DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Arrow -- "The Promise" -- 3/05/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618532-arrow-promise-3-05-14-a.html)

DJariya 03-05-14 02:20 PM

Arrow -- "The Promise" -- 3/05/14

https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/...17862588_n.jpg

"The Promise" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

THE TURNING POINT - Oliver (Stephen Amell) is shocked when he learns that Slade (Manu Bennett) has come to Starling City. Back on the island, as Oliver, Slade and Sara (Caity Lotz) prepare to take over the freighter from Ivo (guest star Dylan Neal), Sara pulls Oliver aside and tells him he needs to kill Ivo to prevent him from telling Slade what happened with Shado. Oliver feels immense guilt over the situation but realizes Slade's growing rage from the Mirakuru makes him unpredictable and he could turn on his friends if he thinks Oliver is to blame. Oliver agrees to kill Ivo and the battle begins. Glen Winter directed the episode written by Jake Coburn & Ben Sokolowski (#215).

Read more: Listings - ARROW on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2v7b6ohN9

Episode 15 of 23

I know a lot of you don't like to watch trailers or promos for fear of spoilers, but you all should watch this new Arrow movie trailer that was posted yesterday. It's a pretty damn good trailer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uEZQUcjG6AY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Axeramm 03-05-14 09:50 PM

Re: Arrow -- "The Promise" -- 3/05/14

Not enough Felicity.

PhantomStranger 03-05-14 10:09 PM

Best episode ever? I think so.

RocShemp 03-05-14 10:23 PM

Awesome episode, despite the shortage on Felicity screentime.

So who knocked out Diggle? Cos that baton looked like one of Sarah's. Is Slade perhaps allied with the League of Assassins?

Axeramm 03-05-14 10:52 PM

wonder if maybe it was Nyssa.

Gooter 03-06-14 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12035231)
Best episode ever? I think so.

Yes! This was... Totally Awesome!

Loved the extended scenes on the island. Loved the tension in the mansion between Slade and Ollie. Loved when Ollie's backup arrived. Loved Slade's car. ;)

There will still be a lot more flashbacks coming due to island Ollie's current situation. It was probably assumed before but we know how he will most likely learn Russian and join the Russian mafia. He still needs more work on his fighting skills. And, he needs a lot more scars and bullet wounds to catch up to present day Ollie. So, lots more island/freighter goodness coming.

Next week looks like it could be good too.

anomynous 03-06-14 11:18 AM

So the preview for next episode....

Spoiler:

Rocketdog2000 03-06-14 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 12035240)
Awesome episode, despite the shortage on Felicity screentime.

So who knocked out Diggle? Cos that baton looked like one of Sarah's. Is Slade perhaps allied with the League of Assassins?

My guess would either be Malcolm Merlyn, or some other, as yet unidentified player.

PhantomStranger 03-06-14 01:55 PM

Eventually they will run out of time to cover the flashbacks to Ollie's time on the island. I really want them to flip the script and switch it up to flashforwards in a couple of seasons, like Lost.

What could be in the flash forwards? It's years in the future when Green Arrow is a fully established superhero and everyone in the city knows him. Diggle has gone rogue and become a villain at Slade's side. Ollie has married Black Canary and
Spoiler:
Shado has been resurrected through nefarious means.

cleaver 03-06-14 11:24 PM

This was me in after the Previously On part
[

DJariya 03-07-14 01:41 AM

:thumbsup: Awesome episode.

I think this was a case where the flashbacks were actually the strongest part of the episode. It added a lot of depth to the disintegration of Ollie and Slade's relationship.

Judging by what I saw in the preview:

Spoiler:
It looks like Diggle is unwillingly joining the suicide squad.

-eek- at Slade's missing eye. I'd like to see how that came about.

Flatlander 03-07-14 10:23 AM

Just in case referencing a preview is spoiler

Spoiler:
IGN has an interesting article that during the preview for the rest of the season there looks to be a Harley Quinn character locked up. I don't follow DC that much but they have said that she has been part of the Suicide Squad

Flatlander 03-07-14 10:23 AM

Sorry, just saw the post from the first page.

zuffy 03-07-14 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12036561)
:thumbsup: Awesome episode.

I think this was a case where the flashbacks were actually the strongest part of the episode. It added a lot of depth to the disintegration of Ollie and Slade's relationship.

Judging by what I saw in the preview:

Spoiler:
It looks like Diggle is unwillingly joining the suicide squad.

