Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Homeland - "Big Man in Tehran" - 12/8/13

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: Homeland - "Big Man in Tehran" - 12/8/13

It was pretty obvious they were trying to make us think Brody bailed on the CIA after the failed attempt - since that the kind of thing the show does to try and create suspense and twists.

Why did Brody waste all that time suffocating buddy-boy? Why didn't he just snap his neck like he did that other guy he killed in Season 2? It'd be so much quicker. Oh right, trying to create suspense.

I understand why buddy used Nazir's widow to vet Brody, but why did buddy have to show up there just to drive away before meeting Brody? Create suspense again?
Old 12-09-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Frustrating, yet entertaining episode. The last 15 minutes or so were pretty intense indeed. Despite the implausibilities (what's new?), it set the stage for what should be, a pretty good season finale.
My thoughts too. Why on earth they would send Carrie there to run the operation is beyond me.
Old 12-09-13, 10:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Carrie going to Iran was hilarious, and of course expected. Totally idiotic.

the person who they had to shoot to stop her from blowing the cover is just allowed to pop off
on Iran?

Dave99 said it best at the start - Suspend all rational belief.

This show is now 100% 24..
Old 12-09-13, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB

This show is now 100% 24..
It's nowhere near that good of a show.
Old 12-10-13, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
He destroyed the syringe because he couldn't use it at that point, and he surely be shot if he was caught with it.
Doesn't make sense. He kept it rolled up in his sleeve the whole time up until then. Seems kind of odd he'd just destroy it.

It looks more to me that he was enjoying his new found fame and when he realized the CIA was going to waste him he decided to just take action in to his own hands.

I dunno, you gotta suspend all disbelief while watching and all of the back and forth is hokey but it's still better than last season.
Old 12-10-13, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I know that Danes thinks everyone likes the Carrie/Brody relationship, but I have a really hard time believing that is true. I thought it would have been really cool if he DID flip sides again, and especially if it was revealed that he actually was behind and in on the CIA bombing but they want him to be some sort of hero.
There's still time...
Old 12-10-13, 10:52 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by RUSF18
There's still time...
Maybe Chloe can open up another socket or something.
Old 12-10-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Maybe Brody ditched the syringe because he didn't want them to find it on him. Makes a certain sort of sense that he wouldn't want to hang onto it.

And one reason to send Carrie to Iran is because the CIA was decimated during the bombing, and they don't have a lot of other available options.

At any rate, this seemed like a harebrained scheme from the get-go. There's no guarantee that Akbari would agree to meet with Brody at all, especially considering his paranoid nature, and even if he did, there's also no guarantee that Brody would have able to get close to him. Also hard to believe they would allow Brody to smuggle any kind of weapon to the meeting without being thoroughly searched.

There are a lot of things, beyond the control of the CIA or Javadi, that needed to align in the right place for the assassination to go down.
Old 12-10-13, 02:03 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Fagcludedly
It's nowhere near that good of a show.

I lol'd
Old 12-10-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

If Brody could have spent an episode being chased by a cougar at the Iraq/Iran border, it might measure up to 24.
Old 12-10-13, 03:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If Brody could have spent an episode being chased by a cougar at the Iraq/Iran border, it might measure up to 24.
Paging Courtney Cox...
Old 12-11-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Doesn't make sense. He kept it rolled up in his sleeve the whole time up until then. Seems kind of odd he'd just destroy it.
Makes sense to me. He had it hidden in his bed, and only rolled it up in his sleeve when it was time to meet buddy. He obviously needed it to kill him. Once the opportunity to kill him was lost, why bother carrying it risking getting caught with it? You take a risk for a payoff, otherwise why take the risk?
Old 12-12-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

