DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Vice -- Weekly and Daily News Magazine Series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618761-vice-weekly-daily-news-magazine-series.html)

Nausicaa 03-26-15 04:06 PM

re: Vice -- Weekly and Daily News Magazine Series

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12433823)
The new season just started a few weeks ago. Some good episodes have aired so far. The 1st episode was about cancer research and it was pretty interesting. The next episode was an update about the Glaciers melting episode from last season. Some crazy and scary shit.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/hbo-vice...st-1201399154/

Good news. This is a crazy new deal that HBO signed with Vice.

Renewed through 2018

Episode order increased to 35 episodes per season

HBO will produce a daily Vice newscast for 48 weeks per year (5 shows per week)

Vice will be available on HBO Now

There will also be 32 Vice-produced specials throughout the year

If you've never seen Vice, it airs Fridays at 11pm. Very solid news magazine show. It's a much edgier version of 60 Minutes.

Hmm, yeah I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love their longform documentaries, but their auxiliary content online is really hit or miss. 35 episodes per season is good, but the newscast maybe not so much.

Anyway, I didn't know this had started airing. Watched the first episode about ice sheets in Antarctica melting and it was as good as the Greenland episode from season 2. Scary, interesting stuff. And they got Joe Biden on their show? That's pretty impressive.

DJariya 03-26-15 04:30 PM

I have no problems with the 35 episodes. The show is only 30 minutes and they only cover 2 stories per episode, so I think they can easily cover it. I thought 10 per season with too few and the gap between seasons too long since the topics can become dated so easily.

Now that I think about it, the 5 day per week newscast might be overkill. I wonder what the format is going to be like. I think it risks diluting the work they put into the weekly show. They do damn good work IMO sending reporters out to cover some really dark topics.

MikahC 03-27-15 01:43 AM

From a business standpoint, having 35 episodes per year will make me want to pretty much have HBO for the whole year. I do anyway, but I only really care if I miss Game of Thrones and Real Time.

After enjoying the show, I decided to add the Vice web site to my RSS feed. It's a flood of "stuff" I couldn't begin to keep up with. Maybe they have a more targeted feed I haven't found yet, but I don't go to Vice for "We Asked Some Geeks to Predict the Plot of the 'X-Files' Revival".

Hopefully the 35 episodes will be along the lines of what we've regularly seen on the TV show. I have no idea what the daily show will cover, but I'll give it a chance.

Neil M. 03-27-15 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MikahC (Post 12434540)
After enjoying the show, I decided to add the Vice web site to my RSS feed. It's a flood of "stuff" I couldn't begin to keep up with. Maybe they have a more targeted feed I haven't found yet, but I don't go to Vice for "We Asked Some Geeks to Predict the Plot of the 'X-Files' Revival".

I don't even go to the website anymore. It's full of click-bait and trashy stories. And they don't even attempt to hide their liberal bias. I really can't believe they are the same people responsible for the show.

DJariya 03-27-15 01:35 PM

I just watched the last episode that aired about the militias and the shark population dwindling.

I thought the shark story was pretty compelling. Scary to see the over-fishing and how the population is getting pretty close to extinction. Seemed like the ones over-doing it are the Chinese since Shark fin soup is a pretty popular delicacy in Asia.

Defiant1 03-28-15 12:10 AM

I do appreciate that Vice does stories that the mainstream news hardly ever covers, but they do really amp up the "tabloid news" scare tactics in their stories. I remember seeing a Vice story on the coup d'etat in Thailand in 2014. They made the country out to be some battleground on the verge of complete collapse, but when I went there in 2014, there was nothing scary at all and life for everyone was as normal as can be.

DJariya 03-28-15 10:15 PM

Did anyone see the Vice episode that aired last night?

Some really crazy stuff. Seeing that Vice reporter meet with the drug dealers and watch them traffic their drugs was crazy. Crazy to see how the drug trafficking trade from South America is financing so many terrorist organizations.

Second story about that baby making factory in India was also really interesting. Just amazing how dirt poor they are over there and these women have to resort to this to survive. I guess when you can make 6,000 to 9,000 for 9 months of work as opposed to 40 bucks a month, the choice is almost a non-brainer for these women. I mean these are mostly uneducated women with little to no prospects in life.

mrhan 03-28-15 10:42 PM

The custom gun segment they did the Phillipines was really good. I wanted to see more of that.

Neil M. 03-29-15 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12435964)
Did anyone see the Vice episode that aired last night?

Some really crazy stuff. Seeing that Vice reporter meet with the drug dealers and watch them traffic their drugs was crazy. Crazy to see how the drug trafficking trade from South America is financing so many terrorist organizations.

