Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "Alone" -- 3/09/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Alone" -- 3/09/14

Yeah, a lot of people are complaining about this second half. For me they are hit and miss.
I thought this episode was ok.

So far the numbers/ratings are good, so we will see if all the people complaining really take action. I know, I know, this show has a lot of complainers, but I do think this second half will be harder for a lot of people.

I still think the first half of the second season is the worst, though.
Old 03-10-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Talking dead had a lot of legs on.
Yowza!

Old 03-10-14, 09:19 AM

I thought the open with Bob was great. I know we had that lone survivor in a way with Michonne after the prison and the Governor after killing all his people, but Bob on his own just seemed more hopeless. That is how I picture it would be. Just trying to find the next spot to rest before heading on.

I enjoyed the episode and the season as a whole. I may be in the minority but this season has felt like the comic more.
Old 03-10-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Daryl and Glenn picked up Bob but Rick, Carl and Michonne passing the hitchhiker twice on the side of the road was inconsistent. It wasn't like they found out Bob was a medic before taking him in. They took him in while Rick and company did't even think twice about the hitchhiker they left for dead. I did like the episode but hated the fake out with Bob being bit.
Rick and Michonne leaving the hitchhiker wasn't inconsistent. At the time they were in the midst of a war with the Governor, Rick was already suspicious of Michonne and adding another stranger to the mix probably seemed like a bad idea.

After taking in the Woodbury people, Rick seemed to adopt a "We can give everyone a chance" mindset, illustrated by the series of questions he and his group ask people before potentially bringing someone into the fold. We saw Rick asking them of that woman he found in the woods, and Glenn and Daryl asking them of Bob.
Old 03-10-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I shit all over this show last week. This episode was much, much better. Nevertheless what Abob Teff said is dead on. This season has been so aimless even a decent episode can't redeem it. The whole thing has felt like a season in reverse, with a pretty eventful kick-off (even if all the governor stuff should have been resolved before), and slowly petering off into nothing.

This show desperately needs to move beyond relying on its core premise for drama, and develop some actual overarching plots and interesting storylines. I get mad every time this show makes me sit through some montage of people walking through vaguely Appalachian forests to the sound of moody acoustic guitar music. Like, we get it, zombies are dangerous, and there are a lot of bad people in the world now. This was established early in season 2. Let's move on.

The Terminus thing has potential, and it's baffling they didn't chose to end the prison storyline last season, and focus on Terminus this season. Instead, it looks like we'll have ended up with an entire season of aimless wandering in the woods.
Old 03-10-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa

This show desperately needs to move beyond relying on its core premise for drama, and develop some actual overarching plots and interesting storylines.
Do you think this is because they went to 16 episodes a season, and it gives them a few 'filler' episodes to kind of do what they want?

I always believed that 12 episodes was just about right for a Cable TV show season, and maybe they now have 3-4 more episodes this season that they don't know where to go with, so they decided to dedicate them to total character development.
Old 03-10-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I enjoyed last night's episode. It had a good mix of character development, action, and surprises.
Some thoughts:

1. Daryl sleeping in the coffin foreshadowing his death?

2. What was up with the one eyed dog? A nod to the governor?

3. Love the walkers in the mist shot where everyone is back to back. Can't they find some better weapons besides a sharp stick?

Looks like we will have another week without Rick's group. Plotwise, the episodes are spread really thin. I thought Abraham was going to be a major character this season, and now we probably won't see him until the finale. I'll be annoyed if Terminus is show in the final shot of the finale. They already pulled that stunt once before with the prison at the end of season 2.
Old 03-10-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After having endured the Woodbury ordeal, it seems a little strange that no one has really questioned Terminus and what kind of place it could be.
Old 03-10-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts

A better episode than last week (the bar is currently very low) but I have some grumbles..

Maggie sleeping with the dead walkers. I mean seriously, if she was waiting for them wouldn't going in that building Sasha went into and waiting by the window a little more safe? It just seemed a crazy thing to do.

Whatever happened to the walkers smelling people who are still alive and going after them? Seems like these days you can just duck behind a tree but in days past they'd find you. Maybe over the years they've lost their sense of smell or something.

Darryl opening the door without checking first. Especially after hearing the dog yelp. Amateur move.

I assume this new group that Darryl just got sort of sucked into is the same group that took over the house that Carl and Rick were in. Just what he needs is to get into a gang full of Merle types.
Old 03-10-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
Maggie sleeping with the dead walkers. I mean seriously, if she was waiting for them wouldn't going in that building Sasha went into and waiting by the window a little more safe? It just seemed a crazy thing to do.

Whatever happened to the walkers smelling people who are still alive and going after them? Seems like these days you can just duck behind a tree but in days past they'd find you. Maybe over the years they've lost their sense of smell or something.
I'm sure she thought that it was safer to sleep next to the dead walkers, masked in their smell, than to fall asleep alone in a building.

And I think that's why it's easier to hide outside of a walker's view when they are herding. Their stench is more prevalent as a herd than one human.

Interesting episode and I'm sure Daryl will try to use the new gang to find out what happened to Beth.
Old 03-10-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I shit all over this show last week. This episode was much, much better. Nevertheless what Abob Teff said is dead on. This season has been so aimless even a decent episode can't redeem it. The whole thing has felt like a season in reverse, with a pretty eventful kick-off (even if all the governor stuff should have been resolved before), and slowly petering off into nothing.

