Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Survivor: Cagayan -- "Our Time To Shine" -- 3/12/14

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
And an interesting comment from Probst about that:

Spoiler:
For one person the switch is just about the worst thing that could happen. That’s when Survivor “luck” really sucks.
Spoiler:
The players this hurts the most are those in a solid alliance, thinking they're in control of the game, who suddenly find themselves at the bottom of the totem pole. From what we've seen, one of our Cops R Us members would fit that description (especially Tony).

Originally Posted by creekdipper
http://www.jeffprobst.com/img/kissme_index_cs.jpg

Is this for real? Was looking for Probst's latest comments re: switching up the tribes & saw this posted on his own blog. Supposedly about two 15-year-old girls 'testing the limits of their friendship' (and something something about an older man...I guess that would be John Corbett). Is this a joke or is Probst actually directing this? I noticed a bunch of "Survivor" books for young fans supposedly written by him listed there, too. Who knew? (maybe everybody)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UEnYQnPuRmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

Pam from the Office and Tom Hanks' wife are also in there. Looks like a made-for-tv movie on something like Lifetime. But yep ... it's our Jeff Probst! Maybe we'll get to see this movie as a "reward" in an upcoming Survivor challenge. Now that would be a challenge I wouldn't blame some for throwing.

Originally Posted by Trelach24
They played up that whole throwing the challenge thing too much for it to not come back in a major way in the future. Why even show that stuff if they didn't even lose the challenge?
Well, you could see the two Brawn women trying to blow it during the challenge. J'Tia just outsucked them both. I thought knowing the "throw" was in play added an extra layer of hilarity.

But to your first point ... yeah, Survivor is never subtle about foreshadowing. At this stage in the game, being so cocky as to think you could sacrifice a strong player and numbers by throwing a challenge? As it usually seems to, karma could be coming back on someone.
Old 03-14-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The brawn tribe attempting to throw an immunity challenge was horrible. It made no sense. They have been winning challenges without issue. I get that they want Cliff out, but why not wait work as a team to take out the other tribes before turning on him? The fact that they got Woo to basically turn on Cliff is good enough for the long run. Now, by asking him to throw a challenge, I don't know if Woo will stick with them. He clearly had no intention of throwing it.

I can't believe J'Tia stayed in the game this long. One of the worst Survivors ever. I feel for Spencer, he was dealt a shitty hand. If he doesn't make it far in the game I hope he's one of those players that returns. In a better circumstance I think he would do very well.

"We know that eggs first because dinosaurs laid eggs and they came before the chickens."

Morgan might be the opposite of J'Tia. She seems like she's dumb as bricks but she seems to be smart at playing the game. First she successfully covered up her decision to look for the idol. Then she openly threw Jeremiah under the bus to possibly drop him to the bottom of the alliance, possibly allowing her to stick around.
Old 03-14-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The brawn tribe attempting to throw an immunity challenge was horrible. It made no sense. They have been winning challenges without issue. I get that they want Cliff out, but why not wait work as a team to take out the other tribes before turning on him? The fact that they got Woo to basically turn on Cliff is good enough for the long run. Now, by asking him to throw a challenge, I don't know if Woo will stick with them. He clearly had no intention of throwing it.

I can't believe J'Tia stayed in the game this long. One of the worst Survivors ever. I feel for Spencer, he was dealt a shitty hand. If he doesn't make it far in the game I hope he's one of those players that returns. In a better circumstance I think he would do very well.

"We know that eggs first because dinosaurs laid eggs and they came before the chickens."

Morgan might be the opposite of J'Tia. She seems like she's dumb as bricks but she seems to be smart at playing the game. First she successfully covered up her decision to look for the idol. Then she openly threw Jeremiah under the bus to possibly drop him to the bottom of the alliance, possibly allowing her to stick around.
Oh, Morgan is very socially astute, which is what is needed in this game. No problem throwing others under the bus to save her own skin, or lying to make herself look better.
Old 03-14-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Well, you could see the two Brawn women trying to blow it during the challenge. J'Tia just outsucked them both. I thought knowing the "throw" was in play added an extra layer of hilarity.
Yeah, knowing that made the challenge more interesting to watch since we knew they were trying to suck. Otherwise we would have just assumed they naturally suck, which is what I usually assume.
Old 03-14-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I always wonder before a team throws a challenge if Probst is clued into their plan, or if he's just watching and wondering what's off.
Old 03-15-14, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I feel for Spencer, he was dealt a shitty hand. If he doesn't make it far in the game I hope he's one of those players that returns. In a better circumstance I think he would do very well.
He's always got that gig as Jimmy Olsen in a future Superman movie.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, knowing that made the challenge more interesting to watch since we knew they were trying to suck. Otherwise we would have just assumed they naturally suck, which is what I usually assume.
What I was wondering was whether they'd show any discussion back at the camp. Surely Cliff knew what they were doing...kind of floundering around just floating with the ball & not making any effort to throw it back while he's sitting there waiting. Cliff has seen enough flopping in the NBA not to recognize it when it happens.
Old 03-15-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
He's always got that gig as Jimmy Olsen in a future Superman movie.
I had the exact same thought when I saw him.
Old 03-16-14, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

No more J'Tia

Not enough Morgan in this episode.

The 2 cops are starting to get pretty annoying.

Pretty amazing that Cliff Robinson played more games in the NBA than Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan as he was quoting in the episode, yet he won 0 NBA titles in his career.

It's funny how everyone assumes all the ex athletes have millions of dollars in the bank and don't need to be here. Does nobody appreciate the competition aspect of this show and people who just want to compete?
Old 03-16-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
No more J'Tia

Pretty amazing that Cliff Robinson played more games in the NBA than Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Michael Jordan as he was quoting in the episode, yet he won 0 NBA titles in his career.
That list is pretty big. Off the top of my head: Malone, Stockton, Jason Kidd, Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson, Big smooth Sam Perkins. And those are guys I only remember from NBA finals.
Old 03-16-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
That list is pretty big. Off the top of my head: Malone, Stockton, Jason Kidd, Reggie Miller, Mark Jackson, Big smooth Sam Perkins. And those are guys I only remember from NBA finals.
When you said that, I wondered if Cliff had ever made the finals, but I see he made it twice with Portland. I feel like I was always rooting for Portland against someone else (usually the Lakers) but it had slipped my mind that they got so close twice. I also think of Cliff as a Blazer and forgot he had gone to a few other teams.
Old 03-16-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

How can anyone forget Cliff Robinson in the background looking dumbfounded while Jordan shrugs to Magic at the announcer's table during the NBA Finals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLDNxhFCXPs

Damn, how did we ever watch non-HD?
Old 03-18-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Here's hoping that Morgan's longevity odds will increase after next week's episode.
Amen.