Something seemed a little off to me on the way that story was presented. They blindfolded the reporter yet they allowed the cameraman to film him while they were driving?

Spiderbite 03-29-15 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M. (Post 12436215)
Something seemed a little off to me on the way that story was presented. They blindfolded the reporter yet they allowed the cameraman to film him while they were driving?

I wondered the same thing.

DJariya 11-03-15 07:06 PM

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2...151103aande01/

H2 (or History 2) is being dissolved and will become "Viceland" a new 24/7 channel for Vice content.

It will launch early next year. Weird that Vice is partnering up with a competing network when they have a deal with HBO.

OldBoy 11-03-15 07:08 PM

interesting.

MikahC 11-03-15 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12635716)

H2 (or History 2) is being dissolved and will become "Viceland" a new 24/7 channel for Vice content.

If the channel will be anything like their web site, they need it. After watching the HBO show, I tried adding a RSS feed from Vice and about blew up my news reader there were so many articles flooding through. I quickly removed it.

Weird that Vice is partnering up with a competing network when they have a deal with HBO.
I think the HBO show and the 24/7 channel will cover very different types of content. I suspect the HBO show will continue to be the destination for "event" investigative reporting.

DJariya 02-05-16 04:27 PM

FYI, Vice's 4th season premieres tonight at 11pm ET

DJariya 02-22-16 02:03 PM

Wow, just watched Friday's episode, which dealt with assisted suicide.

Very emotional episode. They actually filmed an assisted suicide of an older European women with a terminal illness. (It was through injections) It was both moving and sad.

Josh-da-man 02-22-16 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12635716)

It will launch early next year. Weird that Vice is partnering up with a competing network when they have a deal with HBO.

I suppose it was inevitable that the History Channel would need to do some rethinking after the world didn't end on 12-21-2012 and 90% of their programming catalog became obsolete.

Red Dog 02-22-16 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12732130)

Very emotional episode. They actually filmed an assisted suicide of an older European women with a terminal illness. (It was through injections) It was both moving and sad.

That was a powerful episode.

dex14 03-01-16 07:14 AM

Just FYI, the Viceland network started up yesterday.

RichC2 03-01-16 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12732130)

Ugh I can't do that again, How to Die in Oregon was scaring enough.

DJariya 10-11-16 04:50 PM

Did anyone happen to catch the premiere of Vice News Tonight on HBO last night? I forgot about it until I saw an HBO ad today.

It's the 5 day per week Vice News telecast and last night was the launch and airs at 7:30pm ET. Looks like it's a 1 and done daily show with no re-airs.

It's only a 30 minute telecast. Considering how busy everyone's TV schedule is right now, I wouldn't be surprised if most of you had no idea it was on and have no time to watch it.

whotony 10-11-16 05:55 PM

What was the subject last night?

DJariya 10-11-16 09:55 PM

So I watched Vice News Tonight (my 1st episode)

They jammed in a lot of stories in the 30 minutes. I think it was like 6 or 7 stories.

Anyways, I thought the most compelling story was the Filipino Crime Scene photographer who has to cover the Mass murders of many suspected drug dealers and criminals by Vigilante death squads. Pretty graphic segment. Lots of dead bodies shown uncensored.

Most pointless segment was the final one with Shane Smith talking to former speaker of the house John Boehner and get his thoughts about the election. He resigned about 1 year ago and has been out of the public eye. Does anyone really care what he thinks?

Not sure if I could watch this daily. I am concerned doing this show may hurt the actual seasonal weekly series when that returns. But I was impressed how they compiled all these stories and produced the show.

jfoobar 10-28-16 04:01 PM

I was very excited when this news show was announced last year and then totally missed its premiere. I only started watching a couple of days ago. That said, I am a fan of the format and enjoy that they seem to be not only covering a lot of international stories that the domestic cable news channels either skip or only briefly comment on (especially during election season) but also keeping their bias down to a modest level. If you watch some of the shows over on the Viceland channel, the bias can get pretty bad.

DJariya 08-15-17 11:51 AM

If you have HBO Go or HBO Now, watch last nights Vice News tonight.

Holy shit. They had cameras rolling and interviews going during and before the Charlottesville incident.

Some horrifying first hand stuff. Just unbelievable to see these kind of hate-filled people. It's fully Uncut.

I think the episode is also available on Vice's YouTube page if you don't have HBO.

dex14 08-15-17 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13135221)

I think the episode is also available on Vice's YouTube page if you don't have HBO.

It is. It was posted and discussed in the Politics forum as well.