school kids in a Lord of the Flies environment. I got a distinct Hunger Games vibe.

Honestly, I didn't mind this first episode. The backstory seems fairly ambitious, if a bit complicated. This pilot had a ton of exposition and introduced too many characters in one hour. The adult cast looks pretty good and could mesh, it is only a matter of time until some of them end up exiled to the surface.

Some of the teen characters are definitely obnoxious, but the CW is banking on them to draw a younger audience. I like the main "good" teens, the bossy blonde and the guy that refused to take off his bracelet. Most of the evil ones were annoying.

They had a great opportunity to do something truly surprising when the giant eel had the party girl in the water. Killing her off (she's obviously the "bad girl" lead) would have been a tremendous surprise for a pilot.
Old 03-22-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They had a great opportunity to do something truly surprising when the giant eel had the party girl in the water. Killing her off (she's obviously the "bad girl" lead) would have been a tremendous surprise for a pilot.
This was the kind of the problem that I had with the show. Too predictable. Fully expecting a "Jaws" type moment in the water. You don't kill off eye candy though. Then when the nerd was dancing around after his vine swing, I was just waiting for him to get offed in some fashion. Sure enough.
Old 03-24-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. I had the pilot on the DVR and even though I skipped it because of Matt Miller's involvement I decided to watch before deleting.

And I wasn't a fan. The premise was interesting, and I liked the adult actors, but the other actors didn't resonate with me at all. It just seemed like it was checking off random things that they figured people would be expecting to see and made sure the pilot had all of those things. This sure as hell isn't Lost.

On another note, I know the CW is desperate to have their own version of the Hunger Games, but I'm surprised they turned a single book into a series when the second book hasn't even been written yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.