This show desperately needs to move beyond relying on its core premise for drama, and develop some actual overarching plots and interesting storylines. I get mad every time this show makes me sit through some montage of people walking through vaguely Appalachian forests to the sound of moody acoustic guitar music. Like, we get it, zombies are dangerous, and there are a lot of bad people in the world now. This was established early in season 2. Let's move on.

The Terminus thing has potential, and it's baffling they didn't chose to end the prison storyline last season, and focus on Terminus this season. Instead, it looks like we'll have ended up with an entire season of aimless wandering in the woods.
I maintain that unless they designate a season as an end point, we'll get aimless wandering 50% of the time because there is no endgame.
Old 03-10-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'm sure she thought that it was safer to sleep next to the dead walkers, masked in their smell, than to fall asleep alone in a building.

And I think that's why it's easier to hide outside of a walker's view when they are herding. Their stench is more prevalent as a herd than one human.

Interesting episode and I'm sure Daryl will try to use the new gang to find out what happened to Beth.
She said she was going after one walker and encountered more than she expected. I assumed she was just hiding out amongst them until most of them dispersed since she couldn't take all of them on. I don't think she was planning on spending a long time lying there.
Old 03-10-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The show definitely feels like it's getting stale to me. I don't dislike what they've done in this half season, but nothing is very memorable to me.
Old 03-10-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I was waiting for someone to bring that up. I cut this show a lot of slack but that scene had even me groaning. Especially when she could have climbed up on top of the truck that was there. It was just done so poorly...I don't get too whipped up over anything on this show anymore and just try to enjoy it; but for some reason that one just got to me.
Old 03-10-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I assume this new group that Darryl just got sort of sucked into is the same group that took over the house that Carl and Rick were in. Just what he needs is to get into a gang full of Merle types.
That was my guess, too.
Old 03-10-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanboy
That was my guess, too.
It's not a guess - we saw the leader at the house. It's the same group.
Old 03-10-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Gambit
She said she was going after one walker and encountered more than she expected. I assumed she was just hiding out amongst them until most of them dispersed since she couldn't take all of them on. I don't think she was planning on spending a long time lying there.
That whole scenario didn't really make much sense. Bob and Sasha saw the place from a distance and didn't see/hear any walkers. Then Sasha walks up to building and from where she's coming from, she can see 3 sides of the building, goes upstairs and still no walkers. But the second the window falls, there are walkers on the 4th side (back?) and some more are coming from areas she should've seen. And how long has Maggie been lying there exposed? No better idea than to just lie there?

Funny that all the windows are in, but one window (or more) aren't even secured/installed? Can't even chalk that up to 3 years of neglect.

Daryl not checking the front door before opening it, and then trapping himself in the basement.
Old 03-10-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
It's not a guess - we saw the leader at the house. It's the same group.
Spoiler:
My guess is we will soon see what Rick didn't see while hiding under the bed. I have a bad feeling Daryl's going to get raped by these crazies.
Old 03-10-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
And how long has Maggie been lying there exposed? No better idea than to just lie there?
I suspect she was resting after having just fought off a bunch of walkers.
Old 03-10-14, 10:02 PM

Yeah, I thought when she ran into more than she expected that the one she killed she rolled it on top of her to wait out the others. Maybe she said that on talking dead.
Old 03-10-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatlander
Yeah, I thought when she ran into more than she expected that the one she killed she rolled it on top of her to wait out the others. Maybe she said that on talking dead.
I think she said it was a scene they filmed but didn't use. She ran into too many walkers while trying to collect "paint" to make another sign for Glenn, then pulled an immobilized walker on top of her - oozing guts and all - to camouflage herself until it was clear.

Without that scene/explanation it did seem pretty random to suddenly see her just laying there taking a nap out in the open during the middle of the day.
Old 03-11-14, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The pacing is horrendous. They realize a good television show lasts about 6-8 years on average. They are dragging these stories out like it's a 20 year show. A comic can go 20+ years, 99.9% of tv shows can't. It's been a terrible 2nd half. If the show started off like this I wouldn't be watching week to week. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best WD show in the entire series, this was about a 5, last week was a 1. The Rick under the bed episode was the only one I have enjoyed this 2nd half, which is sad for a show I enjoy a lot.
Old 03-11-14, 08:01 AM

In regards to the pacing on the show. I've avoided the comic books like the plague due to spoilers obviously. So just a simple question, is the comics still going on with any of the main characters? I don't think so but at this pace and if the comics ended how many seasons do you think they will stretch it out?

I know they have different characters (Darrel) and don't follow it 100% like GoT but at the pace of where they went with the farm/prison and now I take it DC eventually how many do you think they will do and should do? It's a massive cash cow but unless they really drag it out with tons of filler eps or alter the comics completely and go into a totally different direction it can't go more than 10 seasons right?
Old 03-11-14, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by xx2000xx
So just a simple question, is the comics still going on with any of the main characters?

Spoiler:
Yes (I'll leave at that as not to spoil further), but some of the dead in the show are still alive in the comics, and vice-versa.

Originally Posted by xx2000xx
I don't think so but at this pace and if the comics ended how many seasons do you think they will stretch it out?
Like Troy McClure always said, "Who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?"

And there's still a spin-off in the works.
Old 03-11-14, 08:20 AM

This felt like a second draft of last week's episode.

Better, but the barrage of random walker encounters, *when they least expect it* (oh that dog is back, I'll just open the door) is getting tedious.

Three episodes left this season, but I think this has officially moved from weekly DVR to binge watch future seasons on Netflix at some point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.