TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Horror Story: Coven -- Season Finale -- "The Seven Wonders" -- 1/29/14

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
American Horror Story: Coven -- Season Finale -- "The Seven Wonders" -- 1/29/14

Synopsis:

SEASON FINALE - Chapter 13 / Production #313 - "The Seven Wonders" (Airs January 29, 10:00pm e/p) - A new Supreme rises. Written by Douglas Petrie; directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon.

Episode 13/13

Runs 71 minutes. You may have DVR conflicts depending if you're recording something afterwards.
Old 01-29-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: American Horror Story: Coven -- Season Finale -- "The Seven Wonders" -- 1/29/14

While the show is opening, I'm gonna toss this out there. I hope I'm not alone here.

Ever since this show started back at season one, does Lily Rabe remind ANYONE else of Julia Duffy, most notably from the Newhart TV show from the 80s (she played the inn maid, Stephanie Vanderkellen)? Ever since this show started I have felt like they went back in time and brought Julia Duffy to present day to play these new roles.
Old 01-29-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: American Horror Story: Coven -- Season Finale -- "The Seven Wonders" -- 1/29/14

This has just been awful, lol.
Old 01-29-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

My DVR froze on the last five minutes. I have it set to record again and I hope it works the second time.
Old 01-29-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Thought it was terrible. Disappointing end to a meh season...
Old 01-29-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

That was really really bad.
Old 01-29-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Shame on me for not remembering that Fleetwood Mac had a song called "Seven Wonders". Did anyone else notice that before tonight? I wonder if they came up with the Seven Wonders from the song or just lucked into it, probably the former.

I thought it was a decent end for the season, maybe my expectations have gotten too low.

Did anyone else think when Fiona woke up she was (AHS:Asylum spoiler)
Spoiler:
in the same room/bed as where she died in the Asylum season?

Can they please give Denis O'hare one of the lead roles next season?
Old 01-29-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

This was my first season of AHS.

Some interesting ideas, but the thing was all over the fucking place. There was very little focus -- I don't know how they managed it, but it seems like they were trying to expand about six episodes of story into thirteen episodes AND decompress about twenty-four episodes into thirteen at the same time. You had characters being killed off in one episode, and then resurrected in the next one... I think most of the characters died at some point. One of them was blinded and regained her sight twice.

There really wasn't anyone to root for. Pretty much every single character was a horrible, deceitful, mean-spirited, selfish, back-stabbing shitheel. And the characters who weren't monsters... pretty much Misty and Zoe... just sort of blended into the background most of the time.
Old 01-30-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

A terrible end, this finale felt like a piece of fan fiction. I guess that last act was all about Jessica Lange mugging for an Emmy nomination.

I enjoyed most of this season but the story and its characters all fell apart in the last two or three episodes.
Old 01-30-14, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

"BELINCIAGA!!!!"

Yeah, a fairly bland and predictable finale. It had it's moments, just like all the other episodes... but this was definitely the least satisfying season for me. Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates were welcome additions to the cast and they both made the most of what they had. Wonder if the producers can get either of them back next season?

While not intended, I did find the bit with Misty repeatedly cutting open the frog kind of funny. Lily Rabe was bringing serious anguish to that scene, which made me chuckle all the more. And vain, selfish Fiona who was so fearful of aging... her idea of hell was living in a knotty pine shack with Axeman? Surely there were more creative alternatives the writers could have cooked up for her eternal damnation.

Last edited by joe_b; 01-30-14 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn't a fan of this season, just never came together for me. And the finale was even worse. I mean how does a show manage to make a finale feel like filler? There were flashes of a decent story there for the season, but it seemed like every time they had a shot at a cool story, they chose another direction. Hell, it felt like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, but they always made the lame choice.
Old 01-30-14, 08:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't hate it, but it was definitely the tamest finale the show has done so far. I think in the future they need to focus their ideas a bit better... all three seasons have suffered from being a bit too 'all over the place'. This one was doing fairly well for half a season but still managed to go off the rails (somewhere around the time they brought Madison back).

Originally Posted by joe_b
And vain, selfish Fiona who was so fearful of aging... her idea of hell was living in a knotty pine shack with Axeman? Surely there were more creative alternatives the writers could have cooked up for her eternal damnation.
I think it was less about aging and more that 1) this existence was mundane and 2) she was powerless (Axeman hits her and she can't do a damn thing about it). This was a woman who spent her whole life living in excess and abusing her power, so in this regard I thought it was fairly appropriate.
Old 01-30-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

For me personally Asylum > Murder House > Coven. I was surprised by the ending of the swamp witch though, that was cool.

