Reload this Page >

The Amazing Race: All-Stars -- "Baby Bear's Soup" -- 3/02/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-02-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

"Baby Bear's Soup" - Mark and Mallory continue to struggle with communication and one major mistake jeopardizes their chances to keep racing, on the the All-Star edition of THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, March 2 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Phil Keoghan (@philkeoghan) is the host.

Read more: Listings - AMAZING RACE, THE on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2urK8Fncx
Old 03-02-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race: All-Stars -- "Baby Bear's Soup" -- 3/02/14

Darn I need to stop frequenting another spoiler board. Two teams implode in the first two weeks. gah

well, that was kind of a tearjerker ending there for a fun hour in lead paint laden China toy town. If Mallory had their passports, the clues, and Mark's medication, then it was a blunder to waste time and go retrieve his backpack. The cut/edit to Mal's mouth agape when Team Youtube and Team OyVey finished the detour was hilarious.

Jet and Cord letting go of the Express Pass way too early (and that was way too easy for Jen/Caro ). Granted the cowboys prefer to run the race outside the pack, they could have used it as some dangling carrot and maybe have other teams aid them along the way before they were forced to hand it over (5th leg?) Kick-ass slide though to keep the hackeysack going!
Old 03-02-14, 09:27 PM

Well that was depressing.
Old 03-02-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Bummer for Mark & Mallory.

Sad, he mentions not having money and needing to go back for clothes and they give up 1st place. And the 1st place team gets cash. Would have taken care of a new wardrobe. You've got to press on there with passports and medicine in hand.
Old 03-02-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

most of the things can be repurchased but the teams are now not allowed to beg during the rest period. They would need to use the money they have from the beginning of the leg to replace any clothes he may want to have. Other things like flashlights or maps would be lost as well. I think Mark's point is that Mallory doesn't understand his situation and to be so flippant about going on when she is a lot more well off in real life. It goes back to the communication break down and not being a real team but brought together by the producers. It was probably both their faults but they didn't lose the leg by going back to get his bag but they lost because they failed to communicate well together and work as a team. They still had a chance at the detour and simply failed to finished the task quickly enough.
Old 03-02-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
It goes back to the communication break down and not being a real team but brought together by the producers.
Most things on this show come down to that. I will always bet on a team that communicates well over a team that may be younger, stronger, etc. but doesn't communicate well.
Old 03-02-14, 10:12 PM

Yeah, married/dating couples, siblings, co-workers, friends, etc have all won this race but never a parent/child team. I think it goes back in part, to the communication issue where the parent typically has the control/power.
Old 03-03-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That was all on Mallory. Her job was to take care of the backpacks. Oh well.

Didn't mind the cowboys giving up the pass for the very reason stated. It took it out of play to a weak team.

I know each team was to have 10 touches on the hackysack, but I wonder how many touches each partner had to have? There would have been a couple of ways to play that.
Old 03-03-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sad to lose Mallory so soon. I "think" she assumed Mark was going to be back in control of his backpack once they got the car hooked on. Still, he clearly asked her to look after it and she said she would. That said, I'm surprised you can get into the backseat of a taxi and not immediately notice it wasn't there. It's not like dropping a wallet and the trunk was full.

At that point in the race, if Mallory really had everything they needed to go forward (including whatever medicine he was talking about), I would have gone forward. I know Brendon and others would have gladly given Mark some clothes and with so many teams kind of rooting for that team to do well, they probably would have gotten a lot more help at the pit stop than most other teams ever would in that situation.
Old 03-03-14, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark and Mallory were doomed from formation. As memory serves, Bopper was the stronger racer of the two. I certainly recall them losing on a coordination challenge b/c Mark was not coordinated. They didn't get eliminated b/c of the backpack. They got eliminated b/c they picked the wrong detour option.

But better to lose them than to lose Meghan.
Old 03-03-14, 04:16 AM
Banned

A little disappointed about Mark & Mal but honestly doubt they would ever have jelled as a team. Too much recriminations, emotionalism, etc. Kinda seemed that Mark was focused on Bopper not being there instead of committing to Mal.

Honestly don't understand how two returning veterans...both who went pretty far into the game before...can miss out on a cardinal rule. Always, ALWAYS make sure that you have everything before going on to each leg/detour. How hard is that? Heck, every time I leave the house, I check for watch, wallet, cell phone, etc. They should have gone through the self-check: backpack, passport, etc.

And they could blame their demise on Jet & Cord. If Country Girls hadn't gotten the express pass, they might still be in China trying to figure out how to assemble that *&%$ car.
Old 03-03-14, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

That really sucked how Mark and Mallory went out.

I don't get how Mallory could say that it wasn't her fault, because it was. She was holding the bags while Mark was holding the car. She fucked up and wouldn't accept responsibility. I get where Mark was coming from. He's not rich and losing that bag of clean clothes and his medicine would make things really uncomfortable for 23 more days, especially with the warmer countries. Mallory said that they can re-buy everything, but you need the cash that the race provides you for the really expensive cab rides & other public transportation that comes up.

They weren't totally out of it for going back, but lost a lot of time at the detour. Mallory being really short didn't help.
Old 03-03-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Phil said, I don't think I've ever seen so many teams finish so close together.
Old 03-03-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was all on Mallory. She clearly dropped the ball there.
Old 03-03-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Noooooo!!! Mallory!!!!

Yea, that was her fault.
Old 03-03-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's also the issue of going to a cold environment, those clothes cost more money.
Old 03-03-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I wasn't quite paying attention, but was there any reason that none of the teams picked the other challenge where they just had to lie there and someone else did all the work?
Old 03-03-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trelach24 View Post
Maybe I wasn't quite paying attention, but was there any reason that none of the teams picked the other challenge where they just had to lie there and someone else did all the work?
I have no idea. My first instinct was that would have been the better choice. None of the teams even considered it.
Old 03-03-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I have no idea. My first instinct was that would have been the better choice. None of the teams even considered it.
Agreed.
Old 03-03-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I figure it was going to be a time obstacle. Though cupping can be rather painful.
Old 03-03-14, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
the featherball thing was also closer since Mallory told the cab driver to take them to the closest one. The cup one may have needed them to undress and endure a full treatment so who knows how long that would take regardless of any potential pain. Kicking a feathball 10x times sounded easier and faster.
Old 03-03-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The detour choices were either time based or skill based. The cupping will take a finite amount of time (minimum 20-30 min?), while keeping the feather thingy in the air requires some athleticism and a bit of luck. It seems some teams was there kicking around for more than 30 minutes, but we'll never know since everybody chose the same challenge.
Old 03-03-14, 09:12 PM

Mark was being a bitch about the whole thing. Good riddance to that retard hilljack.
Old 03-03-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sven View Post
Mark was being a bitch about the whole thing. Good riddance to that retard hilljack.
The more Mark explained why he had to go back the dumber he sounded. Mallory should have also told him she had plenty of tampons.
Old 03-04-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was with Mark all the way with this one. He specifically asked her to look after his backpack because his hands were full with the car. He had put the car together well ahead of everyone else and if she had done what he asked, they would have been in a good position to remain in the race. Mallory cost them even more time by running around asking cab drivers who didn't speak English to go back and pick up his backpack. She wouldn't listen to him AT ALL, just kept running around like an Energizer Bunny. Mark didn't come off as dumb, but frustrated at being saddled with a stranger who gave him no credit whatsoever and wouldn't listen to him. She was also condescending.

I hope that Mark and Bopper get another shot at the race, if Bopper's health improves.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.