DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Arthur Chu on Jeopardy, an evil genius? anyone watching (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618401-arthur-chu-jeopardy-evil-genius-anyone-watching.html)

Rypro 525 02-27-14 06:12 PM

Arthur Chu on Jeopardy, an evil genius? anyone watching

Lots of articles on this guy. He's probably the first since Ken Jennings to become a name outside of those that watch Jeopardy

"Chu has turned that protocol upside down … and shaken the change out of its pockets. For one thing, he sometimes plays to tie, not win, thereby guaranteeing he brings a lesser competitor to challenge him the next day. He skips around the board looking for Daily Doubles, gobbling them up before competitors find them, in the process monopolizing all the high-value questions. Most unforgivably to many, Chu tries to squeeze in the most questions per round by pounding the bejesus out of his buzzer and interrupting Alex Trebek. This is Alex Trebek, North American icon (he’s Canadian), we’re talking about here."
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8LwagLLbEMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tonight is his 8th night

Cardsfan111 02-27-14 06:16 PM

Re: Arthur Chu on Jeopardy, an evil genius? anyone watching

I'd heard someone talk about him, but hadn't a clue who he was. The DVR is now set so I can check him out.

davidh777 02-27-14 06:21 PM

I'm actually friends with Tom Nissley, who had a great run a couple years ago. Super-smart, and a great guy besides.

Red Dog 02-27-14 06:21 PM

I was going to start a post on him if he wins tonight. Evil Genius. Love the way he plays the game. Good article on him in the WP today.

He's no Ken Jennings though. Nor Brad Rutter.

Rypro 525 02-27-14 06:41 PM

spoiler for tonights
Spoiler:
near Jeopardy record of $58,200. did a true daily double semi early in the game

Red Dog 02-27-14 07:09 PM

About the easiest FJ tonight.

Deftones 02-27-14 07:38 PM

i love that people are up in arms about the way he plays a game. like there's some rule that says you have to play a certain way.

Crocker Jarmen 02-27-14 08:03 PM

I was surprised that he got all this attention and articles before he'd even won 5 games (not an unsual streak). Jeopardy is supposed to be taped a couple months in advance, which makes me wonder if he is indeed going on a winning spree of Ken Jennings proportions and he or the show leaked mention to the press.

Anyway, he's no Ken Jennings who was at least a lot of fun. This guy is a bit of a dud behind the podium (personality wise), although I did laugh at the way he let the girl tie, and wondered if the geneorsity was part of a scheme to ask her out on a date.

Cardsfan111 02-27-14 08:32 PM

Total domination tonight. Nothing real quirky about his behavior this time, except for moving from the bottom of the board to the top. And that would seem to help you accumulate a larger amount of winnings.

fumanstan 02-27-14 08:36 PM

Yeah, I saw articles about him after 3 wins. I don't see the big deal about the way he's playing either.

Nick Danger 02-27-14 08:41 PM

People used to start on the bottom half of the board to look for the daily double. No big deal. His answers are very fast off the mark. If he wants to take a chance on answering the harder questions first, and bet aggressively on the daily double, more power to him if he pulls it off. His aggressive style means that he will eventually crash and burn, but it's working for now.

But I agree that he's just ordinary smart. He's no Brad Rutter.

andicus 02-27-14 09:03 PM

I don't care for him. He's obviously very good, but has zero personality.

I don't like how he hunts around the board. But then again, I get annoyed when players don't pick the categories I like (sciences/math/music/film) and pick crap I hate like poetry/religion. :lol:

I get that it's perfectly within the rules, but it just irritates me. :shrug:

Bring on Watson!

wishbone 02-27-14 09:10 PM

I think I remember seeing him in his first or second game. Hunting for the daily double is a good strategy.

Michael Corvin 02-27-14 11:00 PM

Saw him do a true Daily Double the other night with around $16k. Then for Final Jeopardy only bet $600. Crazy.

Thrush 02-28-14 04:49 AM

Hes not the first person to use that strategy.

Double_Oh_7 02-28-14 08:38 AM

I can't believe people still watch this show :shrug:

jjcool 02-28-14 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 12028162)
I don't care for him. He's obviously very good, but has zero personality.

I don't like how he hunts around the board. But then again, I get annoyed when players don't pick the categories I like (sciences/math/music/film) and pick crap I hate like poetry/religion. :lol:

I get that it's perfectly within the rules, but it just irritates me. :shrug:

Bring on Watson!

Exactly my take on him as well. I don't think he is anywhere near Ken Jennings or Brad Rutter quality. They had both brains and were fun to watch. And actually had personality. This guy just seems like a dud.

TomOpus 02-28-14 09:16 AM

Back in San Diego it was on around 7pm. Out here they show it at 3:30pm. I will try to watch today and check this guy out.

RUSF18 02-28-14 09:35 AM

What are his winnings up to?

Cardsfan111 02-28-14 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by RUSF18 (Post 12028492)
What are his winnings up to?

Nearly 240k, I believe.

Astrofan 02-28-14 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 12028418)
I can't believe people still watch this show :shrug:

Yeah, especially when there's so many quality "reality" cooking shows on. -rolleyes-

Mikael79 02-28-14 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12028018)
I'm actually friends with Tom Nissley, who had a great run a couple years ago. Super-smart, and a great guy besides.

I once saw Ke$ha, who once watched Jeopardy.

sauce07 02-28-14 12:18 PM

I used to play poker with Eddie Timanus all the time, he's the blind contestant that is coming back for the 90's tourney.

Rypro 525 02-28-14 06:42 PM

well
Spoiler:
he won today, much closer game than usual. He won mainly from the big points and an 8,000 dollar daily double bid

Red Dog 02-28-14 07:07 PM

Sorry, but I'm not going to use spoiler tags....west coasters should know by now.

That was an interesting game. Down early. Guy in 2nd pussed out on the first DJ DD, which I guess worked out since he whiffed and Arthur was onions on the 2nd DJ DD. That's an advantage of being a champ with huge earnings already....you really have little to lose relatively.

And another really easy FJ. And :lol: at Arthur's bet. If 2nd place bets the max, it's a tie. Again, pussy. :lol:

Terrible time for Jeopardy to have an 'off' week.