House of Cards (Netflix) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- Available 2/14/14

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: House of Cards (Netflix) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- Available 2/14/14

General thought on entirety of Season 2

Spoiler:
I think it really suffered from not having a legitimate good guy/threat to Underwood. It was a struggle between one bad guy doing awful things for his benefit against another bad guy doing awful things for his benefit.

Was Kate Mara not available for the season or is that just what they wanted to do creatively? One of the more shocking deaths in a show for me, especially Episode 1. Any other early season deaths are probably more predictable because it is probably known that the actor is leaving before hand.
Old 02-22-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
General thought on entirety of Season 2

Spoiler:
I think it really suffered from not having a legitimate good guy/threat to Underwood. It was a struggle between one bad guy doing awful things for his benefit against another bad guy doing awful things for his benefit.

Was Kate Mara not available for the season or is that just what they wanted to do creatively? One of the more shocking deaths in a show for me, especially Episode 1. Any other early season deaths are probably more predictable because it is probably known that the actor is leaving before hand.

Spoiler:
Zoe Barnes' death really had nothing to do with the decision of the actress, creatively that is how it went down in the source material as well.
Old 02-22-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
The three Michael Dobbs books with FU as the central figure are titled "House of Cards", "To Play the King", and "The Final Cut". The first two seasons covered the first two books. There should be enough materials for a third and possibly fourth season, assuming Netflix and the talent involved are all on board to bring it to a conclusion.
I had to check Wikipedia for the last book/English series. Interesting, it's all I can say.
Old 02-22-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Finished episode 1 or Chapter 14 tonight:

Spoiler:
Wow, the murder of Zoe shocked the shit out of me!

That was totally unexpected.

at Frank finally acknowledging the camera at the end and the F U cuffs.

Question, does Sebastian play a big part in the remaining episodes?

I'm a little confused about he storyline with Rachel and Doug.

Spoiler:

What is the threat against her? Why did Doug order her to pull out of that job? I know Doug used her to seduce Russo and then get him drugged up last season. Who the hell is she to Doug?

As for Molly Parker's character:

Spoiler:
It does look like Frank is molding her to be another Russo. I have wonder what the materials were on his computer.
Old 02-22-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoiler box 1 - yes

Spoiler box 2 - just answering the question nothing from upcoming episodes
Spoiler:
Made here leave that job because they needed her out of town, they knew Zoe and the other reporters were looking into Russo's death so they want to distance themselves from anything shady around him, they can't have any actual evidence/witnesses to anything they've done. I can't remember how the reporters knew about her/how they found out but they were looking for her
Old 02-23-14, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great season. But I do feel rushed to watch all the episodes to avoid being hit by the spoilers everywhere. Can't follow anybody on twitter while watching it.
Old 02-27-14, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chick who played Jackie Sharpe, I think I'd hit it.
Old 02-27-14, 06:50 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I'm late to the party on this but I just watched Episode 1 Season 2 and HOLY F'IN S**T!!

And the cufflinks were freakin' hilarious.
Old 03-01-14, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finished the season, great soapy stuff. Great performances all around.
Robin Wright can turn your blood ice cold with just a look. I'd like to see more recognition for Michael Kelly (Doug Stamper)

I was shocked by (ep 11)
Spoiler:
the threesome from out of nowhere,
even more than I was by the (ep 1)
Spoiler:
murder of Zoe.

Now that (ep 13)
Spoiler:
Rachel has killed Doug, I'd like to never see her again, so we know she was able to go on with her life as her own.
Old 03-03-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped season two. I thought it was just phenomenal. I can't wait to own the blu-ray.
Old 03-03-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
I've watched all of season two. My guess for season three:

Spoiler:
Frank's downfall. You get the rise, the summit, then the fall
Definitely.
Old 03-04-14, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speculation about season 3, influenced by reading about the third British series...

Spoiler:
I think there is room for there to be 4 or 5 seasons of this show, so I'm not at all certain it's going to follow the third series. Even if it does, there is so much different about our system that it doesn't really translate too well unless it becomes about he primary season. I therefore wonder if season 3 won't be new material focusing on a still ascendant Underwood and then the next season or couple of seasons will cover re-election and eventual assassination.
Old 09-20-14, 10:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

which ep did
Spoiler:
Underwood kill Zoe?
Old 09-20-14, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

OldBoy: Season 2, Episode 1
Old 09-22-14, 02:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
thanks!
Old 09-22-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Oldboy had a second season?
Old 10-28-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

I didn't see a season 3 thread yet....

