DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Big Bang Theory - "The Convention Conundrum" - 1/30/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/617652-big-bang-theory-convention-conundrum-1-30-14-a.html)

dex14 01-30-14 06:59 AM

The Big Bang Theory - "The Convention Conundrum" - 1/30/14

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...93317412_n.jpg

THE GUYS MOCK SHELDON FOR TRYING TO HOLD HIS OWN COMIC BOOK CONVENTION UNTIL HE LANDS A MAJOR GUEST CELEBRITY, ON "THE BIG BANG THEORY" THURSDAY, JAN. 30

James Earl Jones Guest Stars; Cameo Appearance by Carrie Fisher

"The Convention Conundrum" - After the guys can't get Comic-Con tickets, Sheldon tries to hold his own convention and winds up spending a wild night with James Earl Jones. Meanwhile, the girls see if they can act like "grown-ups," on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Jan. 30 (8:00 - 8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. James Earl Jones and Carrie Fisher appear as themselves.

TheKing 01-30-14 07:31 AM

Re: The Big Bang Theory - "The Convention Conundrum" - 1/30/14

Wow, Vader AND Leia!

Timber 01-30-14 07:57 PM

James Earl Jones was great and Fisher was scary looking.

Anything outside of Jones fell flat for me unfortunately.

Double_Oh_7 01-30-14 08:45 PM

I predict this will the show's highest rated episode yet. Not that it was all that good, just because the show's on a roll.

Charlie Goose 01-30-14 10:28 PM

More stunt casting for the show, but at least this didn't end up in a restraining order for Sheldon.

"Let me guess, YOU LIKE STAR WARS!"

Apparently, Penny mooches off of her female friends too.

madcougar 01-30-14 10:42 PM

This entire episode was a HUGE miss for me. Perhaps one of the worst ever.

fumanstan 01-30-14 10:47 PM

Enjoyed James Earl Jones, but otherwise not very good.

astrochimp 01-30-14 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 11995449)
This entire episode was a HUGE miss for me. Perhaps one of the worst ever.

Yep. I've got to the point with BBT where I don't care anymore if I miss it.

hanshotfirst1138 01-30-14 11:08 PM

"You know I've been in other movies too!"

Apparently he used to do a tremendous Othello on stage as well.

Jackskeleton 01-31-14 02:48 AM

I'm glad I'm not as jaded as the rest of you. I loved that episode. A silly wild James Earl Jones made it for me.

And perhaps I can relate to the buying of comic con tickets via a scalper a bit more than most. One year I had to get them from some coked out dude who probably stole the comp passes from his dad and was looking to make some cash for a hit....

yeah, SDCC is some serious business.

Raul3 01-31-14 08:12 AM

I loved it too.

I was expecting that Sheldon was imagining the whole thing with JEJ, though.

madcougar 01-31-14 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton (Post 11995622)
I'm glad I'm not as jaded as the rest of you. I loved that episode. A silly wild James Earl Jones made it for me.

I'm not clear how not thinking this episode was funny makes one "jaded." I zap old episodes off of TBS (about 20 a week it seems) and watch them over and over, so it's not like I'm comparing THIS episode to my memory of other episodes. The show works better when all four of the guys interact with each other. The stuff with the girls is always hit and miss.

MScottM 01-31-14 09:17 AM

I LOVED the whole JEJ thing. He was fantastic. And the fact that he made Sheldon uncomfortable was great. Didn't care much for the girls side of the show.

SpanishTechno 01-31-14 11:19 AM

James Earl Jones was awesome and was more than enough to carry the episode.

So is the gang going to Comic Con now or was this just a one-off episode?

Paff 01-31-14 11:23 AM

Yeah, the James Earl Jones stuff was great. I laughed out loud several times, him playing against type. I knew he was going to be in the episode, but I was not expecting him to geek out with Sheldon over Star Wars. Also, I had no idea Carrie Fisher was in the ep, so the ding-dong-dash bit was hilarious. Especially Sheldon, who was torn between pranking her vs. meeting Princess Leia.

I also dug the Comic Con bit, even if they didn't get the registration process right (you don't have to click "refresh" over and over again. You get in the queue immediately. In fact, hitting refresh sends you to the back of the queue again). But I've been there when only Thursday and Sunday passes were left. It used to be you could get a 4-day badge any time you wanted, and I'm not talking about "the old days" like the 70s when it first started up, this is the mid 2000s. So I can totally identify with how it feels to be a long-time attendee who suddenly can't get a pass. It's pretty devastating.

Double_Oh_7 01-31-14 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 11995946)
I also dug the Comic Con bit, even if they didn't get the registration process right (you don't have to click "refresh" over and over again. You get in the queue immediately. In fact, hitting refresh sends you to the back of the queue again).

You DO have to refresh to get into the waiting room, it's not automatic. With everyone logging in at once, the CC site takes forever to respond. However, It IS true that once you get into the waiting room, refreshing puts you in the back of the line.

Quatermass 01-31-14 03:40 PM

As soon as they mentioned Carrie Fisher's name, when Sheldon was at the whiteboard, I had a feeling she would show up at some point. She was great on "30 Rock" a few years ago. I didn't realize Comic Con was so hard to get into. I thought you just showed up and bought a ticket at the door.

Red Dog 01-31-14 04:13 PM

Loved JEJ.

VHS? 01-31-14 04:27 PM

This episode almost felt like a SDCC PSA ;)

Coral 01-31-14 07:27 PM

Not terrible, but not great. JEJ was great. I thought we were going to see yet another restraining order situation with a celeb, but it was a nice change of pace to have the celeb enjoy Sheldon's company.

JimRochester 02-01-14 09:59 AM

I loved it. Just shocked at how bad Carrie Fisher looked. I know she's had some mental problems as well as a bout with alcohol. She's the poster child for what drink can do to your looks

Kdogg 02-01-14 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 11997028)
I loved it. Just shocked at how bad Carrie Fisher looked. I know she's had some mental problems as well as a bout with alcohol. She's the poster child for what drink can do to your looks

Part of it might be that she's playing a women that was woken up in the middle of the night.

Michael Corvin 02-01-14 02:04 PM

Loved JEJ but not much else. The ding-dong dash (is that really what it's called?) was priceless.

VHS? 02-01-14 02:52 PM

Doorbell ditch is what we called it.

fumanstan 02-01-14 02:55 PM

Ding Dong Ditch :sad: