Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Red Road (Sundance TV) - Series Thread - S: Jason Momoa

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This coming up in feb 2014 and 2nd original scripted series on Sundance after Rectify

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29

New York, NY - August 14, 2013 –Sundance Channel announced today the cast and start of production for its gripping new original scripted series “The Red Road.” The full cast includes Martin Henderson (Devil’s Knot, The Ring, Smokin’ Aces), Jason Momoa (Wolves, “Game of Thrones”), Julianne Nicholson (August: Osage County, “Masters of Sex,” “Boardwalk Empire”). Tamara Tunie (“Law And Order: Special Victim’s Unit,” “The Good Wife”), Annalise Basso (Oculus, Standing Up) Allie Gonino (“The Lying Game,” Hidden Away), Kiowa Gordon (The Twilight Saga, Wind Walkers) and Golden Globe® nominee Tom Sizemore (Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down). Production will begin in Atlanta on August 19th.

“The Red Road” is a hard-hitting drama that revolves around a local cop (Henderson) struggling to keep his family together while simultaneously policing two clashing communities: the small town where he grew up and the neighboring mountains, home of a Native American tribe. After a terrible tragedy and coverup occurs involving the cop’s wife (Nicholson), an unholy alliance is forged between the cop and Phillip Kopus (Momoa), a dangerous member of the tribe that will come back to haunt all involved.
Never thought of Sundance as the home of awesome programming, but with recent rectify, returned and top of the lakes, it's quickly making a name for itself
Old 12-22-13, 12:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The Red Road (2014, S:Henderson, Momoa) - Sundance

^ Agreed. Just finished Rectify last night (pretty good). Doesn't hurt that Sundance is the sister channel of AMC.
Old 02-27-14, 06:04 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

DESCRIPTION:
(from Sundance Channel's press release, January 2014) Sundance Channel announced today that its highly anticipated next original scripted series "The Red Road" will premiere on February 27, 2014 at 9pm ET/PT. On the heels of the Emmy(R) and Golden Globe(R)-nominated "Top of the Lake" and the critically acclaimed dramas "Rectify" and "The Returned," "The Red Road" is a complex thriller that marks a continued commitment by the network to offer daring, fresh, scripted entertainment. The series boasts an exceptional cast featuring Martin Henderson (Devil's Knot, The Ring, Smokin' Aces), Jason Momoa (Wolves, "Game of Thrones"), Julianne Nicholson (August: Osage County, "Boardwalk Empire"), Tamara Tunie ("Law and Order: Special Victim's Unit," "The Good Wife"), Annalise Basso (Oculus, Standing Up), Allie Gonino ("The Lying Game," Hidden Away), Kiowa Gordon (The Twilight Saga, Wind Walkers), Lisa Bonet (High Fidelity,"The Cosby Show") and Golden Globe nominee Tom Sizemore (Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, Heat). "The Red Road" is a gripping, dramatic thriller that presents two distinct visions of America today as played out through the conflict between two different men. The series revolves around a local sheriff (Henderson) struggling to keep his family together while simultaneously policing two clashing communities: the small town where he grew up just outside of New York City, and the neighboring mountains - home of a federally unrecognized Native American tribe. After a terrible tragedy and cover-up further divides these worlds, an uneasy alliance is forged between the officer and a dangerous member of the tribe (Momoa). As each of the two men find themselves increasingly compromised by the other and the emotional ghosts of their collective pasts begin to emerge, the lives of both quickly unravel, leading to terrible consequences.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Allie Gonino as TBA
· Annalise Basso as TBA
· Jason Momoa as Phillip Kopus
· Julianne Nicholson as Jean Jensen
· Kiowa Gordon as TBA
· Lisa Bonet as Sky Van Der Veen
· Martin Henderson as Harold Jensen
· Tamara Tunie as TBA
· Tom Sizemore as Jack Kopus

CREW INFORMATION:
· Aaron Guzikowski as CRTR/EP
· Bridget Carpenter as EP
· James Gray as DIR (Pilot)
· Sarah Condon as EP
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qt9dUBKOLHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6 episode season.

For anyone who has Sundance TV, but they don't air in HD, it seems that they have HD versions On Demand. The first episode looks to be available already.
Old 02-27-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: The Red Road (Sundance TV) - Series Thread - S: Jason Momoa

I'm looking forward to this. Has an interesting Indie film type look and premise. Momoa and Henderson seem to be decent leads.

Probably a good idea to make this a season thread since it's only 6 episodes and not many here have Sundance let alone in HD. I fall into that category that is recording this unfortunately in SD. But, I'd rather not wait 6 months to 1 year before it's released on Netflix.
Old 02-27-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm looking forward to this. Has an interesting Indie film type look and premise. Momoa and Henderson seem to be decent leads.

Probably a good idea to make this a season thread since it's only 6 episodes and not many here have Sundance let alone in HD. I fall into that category that is recording this unfortunately in SD. But, I'd rather not wait 6 months to 1 year before it's released on Netflix.

http://www.sundance.tv/series/the-red-road/videos
Old 02-27-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

I think Sundance is only posting episode 1. They had a screen to ask who your provider is and it only listed Time Warner. That is probably for future weeks.
Old 02-27-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Apparently I have Sundance in HD now. Nice. Pretty sure I didn't when Rectify was on.
Old 02-27-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Sundance is only posting episode 1. They had a screen to ask who your provider is and it only listed Time Warner. That is probably for future weeks.
If I click "Log In" in the upper right corner, I see options for ATT U-Verse, Bright House, Charter, Mediacom, Optimum, TWC, and Xfinity.
Old 02-27-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
If I click "Log In" in the upper right corner, I see options for ATT U-Verse, Bright House, Charter, Mediacom, Optimum, TWC, and Xfinity.
Actually I did see that, but I have Directv, so I don't have access.
Old 02-27-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I wanted to watch this but I dont have this channel.
Old 02-27-14, 02:40 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I have Optimum, they don't air in HD... but like I said... On Demand they have both SD and HD... should try looking there with your provider.