Elizabeth Norment, 'House of Cards' Actress, Dies at 61
9:13 AM PST 10/28/2014 by Mike Barnes

Elizabeth Norment, the veteran actress who played the loyal executive secretary to Kevin Spacey’s wicked politician Frank Underwood on House of Cards, has died. She was 61.

Norment, who appeared as Nancy Kaufberger on the Netflix series, died Oct. 13 at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York, her sister, Kate, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Her character worked for Underwood from the time he was a member of the House of Representatives from South Carolina through his recent career upturns.

"Everyone at House of Cards is deeply saddened by Elizabeth’s passing. She was a talented actress, a warm soul and a good friend to us all," series showrunner Beau Willimon said in a statement.

“Elizabeth Norment was a talented actress with a beautiful spirit who touched the entire House of Cards family,” execs at MRC, the production company behind the show, added.

Norment also played Judge Arlene Brewer on three episodes over a six-year span on Law & Order and appeared in guest roles on such shows as St. Elsewhere, Party of Five, ER, Mad About You and Blue Bloods.

Earlier, she showed up on the Steven Bochco series L.A. Law, Hooperman and Doogie Howser, M.D.

Norment had small roles in the films The Woman in Red (1984), Runaway (1984) and Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion (1997) and played Eunice Kennedy in the 1985 CBS miniseries Robert Kennedy and His Times.

A native of Washington, D.C., whose father was an administrator in the CIA, Norment received a master's degree from the Yale School of Drama in 1979 and joined Robert Brustein’s American Repertory Theatre as a founding member.

She headed to Southern California in 1983 to play an ingenue opposite Peter Ustinov in Beethoven's Tenth at the Ahmanson Theatre.

In 1990, Norment’s career took off after she starred as Rosalind and Beatrice, respectively, in As You Like It and Much Ado About Nothing at the Grove Shakespeare Festival in Garden Grove, Calif.

“A lot of people in the business either saw them or heard about [those performances],” she told the Los Angeles Times in 1991 as she prepared to play Portia in another Shakespeare classic, The Merchant of Venice. “I’ve been working steadily ever since.”

In addition to her sister, survivors include her mother, Nancy; her other sisters, Sarah and Martha; her brother, Clarence; and six nieces and nephews.
Old 01-09-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Just fifinshed up the season.

Loved it. Probably wont take as long to watch 3 as it did 2 for us.

Speculation on 3, The show is called House of Cards, a hoc can come down easily and quickly.

Last edited by whotony; 02-26-15 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-09-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Also who gets to start the season three topic?
Old 03-22-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

We finally finished S2 last night. I know at this point most of you are done with season 3.

I've really struggled to keep watching. Sure the hour still flies by, bit there is a lot of unbelievable scenes and actions by characters to the point it annoys me to the point I feel like characters are twirling mustaches.

Spoiler:
Frank killing Zoey was just a bad as him killing Russo. Makes you wonder what else he's done in the past. Regardless, once he did that he became a villain and not the hero of the story.

A shame because there were a lot of good moments in season 1. You really got the sense of how Frank could wield his skills to get outcomes in the House. Now he just makes a suggestion and people follow his master plan.

Spoiler:
Examples are getting the Secretary of State and Sharpe to follow his plan. "But that's treason!...Okay."
Just needed a evil laughing session afterwards.

I hope for season 3
Spoiler:
a series of heroes emerge to bring Frank down. Would make things more compelling. That or have somebody beat him at his own game. I thought end of season 1 was great when he figured out Tusk was pulling his strings and he was the small fish.
Old 03-22-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I hope for season 3
Spoiler:
a series of heroes emerge to bring Frank down. Would make things more compelling. That or have somebody beat him at his own game. I thought end of season 1 was great when he figured out Tusk was pulling his strings and he was the small fish.
Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that your hopes don't exactly come true. Though he does sort of meet his match with the show's version of Vladimir Putin.

Overall S3 was hugely disappointing and a good step down from the previous seasons. Basically, Frank got himself the presidency, and now he's got nowhere else to go. It's like a dog catching the car he was racing after - now what? Apparently, not much.
Old 03-22-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

I've really struggled to keep watching. Sure the hour still flies by, bit there is a lot of unbelievable scenes and actions by characters to the point it annoys me to the point I feel like characters are twirling mustaches.
If it annoys you in season 2, you won't make it two episodes into season 3 before you throw in the towel. I wouldn't say S3 is just a step down, I'd say its out right bad.