DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Seasons 1 & 2 -- Channel 4 / Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/615927-black-mirror-british-anthology-series-seasons-1-2-channel-4-netflix.html)

Baron Of Hell 12-29-14 03:58 PM

re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Seasons 1 & 2 -- Channel 4 / Netflix

A incident on youtube reminded me of this show. After someone responded to my comment they blocked me and I was unable to respond. On the plus side now I know why sometimes why you will see a bunch of responses without context.

RichC2 12-29-14 04:12 PM

re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Seasons 1 & 2 -- Channel 4 / Netflix

My thoughts on the last part of White Christmas
Spoiler:
barring the ability to remove the device, I could see Jon Hamm's character eventually going on a killing spree from that shit.

Red Dog 12-30-14 04:22 PM

I didn't care for the Christmas one as much as most of the previous ones (though I liked the first story in it).

dex14 01-05-15 11:50 AM

Just watched the first season. Really enjoyed this overall. They are just so greatly constructed.

Thanks for the year old Netflix bump on this. Seeing this and a huge endorsement from James Gunn made me check it out.

In regards to Dead Set, I believe IFC aired it a few years back as well.

Trelach24 01-05-15 08:42 PM

I just watched the first three this past weekend. Judging from what I've read, the 6th episode is generally considered one of the weaker ones. Should I just watch that one next so I can save the best for last?

Pizza 01-05-15 08:54 PM

I didn't like the first episode. It felt desperate to shock and came off empty to me. I wasn't going to watch any more episodes until I read this thread. Maybe I'll give it one more go.

PacMan2006 01-05-15 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trelach24 (Post 12353598)
I just watched the first three this past weekend. Judging from what I've read, the 6th episode is generally considered one of the weaker ones. Should I just watch that one next so I can save the best for last?

In my opinion, yes. Just bang that one out and save the better ones for last, as the Waldo one is a big misfire, IMO.

Trelach24 01-05-15 11:12 PM

Thanks. I'll do that. I've heard good things about the other two.

mphtrilogy 01-06-15 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Trelach24 (Post 12353598)

Good plan, although it is a weaker ep, still very watchable.

mphtrilogy 01-06-15 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 12353614)
I didn't like the first episode. It felt desperate to shock and came off empty to me. I wasn't going to watch any more episodes until I read this thread. Maybe I'll give it one more go.

First ep is almost nothing like the rest of the eps, I loved Ep 2, see if it gets better for you.

d2cheer 01-06-15 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 12353614)

That is exactly how I felt.

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12353859)
First ep is almost nothing like the rest of the eps, I loved Ep 2, see if it gets better for you.

I started it but only made it a few minutes in. I will try again but this may just not be for me.

RichC2 01-06-15 10:08 AM

The first two episodes hit the extremes of the series: the first is absurdist, the second is somber and emotional (but imo the best episode of the show despite it having the slowest pacing and longest runtime).

The third and fourth episodes both revolve a single piece of technology. The fifth is straight out of the twilight zone. The sixth is a misfire. The Xmas special is quite entertaining.

wmansir 01-06-15 10:14 AM

Reading this thread for the first time and until this last page I thought I was going to be the only one who didn't like the first episode. I watched it a few weeks ago completely blind while checking out new shows and I just couldn't get into it. I watched the first half and then out of boredom FF though the rest to see how it ended.

dex14 01-30-15 10:50 AM

They are looking to do a US version of the show :(

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/blac...on-1201417799/

RichC2 01-30-15 10:55 AM

Cool :up:

Odds of it being good though are very low.

mphtrilogy 01-30-15 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12380863)
They are looking to do a US version of the show :(

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/blac...on-1201417799/

would be down for this if they do original different eps and not just knock off the excellent brit verisons...

RichC2 01-30-15 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12380881)
would be down for this if they do original different eps and not just knock off the excellent brit verisons...

Per the article:

"With the heat that “Black Mirror” generated simply from word of mouth on Netflix, a U.S. version was all but inevitable. “Mirror” creator Brooker has previously said he would be the showrunner on any U.S. series rendition. "

If Brooker is on board, I doubt it'd be repeats.

dex14 01-30-15 11:05 AM

That would be the only saving grace, IMO.

majorjoe23 01-30-15 11:25 AM

Saving grace? If he was showrunner for a Swahili version I'd be in. I can cope with a lack of accents (or addition of American accents, depending on where you are).

spainlinx0 01-30-15 11:47 AM

Here's my one nitpick with the Recall stuff. The camera is in your eyes so wouldn't it record all your blinking? I know for storytelling purposes they ignore it, but it always bugs me when they have these contact lens camera ideas in shows.

dex14 01-30-15 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12380935)
Saving grace? If he was showrunner for a Swahili version I'd be in. I can cope with a lack of accents (or addition of American accents, depending on where you are).

If he were the showrunner, yes.

Jadzia 01-30-15 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12380881)

Even if they did repeat the British ones, they would need a lot more new episodes to fill out an American season.

mphtrilogy 01-30-15 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia (Post 12381008)
Even if they did repeat the British ones, they would need a lot more new episodes to fill out an American season.

that is the key
if they want to make it a true americanized version we need 12 at least..

and I would be happy with a 3/4 quality level if we can get some more cool ideas for some episodes...

RichC2 01-30-15 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 12381042)
that is the key
if they want to make it a true americanized version we need 12 at least..

and I would be happy with a 3/4 quality level if we can get some more cool ideas for some episodes...

10 is actually quite regular now (Game of Thrones, Fargo, Bate's Motel) with 8 becoming acceptable (Thanks True Detective! and I'm betting that Fincher's Utopia remake is 8 eps as well)

Groucho 01-30-15 01:42 PM

Meh, they've already Americanized it by casting Jon Hamm in the Xmas Special.