-eek- at Slade's missing eye. I'd like to see how that came about.

Pretty sure Oliver put an arrow thru his eye, "killing" him in the island. That is probably how Oliver defeated Slade.

Hokeyboy 03-07-14 12:38 PM

Caity Lotz is a weak actress (her delivery on her close-up was awful!) but I love her as Black Canary. Is that wrong?

Otherwise, another pretty great episode! Forget Felicity, this needed more Thea. In fact more Thea is always a good thing... and I know Roy loves that red hoodie but it's almost a little silly how often he's shown in it. As a "vigilante" of sorts, it's not exactly practical. But that's just nitpicking.

This show rules :up:

uberjoe 03-07-14 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12037052)
Caity Lotz is a weak actress (her delivery on her close-up was awful!) but I love her as Black Canary. Is that wrong?

I'm right there with you (on both parts).

Her mouth is weird. It's oddly pinched, the upper lip doesn't seem to move when she speaks except to drop lower. All her dialogue seems...strained. When I first saw her on the show I checked IMDB to see whether she was British or something, because those are the sorts of things you see sometimes when someone's putting on an American accent. Shocked to see she's American.

Anna Torv on Fringe was similar. Watch her speak in her natural accent and her facial expressions are strikingly different.

Cellar Door 03-07-14 02:26 PM

Do we know how long Oliver had been on the island up to the point shown last night?

Rocketdog2000 03-07-14 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 12037182)
Do we know how long Oliver had been on the island up to the point shown last night?

They've said on more than one occasion in the past few episodes, that it has now been a little over a year since he first landed on the island. Sarah has also said she was on Ivo's boat for the same amount of time.

Cellar Door 03-07-14 02:42 PM

Thanks

PhantomStranger 03-07-14 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 12037052)

If it's wrong, I never want to be right.:lol: She handles the action scenes better than even Diggle or Arrow.

Ropes Pierre 03-09-14 02:21 PM

not really familiar with the comics, but does roy really have to learn how to shoot a bow? can't he just Conan people and el kabonk them? i would much prefer Thea as the one who eventually learns to shoot a bow.

big ups to just randomly having roy shirtless in the arrow cave. like to gain entrance, you have to pay a troll toll of your top.

sad that Bullet basically looks like a hot Ferengi now. with those jug ears, i cannot help thinking "this is what prince charles would look like if he were attractive"

loved felicity in workout gear in last epi. thought it was goofy ollie commented on it, as everyone basically lounges around there in skimpy attire like a roman orgy is about to break out.

plus she is obviously in shape. does he think the "tight ass" fairy just throws some pixie dust on her and poof, firm booty?

i love the show's ability to make me think wow this week is as good as it gets. then they raise it a notch the next week and bring something slightly cooler. i think this may be my overall favorite show right now. i may love justified's dialogue more, or nashville's music, but pound for pound i think i look forward to arrow the most.

PhantomStranger 03-09-14 02:44 PM

I'm pretty sure that actor was cast as Roy due to the eye candy factor. In the comics Roy started out as a human and was simply an archer like Green Arrow, until they later powered him up with superstrength and some other enhancements. Characters in comics always get powered up over time, particularly marginal ones.

Big Boy Laroux 03-09-14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12038853)
I'm pretty sure that actor was cast as Roy due to the eye candy factor. In the comics Roy started out as a human and was simply an archer like Green Arrow, until they later powered him up with superstrength and some other enhancements. Characters in comics always get powered up over time, particularly marginal ones.

hmmm, didn't know about the superstrength. Is that recent?

I only knew him as red arrow and arsenal. And he had the prosthetic arm as arsenal.

is the super strength a New 52 thing?

RocShemp 03-09-14 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12037305)
She handles the action scenes better than even Diggle or Arrow.

Her fight double, you mean. This show puts little effort (beyond dimming the lights or getting occasionally heavy with the back lighting) to hide them when they replace their respective actors.

Superman07 03-09-14 09:54 PM

Another great episode. I really enjoy how they introduce elements, drop them fir episodes on and, and then tie them back in. Case in point, the Russian mob boss. Think we met him in present day, now we're getting more of the character through the island. :up:

I agree some of the acting isn't great, but the people seem to inhabit their characters well enough.

Will be interesting to see how Oliver ends up by himself on the island. I'd like to think he has to deal with a good amount of time being on his own. Would be a really bitter, but fitting way for him to finish out his island journey.