The season wasn't necessarily bad but compared to previous ones it felt quite a bit off. There is an interview with Ryan Murphy on EW right now where he says that they have season 4 & 5 mapped out with season 4 being very gothic. I hope the creeper factor returns.
Old 01-30-14, 09:54 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Good ol' Ryan Murphy. First few are good and rest is utter crap.
Old 01-30-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange to watch it with a group of folks who loved it, talk to folks at work who loved it, only to come here and find out it sucked. Damn it.

I did miss Fiona for most of the episode though. I like mostly all the characters, but she was my favorite.

I enjoyed the finale and it was my favorite season so far (and I enjoyed all of them). I am going to miss these characters so much and I kind of wish we could see what happens with the school now.

Originally Posted by windom
Snip
Can they please give Denis O'hare one of the lead roles next season?
Yes please!
Old 01-30-14, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This was my first season of AHS.

Some interesting ideas, but the thing was all over the fucking place. There was very little focus...
Ha; this was pretty much the most structured season.

Very flat ending -- but I should have felt it coming with last week's episode being flat in trying to tie things together.

There were times I felt I should be fast-forwarding through the episode as season plot points were being regurgitated (death, resurrection, repeat).

About the only thing positive was the faux Fleetwood Mac music video at the beginning... Made me miss the days of MTV and cheesy videos of the 80s.
Old 01-30-14, 12:19 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Coven was interesting in that in many ways it had the strongest start of any season as it seemed focused and interesting. It also had by far the worst ending. I think one thing is clear from all the seasons is that they would probably be better served with less episodes each season so they could have a tighter narrative. They have good high level concepts but struggle to stretch that over a full season. What a dream job for Jessica Lange though.
Old 01-30-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Good ol' Ryan Murphy. First few are good and rest is utter crap.
That is largely how I view all his shows. This was no exception. Even AHS's first season, the most coherent, had some problems near the end of its run.
Old 01-30-14, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They went with a safe, predictable, "happy" ending... except for Misty being trapped in Hell forever, which was a horrific fate for such a sweet character.

Gawker had an analysis I thought was pretty spot on: The American Horror Story: Coven Finale Was Bullshit
Old 01-30-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

My biggest complaint is that the bulk of the episode was like the finale of a reality competition show. Was surprised it wasn't Jeff Probst hosting the Seven Wonders competition instead of Myrtle.

I do think that the Fleetwood Mac opening was inspired, and among the season's highlights. It would have been even better had there not been the Stevie Nicks appearance earlier, and just had her show up at the finale to lip synch Seven Wonders. I would have been floored by that.
Old 01-30-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, why the obvious dig at the NBC production of The Sound of Music? Is there a creator connection? I checked Emma Roberts' IMDb page, and she never played Liesl, so it's not an inside joke with her.
Old 01-30-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obvious dig was obvious. While that live TSOM was pretty much an abortion, I would hope they'd avoid topical humor like that. Why not a Grumpy Cat shout-out? Or Gagnam Style? Eesh...

Did not like the 80s Music Video opening. It felt entirely too meta (which was the point) and uncomfortably out-of-place (which probably wasn't). The silent film reel they did last week was much more effective. Plus there's better Fleetwood Mac songs, although the song they chose was fitting if cheeseball.

The more I think about the episode, the worse it gets.
Old 01-30-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was ok with the choice of Seven Wonders, as it was obviously topical (too obvious, but that's ok. Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, it's pretty clear they chose the Supreme test to be called The Seven Wonders just to work that music video gimmick in). I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan. I was just glad they didn't use overplayed songs like Dreams, Landslide, Rhiannon, or The Chain. Personally, the few FM songs I like usually have Lindsay Buckingham and/or Christine McVie as lead voice. I'm talking about stuff like Hold Me, Second Hand News, or I Don't Want to Know (which I think was Nicks and Buckingham, right?)
Old 01-30-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Actually, Ryan Murphy said that he didn't realize there was an FM song called "Seven Wonders" when they were writing about it. Stevie Nicks actually reminded him that there was such a song after she heard them talking about it.
Old 01-30-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No shit? That makes it a lot cooler. Still a lackluster finale.

Although after such a great coincidence, how funny would it have been had Seven Wonders not been a song which Stevie did the lead voice on?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.