TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sons of Anarchy -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "A Mother's Work" -- 12/10/13

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Sons of Anarchy -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "A Mother's Work" -- 12/10/13

Synopsis:

SEASON FINALE - Episode 13 / Production #613 - "A Mother's Work" (Airs December 10, 10:00 pm e/p) - The ramifications of Jax's choices put his club and family in jeopardy. Written by Kurt Sutter & Chris Collins; directed by Kurt Sutter.

Episode 13/13

Wow, I just checked, it's actually a full 2 Hour episode from 10pm to 12am ET

Looks like there won't be many commenting tonight due to the late ending.

After the episode ends, Kurt Sutter and the cast & crew will be online at:

http://www.anarchyafterword.com/

It's an Internet talk show like Taking Dead to talk about tonight's episode.
Old 12-10-13, 05:46 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Sons of Anarchy -- 2 Hour Season Finale -- "A Mother's Work" -- 12/10/13

2 Hours? JESUS CHRIST! Get a new fucking editor.
Old 12-10-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
2 Hours? JESUS CHRIST! Get a new fucking editor.
No kidding. When I watched the Breaking Bad documentary, at least Vince Gilligan and his editor try to work hard and make the episode fit the allotted time slot for AMC.

FX is just kissing Sutter's ass so much and letting him do whatever the hell he wants. Sutter should have saved these extended episodes for the BD/DVD release.

I have to wonder how much raw footage from the dailies of this episode was shot? 4 hours worth? Jesus!
Old 12-10-13, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this been officially renewed for S7 yet? I'm assuming it's a case of when it's renewed rather then if?
Old 12-10-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stenix
Has this been officially renewed for S7 yet? I'm assuming it's a case of when it's renewed rather then if?
It was renewed last year for a sixth and (final) seventh season.

I believe a prequel series is planned after that.
Old 12-10-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stenix
Pretty much. No question FX will officially renew this, it's just a matter of when. Sutter was already signed by FX to work on the show through season 7, so it's probably only a matter of time.

Originally Posted by My Other Self
It was renewed last year for a sixth and (final) seventh season.

I believe a prequel series is planned after that.
http://www.people.com/people/article...754942,00.html

The prequel is being developed according to Sutter.

I think you're confusing FX signing Sutter to work on the show through season 7 as opposed to the show being renewed.

The show got a 2 season renewal (5 and 6) back in February 2012 and Sutter signed a 3-year deal to keep working on the show.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...tter-fx-287031

Last edited by DJariya; 12-10-13 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Pretty much. No question FX will officially renew this, it's just a matter of when. Sutter was already signed by FX to work on the show through season 7, so it's probably only a matter of time.
Wait, so it wasn't "officially" renewed? What was that crap about the seventh being the last and then focusing his work on the John Teller series?
Old 12-10-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Wait, so it wasn't "officially" renewed? What was that crap about the seventh being the last and then focusing his work on the John Teller series?
I just answered this above.
Old 12-10-13, 08:25 PM
Banned

Was there ANY episode aired this season that wasn't extended?

Fuck Sutter.
Old 12-10-13, 09:14 PM

I think there was like 1 that wasn't.
Old 12-10-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had to be done, had to be done...
Old 12-10-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Well shit. Saw it coming, but that was brutal
Old 12-10-13, 10:52 PM

Yea... I knew Tara was going to go at some point. I didn't really see her doing it Ophelia style though. But this was Shakespearian in itself. I thought Juice might off himself there to implicate himself in the murders, with a "tell them I did it" BANG type of thing. I really don't understand his motivations anymore.
Old 12-10-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So Sutter has found a way to give his hideous wife another season of screen time. Sigh. And these extended episodes....grrr. I can't wait to hate watch the final season.
Old 12-10-13, 11:02 PM

On the After Show Sagal was asked if she worried that THIS ACT would make fans hate Gemma.

And so again... why did we waste those episodes with Venus...what was the point of the little girl? All this shit was pointless as it stands.
Old 12-10-13, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I was wondering how the while Ophelia thing would play out on the show. More brain stabby than the original.
Old 12-11-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well that was the perfect way to completely fucking destroy Unser's character. The way he has been half-heartedly on both sides all season has been unfucking believable, but what he did to set up the action was completely outside of anything that could remotely be considered an acceptable or character-driven approach to screenwriting. That may be the worst scene I have seen on TV in the recent past, and I watched most of season one of Revolution and a few of the early episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

There is absolutely no fucking way, by the way, that Roosevelt would have been so fucking stupid or that Tara wouldn't have screamed (I mean before the convenient full sink of water). This season was better than the Ireland heap of shit overall, but this finale is the biggest piece of shit writing I may have ever seen, and it made listening to Sutter, his wife, and Siff talking about it like it was somewhere between Breaking Bad and Shakespeare exceptionally painful.

