Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Catch a Contractor - Home Improvement Revenge show w/ Adam Carolla - Sundays on Spike

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Catch a Contractor - Home Improvement Revenge show w/ Adam Carolla - Sundays on Spike

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Each episode follows Carolla, Skip Bedell and Alison Bedell, as they seek justice for wronged homeowners, whose construction nightmares range from the laughably incompetent to frighteningly hazardous homes that have been left completely torn apart. Initially, Carolla and Skip assess the property in question and identify all the corners that were cut. Alison then hunts down these unscrupulous builders through various investigative methods, a task not easily done as most have changed their contact information to avoid being found. Once the contractor is located, he is artfully lured to a sting house by Alison with the promise of a new job, only to be taken by surprise and confronted by Carolla, Skip and the angry homeowners. Carolla and Skip call the contractor out on everything that wasn’t done properly, sharing their extensive insight and knowledge of the craft. The contractors are then given the chance to redeem themselves by fixing the mess they left behind – all while under Carolla and Skip’s watchful and critical eye. Ultimately, homeowners are able to gain closure, as they not only are able to confront the culprit face-to-face, but are able to finally achieve the end results they paid for.

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:spike.com:fc1ef37e-f81a-4126-bca8-7bd46fc018da" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Catch A Contractor

<iframe src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:spike.com:22f64845-904b-47e4-aabd-2adf3e6774ca" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Catch A Contractor

SpikeTV Website

Premieres this Sunday, March 9th.

I'll definitely check this out. I am a fan of Carolla's podcast, but even if I didn't already appreciate his humor, I do feel that this is a funny premise for a reality show.
Old 03-08-14, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Catch a Contractor - Home Improvement Revenge show w/ Adam Carolla - Sundays on S

I'll watch.

Bailed on his podcast a few years back because it seemed too....commercial. Has that changed at all?
Old 03-08-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Catch a Contractor - Home Improvement Revenge show w/ Adam Carolla - Sundays on S

Finally...after hearing about it for so long.
Old 03-08-14, 09:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I'll watch.

Bailed on his podcast a few years back because it seemed too....commercial. Has that changed at all?
I don't know, I just started listening a couple years ago. He's definitely doubled down on bitching about the political world in the last year or so though.
Old 03-08-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Is it fake like all those shitty repo and towing shows. If so, I'll pass.
Old 03-08-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Is it fake like all those shitty repo and towing shows. If so, I'll pass.
From what he was saying on Stern last week, this is 100% real.
Old 03-08-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

^Good, thanks. Worth a squiz then.
Old 03-09-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I'll watch.

The ads have certainly been upped. You can almost skip the first two minutes of every podcast. The live reads in the middle of an interview are obnoxious though.

As for guests, he has a good mix of people just coming on to shoot the shit and people just coming to promote crap.
Old 03-09-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
From what he was saying on Stern last week, this is 100% real.

What did you expect him to say?
Old 03-09-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

His call to Stern got me interested, the first episode was good. Not a whole lot of focus on the actual job once it's done, but since it's mainly about the sting and the other stuff, that's cool. Watching the second one now.
Old 03-09-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Carolla, but I'm not a fan of these sting/confrontational reality shows. They mostly just make me uncomfortable, even if the guy deserves it. How is this show in that regard?
Old 03-09-14, 10:56 PM
Suspended

I love Carolla, but this was pretty much "meh."

The families they had on seemed like they needed a kick in the ass as much as the contractors.
Old 03-09-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Sounds like it would have to be stretched to fill an hour. The local news stations in every city do similar investigations every couple of years. But they only do a 5 minute segment.
Old 03-09-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the customers made bad decisions in the first place (money up front, no real contract).
Old 03-10-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah the customers made bad decisions in the first place (money up front, no real contract).
They also tend to go with the lowest bidder. And that always ends in disappointment.

Licensed, bonded, dependable might be $2500. A handyman comes in and bids it at $900. Of course there's going to be trouble.
Old 03-10-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Sounds like it would have to be stretched to fill an hour. The local news stations in every city do similar investigations every couple of years. But they only do a 5 minute segment.
The episodes are 30 minutes, but they aired 2 this week. Next week there will only be one new episode, and a repeat from this week.

Format is simple: Go to house and show the shitty job the contractor did. Track down contractor and confront him. Then go and fix the house with the contractor, or the show will do it and help them sue the contractor.

The only thing I can say is what shady contractor would agree to sign the release here? I guess the threat of legal action helps.

It is hilarious that they use the To Catch a Predator format for the confrontation. I mean having Adam channel Chris Hansen is pretty damn funny.

Although clearly it's the crew that the show calls in that does the vast majority of the work. The shitty contractor (at least in the first episode) was still shitty.
Old 03-10-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Lets face it, you watch this for Adam Carolla's snarky comments to shady contractors, not to see how to actually remodel a bathroom. If you like Carolla (I do) you will like the show. If not, it is unlikely to be your cup of tea. The other people (the husband/wife team) are filler.
Old 03-10-14, 09:36 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Seems a bit rehearsed. It wasn't totally bad, but I wish they spent more time on the remodel vs. these 'elaborate' stings.
Old 03-10-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Lets face it, you watch this for Adam Carolla's snarky comments to shady contractors, not to see how to actually remodel a bathroom. If you like Carolla (I do) you will like the show. If not, it is unlikely to be your cup of tea. The other people (the husband/wife team) are filler.
I didn't know what to expect going in but have always found Carolla pretty funny, going back to his Man Show days. I liked his quips but I can't really see myself watching this on a regular basis.

I guess the contractors are pressured to sign a release form unless they want to face a lawsuit from the homeowners?
Old 03-10-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that's what he said on Stern, that the threat/pressure is there for them so they agree to be filmed.
Old 03-10-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm a Carolla fan but can't say as this show did much for me. I watch home improvement type shows to see actual construction work being done and this one is 95% sting operation and only 5% actual work.
Old 03-10-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Watched one of the eps last night. Boring.
Old 03-10-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Watched the first episode with Jose. I enjoyed it. Seemed pretty short, but then again, not every show needs to be 45 minutes.

So does the show front the money to fix what the contractor fucked up? I mean Jose still gets to keep the $20k?

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Lets face it, you watch this for Adam Carolla's snarky comments to shady contractors, not to see how to actually remodel a bathroom.
Exactly. There's entire channels devoted to home remodeling. This is something a bit different.
Old 03-10-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved his last series where he renovated his old house. Any fan of his should try and track it down. Based just on that I'll give this a shot. I'm just sad he's not using his friends this time around for this show.
Old 03-10-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I loved his last series where he renovated his old house. Any fan of his should try and track it down. Based just on that I'll give this a shot. I'm just sad he's not using his friends this time around for this show.
Yeah that show was great. This one, not so much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.