DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Seasons 1 & 2 -- Channel 4 / Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/615927-black-mirror-british-anthology-series-seasons-1-2-channel-4-netflix.html)

Tarantino 03-30-13 09:38 AM

Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Seasons 1 & 2 -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Any fans of Black Mirror here? Hell, anyone heard of it?

It's a fantastic TV series from the UK that focuses on the possible horrors of technology. It runs one hour stand alone stories, all of which have been really good (produced and run by Charlie Brooker).

I thought the first series was pretty good, but so far, the second series has blown me away.

Here are some of the synopsis for a few of the episodes...

"In the near future, everyone has access to a memory implant that records everything they do, see and hear - a sort of Tivo for the brain. You need never forget a face again... but is that always a good thing?"

"Martha is devastated when her partner Ash is killed in a road accident on the day they move to a country cottage. At his funeral Martha's friend Sarah tells her of a new service that allows people to communicate with their deceased loved ones by using all their online communications and contributions."

Anyway, I heard about the show on a podcast, and I think it's amazing.

boredsilly 03-30-13 10:16 AM

Re: Black Mirror (TV series from the UK)

I borrowed these from my friend The Internet, but haven't watched them yet, but I'm really looking forward to diving into them. The series sounds great. What podcast suggested it to you?

Tarantino 03-30-13 02:14 PM

The guys on /Film were gushing over it a few months back, so I decided to check it out (although I don't usually agree with Dave Chen's recommendations, Devindra & Adam's tastes are very close to mine).

I think the first series was pretty good, but the second series has been amazing.

boredsilly 03-30-13 06:10 PM

Cool, that's where I heard about the show too. I've been catching up today, and while I enjoyed the first series, I only thought the episode about the Prime Minister was a stand out. The other two were ok. The ideas were cool, but they both felt like 25 minute ideas stretched out to fill an hour. But if the first ep of series 2 is any indicator, this show takes a giant leap in quality.

DJLinus 09-06-13 09:57 PM

I just watched the first episode of the first series, as it was discussed on this week's Extra Hot Great podcast. That was messed up. :lol:

Red Dog 12-11-13 07:39 PM

Black Mirror - British anthology series on DTV's Audience Network

Just watched the first episode, and all I can say is wow. rotfl

General synopsis:

The common thread that runs through all the episodes is that the stories revolve around various kinds of screens (the "Black Mirror" of the title) — computer monitors, TVs, smartphones. In the premiere, for instance, the plot is catalyzed by a YouTube clip of a kidnapped Princess Susannah (a Kate Middleton type) relaying her captor's demand: that the Prime Minister do something extremely indecent, with a very undesirable partner, on live TV.

Jay G. 12-12-13 09:20 AM

re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Seasons 1 & 2 -- Channel 4 / Netflix

I'd watch it, but I don't have DirectTV.

Giantrobo 12-11-14 06:01 PM

re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Seasons 1 & 2 -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Season 1 and 2 are on Netflix now.

Season 1 Ep 1.... WTF?!?!?!!?!? :eek::(:lol:

Red Dog 12-11-14 06:08 PM

Awesome, right? rotfl

edit: nobody paid attention to me when I started this thread.

Red Dog 12-11-14 06:10 PM

There's supposedly a X-Mas episode on DTV Audience Network on Christmas Day, starring Jon Hamm.

mphtrilogy 12-11-14 06:29 PM

Just finished watching all 6 eps, this show was awesome!

GoldenJCJ 12-12-14 12:12 AM

Caught the first two episodes tonight. Both were really enjoyable but the first one was warped as shit! :lol:

Why So Blu? 12-12-14 12:15 AM

I watched the first episode and I was like: this is one whacky game show! Fuck, I will be watching the rest of them!

mphtrilogy 12-12-14 07:12 AM

Here is a list of the Eps:

Episode 1 - The National Anthem
A political thriller in which fictional Prime Minister Michael Callow faces a huge and shocking dilemma when Princess Susannah, a much-loved member of the Royal Family, is kidnapped

Black Mirror: 15 Million Merits -Daniel Kaluuya, Julia Davis & Rupert Everett Episode 2 - 15 Million Merits
The second drama - set in a sarcastic version of a future reality - is a satire on entertainment shows and our insatiable thirst for distraction. Featuring Julia Davis and Rupert Everett.

Black Mirror: The Entire History of You - Tony Kebbell Episode 3 - The Entire History of You
In the near future, everyone has access to a memory implant that records everything they do, see and hear - a sort of Sky Plus for the brain

Series2
Episode 1 - Be Right Back
A darkly satirical film from Charlie Brooker exploring our modern reality. A young couple, Martha and Ash move to a remote cottage to start their new life together.

Episode 2 - White Bear
Victoria wakes up and cannot remember anything about her life. Everyone she encounters refuses to communicate with her and enjoys filming her discomfort on their phones.

Episode 3 - The Waldo Moment
An animated blue bear from children's TV and a satirical comedy show played by a failed comedian Jamie Salter, finds himself being entered into a political race

mphtrilogy 12-12-14 07:16 AM

My Faves:

Episode 1 - The National Anthem: Shocking and thought provoking 4/5

Black Mirror: 15 Million Merits: One of My Favorites, 5/5

Black Mirror: The Entire History of You - Another favorite, I think RobertDowneyJr has optioned this as a possible movie... 4/5

Series2
Episode 1 - Be Right Back: Loved the ending 4/5

Episode 2 - White Bear: Saw the ending coming, sort of, then I didn't 4/5

Episode 3 - The Waldo Moment: One of my least faves.. but stilll solid 3/5
A

Goat3001 12-12-14 08:19 AM

It took me months to get through the 6 episodes. Each one required so much thought and discussion that binge watching it would have been a crime.

I can't wait for the Christmas Special. This show is incredible.

Bill Needle 12-12-14 10:41 AM

This thread has worked. I've set the DVR to download these even though I'm still not quite sure what to make of the comments or what I'll be watching when I get to them.

PacMan2006 12-12-14 03:04 PM

Absolutely love this show. Not happy that Jon Hamm is starring in an upcoming episode. I think this show is better with lesser known talent. But we'll see.

RichC2 12-12-14 03:19 PM

This is now on Netflix for the rest of us.

Yeah, episode 2 of both seasons are the strongest episodes imho.

Waldo Moment is the weakest.

The Black Mirror: White Christmas episode is 90 minutes long and will air on the 16th in the UK (25th on DirecTV). Strong reviews so far.

As much as I get the "fewer episodes = higher quality" which is very true in this case as well, I would love a similar, 10 - 13 episode season series like this. Feels like the true heir to the Twilight Zone.

I want my own avatar room :(

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/imag...ll_2_569_0.png

mphtrilogy 12-12-14 04:13 PM

Make sure you watch past the first credits of white bear, there is some good bonus footage...

zoomgirl 12-12-14 05:22 PM

As much as I am loving the show (and I am) I feel so "heavy" after watching the episodes they are so thought provoking. I was going to watch the last two last night but decided I needed to watch something "lighter".
The Be Right Back episode truly messed with my mind!

majorjoe23 12-12-14 05:56 PM

When does the Christmas special air (and one what channel in the US)?

RichC2 12-12-14 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12332447)
When does the Christmas special air (and one what channel in the US)?

It's on DirecTV exclusively in the US, where it airs on Christmas Day.

Bill Needle 12-13-14 05:41 PM

Well OK then...just finished National Anthem.

:eek:

NORML54601 12-14-14 10:56 AM

Does anyone happen to know when the Xmas special will be on Netflix?