Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix) -- choose your own adventure episode

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Looking at the flow chart, I think I saw almost everything, there were a couple points where I had the choice of going to the end credits or having the chance to try another option. Of course, I didn't choose the former, who would if you are given a choice?
Old 12-31-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Yes, but only if...
Spoiler:
you don't follow Colin. If you follow Colin and opt not to take the drug, he slips it into Stefan's tea anyway

Weak as a Black Mirror episode but a lot of fun overall. In retrospect, I wish I
Spoiler:
kicked the dad in the balls
Old 01-01-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was supposed to be my big New Year's Eve movie for the wife and me.
I talked it up beforehand based upon the novelty of the approach and as a confirmed fan of the series.
After 20 minutes in, I realized I didn't give a rat's ass about the characters or what might happen to them one wit.
Dumped it and moved on...
Old 01-02-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

The concept was cool but I found the story to be lame.
Old 01-02-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The concept was cool but I found the story to be lame.
This was my reaction.

My wife got me the book Inside Black Mirror for Christmas and I read the entire thing in two days. It gave me an all-new appreciation for the series, which really whet my appetite for Bandersnatch. I can't say I was bored at all, and the gimmick really did draw me in, but once it was all over, the story itself left me dissatisfied. I kept hoping that maybe Stefan (and the viewer) would end up trapped in a loop of some kind, or that Stefan's rebellion against his Netflix "controller" would have more of a pay-off. The ultimate message (as I understood it) that the character's destiny was set regardless of the choices made just fell flat with me. The episode is full of clever ideas, but the story lacks a climax, IMO.
Old 01-03-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

The actor who played Colin in this has quit Twitter because of the usual brave assholes hiding behind their computer screens calling him ugly, etc. I'd love to see what some of those beauties look like. Not surprising, considering the cesspool that social media has become, good for him, no one should have to put up with this crap.
Old 01-03-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Yeah, people are fucking idiots. I had to look up the actor, since he was so familiar, and saw he was in The Revenant. Duh. Should've remembered that.

Also, it was very cool to hear Laurie Anderson's "O Superman" in Bandersnatch.
Old 01-03-19, 11:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

He was also in Meet the Millers:

Old 01-03-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmS8EijNWeU
Ah, forgot about that one.

Your YouTube link isn't showing up for me. Possibly the new forum software is the cause?

Weird... I see it where I've quoted you, but not in your original post. It seems to show up using the yt /yt delimiters.
*Edit* Okay, so it doesn't show up in my post, either, with the delimiters. It shows up in the post preview.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
Old 01-03-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Very funny movie.
Old 01-03-19, 08:36 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Very funny movie.
Almost as funny as We're The Millers.

He was amazing in Detroit.
Old 01-04-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Almost as funny as We're The Millers.
Almost...

He was amazing in Detroit.
Damn, haven't got to this one yet.
Putting in my queue now...
Old 01-04-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
The actor who played Colin in this has quit Twitter because of the usual brave assholes hiding behind their computer screens calling him ugly, etc. I'd love to see what some of those beauties look like. Not surprising, considering the cesspool that social media has become, good for him, no one should have to put up with this crap.
People are idiots. I am not agreeing with that behavior or observation at all, but I do have to comment that it did seem as if the makeup crew didn't do favors to anybody on this production. I don't know if it was that the makeup wasn't prepared for shots that close up, if it was a high-def issue, or what ... but everybody was having their blemishes shown in extreme detail.
Old 01-05-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Netflix has released a few making-of featurettes on Youtube:

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but this movie is apparently inspired by a real-life attempt in 1984 to create a game called Bandersnatch by gaming company Imagine Software. The game was supposedly so advanced they needed to include a hardware add-on for the Z Spectrum with the game. Imagine went bankrupt before the game was released, but a documentary crew was on hand during the collapse and created the 1984 documentary "Commercial Breaks - The Battle For Santa's Software" covering it. It's available to view on Youtube:
Old 01-05-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been trying for days to remember where I knew Will Poulter from as I haven't seen any of the other movies mentioned here. It was his first film when he was a child, Son of Rambow, very sweet and charming movie. I don't understand the trend lately for geeks to cyber-bully actors and actresses for made up reasons or no reason at all. He was great in Bandersnatch.
Old 01-06-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I had a Commodore 64, and it's cassette player was really slow as well. I ended up saving my money all summer so that I could buy a disc drive for it. Much better, and we had a dual disc drive in the computer lab at school, so every lunch and break it was non-stop game copying. Oh crap, maybe I shouldn't talk about that here, am I breaking a rule? Oh hell, that was nearly 35 years ago, so fuck it.
Yeah, better not start talking about Dissector and ISEPIC; might start to give people ideas.

