Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Actors Who Doom Every TV Show They're On.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 09:02 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NBC’s newest sitcom About a Boy premiered last night. The show, based on the popular book-turned-film and created by Jason Katims, could very well be a hit for the network. However, it already has one strike against it: David Walton. Walton is a talented actor, but he’s yet to catch a break — all of his shows have been canceled after just one season. And he’s not the only one with this bad luck. Here are ten great actors who unfortunately doom the shows that they’re on.

David Walton

Not only is David Walton the inspiration for this list, but he might also be the unluckiest actor on it. His curse began in 2004 with the quickly forgotten Mike White sitcom Cracking Up. 2006′s Heist was canceled within just one month. Quarterlife, based on the web series of the same name, was canceled after the pilot aired — understandably so, because it had the worst ratings of any NBC show in that particular time slot in almost 17 years. From there, Walton went back to comedy with 100 Questions, Perfect Couples, and Bent. All were on NBC and all were canceled within a season. The three sitcoms had a combined total of 25 episodes.

Kyle Bornheimer

Kyle Bornheimer shared the screen with Walton in Perfect Couples (and guest starred in an episode of Bent). Prior to that, he was the lead in Worst Week for one season (the British original had two) and Romantically Challenged, which only aired four of its six produced episodes. Most recently, he was in the awful Family Tools, an ABC midseason replacement canceled after two episodes.

Hayes MacArthur

Hayes MacArthur rounded out the trio of funny actors anchoring Perfect Couples, so it’s possible that the entire cast is doomed. MacArthur, consistently great in every show he pops up in, also joined Bornheimer in Worst Week before moving on to Go On, the Matthew Perry vehicle that was canceled shortly after the first season ended. He currently stars in The Rebels, but considering it’s the worst of the new Amazon pilots, I can’t imagine that being his big break, either.

Josh Cooke

You may not know Josh Cooke’s name but you’ve definitely seen him around. Most recently, he has had arcs in Hart of Dixie and Dexter, but prior to those, he had a lot of bad luck. 2005′s quirky comedy Committed was quickly canceled (and nearly impossible to find). The wedding sitcom Big Day and boring bro comedy Four Kings both failed to air a full season. Better With You reunited him with Jennifer Finnigan but was canceled just two days after its season finale.

Christian Slater

Christian Slater’s name often comes up in conversations about cursed actors, though he’s nowhere near the most unlucky of the bunch (and he has the biggest name). Still, he has failed quite spectacularly. The 2008 drama My Own Worst Enemy, featuring Slater in two different roles, had nine episodes before its cancellation. A year later, The Forgotten only got one season, too. Then came the curious case of Breaking In. The Fox sitcom was canceled after its first season, oddly renewed a few months after that, and then canceled a second time before the second season even ended. The upcoming Mind Games probably won’t last long either.

Jessica St. Clair

It pains me to put Jessica St. Clair on this list, because she’s such a great comedic talent. Unfortunately, networks haven’t picked up on that yet and keep yanking the shows that she’s on. She first appeared on The Colin Quinn Show, which lasted all of three episodes. Worst Week, In The Motherhood, and Love Bites were all one-season wonders. 2012′s Best Friends Forever was hilarious and underrated, but NBC disagreed and canceled it before it aired a full season. Fortunately, her newest show Review looks amazing.

Erinn Hayes

Like St. Clair, it’s a shame that Erinn Hayes is on this list. She’s one of my favorite actresses but has a series of duds behind her. She, too, was on Worst Week, playing the bride to Bornheimer’s groom. The Winner only had six episodes and On the Spot only had five. She had an extended arc on the funny but barely watched Kitchen Confidential. Her Jimmy Fallon-created Guys With Kids was promising but also ultimately canceled.

Tyler Labine

Tyler Labine gets a bad rap as being the poor man’s Jack Black, but he’s definitely funny in his own way, and, if he ever lands a show that lasts, is sure to become a household name. Unfortunately, he has had a string of bad luck: Dead Last, Invasion, Sons of Tucson, Mad Love, and Animal Practice? All had just one season. He’s now joining the Hulu game with Deadbeat — so here’s hoping he has better luck on the internet.

Kristoffer Polaha

After a few bit parts here and there, Kristoffer Polaha landed the lead role in the Hawaiian hotel soap opera North Shore. If it sounds terrible, that’s because it was. Fox canceled it after a single season. Miss Guided, co-starring Judy Greer, was actually a gem of a sitcom but lasted less than a month. The horrible Valentine averaged less than a million viewers during its first and only season. Life Unexpected did manage to make it to a second season before cancellation, but both Ringer and Made in Jersey also failed.

Jerry O’Connell

Jerry O’Connell had a few television hits in the ’80s and ’90s, but just like that, his streak was over. Do Not Disturb was a sitcom about the behind-the-scenes happenings at a hotel that failed to resonate with viewers (or air a full season). Carpoolers had a great cast (Jerry Minor, T.J. Miller) and shared producers with Arrested Development but was poorly executed. The Defenders‘ one season got lost in the shuffle of better legal dramas. O’Connell’s most recent attempt was CBS’s We Are Men, which was canceled after two terrible episodes.

http://flavorwire.com/441695/10-tale...e-on/view-all/
Old 02-25-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 10 Actors Who Doom Every TV Show They're On.

