DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Survivor: Cagayan -- "Our Time To Shine" -- 3/12/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618713-survivor-cagayan-our-time-shine-3-12-14-a.html)

DJariya 03-12-14 07:22 PM

Survivor: Cagayan -- "Our Time To Shine" -- 3/12/14

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2014/01...al_900x586.jpg

ONE TRIBE CONSIDERS THROWING AN IMMUNITY CHALLENGE IN ORDER TO BENCH ONE OF ITS STRONGEST PLAYERS, ON "SURVIVOR," WEDNESDAY, MARCH 12

"Our Time To Shine" - One Tribe considers throwing an immunity challenge in order to bench one of its strongest players. Also, a meltdown at a reward challenge could mark the end for one struggling castaway, on SURVIVOR, Wednesday, March 12 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CASTAWAYS:

Brawn Tribe
Cliff Robinson
Lindsey Ogle
Sarah Lacina
Tony Vlachos
Trish Hegarty
Yung "Woo" Hwang

Brains Tribe
David Samson (1st Voted Off)
Garrett Adelstein (2nd Voted Off)
J'Tia Taylor
Kassandra "Kass" McQuillen
Latasha "Tasha" Fox
Spencer Bledsoe

Beauty Tribe
Alexis Maxwell
Brice Johnston (3rd Voted Off)
Jefra Bland
Jeremiah Wood
LJ McKanas
Morgan McLeod

Read more: Listings - SURVIVOR on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2vnW3qJ5V

aktick 03-12-14 08:39 PM

Re: Survivor: Cagayan -- "Our Time To Shine" -- 3/12/14

To absolutely nobody's surprise, the cops are annoying. That is all. Boring episode.

Axeramm 03-12-14 10:11 PM

brains finally showed some and got rid of J'Tia. Had they voted Spencer I would have loved them to lose the next 3 weeks and be wiped out before the merge. I know that would present some challenge problems but would have been nice to see.

dfmaverick2 03-12-14 10:30 PM

cops 'r us...when did this become Big Brother with naming your alliance?

Good to see Spencer hang around. J'Tia was less than worthless in challenges and she just looks psycho.

wirefan 03-13-14 12:44 AM

So I guess they did away with the rule of communicating with each other once tribal council starts? Seems like Jeff was almost encouraging it for the TV drama.

brainee 03-13-14 01:00 AM

When one team is trying to throw the challenge and you still lose to them ... you really really suck. Has challenge-throwing ever worked in the long run? As far as I remember, it seemed that karma had a way of biting those players in the ass.

Tony's the only player who's actively annoying me. He seems like he's trying to be some combination of Boston Rob and Russell Hantz, without the skill to pull it off. Sure, lying and treachery is part of the game. But if you do it to everyone, you're going to be exposed and are giving yourself no chance at winning.

I enjoyed the egg biology discussion at the Beauty camp. Yeah ... they're not there for their brains :)

Anyone watch the previews for next week?
Spoiler:
Looks like the producers have given on the Brains team, and the whole Beauty/Brawn/Brains concept is getting thrown out the window. Too early for a merge, but swapping things up to two tribes seems likely. I've always preferred when its just 2 tribes anyway.

Shannon Nutt 03-13-14 07:31 AM

Not enough Morgan last night. That is all.

Cardsfan111 03-13-14 08:02 AM

I can't believe there was that much drama about whether to vote out Spencer or J'Tia.

Cardsfan111 03-13-14 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12042650)
Anyone watch the previews for next week?
Spoiler:
Looks like the producers have given on the Brains team, and the whole Beauty/Brawn/Brains concept is getting thrown out the window. Too early for a merge, but swapping things up to two tribes seems likely. I've always preferred when its just 2 tribes anyway.

And an interesting comment from Probst about that:

Spoiler:
For one person the switch is just about the worst thing that could happen. That’s when Survivor “luck” really sucks.

Josh-da-man 03-13-14 09:04 AM

Seriously... were these best 'brains' they could get?

creekdipper 03-13-14 11:43 AM

http://www.jeffprobst.com/img/kissme_index_cs.jpg

Is this for real? Was looking for Probst's latest comments re: switching up the tribes & saw this posted on his own blog. Supposedly about two 15-year-old girls 'testing the limits of their friendship' (and something something about an older man...I guess that would be John Corbett). Is this a joke or is Probst actually directing this? I noticed a bunch of "Survivor" books for young fans supposedly written by him listed there, too. Who knew? (maybe everybody)

Navinabob 03-13-14 11:48 AM

J'Tia may be the most worthless player I've ever seen in this game. She's like the dim witted runt in a Philip & Cochran litter.

creekdipper 03-13-14 12:06 PM

Anyway, I started to be the second poster last night but wanted to make sure that a switchup was actually happening this early (with 14 contestants still left). Was torn between saying, "Well, that was quick" and "About time."

