DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Girls -- Season Premiere -- "Females Only/Truth or Dare" " -- 1/12/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/617059-girls-season-premiere-females-only-truth-dare-1-12-14-a.html)

DJariya 01-12-14 03:14 AM

Girls -- Season Premiere -- "Females Only/Truth or Dare" " -- 1/12/14

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/En...S_S3_FINAL.JPG

Synopsis:

Reeling after a nasty run-in with Natalia (Shiri Appleby) at Ray's (Alex Karpovsky) new coffee and pizza place, Hannah (Lena Dunham) and a reluctant Adam (Adam Driver) host dinner at their apartment with Marnie (Allison Williams), who is living at home in New Jersey and still raw from her breakup with Charlie, and Shoshanna (Zosia Mamet), who is alternating nights of sexual freedom with academia after her breakup with Ray. Meanwhile, Jessa (Jemima Kirke) pushes buttons, and new friend Jasper (Richard E. Grant) illuminates her daddy issues.

Written by Lena Dunham; directed by Lena Dunham.

Hannah, Shoshanna and Adam take a road trip to reunite with Jessa, leaving Marnie feeling left out as she moves into her own place. On the trip, Hannah looks futilely for writing inspiration in order to meet her editor's deadline.

Written by Jenni Konner; directed by Lena Dunham.

12 episode 3rd season

HBO renewed this for a 4th season last week

http://tvline.com/2014/01/09/girls-renewed-season-4/

Trailer:

<iframe src="http://www.hbo.com/data/content/global/videos/embed/data/1360010.html?height=480&width=640" height="480" width="640" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" frameborder="0" type="text/html"></iframe><div><a title="Season 3 Trailer #2" href="http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true&vid=1360010&filter=girls&view=null">Season 3 Trailer #2</a></div>

Decker 01-12-14 03:01 PM

Re: Girls -- Season Premiere -- "Females Only/Truth or Dare" " -- 1/12/14

Two episodes? Cool. Looking forward to True Detective, then this tonight.

Decker 01-12-14 03:07 PM

Also, this double episode will be put up on HBO's YouTube channel tomorrow morning.

IIG 01-13-14 12:28 AM

The first two episodes give me hope that the first season might be eclipsed. The pacing in these shows just worked, and I think the writing is fantastic. The actors know these characters like the back of their hands now. Really funny stuff.

bunkaroo 01-13-14 03:08 PM

On the fence about watching this. Really didn't like last season. Not sure how many more nude scenes of Dunham I can take.

dex14 01-13-14 03:15 PM

I liked the first episode a lot. Lots of LOL moments from Adam for me. Liked seeing Shiri Appleby again. Was that Amy Schumer playing her friend? She looks much larger than the last time I saw her on a CC roast.

boogieman03 01-13-14 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11976239)
I liked the first episode a lot. Lots of LOL moments from Adam for me. Liked seeing Shiri Appleby again. Was that Amy Schumer playing her friend? She looks much larger than the last time I saw her on a CC roast.

Yeah, that was her. Very funny scene. Couldn't stop laughing.

Decker 01-13-14 03:30 PM

"Spraying your jizz everywhere like confetti" is one of the funniest lines I've heard in a while. "I had to get a blowout!".

I liked the second episode more. The change-of-pace, out--of-town episodes are always very effective on this show. This one especially. Felt like an indie film. Liked the appearance of Taystee from Orange is the New Black as the newly-outed lesbian.
One Question : What the hell happened to the rocking chair? That's a really sloppy continuity error.

Decker 01-13-14 03:34 PM

Anyone else really confused by the writing of Adam's character? I know he's supposed to be enigmatic, but he's written like he's two different people -- sometimes he's so angry and self-absorbed and other times he's so thoughtful and sensitive. He doesn't seem like a real person at all -- it's just so wildly inconsistent. He's a really good supporting actor though.

It's annoying that the guy who played Charlie has bolted. I know people need to be free to do other projects if they want, but a large part of S2 is all this self-exploratory stuff with Marnie - trying to find herself and get along without the guy who she didn't know how much she needed until she dumped him, the conclusion of which was finally reuniting with Charlie. Now he's gone without even a single scene. That's sort of a waste of time.

BTW : Slutty Shoshana = :up:

starseed1981 01-13-14 03:40 PM

Adam was clearly the highlight in both episodes. That being said I'm starting to think this one has run it's course. At a certain point the characters just become whiny millennials and stop being funny. I'm sticking with it for now but if they curtail it like they did with the last half of season two ill be ditching my season pass. .....but I did watch Adam smash the dashboard with the Maroon 5 song three times.

DJariya 01-13-14 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11976263)
"Spraying your jizz everywhere like confetti" is one of the funniest lines I've heard in a while. "I had to get a blowout!".

:lol: I just saw the 1st episode. Loved that line. Adam is great.

:lol: at Jessa going down the fat black chick. I have to admit, the worst parts of the 1st episode were the rehab scenes with Jessa. I really dislike her character. I wanted to punch her every time she made a smartass remark.

It's amazing about Marnie. Such a hot girl from a good family, but her life is pretty pathetic.

smg669 01-13-14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 11976277)
At a certain point the characters just become whiny millennials and stop being funny.

I believe you are referring to 00;00;05;12 of s01e01. :rimshot:

madcougar 01-13-14 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 11976277)
Adam was clearly the highlight in both episodes. That being said I'm starting to think this one has run it's course. At a certain point the characters just become whiny millennials and stop being funny. I'm sticking with it for now but if they curtail it like they did with the last half of season two ill be ditching my season pass. .....but I did watch Adam smash the dashboard with the Maroon 5 song three times.

I caught the first few episodes of the first season during a HBO free weekend a year or so ago. The only reason I kept watching was Adam. That guy is nails.

lordwow 01-13-14 06:08 PM

Adam and Sosh's conversations are amazing.

musick 01-13-14 08:19 PM

I liked the first episode better than the second
was also wondering wtf happened to the rocking chair

also watched some of season 2 (which I missed) during this weekend's freeview and don't understand the hate from those who enjoyed season 1 ... some great character moments

mdc3000 01-13-14 08:42 PM

Great return to form with both of these eps - when this show works it really works. Dunham is capable of writing hilarious dialogue and mining some real quality moments from the cast - gives me hope the rest of the season will be as entertaining.

andicus 01-13-14 11:41 PM

Enjoyed these, also.

I wondered what was going to happen to the chair when they showed it was in the back seat with Hannah. I expected to see it tied to the roof when we had a long shot.

Taystee was a pleasant surprise, and nice to see Shiri again.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-14-14 07:07 AM

It looks like they will bring the funny again this season and hope no more scenes with Hannahs OCD.

The soundtrack is also top notch.

Decker 01-14-14 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 11976841)

The soundtrack is also top notch.

I'll be very disappointed if they don't use Vampire Weekend's "Hannah Hunt" sometime this season. Seems like the prefect music cue for the show.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lJCIhDQkqTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>