DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Americans - Season Premiere - "Comrades" - 2/26/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/618358-americans-season-premiere-comrades-2-26-14-a.html)

dex14 02-26-14 06:02 AM

The Americans - Season Premiere - "Comrades" - 2/26/14

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...92384659_n.jpg

Episode 1 / Production #201 - "Comrades" (Airs February 26, 10:00 pm e/p) - Elizabeth comes back from her injury and straight into what should have been a routine mission - but it goes awry, leaving her and Philip in fear not only for themselves but for their whole network... and family. Paige's suspicions have only grown in her mother's absence. Meanwhile, Stan continues to fall for the Russian agent who has started to play him. Written by Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg; directed by Thomas Schlamme.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PnxQX4j4_Fs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13 episode second season.

Rob V 02-26-14 07:05 AM

Re: The Americans - Season Premiere - "Comrades" - 2/26/14

I would give S1 a solid B... I hope this season amps up the action but either way I'm in.

RoyalTea 02-26-14 07:14 AM

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...rd-in-season-2

"The Americans," FX's Cold War drama about KGB spies posing as a married couple in Ronald Reagan's America, had the poor timing to arrive as a very good new show near the start of what turned out to be an incredible year. Had it debuted in a different period — even a year or two earlier — it would have set a very high bar to clear for all that followed and been a constant point of comparison. But there was just so much quality TV in 2013 that it kept slipping behind other work, even though it had so much to recommend it. When I did my best-of rankings for the year, I wound up putting it 18th, simultaneously kicking myself for doing so while struggling to argue that I preferred it to the previous 17.

We're still pretty early in 2014, and who can say what the year (which has already given us HBO's mesmerizing "True Detective") will have to offer, but it's hard to imagine "The Americans" (which returns tomorrow night at 10) getting lost in the shuffle this time around. It's taken a major creative leap — the kind that can elevate a show from a strong example of its era to one that transcends eras — and as I barreled through the five episodes FX sent out to critics, I felt my pulse quickening in that way I want to feel so often in my job but so rarely do: when something good becomes something great.

dex14 02-26-14 08:34 AM

Can't fucking wait. Russell is so god damn sexy to me on this.

Geofferson 02-26-14 08:37 AM

I've read a few early reviews (including Sepinwall's above) that indicate this'll be a very strong season. This made my top 10 list last year, so am very excited for this to return. :up:

Raul3 02-26-14 08:41 AM

My favorite new show last year. Some episodes ranked higher than Breaking Bad for me. So yeah, I'm that big of a fan.

bunkaroo 02-26-14 09:05 AM

Very happy to have this back.

bootsy 02-26-14 09:21 AM

Heard this season is definitely a step up from season 1 which was already really good.

Astrofan 02-26-14 09:55 AM

Well, don't read the LA Times' review this morning unless you'd like to have some suspense ruined.

slop101 02-26-14 10:11 AM

I like the show, but I still can't get over how the spies and the agent looking for them just happen to be neighbors. So dumb.

Superman07 02-26-14 10:21 AM

Final disc from Netflix should arrive tomorrow so we can catch up! :up: I was so-so on season 1 until they had their big couples fight. Then it clicked for me, but unfortunately we had DVR issues and didn't finish up the season.

boogieman03 02-26-14 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 12026098)

Awesome news.

DJariya 02-26-14 10:46 AM

Yup, can't wait. The show took awhile to get going, but once it did, the stuff was fantastic.

Decker 02-26-14 10:53 AM

Maybe, I'm the the minority here, but I LOVED Season One. It was my favorite TV show last year -- not just of new shows, but overall favorite (caveat - haven't watched any Breaking Bad, and I understand why that's getting heaped-on praise).
I can't wait for tonight's premiere!

starseed1981 02-26-14 10:57 AM

I also loved season one. I would put it in my top five last year. Psyched for tonight.

mphtrilogy 02-26-14 12:14 PM

very much looking forward to this, ryhs and russell were great last year, great cast, music, setting everything!

Bill Needle 02-26-14 12:22 PM

I tried to like this last year but got too bored with it to continue. It was just too dreary for me, kind of like that Eddie Izzard travelers show a few years ago. I wanted to like it, but just didn't enjoy watching it. I liked the leads but much of the supporting cast are not exactly my favorite actors either. Maybe I had too much going on when this originally aired and I'll go read the last half season recaps to catch up and give it another shot.

malichai 02-26-14 01:18 PM

Loved this show last year, for the most part. Admittedly, I started fast-forwarding through the scenes with the kids, but the rest of the show was just top notch.