Glad to see them jettison the whole concept (what can they do otherwise...have a "Brains-Beauty" tribe vs. a "Brains-Brawn" tribe?) instead of keeping up this nutty pretense that there was actually any real social experiment taking place ( having tribes in which the 'distinct' traits were emphasized to the near-exclusion of the other traits; i.e., a homely, stupid, strong tribe + a homely, physically-weak, smart tribe + a stupid, physically-weak, pretty tribe. What we got were contestants with a mixture of all traits with few standing out distinctly; in fact, people such as L.J. could have fit on any of the three tribes).

Loved a comment on the "4 Questions for Jeff" EW blog in which a guy blasted the producers for once again putting up this gimmicky setup only to abandon it the minute one tribe starts being decimated. He called them out for their B.S. (done before with race, gender, etc.) in that they do this just to have a "new" hook for a season and then quickly go back to the SOP instead of letting the 'experiment' :lol: play out. If anything, it was just an excuse to get a bunch of good-looking babes in bikinis together in one shot as much as possible. Along with spot-on analysis from a few long-time fans fed up with the gimmicky start, you did get the usual comment such as "Morgan stirs my organ" -ohbfrank-)

I was hoping they'd have to change the opening logo, but I'm sure Probst will spin this as he did before when he said their "little social experiment" was "playing out quite nicely." Yeah, Jeff. That's why you castigated the "Brains" [sic] unmercifully a couple of weeks ago for failing during a completely physical challenge (throwing/catching water in buckets) and then last night proclaimed them to be "the most unlikely tribe" to be catching up during a completely physical challenge. So are we to understand that Probst has finally realized that having smarts doesn't necessarily aid you in diving for balls or catching water? Were any viewers taken in by this sham after the first couple of weeks revealed the flaw in the casting that didn't allow for the supposedly distinctive traits to shine? Aside from the fact that the "Beauty" tribe keeps winning challenges, how could anyone think that the Brains tribe could hope to compete in the challenges unless the puzzles were hopelessly complicated (or the other tribes were hopelessly stupid)?

Probst said how exciting the basketball challenge was when it came down to the "NBA superstar vs. the young college nerd"...and it was fun, although I don't see Spencer as all that "nerdy." He just seems like a typical young dude...reasonably coordinated, not super-smart, not homely or overly-attractive...in other words, a pretty average Joe.

Be nice if they just split into two tribes, give them new names, and never again refer to the BBB idea for the rest of the season.

creekdipper 03-13-14 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12043035)
J'Tia may be the most worthless player I've ever seen in this game. She's like the dim witted runt in a Philip & Cochran litter.

In a non-gimmicky season, she'd have been gone in a heartbeat (unless some people wanted to strategically keep her around as a non-possibility to win). Even Probst said it was "nuts" to keep her around after the rice incident.

She was kinda cute, though...woulda thought she'd have been a lock for a stereotypical "beauty" tribe (all looks, no common sense or physical ability).

Navinabob 03-13-14 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper (Post 12043060)
What we got were contestants with a mixture of all traits with few standing out distinctly; in fact, people such as L.J. could have fit on any of the three tribes).

You think LJ is beautiful? This explains so many of your other posts... ;)

creekdipper 03-13-14 12:12 PM

Anyway, I started to be the second poster last night but wanted to make sure that a switchup was actually happening this early (with 14 contestants still left). Was torn between saying, "Well, that was quick" and "About time."

Glad to see them jettison the whole concept (what can they do otherwise...have a "Brains-Beauty" tribe vs. a "Brains-Brawn" tribe?) instead of keeping up this nutty pretense that there was actually any real social experiment taking place (instead of having tribes in which the 'distinct' traits were emphasized to the near-exclusion of the other traits; i.e., an ugly, stupid brawns tribe + an ugly, physically-weak brains tribe + a stupid, physically-weak beauty tribe. What we got were contestants with a mixture of all traits with few standing out distinctly; in fact, people such as L.J. could have fit on any of the three tribes).

Loved a comment on the "4 Questions for Jeff" EW blog in which a guy blasted the producers for once again putting up this gimmicky setup only to abandon it the minute one tribe starts being decimated. He called them out for their B.S. (done before with race, gender, etc.) in that they do this just to have a "new" hook for a season and then quickly go back to the SOP instead of letting the 'experiment' :lol: play out. If anything, it was just an excuse to get a bunch of good-looking babes in bikinis together in one shot as much as possible. Along with spot-on analysis from a few long-time fans fed up with the gimmicky start, you did get the usual comment such as "Morgan stirs my organ" -ohbfrank-)

I was hoping they'd have to change the opening logo, but I'm sure Probst will spin this as he did before when he said their "little social experiment" was "playing out quite nicely." Yeah, Jeff. That's why you castigated the "Brains" [sic] unmercifully a couple of weeks ago for failing during a completely physical challenge (throwing/catching water in buckets) and then last night proclaimed them to be "the most unlikely tribe" to be catching up during a completely physical challenge. So are we to understand that Probst has finally realized that having smarts doesn't necessarily aid you in diving for balls or catching water? Were any viewers taken in by this sham after the first couple of weeks revealed the flaw in the casting that didn't allow for the supposedly distinctive traits to shine? Aside from the fact that the "Beauty" tribe keeps winning challenges, how could anyone think that the Brains tribe could hope to compete in the challenges unless the puzzles were hopelessly complicated (or the other tribes were hopelessly stupid)?