Last edited by dex14; 02-27-14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mamoa's career took a wrong turn at Albuquerque. He went from being Drax in Gaurdians of the Galaxy (supposedly turned it down) to this.
Old 03-02-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought episode 1 was okay. A little slow. Definitely felt like an Independent film.

We really don't know much after the first episode. Jean is apparently involved in a hit and run. Phillip knows about it and offers his help to cover it up. Do we even know who Jean hit? I don't think it was mentioned.

Also, who was the body floating in the river where Harold's daughter and her boyfriend were hanging out at?
Old 03-02-14, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought episode 1 was okay. A little slow. Definitely felt like an Independent film.

We really don't know much after the first episode. Jean is apparently involved in a hit and run. Phillip knows about it and offers his help to cover it up. Do we even know who Jean hit? I don't think it was mentioned.

Also, who was the body floating in the river where Harold's daughter and her boyfriend were hanging out at?

It wasn't mentioned who was hit.

The body was the person that Phillip's friend killed and people have been looking for since he's been reported missing. They knew the body was there, that's why they took the daughter and boyfriend to that specific spot, it shows us that Phillip is a sick bastard.
Old 03-02-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

We thought it was passable for a premiere. Gonna give it a few more episodes.
Old 03-02-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
We thought it was passable for a premiere. Gonna give it a few more episodes.
It's only a 6 episode season. There isn't much time to give it "a few more episodes" the season will already be 80% over.

And thanks Keith!

Last edited by DJariya; 03-02-14 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I believe Amazon Instant Video is giving away the first episode for free at the moment. I'll wait for reactions before watching it.
Old 03-03-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keith6601
It wasn't mentioned who was hit.

The body was the person that Phillip's friend killed and people have been looking for since he's been reported missing. They knew the body was there, that's why they took the daughter and boyfriend to that specific spot, it shows us that Phillip is a sick bastard.
I thought it was more to make sure the body was still in the water as he doesn't trust his friend who he believes is a moron. Hence the whole scene of did "you do it here" and bleach when he barged in his house.

I loved the pilot and I am sticking with it. Just sucks because I can't get it in HD.
Old 03-07-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Jason Momoa is married to a Huxtable

Old 03-07-14, 09:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Dish has a free preview of Sundance until April 1. Sundance will be airing eps 1-2 on Sunday for those in need of catching up (like me).
Old 03-08-14, 05:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty decent premiere. Not as "artsy" as Top of the Lake (which is a good thing, IMO...Jane Campion needs to toe down the quirky & concentrate on storytelling). Haven't watched Ep. 2 yet.

Still think Mamoa was misused as Conan. They missed a good opportunity there by doing the 80's-metal-band hair, (mostly) clean-shaven look, etc... like they're still stuck in the Hercules/Xena/Ahnuld mode when it comes to fantasy. Mamoa with shorter hair and beard looks more Conan-ish in Red Road than he did in C the B, IMO.
Old 05-02-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.seat42f.com/sundancetv-re...nd-season.html

SundanceTV announced today the renewal of the network’s second wholly owned original scripted series “The Red Road.” The tense drama revolves around two clashing communities – a small town and the neighboring mountains, home to a Native America tribe – and two dynamic men on a collision course – played by Jason Momoa and Martin Henderson. It will return for another six episodes in 2015.

Sarah Barnett, SundanceTV President, stated, “’The Red Road’ tells the tale of a shocking conflict which plays out in a very specific place – the land that the Native Americans live on literally oozes danger. It’s a show about what happens when you try to bury the truth, and the devastating impact of that. We’re proud of this tremendously talented cast and can’t wait to see where creator Aaron Guzikowski takes this story in season two.”

The drama was described as “gripping” by the Associated Press, “poised and captivating” by Vogue, and “exceptionally well cast” by The Wrap. The cast includes, Jason Momoa (Wolves, “Game of Thrones”), Julianne Nicholson (August: Osage County, “Masters of Sex,” “Boardwalk Empire”), Martin Henderson (Devil’s Knot, The Ring, Smokin’ Aces) and Tamara Tunie (“Law And Order: Special Victim’s Unit,” “The Good Wife”). “The Red Road” hails from acclaimed writer Aaron Guzikowski (Contraband, Prisoners) and veteran producer Sarah Condon (“Bored to Death”). It is shot on location in Georgia. Production will begin later this year.
Did anybody stick with this show? I thought it was very good and I'm looking forward to season 2.
Old 05-02-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Jason Momoa is married to a Huxtable

Is he wearing pants under his pants?
Old 05-02-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

all 6 episodes showing up on my Xfinity On Demand so gonna try to watch them this weekend if i can.
Old 04-02-15, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a heads up, Season 2 premieres on Sundance tomorrow, April 2nd, at 10. Didn't even know until I just saw an ad for it.

Season 1 was OK, not as good as Rectify. But I enjoyed it enough to watch another season. Sundance loves their slow burn shows for some reason.