Are we still supposed to think that Javadi is going to be made new head of the IRG after Brody tells Nazir's widow that he has to speak with the head of the IRG about Javadi right now...then kills him? That seems like an improbable turn of events there.
Last year Carrie was tailed all over Jordan, but she can mingle in Tehran with impunity and even have extended conversations on satellite phone in public without arousing any suspicion.
Old 12-12-13, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Are we still supposed to think that Javadi is going to be made new head of the IRG after Brody tells Nazir's widow that he has to speak with the head of the IRG about Javadi right now...then kills him? That seems like an improbable turn of events there.
I don't think he told the Nazir's widow why he wanted to talk to Akbari.
Old 12-12-13, 02:05 AM

Last year Carrie was tailed all over Jordan, but she can mingle in Tehran with impunity and even have extended conversations on satellite phone in public without arousing any suspicion.
Dude, she dyed her hair and gained a little weight in her gut. She's completely unrecognizable now.
Old 12-12-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The best way I get through Homeland these days and still enjoy it is I just do the occasional eye-roll at stuff that you mentioned above. The creators don't even care that anything makes sense anymore, as long as the narrative and suspense continues for the 50 minutes.
Old 12-12-13, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
I don't think he told the Nazir's widow why he wanted to talk to Akbari.
Not sure if it was her either, but he definitely told someone that he needed to talk to him about Javadi.
Old 12-12-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's Iran, women have no voice. No one will listen to her.
Old 12-12-13, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3
It's Iran, women have no voice. No one will listen to her.
Except for the head of the IRGC!
Old 12-12-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
Dude, she dyed her hair and gained a little weight in her gut. She's completely unrecognizable now.
If only Tony Mendez had known it was that easy to fool the IRGC, Ben Affleck might have one day won an Oscar for a movie entitled "Clairol Nice n' Easy & the Rosetta Stone".
Old 12-12-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydonesia
Old 12-12-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, that was Carrie??! I was wondering why she wasn't in the episode and when/where the new girl came from.
Old 12-12-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I don't know why you guys are being so snarky. Why, Hitler himself would occasionally don a powdered wig and stroll the halls of the Houses of Parliament during the Blitz.
Old 12-13-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Really absurd, yet entertaining episode. Agree with everyone that Carrie had absolutely no business running that op. She just doesn't have the objectivity to run it effectively. and did Carrie actually think that no one would find out she was the one talking to Brody and warned him about the hit squad. Duh!

The last 15 minutes was pretty intense. Was kind of hard to tell about Brody's motives and then he made the big move to kill the IRG leader. I guess he really wants to redeem himself.

Interesting that Showtime didn't show any scenes from the finale in the teaser. The last 2 seasons they showed quite a lot. Hopefully it makes for a really effective and suspenseful episode. I cannot see Brody making it out alive.
Old 12-13-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I can't see anything that could be done with Brody after this. He is the most notorious and recognizable man on the planet at this point, wanted in every country. Even though his allegiance is apparently once and for all tied to the USA, the CIA/government can reveal next to nothing about his deeds, as that would almost certainly lead to exposing the placing Javadi as the #2 (or was it #3?) guy in Iran. There has been tape after tape of him publically denouncing America and flaunting his terrorist acts. And I would have to think he has just worn out his welcome in Iran. Or, maybe, just maybe, Javadi can use his new authority to cover for Brody and pin some BS crimes against the guy Brody killed (everything that Javadi has done for instance), making him a hero of the republic. He then stays in Iran and works with Javadi on the USA'a behalf from within. Then he parlays his fame into becoming a congressman and gets tapped as the next hot VP candidate.

As vastly improved as the second half of the season has been, I do have one major plot hole gripe: The Iranian government's believing Brody's story when he seeks asylum. They know Brody did not mastermind the bombing of the CIA, so why on earth do they believe that or any other part of his story? Are we to believe that Javadi was the only person in Iran that knew Brody wasn't the bomber/didn't move the car/etc? And anyone that knew Brody didn't move the car also knew Brody knew nothing about the explosives. I have to be missing something because this is so glaring.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.