Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective - Season Finale - "Form and Void" - 3/9/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: True Detective - Season Finale - "Form and Void" - 3/9/14

Pretty good finale, although I wish it had been 1:15 or just a bit longer. One hour wasn't enough.

The only disappointment is that we don't know (were not spoonfed) what happened to Hart's daughter, exactly.

Also: no one from this cast is supposed to come back next season as the same character. I think the idea is each season is an independent story.
Old 03-09-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Rust's speech at the end about feeling his daughter and his father's presence when he was under made me misty. Incredible end to an incredible season.
Old 03-09-14, 10:48 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Disappointed there wasn't anything more about Maggie or Hart's daughter. The clues are just confusing now. That was a weird scene in the hospital. Maggie's eyes looked to be two different colors and they made a point to include her large, gold ring in a shot. Okay, I need to stop.
Old 03-09-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

yeah, that was a pretty good episode. i do agree it seemed a bit rushed. it could've been longer. but, we got some stellar performances again. i can't see how MM won't win an award for this. he was brilliant.

a cool way to continue the plot would be new detectives picking up the case and trying to find out who was involved in the video.
Old 03-09-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

A remarkably happy ending for such a dark show. I enjoyed the ride.
Old 03-09-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I thought it was a very satisfying conclusion. I think the show probably could have squeezed in another couple of episodes or so if they had really wanted to flesh out some more story but overall I'm more than happy with the series/season as a whole. As for the clues with Maggie I think that was just to throw people off. Marty's daughters earlier in the season seems a bit more hard to explain and I guess is the only thing I'd like to have seen expanded on.

Going to miss these two characters but I'm glad that Rust and Marty both made it out alive and that the show didn't go some cliche route that had one of them involved in the murders. I wonder if Rust's world/religious views have changed now that he says to have felt the presence of his daughter and his dad when he was under, it would seem so given how emotional he was but he was pretty set in what he thought was right before that. Really good final scene between Marty and Rust and McConaughey gave a fantastic performance.
Old 03-09-14, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
A remarkably happy ending for such a dark show. I enjoyed the ride.
I was pleasantly surprised by the hopeful outlook by Rust after the dark places the show went throughout the season.
Old 03-09-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

That was great. Loved the ending with Rust and Hart at the hospital.
Old 03-10-14, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I want to make flowers with this show.
Now all of the sudden they don't want to show nudity? I want my money back!
Old 03-10-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Excellent end to what was a great series. McConaughey was just incredible. I'm really sad that its over now.
Old 03-10-14, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

What an amazing 8 hours of television. I need to let this percolate in my mind a while, but I'm definitely going to need to rewatch the whole thing in a few months.

Meanwhile, this might help some people who (like me) had some trouble keeping track of the relationships between some of the peripheral characters.
Spoiler:
Old 03-10-14, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Were they hinting that Rust was a minister or something similar before the death of his daughter?
Old 03-10-14, 02:32 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Harrelson already showed his hairy ol' butt in The Cowboy Way. You aren't missing anything.
Old 03-10-14, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Were they hinting that Rust was a minister or something similar before the death of his daughter?
They didn't. That wasn't a literal thing, a few people referred to him as a priest in this crazy molesting religion. Probably due to his ability to understand how monsters think/to mislead the audience into thinking he might be involved.
Old 03-10-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

While I wanted more of a reveal - especially related to Marty's family - I like the notion of them only getting the guy they were after.

I really hate that this series is over...
Old 03-10-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought seeing Errol holding Rust up in the air with a knife, while he's being head-butted, was really ridiculous. I'm a little mixed on the show but I'll definitely watch it again. The production value and performances were fantastic but the story let me down a bit.
Old 03-10-14, 09:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

My favorite part of the episode was the epilogue at the hospital with Hart and Cohle. Hart's obviously struggling when his family comes to visit, Cohle is obviously struggling given what he experienced while unconscious...and the final exchange between the two of them in the parking lot was a thing of beauty. We're reminded that the primary focus of this show is about these two men and their lives. Everything else (as much as we may hate to admit) is ancillary to the narrative.

Overnight, this finale brought back thoughts of the old HBO show Carnivale. I don't think there's been any show since then that did such an effective job telling a story between light/dark, good/evil as TD. This season will be missed for sure.
Old 03-10-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I find it funny that the person who I thought was a red herring, creepy lawnmower man, did indeed turn out to be the main killer. Then every other clue that everyone was so good about piecing together, daughter with Barbie orgy, hidden paintings, crown in the tree, etc. turned out to not even really be addressed.
Old 03-10-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
If you wanted to see nauseating female nudity, you could have just left HBO on after True Detective - Girls is on right after.
Old 03-10-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What did Childress throw at Marty that stuck in his chest? It was dark and maybe I missed it but I thought it was an axe. Would he really survive that?
Old 03-10-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
What did Childress throw at Marty that stuck in his chest? It was dark and maybe I missed it but I thought it was an axe. Would he really survive that?
It was a small hatchet
Old 03-10-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Fuck!!! HBO GO is "down". Im guessing tonights ep broke the shit.

'True Detective' Finale Crashes HBO GO
Fans turn to social media after crime drama season finale fails to load
Comment

Sunday night's season finale of True Detective, the HBO crime drama phenomenon that has attracted nearly 11 million viewers per episode, became a (murder) victim of its own success, crashing HBO GO and launching the inevitable social media cri de coeurs.
Old 03-10-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting finale. I have mixed feelings about it, but overall I liked it. That said I think while episodes 1-5 were basically brilliant, the final three felt a bit weaker. I think when Marty and Hart left the station and the three story lines were condensed into the single present storyline, the show lost a lot of its narrative complexity and thematic beauty. There were aspects of this show the first half of the season that just floored me, and they were largely absent in the final two or three episodes.

Things that I didn't like so much:
1) Too much footage of Childless and his sister around their house. I wish the show would have stayed focused on Rust and Cohle's POV. As a villain, he ended up being pretty lame, and even most of the other villains in TD were more intimidating/interesting. That whole opening sequence was pretty unnecessary.

2) The whole final chase through Carcossa. The abandoned Fort was a great location, and there were some cool shots like the aerial shot down towards Rust in that submerged clearing, as if trapped in a maze. Overall though, the whole scene was played way too quickly, and the cinematography wasn't dark enough IMO. Marty and Cohle surviving their wounds was also a bit of a stretch, to me.

3) Cohle's new found optimism at the end. On the one hand it was a natural and fitting conclusion, on the other I was kind of hoping the show would up the ante with its bleakness and give us something a bit more grim.

I liked the call back to one of my favorite lines in the series, when Rust tells the detectives how his daughter slipped into a comma right away before she died, and how beautiful a death it was as she stepped from one darkness to "another, deeper kind".

Anyway, overall it was a really well executed 8 episodes of TV that gave viewers a lot to think about. Great stuff overall.
Old 03-10-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
My favorite part of the episode was the epilogue at the hospital with Hart and Cohle. Hart's obviously struggling when his family comes to visit, Cohle is obviously struggling given what he experienced while unconscious...and the final exchange between the two of them in the parking lot was a thing of beauty. We're reminded that the primary focus of this show is about these two men and their lives. Everything else (as much as we may hate to admit) is ancillary to the narrative
Old 03-10-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Now, was Pizzolatto ripping off Alan Moore, or paying homage...?

[for size]
Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.