Old 01-07-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
This was supposed to be my big New Year's Eve movie for the wife and me.
I talked it up beforehand based upon the novelty of the approach and as a confirmed fan of the series.
After 20 minutes in, I realized I didn't give a rat's ass about the characters or what might happen to them one wit.
Dumped it and moved on...
This is how I felt. The overall story wasn't interesting at all and neither were the characters in it. It seemed like no matter what choice you made you would eventuallu get rerouted to make the other choice eventually. I like most of Black Mirror's episodes especially when they had a twist ending like San Juniper. By the time I got to the end of this episode I just didn't care. I fely it dragged on for too long and really went nowhere. I think Black Mirror set the bar really high with San Juniper and it will be really difficult for them to reach that level again. It's kind of like M Night movies. It will be very hard to top the twist ending that he had with Sixth Sense and no other movie he does after that is every going to be able to have that same level of amazement. I can't imagine any new movies he does to have a better plot twist than Bruce Willis being a ghost.
Old 01-07-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

San Junipero was a good episode, but the ending was really obvious for a Black Mirror episode.

Also, the movie ends when you get to an ending -- them allowing you to keep going definitely took away from it (but saved me time since I would have gone for every ending regardless). I like to believe him going to the doctor and kicking his dad in the balls was the proper ending.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-07-19 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Netflix Hit With Lawsuit Over ‘Bandersnatch’ by ‘Choose Your Own Adventure’ Book Publisher
https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/ba...ix-1203105544/
Old 01-11-19, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I would think it could increase book sales.
Old 01-12-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

There's tons of off-brand CYOA adventure series. The genre is called gamebooks, although that includes books that play like a solitaire RPG.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebook
https://gamebooks.org/Series/List

Ryan North has a series of "Chooseable-Path Adventures" based on Shakespeare. Doctor Who has the "Decide Your Destiny" and "Choose the Future" series of books. There's "Pick Your Own Quest" and "You Say Which Way Adventures" book series.

Then there's the books that more closely ape the CYOA name, and even book cover design. "Choose Your Own Misery: Dating", "Killing Hitler With Praise And Fire: Choose Your Own Horrible History", "Ocean of Lard (Choose Your Own Mindf*** Fest #17)" , and "Escape from Fire Island!: A Date with Destiny Adventure". These are also more mature titles aimed at adults. They may get away with the similarities by being parodies of the CYOA series.

There's also gamebook erotica, so definitely more "adult" than the CYOA series.

This is also not Netflix's first interactive episode. They've done interactive episodes of Puss in Boots, Buddy Thunderstruck, and Stretch Armstrong before Bandersnatch
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/ne...ut-1201959464/

I think Bandersnatch rose the level of prominence of the episodes Netflix was doing though, which maybe prompted this response. The two main points the CYOA team have for their trademark infringement claim are that a character actually says the phrase "choose your own adventure" in the episode, and that Netflix tried to negotiate a license for the CYOA name. I think the idea is that since Netflix tried to license the name, they new they could be potentially infringing on the trademark. However, CYOA is just a trademark, not a copyright or patent over the genre, so Netflix isn't infringing just by making interactive content. Also, while the phrase is used in Bandersnatch, I don't think it credibly confuses the reasonable consumer into thinking it's officially connected to the CYOA book series.
Old 01-13-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

One of today’s ShirtPunch offerings.
Old 01-16-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Finally got around to watching Bandersnatch. I enjoyed the hell out of it, both the story and the concept of it. It was really fun, making the choices and how meta they were. I am really impressed at how seamless it was on Netflix. I appreciate that they are willing to take chances like this on things. Can't wait for the season.
Old 01-16-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Mr. Flix

Thanks for this. I got the PACS ending. Which does not sound as cool as some of the others. I thought it was pretty well done overall. Some choices it appeared you had to take to move the narrative.

Last edited by d2cheer; 01-16-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-13-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Netflix Saved and Collected Every Choice Viewers Made in ‘Black Mirror: Bandersnatch’

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/ne...K2ONjvTOTanZSc

Show Printable Version
Email this Page

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.