Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Rake (FOX) Season 1 Thread - S: Greg Kinnear

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-23-14, 01:51 PM

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,382 Posts

**SERIES PREMIERE**--"RAKE"-- (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) CC-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

GREG KINNEAR MAKES BROADCAST TELEVISION SERIES DEBUT IN THE PREMIERE OF "RAKE" THURSDAY, JANUARY 23, ON FOX

Series Premiere Directed By Sam Raimi ("Spider-Man" franchise); Executive Producers Include Creator Peter Duncan ("Rake"), Peter Tolan ("Rescue Me"), Michael Wimer ("2012")

Academy Award nominee and Emmy Award winner Greg Kinnear makes his broadcast television series debut as KEEGAN DEANE, a brilliant criminal defense attorney whose chaotic and self-destructive personal life often gets in the way of his professional one. In the series premiere, as payment for a late night poker win, Keegan agrees to enter a guilty plea for confessed serial killer JACK TARRANT (guest star Peter Stormare), expecting to garner a quick burst of publicity for himself off of the case. When Tarrant accuses Los Angeles Chief of Police BERNIE MICHAELS (guest star Bill Smitrovich) of writing all of his confessional testimonies for him, it is up to Keegan to figure out which party is telling the truth, pitting Keegan against the Mayor of Los Angeles, a situation with serious repercussions, personally and professionally. Meanwhile, Keegan receives payment from a client in the form of a Pacific Bluefin tuna worth 15 thousand dollars. All he has to do is get the fish to a local sushi restaurant and have them pay him so he can then pay his bookie a portion of his gambling debt in the "Serial Killer" Series Premiere episode of RAKE airing Thursday, Jan. 23 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (RAK-102) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)

Cast: Greg Kinnear as Keegan Deane; Mirando Otto as Maddy Deane; John Ortiz as Ben Leon; Necar Zadegan as Scarlet Leon; Bojana Novakovic as Melissa "Mikki" Partridge; Tara Summers as Leanne Zander; David Harbour as David Potter; Ian Colletti as Finn Deane.

Guest Cast: Peter Stormare as Jack Tarrant; Omar J. Dorsey as Roy; Anthony Emjay as Adam Leon; Lauren Sanchez as News Anchor; Michael Yavnieli as Officer; Lorna Raver as Judge; Bill Smitrovich as Chief Bernie Michaels; Damon Gupton as Marcus Barzmann; Greta Van Susteren as herself; Eddie Diaz as Luke Torres; David Pevsner as Wayne; Nicholas Bechtel as Max Leon; Jenna Ortega as Zoe Leon
13 episode season

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZIf6MgnY9_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure how many eyes this show will get, so we're going to stick to a season thread for now. Pilot directed by Sam Raimi.

I will check out the pilot... but I don't know if its something I'd stick with.
Old 01-23-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
Re: Rake (FOX) Season 1 Thread - S: Greg Kinnear

I am going to check it out. It looks quirky enough to be fun.
Old 01-23-14, 02:11 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I too don't know what quite to expect, but plan on tuning in. Looks like a decent vehicle for Kinnear based on the previews I've seen. Didn't know Raimi directed the pilot and I see John Ortiz is part of the supporting cast. Maybe Michael Mann will direct a future ep.
Old 01-23-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 229 Likes on 185 Posts

I've mentioned it before. Check out the original.
Old 01-23-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks fun, so that probably means a cancellation before the end of the month, right?
Old 01-23-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Given that the Australian original is one of my favorite shows of this century (after Mad Men and Breaking Bad), this remake was... actually better than I thought it would be. It still has way too much of the "sanitized for US broadcast TV" vibe, though. Given all the drinking, whoring and drug use in the original series, I think it'd fare much better on HBO or Showtime. And although I'm one of the 17 people in the US who actually likes Greg Kinnear, he just can't hold a candle to Richard Roxburgh's Cleaver Greene. I guess that's not a problem, since I've never met anyone else who's seen the original.

I have several thoughts about the pilot, but they might be spoilery, so I'll keep them to myself.
Old 01-24-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a head's up, this was not the pilot. Fox is doing their "Let's air shows out of order because that will make it better" routine. The pilot will air later.
Old 01-24-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 316 Posts

I think Kinnear is actually one of the better actors working in Hollywood, but this cast and show did nothing for me. This is basically a weekly legal procedural with quirky and weird elements.
Old 01-24-14, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
This is basically a weekly legal procedural with quirky and weird elements.
Well yeah... what else were you expecting? The thing is, Richard Roxburgh's Cleaver Greene is a horrible person, but you can't help but like him. He's a complete fuck-up, but is endearing... like a dog that always makes some kind of giant mess, but you can't help but love. I'm just not getting that vibe from Kinnear.

I'm also worried that Fox won't show him drinking and drugging nearly as much as the original. Part of what made the original so great was that Greene would show up somewhere uninvited, either completely sloshed on booze or tweaked up on blow, and you'd almost get giddy knowing the sarcastic exchanges that were to come. And I'm thinking that most of that dialogue wouldn't pass muster on US broadcast TV. For example, in one episode Greene shows up drunk at a kid's birthday party, and gets into a drunken discussion (with a clown hired for the party) about women and politics:

GREENE: "You want the truth? Right-wing chicks are hot! I'm tired of those left-wing chicks and you know why that is? Because right-wing chicks are aggressively carnivorous, self-reliant, Ayn Rand acolytes who understand the value of the moment. They get that sex is something in and of itself, beholden to nothing, and as a consequence of that understanding, they're less inhibited and therefore hornier. Left-wing chicks, on the other hand, they're vegans who want a holistic experience. They're all about context. They talk about an orgasm like it's a pet spaniel. And so consequently the moment's ruined... and THIS, Mr. Clown, is the REAL reason why the Left has cocked it... because the Right is busy procreating, while the Left is grooming a dead dog."

PARTY CLOWN: "My mother... was a Communist..."

GREENE: "Oh, so you're adopted?"
Or this exchange between Greene and his teenage son, who is taking a legal studies class:

SON: "Legal studies... 'Herewith"... 'Forthwith'... 'Pertaining to, but not inclusive of'... This is how people control us, isn't it? Make it all so mysterious the rest of us don't understand..."

GREENE: "Yes, it's why law and religion were in Latin for centuries, but then they realized they could make English just as incomprehensible."
Or, something said to his ex mother-in-law:

GREENE: "Did you ever get those pamphlets I sent you on euthanasia?’"
Or, one of my all-time favorite lines from the series:

GREENE: "This economic climate is turning every decent bender in this town into a reptile. First my bookie, now my brothel keeper. 12,000 years I've been coming to this place. You think I would have accrued some frequent fucker points by now."
I don't see anything like that from the Fox series... and not just because of the language. I detect a big "lack of clever" in the US version.
Old 01-24-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen the show, but two thoughts:

1) I get vibes of "Shameless" reading Rex's post.
2) "Did you get those pamphlets I sent you on euthanasia?" is an instant classic.
Old 01-24-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by collven View Post
Just a head's up, this was not the pilot. Fox is doing their "Let's air shows out of order because that will make it better" routine. The pilot will air later.
Are you fucking kidding me?

I'll just let it sit on the DVR then. I can't stand this shit. I didn't even bother with After Human because of that. When has that model worked?
Old 01-24-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

almost human. and you are doing yourself a disservice by not watching that show. it is great.
Old 01-24-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the show and had fairly high expectations. I like Kinnear. But this show didn't work for me. If he is supposed to be a "lovable" anti-hero it didn't work. All i saw was an asshole. I find it truly hard to believe that his brother would put up with him and no way would his sister-in-law. Was it supposed to be funny that he borrowed the car without a license? And that he had his niece and nephew and a couple of neighbor children taken into child protective services? And all he had to say about it was that the mother should have answered her phone?