Probst said how exciting the basketball challenge was when it came down to the "NBA superstar vs. the young college nerd"...and it was fun, although I don't see Spencer as all that "nerdy." He just seems like a typical young dude...reasonably coordinated, not super-smart, not homely or overly-attractive...in other words, a pretty average Joe.

Be nice if they just split into two tribes, give them new names, and never again refer to the BBB idea for the rest of the season.

davidh777 03-13-14 12:16 PM

Glad J'Tia is finally gone and there's no Redemption Island! :dance:

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12042650)
When one team is trying to throw the challenge and you still lose to them ... you really really suck. Has challenge-throwing ever worked in the long run? As far as I remember, it seemed that karma had a way of biting those players in the ass.

No, it never works. I'm just glad the brains team was too lame to let the plan succeed (just because my DVDTalk player is on brawn).

Shinobi 03-13-14 12:32 PM

Here's hoping that Morgan's longevity odds will increase after next week's episode.

creekdipper 03-13-14 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob (Post 12043066)
You think LJ is beautiful? This explains so many of your other posts... ;)

I think he's gorgeous...all that manly, man smell from working in the stalls!

Evidently Jeff thinks so, too, since he put L.J. on the Beauty Tribe!

Closet-dwellers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your...(gulp!).

[Looking at the group photo again, I still don't understand how Brice & Morgan are considered more attractive than Woo & J'Tia. I get the many posters here who are :drool: over M's bosom, but overall she just seems kind of lumpy and not that well-proportioned. And her face is a 6.5 at best.]

creekdipper 03-13-14 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shinobi (Post 12043101)
Here's hoping that Morgan's longevity odds will increase after next week's episode.

I can understand her sitting out the diving challenge...no way she'd ever stay underwater long enough to retrieve anything.

Navinabob 03-13-14 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by creekdipper (Post 12043103)
I think he's gorgeous...all that manly, man smell from working in the stalls!

Evidently Jeff thinks so, too, since he put L.J. on the Beauty Tribe!

Closet-dwellers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your...(gulp!).

:lol:

TomOpus 03-13-14 01:35 PM

From the weekly "4 Questions for Jeff" blog:

EW: Going back to the blindfolded reward challenge, you seemed to have those posts lined up exactly at crotch level for maximum impact. Why do that to those poor bastards, Jeff? And why is watching people get hit in the groin never not funny?

PROBST: Wow, I hadn’t noticed that about the height thing. Hmm… I guess it just musta been a weird coincidence that just happened to play in our favor. You pick up on so many great details. I will make note of it though for next time. Although it might be related to construction — meaning maybe we have to pound the posts into the ground and that’s just the height they have to be at and that height just happens to match the average height of a human’s groin. Now that I think more about it, that’s probably it. As for why it’s always funny, well that’s easy. It dates back to fifth grade when “getting racked” seemed to be a daily occurrence; at least it was for me. It brings back all those great memories. Those were the days….

fujishig 03-13-14 02:54 PM

The thing is, you can say that the brain tribe doesn't have that big of an advantage because it only takes a certain level of smarts to win... but they started off with a guy who could have easily been on the brawn tribe, and voted him off the first chance they got, and were apparently about to vote their last guy out. So I can't feel that bad about them being dominated in physical challenges.

As far as the tribe delineation goes, obviously they couldn't go too over the top with brains, brawn, or beauty without mixing in some other traits. The Beauty tribe seems to be, with maybe one exception, people who identify themselves as beautiful or who would otherwise consider that their best trait. Same with brain, even the strong guy who went home was pretty proud of his IQ. So I see it more as grouping people who are used to relying mostly on one of the traits, even if they are not the most dominant in that area.

Trelach24 03-13-14 02:57 PM

They played up that whole throwing the challenge thing too much for it to not come back in a major way in the future. Why even show that stuff if they didn't even lose the challenge? I had completely forgotten about it until the female cop said something about it after they didn't lose.

PhantomStranger 03-13-14 03:11 PM

I don't like seasons when they start out with three tribes but I believe I know the reasons behind it. They want to protect some of the obvious, weaker players during the first couple of vote-offs before they can establish relationships. Weak members are very vulnerable during the first couple of tribals but have a much better chance of surviving once alliances have been formed. Splitting the group into three tribes usually saves a couple of very weak members from getting voted off in the early going.