Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Resurrection -- Series Premiere -- "The Returned" -- 3/09/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Resurrection -- Series Premiere -- "The Returned" -- 3/09/14

"The Returned" - The people of Arcadia, Missouri are forever changed when their deceased loved ones suddenly start to reappear, on the series premiere of "Resurrection," SUNDAY, MARCH 9 (9:00-10:01 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

In "The Returned," an 8-year-old American boy (Landon Gimenez) wakes up alone in a rice paddy in a rural Chinese province with no idea how he got there. Details start to emerge when the boy, who calls himself Jacob, recalls that his hometown is Arcadia, and an Immigration agent, J. Martin Bellamy (Omar Epps), takes him there. The home he claims as his own is occupied by a 60-year-old couple, Henry (Kurtwood Smith) and Lucille Langston (Frances Fisher), who lost their son, Jacob, more than 30 years ago.

While they look different, young Jacob recognizes them as his parents. Lucille is overjoyed at the seeming miracle of her son's reappearance. Henry is reluctant to accept that Jacob is back. Those closest to the family want answers, including Sheriff Fred Langston (Matt Craven), whose wife Barbara drowned 30 years ago while trying to save Jacob, and Fred's daughter, Maggie (Devin Kelley), a local doctor. Pastor Tom Hale (Mark Hildreth) seeks a spiritual reason for what's happening in his community. When things take an even more shocking turn, Maggie's life-long friend, Elaine Richards (Samaire Armstrong), finds herself drawn into Arcadia's growing mystery.

"Resurrection" stars Omar Epps ("House") as J. Martin Bellamy, Frances Fisher ("Titanic") as Lucille Langston, Matt Craven ("Crimson Tide," "A Few Good Men") as Fred Langston, Devin Kelley ("Chernobyl Diaries," "The Chicago Code") as Maggie Langston, Mark Hildreth ("The Tudors") as Pastor Tom Hale, Samaire Armstrong ("Entourage," "The O.C.") as Elaine Richards, Sam Hazeldine ("The Raven") as Caleb Richards, Landon Gimenez as Jacob and Kurtwood Smith ("That '70s Show") as Henry Langston.

8 episode 1st season

This show was created by Aaron Zelman, who worked on The Killing, Damages and a few other shows.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RGtNrz8dhV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know we're at a point in the year that most of you already have a lot to watch and taking on another 8-13 episode show is just killing you. So, if you really don't have the time to take on another show, so be it.

This is an interesting premise and a really short season, so I think it's worth trying to do weekly threads for this. I know Sundays are horrendously busy and not many of you have the time to stay awake and watch 5-6 shows.
Old 03-09-14, 08:07 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: Resurrection -- Series Premiere -- "The Returned" -- 3/09/14

Will try to watch this On Demand. Don't have the room on Sundays currently.
Old 03-09-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
Will try to watch this On Demand. Don't have the room on Sundays currently.
It gets worse next week. The Alfonso Cuaron show Believe will air at 9pm along with the new Gillian Anderson show Crisis at 10pm. Both on Sunday night.
Old 03-09-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

The 4400 without the special powers?
Old 03-09-14, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
The 4400 without the special powers?
Atleast that show got 4 seasons!
Old 03-09-14, 08:26 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It gets worse next week. The Alfonso Cuaron show Believe will air at 9pm along with the new Gillian Anderson show Crisis at 10pm. Both on Sunday night.
Shit... I thought Believe was on Mondays... Damnit... well... True Detective being gone will temporarily leave a spot open.
Old 03-09-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Crap ... forgot about this. How soon does ABC post episodes online?
Old 03-09-14, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Intriguing first episode. I enjoyed it enough to stick with it.

With all the multiple airings of shows on HBO and AMC, I think I should be OK with this and Believe provided TAR never runs long.

