Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Last of Us - news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Sam Raimi to produce adaptation of video game "The Last of Us" for Screen Gems

Originally Posted by RocShemp
To each his own. I enjoyed how sparse ammunition was in the game, forcing you to decide on the fly whether to risk open combat, stealth kills, or simply sneak passed your enemies.
yup. agreed.
Old 03-10-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Sam Raimi to produce adaptation of video game "The Last of Us" for Screen Gems

Originally Posted by banthafett
^ that could work, with how that kid acted like a little bitch for the whole movie.
The only problem with my idea is that Ellie would probably have skull-fucked that whiney little shit.
Old 03-10-14, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ellie has an oversized clit?

I've yet to play the game but I know I'd love it based off everything I've seen.

The boy from the road reacted fine based off how his father protected him so much. Love Duvall's bit in this.
Old 07-25-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Sam Raimi, Neil Druckmann surprise with ‘Last of Us’ panel
July 25, 2014 | 1:27 p.m.

With “The Last of Us,” Naughty Dog craftsman Neil Druckmann helped create one of the most emotionally affecting survival games ever released.

Now, as he writes the script for Screen Gems’ upcoming big screen adaptation of “The Last of Us,” he’s endeavoring to make the first truly great video game movie.

Druckmann and filmmaker Sam Raimi, who will produce the film through his Ghost House Pictures banner, surprised the Hall H crowd at Comic-Con International in San Diego on Friday morning with a presentation devoted to the project, which is still in its nascent stages, hoping to stoke fan excitement for its upcoming adaptation of the apocalyptic survival game.

“The Last of Us” was one of the most widely lauded games of 2013. The story tracks Joel, who is hired to smuggle a 14-year-old girl, Ellie, out of a quarantine zone, but their personalities clash as they traverse the once-familiar terrain of Boston, which has become all plant life and crumbling buildings in the wake of an infection that has decimated the human populace.

The intimate character moments between the two leads was one of the things that hooked Raimi, who described himself as a gamer when addressing the audience, and he also stressed that a “Last of Us” movie would closely hew to the game.

“It doesn’t need to be different,” Raimi said. “It just needs to capture the core of what made ‘The Last of Us’ special to so many fans.”

Both Druckmann and Raimi promised a “laser focus” on Joel and Ellie’s relationship in “The Last of Us.” Although the film has yet to be cast and a director yet to be hired, Druckmann mentioned that he had met with “Game of Thrones” actress Maisie Williams, who plays the headstrong Arya Stark on the HBO fantasy, about the role of Ellie.
Old 07-25-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

It's great that Neil Druckmann is writing the script but I still feel this will be a pointless disaster.
Old 07-25-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Blizzard hated his treatment for Warcraft, hopefully he'll do better here with this material. Seems potentially more his style anyway.
Old 03-05-20, 12:00 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Craig Mazin, the creator of the acclaimed limited series Chernobyl, is reteaming with HBO to adapt The Last of Us, the massive Sony PlayStation video game franchise.

In a rare development in the world of video game adaptations, the writer and creative director of the game, Neil Druckmann, is also involved and will work with Mazin to pen and executive produce what is intended to be a series.

Carolyn Strauss will also executive produce along with Evan Wells, the president of Naughty Dog, the Santa Monica-based developer of the game. The project is a co-production with Sony Pictures Television in association with PlayStation Productions. It will be the first television series from PlayStation Productions.

Launched in 2013, Sony and Naughty Dog's The Last of Us garnered critical praise for its engrossing tale of the postapocalypse, centering on the relationship between Joel, a smuggler in this new world, and Ellie, a teenager who may be key to a cure for the deadly pandemic.

Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle the14-year-old girl out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal, heartbreaking journey, as they both must traverse across the U.S. and depend on each other for survival. The HBO series will cover the events of the original game, which was written by Druckmann, with the possibility of additional content based on the forthcoming game sequel, The Last of Us Part II, which will release on May 29, 2020.

