DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Modern Family - "Under Pressure" - 1/15/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/617134-modern-family-under-pressure-1-15-14-a.html)

dex14 01-15-14 07:55 AM

Modern Family - "Under Pressure" - 1/15/14

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...21889098_n.jpg

"Under Pressure" - The high school open house puts the parents in a bit of a time warp when Claire finds herself stressed out by all the pressure, Gloria encounters a "mean girl" mom (guest star Jane Krakowski) and Jay teaches Phil how to play a little hookie. Elsewhere, Mitchell gets defensive when he encounters his judgemental, environmentalist neighbor (guest star Jesse Eisenberg) and Alex goes to see a therapist (guest star John Benjamin Hickey), on "Modern Family," WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 15 (9:00-9:31 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

JimRochester 01-15-14 08:33 PM

Re: Modern Family - "Under Pressure" - 1/15/14

That was truly horrible. Make poor Alex see a shrink. There's so much humor in depression.

RocShemp 01-15-14 10:45 PM

I actually really enjoyed this episode a whole heck of a lot. I felt it made up for last week's crappy episode and I felt the storyline with Alex was very poignant. It reminded me of when the show hit its stride and could actually mix touching elements with humorous storylines.

Strafe 01-15-14 10:47 PM

For your Emmy consideration...

I enjoyed it too. Felt like a different show for a while there.

SpanishTechno 01-15-14 11:24 PM

Hilarious episode, I didn't think Modern Family could still be this funny. I laughed out loud hard several times. Good use of guest stars too.

And for a welcome change I really liked Mitch and Cam's stories this episode, they need to split them up more often.

The Alex stuff felt odd compared to the usual tone of the show but I thought they handled it well.

TheKing 01-16-14 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 11978949)
That was truly horrible. Make poor Alex see a shrink. There's so much humor in depression.

I'm glad they went there. If for no other reason than the fact that I was a lot like Alex at that age, so I can totally understand it. Not that a shrink would have helped me all that much...

But the rest of the episode was hilarious.

Evan Meadow 01-16-14 05:38 AM

I thought the whole sequence with Alex was also some sort of meta comment on the situation with her mother.

DRG 01-16-14 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11979077)
I actually really enjoyed this episode a whole heck of a lot. I felt it made up for last week's crappy episode and I felt the storyline with Alex was very poignant. It reminded me of when the show hit its stride and could actually mix touching elements with humorous storylines.

Yeah, this was my favorite episode in a while. It was nice to see them break away from the silly antics for a few minutes (and the silly antics were better for it).

JuryDuty 01-16-14 10:54 AM

It did feel like a different show for a while, but it was a good episode. Hope they continue to go in this direction.

robin2099 01-16-14 05:30 PM

I hated the Alex intro because it just seemed over the top. The rest of it I liked though.

Goat3001 01-16-14 06:20 PM

They finally put together a solid story that worked for awkward teen Manny and Luke. They should pair them together more.

"I'm not proud about what happened next."
"I am!"

:lol:

Canis Firebrand 01-16-14 06:36 PM

But it did give a funny line to Phil... "She's like a self-cleaning oven." :lol:

movieking 01-17-14 12:32 PM

Wasn't that a CFL game Jay was trying to watch? Can't remember offhand, but looked like the Argos and Alouettes maybe? Or am I losing it?

Deftones 01-17-14 12:42 PM

Probably was a CFL game. It is super expensive to license NFL or even college games. They probably just got whatever was cheapest.

Coral 01-17-14 05:48 PM

Yea, it was an Argos/Alouettes game. A couple other episodes Jay was watching a Hamilton Ti-Cat game.

Funny episode, and I liked the Alex stuff - it was a nice change of pace.

Luke: You gotta switch with me
Manny: We can't do that
Luke: They're twins - they'll never notice
Manny : You realize we're not twins, right?

windom 01-17-14 08:21 PM

No montage sequence featuring the Queen/Bowie song? Automatic fail.

Michael Corvin 01-17-14 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand (Post 11980380)
But it did give a funny line to Phil... "She's like a self-cleaning oven." :lol:

:up: Don't agree with Alex in therapy but that line was gold. It brought no laughs and felt like a real therapy session. Do not want.

Loved Jay turning on Phil with the flask.

Phil - "We can't go in there, we're not teachers."
Jay - "You're a teacher. Right now you're teaching me how to be a little bitch."
rotfl

The Jesse Eisenberg cameo was weird but I liked it.

majorjoe23 01-17-14 11:25 PM

What was Mitchell's line of thinking? "I'll leave the least responsible member of my family to clean up this mess while I got get the trophy that I need at this very moment, for some reason"?

Even for a sitcom character that seemed dumb.