Absent minded people are one thing and you can get some comedy out of them. Irresponsible people and people that care about no one but themselves are not worth the air they breath.

I might give it one more shot in hopes of finding something funny with it.
Old 01-24-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Got a 1.7 out of AI (3.3). No reason to watch it, this show is dead.
Old 01-24-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 482 Likes on 386 Posts

The sad part being, that's both a solid rating and passable retention ( > 50% ) for Fox right now (higher than any of their Tuesday night comedies in the demo, though lower than Sunday night).

2.0 used to be bubble to guaranteed cancellation, now it's almost like a lock renewal.

Don't get me wrong, this will probably drop like a rock in a week unless it catches on big (They had a bubble show on the network a few years back that was saved by American Idol, think it was called House, that likely won't be happening here).

Last edited by RichC2; 01-24-14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 12:36 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I planned to watch for Raimi alone (was hoping Bruce Campbell would pop up or something). But yeah, this doesn't seem to be generating a lot of buzz. Not surprised about the less than stellar ratings.
Old 01-24-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't watch this and have no desire. The ads didn't even really communicate to me what the show was about. Wasn't there any character exposition to say this guy is messed up, but good at his job?

Based on Rex's post:
1) the original sounds interesting
2) this sounds like House, but as a lawyer and not a doctor
Old 01-24-14, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM View Post
I watched the show and had fairly high expectations. I like Kinnear. But this show didn't work for me. If he is supposed to be a "lovable" anti-hero it didn't work. All i saw was an asshole. I find it truly hard to believe that his brother would put up with him and no way would his sister-in-law.
This was my opinion too. Also, I doubt they would allow a capital murder trial where the prosecutor and defense attorney are related and living in the same house.
Old 01-24-14, 05:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
2) this sounds like House, but as a lawyer and not a doctor
I didn't watch this, but I do remember some promo or print advert saying "This is the Dr. House of Law" (It may have been an Entertainment Weekly blurb)

I thought that sounded interesting, but if the ratings are low then this is gone!
Old 01-24-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 229 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Well yeah... what else were you expecting? The thing is, Richard Roxburgh's Cleaver Greene is a horrible person, but you can't help but like him. He's a complete fuck-up, but is endearing... like a dog that always makes some kind of giant mess, but you can't help but love. I'm just not getting that vibe from Kinnear.

I'm also worried that Fox won't show him drinking and drugging nearly as much as the original. Part of what made the original so great was that Greene would show up somewhere uninvited, either completely sloshed on booze or tweaked up on blow, and you'd almost get giddy knowing the sarcastic exchanges that were to come. And I'm thinking that most of that dialogue wouldn't pass muster on US broadcast TV. For example, in one episode Greene shows up drunk at a kid's birthday party, and gets into a drunken discussion (with a clown hired for the party) about women and politics:

Or this exchange between Greene and his teenage son, who is taking a legal studies class:

Or, something said to his ex mother-in-law:

Or, one of my all-time favorite lines from the series:

I don't see anything like that from the Fox series... and not just because of the language. I detect a big "lack of clever" in the US version.
Agree 100%. It's exactly what I feared when I first heard this being adapted for US TV, particularly broadcast TV -- no way they would go as far as the Aussie version when it comes to his vices/behavior, not to mention the cleverness. They just can't. And without that, the show is simply boring and forgettable.
Old 01-24-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 127 Posts

I like the first aired ep. The early ads did call this House as a lawyer.

Also why is it called Rake?
Old 01-25-14, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I like the first aired ep. The early ads did call this House as a lawyer.

Also why is it called Rake?
Rake is an old term for a drunk asshole.
Old 01-25-14, 12:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it was pretty good
Old 01-25-14, 03:48 PM

I give it a big meh. Just watch the original. I hate remakes. Same with HBO's version of Getting On. Watch the original!
Old 01-25-14, 04:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the original.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.