DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV station logos...do you hate them? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618788-tv-station-logos-do-you-hate-them.html)

OldBoy 03-16-14 11:27 AM

TV station logos...do you hate them?

don't we know what station we are watching? why do we need it crammed down our throats?

for reasons unbeknownest to me, lately, they are just bothering me. every station, every show...logo.

it is bothering me.

you?

Lone Wolf 03-16-14 11:50 AM

Re: TV station logos...do you hate them?

The little hbogo vid that plays before everything drives me crazy. I don't know if its only on the roku or all hbogo apps. Its only a few seconds long bit it still drives me crazy. If I try to fast forward it, it freezes at the end and then I have to press play again. I intentionally selected hbogo to watch. I then looked through the movies to find something. I think I know what channel I'm on.

Anubis2005X 03-16-14 12:03 PM

I usually don't even notice it...

Bill Needle 03-16-14 12:03 PM

The things that bothers me are the promos that obliterate sometimes a third of the screen. Those are just beyond the pale.

TomOpus 03-16-14 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 12045955)
I usually don't even notice it...

Yep.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12045956)
The things that bothers me are the promos that obliterate sometimes a third of the screen. Those are just beyond the pale.

Big Yep.

Mike86 03-16-14 12:13 PM

I only get bothered by the ads for other shows that take up a good portion of the screen (Fox is especially notorious). The station bugs I usually don't care about or really notice that much.

Tabletopjoe 03-16-14 12:17 PM

I really hate station logos. Especially, El Rey's.

wearetheborg 03-16-14 12:22 PM

Do their gigantic logos have any actual utility? Do they make more people tune in?

Groucho 03-16-14 12:58 PM

What, are you high? I LOVE them!

resinrats 03-16-14 01:07 PM

Don't really notice the sort of ghosted station logos. Do hate the animated or video promos that pop up. Although I did get a laugh out of the White Rabbit drawing a hole in Show White's crotch that one time.

Alan Smithee 03-16-14 01:12 PM

Hate them more than anything else in the world. I would seriously love to strangle everyone who thinks they're a good idea. I was actually kicked off another message board frequented by industry people when I asked what anyone has GAINED by using them and nobody could provide a concrete answer, only the usual "theories" (main one being that they promote "brand identity".)

At this point I blame the general public for continuing to watch, but also the people behind the shows. They've remained mostly silent about the issue (except for The Simpsons early on)- there must be some sort of "understanding" that very bad things will happen to them if they dare to say anything. I swear most of the time logos are the elephant in the room- some people will comment about all sorts of ridiculous aspects of picture quality but be oblivious about a permanent logo on the picture. Having them positioned on HD pictures so that they won't be cut off if cropped to 4x3 is even more ridiculous.

Ironically, our local CW (Can't Watch!) station shows the most logo-free HD programming as they don't put their own logos on non-network shows, and the Antenna TV network is logo-free although a few affiliates (like KTLA) put their own bugs on it.

bluetoast 03-16-14 01:12 PM

This is probably the most notorious example of obscuring the program:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2vUtfG9Bkec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PhantomStranger 03-16-14 01:15 PM

Does any cablenet have a real logo anymore like NBC's peacock? No, they simply take their initials and put it in stylized script. They are ugly and take up way too much screen real estate.

Alan Smithee 03-16-14 01:27 PM

This one got some bad press:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F3WMpZFI2to" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Haven't seen Lost but it looks like they put a lot of time, effort and money into that show, and ruining it like that just seems so counter-productive. I know you can watch it clutter-free and commercial-free on Netflix now, but the TV airings were the first way it was shown and they should have shown a little more respect. The people behind the show should have demanded however that their show be aired without any on-screen crap. (ABC has been airing the Academy Awards with no bug, that must be one of the few things that industry people actually watch live.)

PhantomStranger 03-16-14 02:55 PM

I suspect the Academy demands the Oscars runs bug-free in their broadcast contract. The NFL has a similar provision. The most desirable content providers can demand it.

Rockmjd23 03-16-14 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12046024)

That is terrible! TBS is such a shitty network :lol:

MLBFan24 03-16-14 03:49 PM

I hate the countdowns and also the new hashtag messages

TomOpus 03-16-14 04:14 PM

While reading this thread I'm watching Mystery Diners on Food Network. They use a lot of subtitles. Several times almost 2/3 of the subtitle is completely obscured by some preview of one of their shows. Do they even see what they're doing?

Bill Needle 03-16-14 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 12046147)
...and also the new hashtag messages

Yes, the hashtag crap has got to stop. All of it. Everywhere.

Groucho 03-16-14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12046024)

You know, I think these might be more popular if they all had Jennifer Lawrence in them.

MrSmearkase 03-16-14 06:22 PM

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-con...-spiderman.gif

DJariya 03-16-14 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12046178)
Yes, the hashtag crap has got to stop. All of it. Everywhere.

You mean you're not the one tweeting

@BillNeedle on Twitter? Fuck....Unfollow. :mad:

The hashtag thing doesn't bother me because Twitter right now is considered the main form of interactive communication for TV shows and Movies with actors and behind the scenes people. The old farts seem to hate it, but it's the reality of the entertainment business nowadays.

Groucho 03-16-14 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12046326)
The hashtag thing doesn't bother me because Twitter right now is considered the main form of interactive communication for TV shows and Movies with <s>actors and behind the scenes people.</s> publicists

Fixed!

Gizmo 03-16-14 07:42 PM

Does anyone like them?

brainee 03-16-14 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 12046312)

http://www.fanphobia.net/uploads/fun...gic_Crotch.gif