DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mixology (ABC) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 2/26/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618370-mixology-abc-series-thread-premieres-2-26-14-a.html)

DJariya 02-26-14 01:35 PM

Mixology (ABC) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 2/26/14

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...46317564_n.jpg

ONE BAR. ONE NIGHT. AND ALL THE RIDICULOUS THINGS PEOPLE DO TO FIND LOVE, ON "MIXOLOGY," PREMIERING FEBRUARY 26 ON ABC

"Tom & Maya" - Recently dumped by his fiance, Tom (Blake Lee) hasn't been out on the town in a decade. His best friends, the handsome, confident Cal (Craig Frank) and wiseass Bruce (Andrew Santino), are throwing Tom back into the dating pool whether he likes it or not. Tom's first encounter is with Maya (Ginger Gonzaga), an attorney who's as beautiful as she is brutal -- before long, Tom is in tears. But the night is still young and the boys have plenty of people to meet in Mix's chic crowd, including Maya's engaged friend, Liv (Kate Simses), aggressive and sexy single mom Jessica (Alexis Carra), Jessica's gorgeous yet catty frenemy Fabienne (Frankie Shaw), bubbly cocktail waitress Kacey (Vanessa Lengies), hot and mysterious bartender Dominic (Adan Canto) and failed internet entrepreneur Ron (Adam Campbell). As the night unfolds and closing time approaches, some people may get lucky while others are destined to spend the night alone, on the series premiere of "Mixology," WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 26 (9:31-10:00 p.m., ET/PT) on the ABC Television Network.

"Mixology" stars Adam Campbell ("Epic Movie") as Ron, Adan Canto ("The Following") as Dominic, Alexis Carra ("Incredible Girl") as Jessica, Craig Frank ("8.13") as Cal, Ginger Gonzaga ("Legit") as Maya, Blake Lee ("Parks and Recreation") as Tom, Vanessa Lengies ("Glee") as Kacey, Andrew Santino ("Punk'd") as Bruce, Frankie Shaw ("Blue Mountain State") as Fabienne and Kate Simses ("What's Your Number") as Liv.

Guest Cast: Sarah Wright Olsen as Laura, Keyshawn Johnson as himself, Jonathan Spencer as Carl, Keli Daniels as Tom's Mom, Daniel Brunnemer Hall as Tom's Dad, Guy Hadley as Tall Man/Coach, Hugo Garcia as Maya's Dad, Shawn Huff as Laura's Mom, David Goryl as Laura's Dad, Anna Bowen as Maya's Mom, Garrett Patrick as 15 year old Tom, Nico Jones as 8 year old Tom, and Bella Stine as 5 year old Maya.

13 episodes

There's a lot of stuff tonight, so I'm guessing they may not get watched at all or right away by most here.

TheKing 02-26-14 10:38 PM

Re: Mixology -- Series Premiere -- "Tom and Maya" -- 2/26/14

People thought basing the final season of How I Met Your Mother over the course of one weekend was a bad idea.

This show is basing the entire season on one freaking night. At a bar. I think the networks have just given up on trying to find concepts with staying power, and are just hoping for a hit that they can milk for as long as possible even if there's no narrative basis for it.

Of course sometimes it works. M.A.S.H. managed to stretch the Korean War out to 11 years. That 70s show started in the mid 70s, ended at the end of the 70s and took 9 years to get there.

The problem with this show is that it looks horrible from the previews. It just looks like something that should be on cable somewhere, not on ABC after Modern Family. I'd give it 3 episodes if it were a different network, but ABC tends to let their comedies run longer.

Count Dooku 02-26-14 10:59 PM

http://mixologyshow.com/wp-content/u...x1-300x300.jpghttp://mixologyshow.com/wp-content/u...x1-300x300.jpg

I see two good reasons to watch this show but I don't think they will be enough.

Gunde 02-27-14 01:32 AM

A show about nothing more than 10 horrible people trying to get laid. Are we supposed to root for them?
Sorry, life's just too short.