Tyler Labine was the first that came to mind for me.
Old 02-25-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Paula Marshall, and for a while, everything she was on seemed to get canceled. Haven't seen her in much lately, so I suppose her luck hasn't changed.
Old 02-25-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to make sure Christian Slater was listed. Chandler post Friends is one more failure from making the list.
Old 02-25-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,199 Likes on 2,065 Posts

I actually like Christian Slater a lot but every time I see that's he's going to be in another new show I know it'll be so short lived that there's really no point in watching.
Old 02-25-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Wasn't Tyler Labine in Reaper, though?

With so many shows coming and going, to be on a list like this (The "Ted McGinley" list) at least means you've been picked up multiple times for shows, as opposed to being one and done...
Old 02-25-14, 12:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

David Walton is probably the reason i will skip about a boy, just dont like the guy for some reason... even though i like the writer/creator...
Old 02-25-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
David Walton is probably the reason i will skip about a boy, just dont like the guy for some reason... even though i like the writer/creator...
Ditto. I love New Girl, but had to fast forward the episodes he was in.
Old 02-25-14, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tyler Labine

Tyler Labine gets a bad rap as being the poor man’s Jack Black, but he’s definitely funny in his own way, and, if he ever lands a show that lasts, is sure to become a household name. Unfortunately, he has had a string of bad luck: Dead Last, Invasion, Sons of Tucson, Mad Love, and Animal Practice? All had just one season. He’s now joining the Hulu game with Deadbeat — so here’s hoping he has better luck on the internet.
This is the first person who sprang to mind when I read the thread title. I know I avoid any show he is on.

Jessica St Clair is awesome on Comedy Bang Bang.
Old 02-25-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

No Ted McGinley? Fail.
Old 02-25-14, 03:06 PM

Received 807 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
No Ted McGinley? Fail.
This.
Old 02-25-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
No Ted McGinley? Fail.
You got the joke wrong. It's "Every TV Show improves with Ted McGinley."

Yeah he totally was worse than this breath of fresh air:

Old 02-25-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Adam Baldwin killed The X-Files, Angel, and Firefly.

He was Chuck for something like five years, though, so that curse might be broken.
Old 02-25-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Summer Glau: Firefly, The Unit, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse, The Cape, Alphas

I'm worried about Arrow.
Old 02-25-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by duff beer
You got the joke wrong. It's "Every TV Show improves with Ted McGinley."

Yeah he totally was worse than this breath of fresh air:

While I also liked Jefferson better than Steve, Ted McGinley is generally considered the death of a show. He had his own category at the original Jump the Shark website.
Old 02-25-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just researched some of this online, before Married with Children he essentially appeared on shows that were already on the downslope. Sorry but really Jefferson negates any critiques here because he wholly was responsible for the improvement of one of the most widely regarded classic shows ever.

It's like saying Lincoln was dooming everything he touched, oh and winning some sort of civil war blah blah but who cares, yeah he doomed everything.
Old 02-25-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by duff beer
I just researched some of this online, before Married with Children he essentially appeared on shows that were already on the downslope. Sorry but really Jefferson negates any critiques here because he wholly was responsible for the improvement of one of the most widely regarded classic shows ever.

It's like saying Lincoln was dooming everything he touched, oh and winning some sort of civil war blah blah but who cares, yeah he doomed everything.
The actors we're listing didn't necessarily doom the show because of their presence, but they signed on to projects that for some reason or another, were doomed, so he fits.
Old 02-25-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Matt LeBlanc. First Joey, now Pucks
Old 02-25-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

This could have included Nathan Fillion before Castle (though he didn't doom Desperate Housewives in his one season).

I guess I'm part of the problem because I admit I only know a couple of these names.
Old 02-25-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Poor Christian....
Old 02-25-14, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Summer Glau: Firefly, The Unit, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Dollhouse, The Cape, Alphas

I'm worried about Arrow.
Unfortunately that is who came to my mind when I read the thread title. Looks like Arrow may survive her even though we have not seen too much of her since the first few episodes of Season 2. I've always dug her.
Old 02-25-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Wow. I guess I'm the only one who preferred David Garrison as Steve Rhodes on Married With Children. He was the voice of reason to the Bundys, and was more dominant to Marcie. Then Jefferson comes in, he's dumber than Al (if that's possible), and the unfunny Marcie was thrust to the spotlight more.
Old 02-25-14, 05:41 PM
Banned

The first person to come to my mind was Sarah Wayne Callies. I have only seen her on Prison Break and The Walking Dead, but she was absolutely horrible on both shows.
Old 02-25-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
The first person to come to my mind was Sarah Wayne Callies. I have only seen her on Prison Break and The Walking Dead, but she was absolutely horrible on both shows.
I don't think you know how to play this game...
Old 02-25-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Mark Valley.

FRINGE killing him off early in the series was probably the smartest move they made. Keen Eddie, Human Target, Swingtown, Harry's Law, and probably a few more I can't think of.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.