By the way, that voiceover with Jax reading his letter while sitting at Opie's grave was horrid. There isn't a fucking soul on the planet who would actually write that letter using that style and mix of words.
Old 12-11-13, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Wow, I personally liked it. Crazy ass episode.

I know Jimmy James has a very love-hate relationship with this show. So I don't really agree with a lot of his chewing out comments.

Loved the absolute brutality of that scene with Gemma and Tara. Gemma just let all of the years of anger towards Tara culminate in that one scene and just snapped. I guess she thought this was going to be the last time she let that bitch doctor fuck over her family. I don't think screaming or writing any dialogue would have made that scene better. It was more or less a scene of absolute rage and the aftermath. It would have lessened the impact of the scene IMO.

at Juice's attempt to cover up the murder for Gemma, especially killing Roosevelt. Roosevelt was shocked. I don't think he really had time to react before Juice nailed him.

I was a little confused with how they left things. Pounder's character was staring at the gun near Roosevelt and then had this evil look at Jax. What were they trying to make us think there?
Old 12-11-13, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

There is absolutely no proof that Jax had anything to do with Tara's murder or killing Roosevelt. So that is out of the question. I guess we'll be seeing CCH Pounder possibly fulltime next season or at least a season guest star.

BTW, I had to laugh at Nero's attempt to break up with Gemma. What a douche.

Even though Unser didn't get the full story about the deal, which was obviously deceptive for Gemma and made her think the worst. I still think the events over the last 6 years would have led to that happening in one way or another. She still thought that Tara was going to fuck over the club & take the kids before Tara and Jax made that revised deal.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-11-13 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I was a little confused with how they left things. Pounder's character was staring at the gun near Roosevelt and then had this evil look at Jax. What were they trying to make us think there?
There's no way they can pin the murders on Jax. No murder weapon for either victim on scene.

No surprise to see Tara finally go. A little shock to see the brutality of it though. And Juice killing Roosevelt was a holy shit moment.

Has one major gun deal gone down without one side wiping out the other?

I wonder if Unser got laid.
Old 12-11-13, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...ource=facebook

IGN.com gave the episode a 9 out of 10

The Verdict

Although too much of the plot hinged on miscommunication between the characters, the Sons of Anarchy season finale was elevated by the great performances from the actors. Ending on a tragic note, there will be plenty of conflict for the show to explore when it returns next season.
Old 12-11-13, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked what they did with the Nero character, assuming Sutter doesn't flip him back and forth next season like he does with every other character. The stuff with the various MC's was also very good and I assume will be one of the major storylines next year. The various MC's interacting with each other has always been one of the stronger aspects of the show - I think Sutter gets away from that too much

And I'll ask the same question I must have asked 5 or 6 times (and with a bunch of these characters)... why is Juice alive? He's not at the Clay level yet, but there is the whole killing a member and ratting on the club thing which I hear is frowned upon. But it was the same shit as Clay, I need him alive to vote my way, I need him alive to keep close to Clay, I need him alive to (fill in reason here)... Listening to Jax tell Bobby "Juice can't be trusted" should have resulted in a smack to the head followed by "no shit?"

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Well that was the perfect way to completely fucking destroy Unser's character. The way he has been half-heartedly on both sides all season has been unfucking believable, but what he did to set up the action was completely outside of anything that could remotely be considered an acceptable or character-driven approach to screenwriting. That may be the worst scene I have seen on TV in the recent past, and I watched most of season one of Revolution and a few of the early episodes of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The Unser plot was just ridiculous. He was one of the few characters I liked on this show and Sutter just fucked that character up this season.
Old 12-11-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought Chib's reaction to Bobby getting the gavel was interesting. He seemed surprised and not entirely thrilled to be passed over.

But yeah, I don't see how Unser could not tell Gemma to go fuck herself.

At this point the only hope I see for the kids is if Jax's half-sister comes frame Ireland to raise them. There's not much left in Charming in the way of redeeming characters.
Old 12-11-13, 09:38 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Sutter makes Shakespeare look like Danielle Steel.
Old 12-11-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I've loved this season, but man, Gemma murdering her son's wife for something she wasn't even going to do is really a bit much. I used to feel sorry for her with Clay smacking her around & all that, and then when she hooked up with Nero I thought they were actually having her character evolve. But yeah, not so much.

My favorite moment was when Jax was hugging Tara in the hotel room. I really thought he might just kill her right there on the spot, but instead he was willing to sacrifice himself for his family & the club. Those types of moments make the show for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.