Trelach24 02-27-14 03:17 AM

I don't think I have ever actively rooted for a show to get cancelled just from watching the commercial for it before.

Gizmo 02-27-14 09:29 AM

Re: Mixology (ABC) -- Series Thread -- Premieres 2/26/14

This looks terrible.

I'd rather ABC renew Suburgatory or Trophy Wife.

rfduncan 02-27-14 09:33 AM

This:

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 12027406)
I'd rather ABC renew Suburgatory

:up:

Quatermass 02-27-14 10:57 AM

Very low expectations based on the commercials. Expectations were met. One and done for me.

DRG 02-27-14 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 12027134)
This show is basing the entire season on one freaking night. At a bar.

Is the season finale just going to people puking and passing out?

TheKing 02-27-14 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 12027577)
Is the season finale just going to people puking and passing out?

After the ratings it got last night, I don't know if we'll ever see the ending ;)

It got a 1.8 after a lead-in of Modern Family that did a 3.1. Basically lost half it's lead-in. On top of that, Nashville then came in with a 1.2, showing just how bad Mixology eroded the audience. It's the worst performance for a premiere in the post-MF slot ever.

It's DOA, and it might take Nashville out with it.

Jadzia 02-27-14 11:40 PM

This looks terrible.

Or bring back Happy Endings.

CrashNBurn69 02-27-14 11:49 PM

I liked the bearded friend. He was pretty funny. I've never liked that English guy though.

madcougar 02-28-14 08:47 AM

It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good. Watched it out of curiosity for the concept. Won't bother with it again.

OldBoy 02-28-14 12:24 PM

This looks terrible.

Suburgatory was officially cancelled?

GoldenJCJ 02-28-14 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12026542)

Man, that looks like a bad sitcom from the 90s. White people as far as the eye can see...and a token black guy.

Ropes Pierre 02-28-14 06:03 PM

it triggered spontaneous rectal bleeding.

i did dig that lawyer chick who looks like kristin kreuk's grandmother.

TheKing 02-28-14 08:27 PM

After finally watching this, I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would.

It's a crappy show, and there are some really annoying characters (the waitress for example is perhaps the most annoying female stereotype in TV history), while most are forgettable, but it's not as bad as the previews suggested.

Red Dog 02-28-14 08:40 PM

I recognized the waitress and her big schnoz from American Dreams. Miss that show so much....wish they put out more than S1 on DVD.

I didn't think it was so bad.

JimRochester 03-01-14 08:10 AM

Couldn't get through the entire episode. Maybe if I was still in that "trying to get laid from a different chick every night" stage of my life I might find it enjoyable but this thing was shitting the bed from the opening lines. There were far better shows that got cancelled so if this thing makes it 6 weeks I will be sorely disappointed.

Decker 05-07-14 11:57 PM

Can't believe this show is still airing. What a shitfest. Not only is it awful and unfunny, but if you weren't watching it from the beginning, you would certainly have no ability to follow it now. Just give up already, ABC

JimRochester 05-08-14 06:00 AM

Some shows take time to develop
Some shows have a couple good characters that keep it afloat
Some shows look good in promos but can't keep going for 22 minutes
Some shows have a good premise but poor execution.

This show is amazing. It has none of those. It is such a steaming pile of crap, I can't even find the promos entertaining. Although anecdotal and not scientific, the fact we have a board where absolutely no one defends this thing says something to me. They dumped Back In The Game and are keeping this? Whoever is in charge of programming shouldn't be fired, they should be tarred and feathered.

boogieman03 05-08-14 10:21 AM

At the risk of forum ridicule, I'll admit to watching it. It's not the best show, but I get some laughs out of it. One episode a few weeks back was pretty funny. The rest were just, ok. A lot of recognizable "jokes" in the show if you've ever gone out to a bar to meet women.

I thought it was a pretty interesting premise as well. Doubt it will get another season.

CrashNBurn69 05-08-14 05:03 PM

I like it lol :wave:

Red Dog 05-08-14 06:31 PM

Same here.

Boondock Saint 05-08-14 06:54 PM

Don't mind this, surprisingly