TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House of Cards (Netflix) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- Available 2/14/14

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 10:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: House of Cards (Netflix) -- Season 2 Discussion Thread -- Available 2/14/14

Regarding the security camera footage in e02:

Spoiler:
I would agree that from that distance it would be apparent that she's talking to someone and not just standing there.

That aside, how about the fact that the security camera would have caught the mysterious figure sneaking away from behind that fence seconds after Zoe was clearly launched into the path of an oncoming train (seconds after she decided to duck behind the fence thingy for no good reason). And he would have been captured arriving at the platform and going behind the fence thingy - presumably letting several trains go by while waiting for Zoe to show up.

Old 02-19-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by smg669

Spoiler:
I would agree that from that distance it would be apparent that she's talking to someone and not just standing there.

That aside, how about the fact that the security camera would have caught the mysterious figure sneaking away from behind that fence seconds after Zoe was clearly launched into the path of an oncoming train (seconds after she decided to duck behind the fence thingy for no good reason). And he would have been captured arriving at the platform and going behind the fence thingy - presumably letting several trains go by while waiting for Zoe to show up.

Exactly!
Spoiler:
I think it would've been far more believable had they not had any security camera footage at all.
Old 02-19-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Spoiler:

I don't think that is Frank in your picture. Looks like a guy in pants and shirt.
Old 02-19-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I don't think that is Frank in your picture. Looks like a guy in pants and shirt.
That's not the point. The point is that if you keep watching that footage, someone (Frank) will end up walking out from behind there, seconds after the hit.
Old 02-19-14, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
That's not the point. The point is that if you keep watching that footage, someone (Frank) will end up walking out from behind there, seconds after the hit.
What this guy said.

Also, there's no way a reasonable person would be able to look at that security footage and
Spoiler:
believe that Zoe "tripped" and was not forcibly launched into the oncoming train. Frank pushes her really hard.
Old 02-19-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to watch the scene again in my computer. That's a good complain.
Old 02-19-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

You guys are way too critical of something that may come back in the next season. There is nothing in the video that shows that she was pushed or even touched by someone. Someone walking from behind a few seconds later would not look suspicious if you thought someone committed suicide or tripped.
Old 02-19-14, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Someone walking from behind a few seconds later would not look suspicious if you thought someone committed suicide or tripped.
Really? I hope you're not the detective on the case when I get murdered.
Old 02-19-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really? I hope you're not the detective on the case when I get murdered.
Yes really. Even if they identified that person, they would never be able to prove that she was pushed.
Old 02-19-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The fact that she's standing there, visibly talking aloud, moved quickly behind the fence the immediately falls the opposite direction she was going? No way any cop would buy that. I'm just saying it'd be more believable if there wasn't any security footage at all. That they have even part of it on camera and decide there was no one else there and that she tripped is amateur hour.
Old 02-19-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Everyone here already came in with the knowledge of "a murder" while looking at that track footage. For an overworked homicide detective at the murder capital there really is not enough to pursue. In fact, Lucas Goodwin's behest of a massive conspiracy and cover up involving the US Vice President probably served more as a deterrent than encouragement for someone with no dog in the fight...

The footage itself showed no acts of foul play, as it was conveniently blocked from camera. The images of an unknown person walking away from "The Accident" several seconds later on the opposite side of the track, while suspicious and somewhat questionable, is not solid evidence that a murder just took place. For argument's sake what if that was just some random person who happen to be deaf or had earphones on, who never witnessed or heard the incident, and therefore just kept on walking as if nothing was happening?

Regarding how the same incident went down in the BBC mini series:

Spoiler:
She died when FU shoved her off the top of the roof at the House of Commons, after having that similar conversation. She had enough time to scream out "Daddy! Noooooooo.." before plunging to her death. The death was ruled as an "accident" as well.
Old 02-19-14, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You guys act like police are so eager to keep cases opened based on circumstantial evidence. There were two witnesses that said they believed she fell, including the conductor. That plus the video, where I doubt you'd be able to see her even moving her lips, is all the police would need to close a case. But personally, I think this video will come back in a future season.
Old 02-19-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well yeah, this is not CSI, or something like that, where they have super HD cameras than zoom and get all the details. These are real security cameras where all the video looks grainy and you can't see shit.

