True Detective -- Series Premiere -- "The Long Bright Dark" -- 1/12/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-12-14, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Series Description (from the HBO site):

In 2012, Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart are brought in to revisit a homicide case they worked in 1995. As the inquiry unfolds in present day through separate interrogations, the two former detectives narrate the story of their investigation, reopening unhealed wounds, and drawing into question their supposed solving of a bizarre ritualistic murder in 1995. The timelines braid and converge in 2012 as each man is pulled back into a world they believed they'd left behind. In learning about each other and their killer, it becomes clear that darkness lives on both sides of the law.

Written and created by Nic Pizzolatto ('The Killing') and directed by Cary Fukunaga ('Sin Nombre,' 'Jane Eyre'), 'True Detective' stars Woody Harrelson as Martin Hart and Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle. The series also stars Michelle Monaghan (‘Mission: Impossible III') as Maggie, Hart's wife; Kevin Dunn ('Veep') as Major Quesada, the supervising officer in 1995; and Tory Kittles ('Sons of Anarchy') and Michael Potts ('The Wire') as Dets. Papania and Gilbough, the investigators now probing Hart and Cohle for answers.

Synopsis:

Former Louisiana State CID partners Martin Hart and Rustin Cohle give separate statements to a pair of investigators about the murder of a prostitute, Dora Lange, 17 years earlier. As they look back, details of the crime, replete with occult overtones, are accompanied by insights into the detectives' volatile partnership and personal lives.

Written by Nic Pizzolatto; directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga.

8 episodes ordered. It's been reported that this will be an anthology series and Harrelson/McConaughey would not return for a 2nd season. It would be a completely new story and new cast.

Trailer:

<iframe src="http://www.hbo.com/data/content/global/videos/embed/data/1360066.html?height=480&width=640" height="480" width="640" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" frameborder="0" type="text/html"></iframe>

I'm really stoked for this. It's gotten excellent reviews and has an A-list cast.
Old 01-12-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: True Detective -- Series Premiere -- "The Long Bright Dark" -- 1/12/14

Yeah, this looks fantastic. I'm in!
Old 01-12-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Alexandra Daddario nude! They are spectacular
Old 01-12-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

This looks amazing, series recording is already set for me. Probably my most anticipated new show of the year.
Old 01-12-14, 10:54 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

^ Same here. Appointment television for me tonight.
Old 01-12-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So psyched for this! Hopefully they upload it to HBOGo real quick.
Old 01-12-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the season anthology makes so much sense in this day and age. It lets us get better talent attached to TV AND keeps things fresh. I would guess the approach with this would be to focus on new detectives each season, which would open the door for a guest appearance by one of the principals from season 1 in season 3 or whatever if it serves the story.
Old 01-12-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not impressed with the first episode.
Old 01-12-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

First ep. dragged a bit , but really picked up after the first half. It has my interest, now it needs to maintain it.
Old 01-12-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Reasonably interesting but you can see the twist coming from a million miles away
Old 01-12-14, 11:23 PM

Surprised there was a little humor peppered in. Martin's looks at Rust when he starts philosophizing made me chuckle. Anyway, solid first episode I thought. The crime scene reminded me of something we'd see in Hannibal.
Old 01-13-14, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely a solid first episode, lived up to what I wanted it to be. I didn't really think it dragged at all, but then again I really love slow burn crime shows like this so I loved every minute. Harrelson was great as always and McConaughey was definitely interesting to watch as the offbeat Cole character. It seems like the twist could already have been set up that Cole has something to do with the murders but it almost seems too obvious to go that route. I can't wait for the next episode!!
Old 01-13-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Written and created by Nic Pizzolatto ('The Killing')

If The Killing is his primary credit, I can skip this show without a second thought.
Old 01-13-14, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

If The Killing is his primary credit, I can skip this show without a second thought.
This was infinitely better than The Killing ever was or will be. Seriously give it a watch if you're into crime dramas it's fantastic. Harrelson and McConaughey are both excellent.
Old 01-13-14, 01:24 AM

If it makes any difference, he's quoted as saying that the reason he left the show was because he didn't like where they were going with the story creatively...

Then again, I guess I'm the rare person that liked The Killing...
Old 01-13-14, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Liked the characters, especially Martin and Rust. I like the setup and the atmosphere of the show. But that first episode did drag a little. It was very dialogue heavy. Definitely has the feel of a slow burn series. Harrelson and McConaughey put in good performances.

I think the arc mixing the two time periods together with this murder mystery that Rust and Martin investigated has potential. Well it's only the first episode, we shall see how it goes.
Old 01-13-14, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I liked it and will stick with it. Pilot episodes are always tough because you have to setup the characters, the setting, the plot, so it usually takes 2-3 episodes for a show to really get going.

I will say with the plot of the show, is this a 'long-term show', or could this be a 'one season and then they don't know where to go from here' type show?

Anyway, its the only the cable show that I'm interested in for the winter, so I will stick with it through the first season.
Old 01-13-14, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really interesting for the characterizations. Agree with the "Hannibal" comparison re: the victim. The scenes in the car were hilarious.

This looks to be a slow burn, but with only 8 episodes, it's worth sticking with it. Hopefully, we'll be rewarded with a big payoff in the end.

BIG shout-out to T-Bone Burnett for the moody soundtrack. Aside from Ry Cooder or Daniel Lanois, can't think of anybody better suited for a swampy atmosphere.
Old 01-13-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I have no answers for those of you who thought the episode "dragged" - I thought it was one of the best pilots I've seen in a long, long time. This is NOT an action show - so those looking for that are going to be disappointed.

I agree that the twist seems far too obvious...
Spoiler:
Rust is the killer
...so I'm hoping that's just a red herring.
Old 01-13-14, 08:39 AM

The Killing is his primary TV credit. Pizzolatto got his initial recognition as a novelist. With only one book to his name (albeit a good one), he got tapped to assist with The Killing. He helped script a few episodes (wasn't a showrunner or anything). True Detective was actually supposed to be his next novel. Given his brief TV experience, he thought it might work better as a TV show and here we are. Pizzolatto acknowledges he's surprised (and incredibly lucky) to be given showrunner reigns w/so little TV experience.
Old 01-13-14, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I liked it and will stick with it. Pilot episodes are always tough because you have to setup the characters, the setting, the plot, so it usually takes 2-3 episodes for a show to really get going.

I will say with the plot of the show, is this a 'long-term show', or could this be a 'one season and then they don't know where to go from here' type show?

Anyway, its the only the cable show that I'm interested in for the winter, so I will stick with it through the first season.
I think they've already said without a doubt that this is a one-and-done story so much so that these characters wouldn't be the focus of a second season.
Old 01-13-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Too slow of a burn for me, but I might give it another try later.
Old 01-13-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't mind the pacing cause it was offset by some stellar performances. I didn't get the "twist' everyone is referring to though. It never crossed my mind that Rust was the killer.
Old 01-13-14, 11:38 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I didn't mind the pacing cause it was offset by some stellar performances. I didn't get the "twist' everyone is referring to though. It never crossed my mind that Rust was the killer.
It crossed my mind because the 2 present day detectives were flat out insinuating it. But it wasn't anything that I thought would be an actual twist.
Old 01-13-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86
This was infinitely better than The Killing ever was or will be. Seriously give it a watch if you're into crime dramas it's fantastic. Harrelson and McConaughey are both excellent.
This was exactly what I was hoping The Killing would be. Loved it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.