(Actually, I've got 3 dual-tuner DVRs in my house so I'll be OK regardless).
Old 03-09-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

good stuff. The kid is not (yet) annoying so that is a plus and I am looking forward to what they do with the returned. I assume Jacob is the key to the mystery because the other guy said the boy was the reason he was going back to Arcadia.
Old 03-09-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the pilot. Several months ago, I read the book that the series is based on. I enjoyed the book. Of course, there are changes from the book to the show.
Spoiler:
The parents in the book were older and the kid died in the 1960s. The characters connected with the kid's death on the show weren't in the book. There are few other changes and characters who weren't in the book.
Old 03-09-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Crap ... forgot about this. How soon does ABC post episodes online?
I think they post episodes the next day.
Old 03-10-14, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I liked it. Will stick around for a bit.
Didn't like that the kid knew how to use the phone considering they had no such tech 32 years ago.
It seemed that they wanted to open a cold case for the Aunt rather than ask the question ... how, and/or why is the dead kid back. Minor stuff though I guess for a TV show.
Old 03-10-14, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I enjoyed it and I just saw it's quite the short season, likely not too bad as I have a TON of stuff as it is. At least I don't watch much live.

Originally Posted by VHS?
Didn't like that the kid knew how to use the phone considering they had no such tech 32 years ago.
It seemed that they wanted to open a cold case for the Aunt rather than ask the question ... how, and/or why is the dead kid back. Minor stuff though I guess for a TV show.
Sure anyone can figure something out yet I thought that was really quick for the drawing app that was not even open yet.
Old 03-10-14, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I think they had the how and why for the kid pretty well in the foreground. But the idea that the kid somehow had knowledge of something that happened just before his death is also very important.

I mean it's not just coaching and cloning at that point. If they can prove what he said was true, the mystery deepens.

And of course, we're not talking about missing people here, like in The 4400. There are presumably dead bodies of these people that have returned (the previews show that will be addressed).

As for the kid knowing how to use the phone, I think that's going to be addressed as well.
Old 03-10-14, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Really good. Definitely the best of all the ABC midseason shows.

Good ensemble cast and I liked the mystery that was setup. It definitely has a The 4400 vibe.

I really liked the flashback to the incident with Jacob and Barbara. It had an eerie vibe.

Liked the end reveal with the father. That was cool.

I'm in for the remaining 7 weeks.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-10-14 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought it was pretty interesting also. I'm just hoping that it doesn't turn into some sort of lame premise in the coming weeks...
Old 03-10-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I read the book this week, to be "ready" for the show. It's a really short book, around 350 pages. As mentioned before the show makes a few changes from the book. They are also going for a different vibe here.

My wife didn't like too much that they made those changes, and the new vibe. I'm still making up my mind. But I knew that they had to make changes to make the book a regular series. Otherwise it would be a miniseries.

Based on the first episode I can think of the show as a mix of Twin Peaks, Lost, etc.
Old 03-10-14, 09:16 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Really good. Definitely the best of all the ABC midseason shows.

Good ensemble cast and I liked the mystery that was setup. It definitely has a The 4400 vibe.

I really liked the flashback to the incident with Jacob and Barbara. It had an eerie vibe.

Liked the end reveal with the father. That was cool.

I'm in for the remaining 7 weeks.
I'm in as well, but the last time a midseason show was renewed by ABC was Grey's Anatomy. Shame as this is pretty fantastic (so far).

Why they would premiere crap like Killer Women early is beyond me.
Old 03-10-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

big 3.6 in demos for Resurrection. WOW!
Old 03-10-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's huge considering all the competition.

Hopefully the feedback from viewers is as good as this thread.
Old 03-10-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I think I missed it but who was the bald guy supposed to be that tried to save the woman in the river and was sleeping with her.

Good to see Red Forman and Eric Foreman together finally.
Old 03-10-14, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by windom
I think I missed it but who was the bald guy supposed to be that tried to save the woman in the river and was sleeping with her.
It was revealed toward the end that she was having an affair & that he most likely wouldn't have come forward with information on the drowning in order to keep the affair a secret.
Old 03-10-14, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So does it look like all of the returning folk are just in this town? I had thought the plot might have been world-wide, but the preview and the father appearing indicate otherwise.
Old 03-10-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmylad
It was revealed toward the end that she was having an affair & that he most likely wouldn't have come forward with information on the drowning in order to keep the affair a secret.
But did they reveal the identity of the guy? Was it Kurtwood Smith's character or did he just know the identity of that guy?
Old 03-10-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom
But did they reveal the identity of the guy? Was it Kurtwood Smith's character or did he just know the identity of that guy?
Henry told Fred that the man at the river was Barbara's lover. That's it. There was nothing else added. We don't know who he is otherwise. Fred was upset about the news that's why he was drinking at the cemetery. Wouldn't surprise me if Barbara came back into the picture in a future episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.