But as I mentioned before, watching that scene again, episode 1, it starts around the minute 33, try in your computer, I think people complaining have a valid point. I just try to go with it and not think too much about it.
Old 02-19-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 726 Likes on 530 Posts

This season does seem to go by quick...

Spoiler:
To end Season 1 with Frank being sworn in as VP and then this season ending with him sworn in as POTUS. I'd like to think more than a year had gone by but it doesn't seem like it.
Old 02-19-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
I just try to go with it and not think too much about it.
I wish i could do this with the Meachum scene in episode 11. I think the Vice President murdering someone in the subway and getting away with it was far more believable than that scene.
Old 02-20-14, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing about Lucas really bugs me.

Spoiler:
He made one big, stupid mistake. All of his troubles could have been avoided if he had just asked the hacker to look into the phone records of Zoe Barnes instead of the freaking Vice President of the United States. Her name wouldn't have even been noticed at all by the NSA/FBI. But asking for Underwood's records instead was bound to set off instant alarms. Idiot.
Old 02-20-14, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Spoiler:
To end Season 1 with Frank being sworn in as VP...
No it didn't.
Spoiler:
He became VP in this 2nd season
Old 02-20-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
One thing about Lucas really bugs me.

Spoiler:
He made one big, stupid mistake. All of his troubles could have been avoided if he had just asked the hacker to look into the phone records of Zoe Barnes instead of the freaking Vice President of the United States. Her name wouldn't have even been noticed at all by the NSA/FBI. But asking for Underwood's records instead was bound to set off instant alarms. Idiot.
Huh?

Spoiler:
He wanted her phone records too. He needed Frank's to tie him to the Russo murder. But putting that aside, he was being set up by Gavin and the FBI in the first place. No alarms were set off. He fell right into their trap the minute he decided to go the hacker route.
Old 02-20-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Merkin,
Spoiler:
It didn't matter who's records he was after - the hacker was working for the FBI from the get-go and had him do illegal stuff to set him up, regardless.

Overall, I think binge watching works in this show's favor, because if you take a week between episodes to let it digest and sink in (like, say, True Detective, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Justified, etc.), then you'd see how the actual show is a house of cards, and that it is rather preposterous and wafer-thin junk. Fun and well made, but junk all the same.
Old 02-20-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101

Overall, I think binge watching works in this show's favor, because if you take a week between episodes to let it digest and sink in (like, say, True Detective, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Justified, etc.), then you'd see how the actual show is a house of cards, and that it is rather preposterous and wafer-thin junk. Fun and well made, but junk all the same.
I agree. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of the early seasons of Dexter. The material is perfect for Kevin Spacey, who I always felt was a hammy actor to begin with. This is really the perfect role for him.
Old 02-20-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think calling this show junk is way too harsh. Is it all a bit transparent and thin like a card? Yes. That's part of the commentary, particularly about politics in this era.
Old 02-21-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I've only seen episode one, so:

Spoiler:

Isn't it pretty fucking stupid to send those nude pics of Zooey to Janine?Sure it works as a threat but that seems to be just handing over evidence.
Old 02-21-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched all of season two. My guess for season three:

Spoiler:
Frank's downfall. You get the rise, the summit, then the fall
Old 02-21-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
I've watched all of season two. My guess for season three:

Spoiler:
Frank's downfall. You get the rise, the summit, then the fall
I'm thinking the same thing.
Old 02-21-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

The three Michael Dobbs books with FU as the central figure are titled "House of Cards", "To Play the King", and "The Final Cut". The first two seasons covered the first two books. There should be enough materials for a third and possibly fourth season, assuming Netflix and the talent involved are all on board to bring it to a conclusion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.