Mazin, who is said to be an avid player of the game, stated, "Neil Druckmann is without question the finest storyteller working in the video game medium, and The Last of Us is his magnum opus. Getting a chance to adapt this breathtaking work of art has been a dream of mine for years, and I'm so honored to do it in partnership with Neil."

"From the first time I sat down to talk with Craig I was equally blown away by his approach to narrative and his love and deep understanding of The Last of Us," said Druckmann in a statement. "With Chernobyl, Craig and HBO created a tense, harrowing, emotional masterpiece. I couldn't think of better partners to bring the story of The Last of Us to life as a television show."

The Last of Us won numerous "game of the year" awards and went on to sell more than 17 million copies across both its original release on the PlayStation 3 and a remastered version on PlayStation 4.

"This is an incredibly exciting opportunity for us to partner with Craig, Neil, Carolyn and the teams at Sony, Naughty Dog and PlayStation to bring the virtual world of this acclaimed game to life," stated HBO programming president Casey Bloys.

"This is the first of many shows we intend to develop with our friends at PlayStation Productions," said Chris Parnell, co-president of Sony Pictures Television Studios. The Last of Us is a brilliant achievement in storytelling and character development, and we are lucky to have the opportunity to work with this team to adapt it."

Druckmann is a longtime vet of Naughty Dog, starting as a programming intern in 2004. In 2007, he was given the role of game designer on Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, the first installment in the action adventure series. In 2013, he created The Last of Us, based on a concept he developed as a student at Carnegie Mellon University.

Mazin's Chernobyl tackled a bleak and complex true-life event and became a must-see show for HBO. The show won an Emmy for outstanding limited series and landed one for Mazin for outstanding writing. Mazin also won a PGA award and a WGA award.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...rF7Cuz6BXs4YL4
Old 03-05-20, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
re: The Last of Us - news, rumors, etc.

This is great news. I think this will work really well as a series.
Old 03-05-20, 03:51 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

This sounds interesting. I would watch this. I never played the game, but as far as post apocalypse stuff goes, it looked really cool.
Old 03-05-20, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Very hyped for this. Loved the story of the games.
Old 03-05-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Either of recent HBO series vets Nikolaj Coster-Waldau or Justin Theroux would be great at Joel.
Old 03-06-20, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Yeah he would be perfect not the other guy, not tough looking enough.
Old 03-06-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

I didn't play the game, but I watched the cutscenes as a 6 hour movie over the space of a week a few years back. I am so excited for this, and for HBO to do it and have the guy from "Chernobyl" in charge is a really good sign.
Old 03-06-20, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I almost bought myself a PS4 with my Christmas money, but decided to wait until the PS5 comes out later this year (since Sony claims it will be backwards compatible). This game has been #1 on my “want to play” list for quite a while now.
Old 03-07-20, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
decided to wait until the PS5 comes out later this year
It's possible it might end up delayed till next year at some point due to Corona.
Old 03-07-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
It's possible it might end up delayed till next year at some point due to Corona.
That’s fine, I’ll grab one whenever that may be. I’m more concerned with demand exceeding supply, and having to spend weeks hunting for it.
Old 03-12-20, 02:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Don't worry, in a matter of weeks days we'll all get to experience the cold open of the first game in real time!
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (03-12-20)
Old 06-07-20, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

John Renck who won and Emmy last year for his work on ‘Chernobyl’ and directed all episodes of that series has signed on to direct “at least” the pilot episode of this series.
Old 11-20-20, 01:33 PM

Ordered to series:
https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-las...er-1234619620/
Deftones (11-20-20)
Old 11-21-20, 06:39 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Wouldn’t it be cool if they did a mash up with another TV Show and called it “This Is The Last Of Us”?

😂
Old 02-10-21, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 02-10-21, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,067 Posts

^ I don’t know the character in the game but Ramsey was a little badass on Game of Thrones! She was fun to watch.
Old 02-10-21, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

How many shows does this guy need?
DJariya (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 10:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I liked Bella Ramsey in GoT, but she’s not someone who I would picture as Ellie.
Old 02-10-21, 10:03 PM

Well... one where he’ll actually be recognize for.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.