DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Breaking Bad - some Questions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/616073-breaking-bad-some-questions.html)

Original Desmond 12-18-13 07:26 AM

Breaking Bad - some Questions

Just finished watching Season 1 and 2

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 1 and 2

Please NO SPOILERS for Seasons 3 onwards

look i am enjoying the show but it's not the ultra super duper wooper plooper show that everyone seems to be raving about. I was expecting Sopranos/Game of Thrones type quality and it's not there in my eyes yet. So far in season 1 and 2, i felt it only came close to any of these other top shows with the Tuco storyline, but that ended pretty quick. Otherwise i felt it has been a bit drab for the most part with some good moments

So i just have two questions (and again please NO Season 3 onwards spoilers)

Are seasons 3, 4 and 5 significantly better than seasons 1 and 2 ?

Does Skylar the wife get less annoying (just a yes/no answer), i'm getting way too many Corinne from the Shield flashbacks with this b^tch

RichC2 12-18-13 07:58 AM

Re: Breaking Bad - some Questions

I had a good time with Season 1, thought Season 2 was a bit overrated and contrived. The second half of Season 3 is when the series really kicks into high gear, the first few episodes of Season 3 and Season 4 are slow but worth fighting through. There's an episode mid-way through Season 3 that sort of elevated the show to a whole new level from being "Hey this is pretty good" to "This is fucking fantastic.". Season 5 never slows down to breath.

And no, Skyler remains an obnoxious bitch throughout.

Rob V 12-18-13 08:28 AM

S3 is fantastic but S4 is my favorite.

Groucho 12-18-13 08:29 AM

I marathoned this show. I have no idea when seasons start or stop.

mphtrilogy 12-18-13 08:48 AM

yes

boogieman03 12-18-13 08:53 AM

Each season gets better than the previous one. I think it was at the end of Season 3 (or was it 4) where the show reached Elite status, at least for me.

Regarding Skyler: She's got her defenders, but yeah, most people don't like her.

bootsy 12-18-13 09:02 AM

If you haven't gotten it by now you probably won't. Every season is very good to great.

majorjoe23 12-18-13 09:08 AM

Three is where things get really strong. Judging from forum reaction, Skylurr never gets less annoying.

dex14 12-18-13 09:43 AM

Do not quit... you will appreciate everything once you watch it all. I repeat. Do. Not. Quit.

Each season just continues to build and does get better (not to say that it was each previous season is bad) with each season.

Skylar is annoying, but there comes a point when you start to sympathize with her.

Raul3 12-18-13 11:44 AM

The show gets EXPONENTIALLY better every season.

And to answer your yes/no question, I will guess it's rotund NO for you. And just wait until you watch "Crawl Space". :D

(BTW, that episode thread is bumped at least once a month in this forum.)

danfindlay 12-18-13 11:48 AM

I actually hated Skylar by the end. Season 4 and 5 are the best television I've ever watched. Season 3 is also fantastic. God Damned right.

JasonF 12-18-13 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11949196)
I marathoned this show. I have no idea when seasons start or stop.

If my experience is any indication, of the 62 episodes, the first 58 occur over the span of about 3 weeks as fast as possible then the last 4 drag out painfully slow one week at a time. But that could just be because I started watching when there were roughly 7 episodes left to air.

Jeremy517 12-18-13 11:58 AM

Another vote for seasons three and four being where it starts getting great.

taffer 12-18-13 12:03 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F8LDxoXKOh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fumanstan 12-18-13 12:17 PM

I felt the same way after watching Season 1 and 2, and got ridiculed a bit for it (thanks bootsy!) in the other "Does Breaking Bad ever get good?" thread that's here. I think it gets significantly better, Season 3 was good but I felt 4 and 5 is when it gets ridiculously awesome and great. Although Skyler gets more annoying.

DJariya 12-18-13 12:26 PM

Once Giancarlo Esposito joins the show in season 3, then the show truly takes off.

Original Desmond 12-18-13 12:56 PM

Thanks guys, i will stick with it !

Rob V 12-18-13 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11949522)
Once Giancarlo Esposito joins the show in season 3, then the show truly takes off.

This... especially when he and Walt visit Mexico.

JasonF 12-18-13 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 11949139)
Please NO SPOILERS for Seasons 3 onwards

Raul3 12-18-13 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 11949567)
Thanks guys, i will stick with it !

Don't come back to this thread. People go crazy about this show, and they will start talking about all the episodes in no time.

;)

Trelach24 12-18-13 04:22 PM

The show doesn't really take off until the time traveling aspect is revealed but I don't remember which season that is.

Groucho 12-18-13 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trelach24 (Post 11949780)
The show doesn't really take off until the time traveling aspect is revealed but I don't remember which season that is.

End of season 2, so you're good.

RichC2 12-18-13 04:25 PM

For the millionth time, it isn't time travel, it's a different timeline altogether, the darkest timeline.

Mike86 12-18-13 04:27 PM

Personally I was hooked by the middle of the first season. The first few episodes or so start a bit slow and the show is kind of finding itself but by the season one finale I loved the series. I think it got progressively better with each season.

Groucho 12-18-13 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11949785)
For the millionth time, it isn't time travel, it's a different timeline altogether, the darkest timeline.

Without getting too much into specifics about season 6, I think the solar flare revelation pretty much negates your theory.