RoyalTea 02-26-14 01:56 PM

Season 2 casting info on wikipedia (nothing major, but I'll put in spoilers just in case)
Spoiler:
The actresses who play Martha, Nina and Sandra were all listed as 'recurring' in season 1, but are listed as 'starring' in Season 2. I'm surprised that Nina and Martha weren't 'stars' in season 1, but Sandra Beeman moving to a starring role is interesting.

My speculation on this season
Spoiler:
Stan & Sandra separate and Stan moves out. Philip & Elizabeth reconcile and move back in and get a little careless because they don't have to worry about Stan anymore. Sandra begins to piece things together and figures out that Philizabeth (I hate cute couple portmanteaus, but I couldn't resist) are not what they seem. By the time she gets enough evidence to pass along to Stan, Nina has already flipped Stan. At first I didn't think that Stan could be turned, but his weakness in S1 was Amador's death. If the KGB can make it look like Amador's death was an inside job (CIA/FBI), who knows what that could do to Stan.

boogieman03 02-26-14 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12026163)
Can't fucking wait. Russell is so god damn sexy to me on this.

This may be of interest to you.

GQ photos.

Jackskeleton 02-26-14 02:21 PM

I will drink a leninade in honor of this new episode.

Coladar1 02-26-14 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12026286)
I like the show, but I still can't get over how the spies and the agent looking for them just happen to be neighbors. So dumb.

Yep. Not to threadcrap, but I grapple with how this show is viewed so highly by so many - which it undoubtedly is.

I gave it six episodes last year, and it just got worse. I can buy it just ain't my thing, but for this part - and it's this which turned me off the show. Having them be neighbors is so goddamn stupid, so convoluted, so f*Ing unbelievable - I mean give me a break. Fine though, it happens... because one side or the other wants it to. They know about the other, move in to keep an eye on them.

That isn't the case - it is purely by happenstance. Impossible. Then the fact the writers use this element as the primary source of conflict and tension? Come on... ridiculous plot device which even a hack could see as being desperate and absurd, and then you decide to focus specifically on that? Revolve the show around it?

I thought about giving this a second chance with the premiere tonight, but that one point is unbelievably hard to gloss over and look past. Especially when you're dealing with a topic that offers a wealth of material, a fantastical well that'll never run dry - cold war spies on enemy territory? Absolutely no reason to ever resort to such a convoluted device, and then they do so in the very first episode? This show, really more than any other in the past few years, is one I just don't "get".

dex14 02-26-14 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 12026580)
This may be of interest to you.

GQ photos.

Oh yea. I've seen those. I posted them in the season finale thread. They needed to be shared.

Deftones 02-26-14 04:19 PM

can't wait. good to hear that the quality is still up to par. :up:

Gambit 02-26-14 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Coladar1 (Post 12026658)
Yep. Not to threadcrap, but I grapple with how this show is viewed so highly by so many - which it undoubtedly is.

I gave it six episodes last year, and it just got worse. I can buy it just ain't my thing, but for this part - and it's this which turned me off the show. Having them be neighbors is so goddamn stupid, so convoluted, so f*Ing unbelievable - I mean give me a break. Fine though, it happens... because one side or the other wants it to. They know about the other, move in to keep an eye on them.

That isn't the case - it is purely by happenstance. Impossible. Then the fact the writers use this element as the primary source of conflict and tension? Come on... ridiculous plot device which even a hack could see as being desperate and absurd, and then you decide to focus specifically on that? Revolve the show around it?

I thought about giving this a second chance with the premiere tonight, but that one point is unbelievably hard to gloss over and look past. Especially when you're dealing with a topic that offers a wealth of material, a fantastical well that'll never run dry - cold war spies on enemy territory? Absolutely no reason to ever resort to such a convoluted device, and then they do so in the very first episode? This show, really more than any other in the past few years, is one I just don't "get".

This seems like something so trivial to get hung up on. Yes, it's probably pretty unlikely. But people win the lottery all the time as well. In this particular case, the story that they wanted to create was to intertwine the lives of the spies and the FBI. Being next door neighbors achieves that and provides many more opportunities for interaction than if they were just set up as casual acquaintances.

Then again, maybe I'm just more forgiving with these types of things. I watched Prison Break to the very end even though I continued to shake my head at the preposterous set-ups they had week after week.