TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- Mid-Season Finale -- "Too Far Gone" -- 12/01/13

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Mid-Season Finale -- "Too Far Gone" -- 12/01/13

Originally Posted by achau9598
Don't forget about who wiped out the other camp that the Gov came across ...
That's a far better question than why did the bus leave.

Uh, because of a bunch of homicidal dickheads in a tank, maybe?
Old 12-05-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a busy week, I've finally caught up with the mid-season finale. Random thoughts while watching:
  • Nice to see that Daryl agrees with me that Carol's recent behavior has been way out of character.
  • Oh poor, misunderstood Governor!
  • Carl has somehow turned into Tig Notaro's mini-me.
  • The Psycho Girl theory is looking more and more likely. To think they mocked at the internet forum!
  • On the one hand, no body = no death on television. On the other hand, they pretty much showed Judith's death as blatantly as they could get away with. I wouldn't want to bet on whether or not she survives. But I would lay odds that the showrunners may not have decided yet themselves.

Responding to a few points raised in the thread:
  • The Gov was totally saving Michonne for a slow death. As we saw with Andrea and his other "guests", he does like to play with his captives. But he's still totally misunderstood!
  • As to why the Gov's cannon fodder were so gung-ho on the assault - well, as Alisha commented to Tara, what the Govenor did was fucked up but they were now committed. At that point they were being fired upon, and they did show up to take the prison by force, so...
  • Of course, the Governor's plan was less about protecting his followers and more about denying Rick and company whatever peace and happiness they built for themselves. But he's still totally misunderstood!
  • For those wondering why comic Tyrese is a fan favorite, imagine someone with Herschel's humanity and Daryl's ass-kicking ability. And share in our sadness at his television portrayal.
Old 12-06-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Old 12-06-13, 08:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
Carl has somehow turned into Tig Notaro's mini-me.
Old 12-06-13, 11:05 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
I'm pretty sure he's saving Bob's box of booze here.
Old 12-06-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Game of thrones spoilers
Spoiler:

They killed a number of babies. hmmm well at least one. The boy king sent his troops out to kill Robert's bastard children. There was one scene where the troops pulled a baby from the mother and stabbed him. The other children might have been older.
It was done decades earlier in The Ten Commandments. Exact same scene.
Old 12-06-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Daryl is eclipsing Chuck Norris.
Old 12-09-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that most of the way the midseason finale went down was great, the action for the most part was very well done. It's just unfortunate that the motivations and the way that it arrived at this point was so poorly done.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Very entertaining but have all the same gripes as everyone else. Wasting 7 episodes (especially the two dedicated to "Brian") to give us a finale we should have had last season. There's no reason Woodbury 2.0 should have taken up arms for the Gov's cause. They barely know him. Why didn't Rick speak up about what the Gov specifically did? Dumb.
Yeah, that's why this should have been the ending to last season, when the people of Woodbury truly trusted the governor. It doesn't make any sense that this new group suddenly follows him blindly after two of their leaders die and his first course of action is to turn this previously pacifist group into blood thirsty warriors. Nobody had second thoughts when the governor's only response to Rick pleading to live peacefully together was "we could, but we can't?" It was as if the writers were putting their realizations of the plot holes in the character dialogue. Nobody had second thoughts when the governor beheads one of his prisoners?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I thought he was out of ammo. That doesn't excuse them somehow forgetting him diving behind the bus.
As they walked/drove past the bus I kept thinking, wouldn't they be looking for Rick? He was just there. And then he tackles the governor out of nowhere.

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
yeah that was a dumb scene with the zombie shield, but the walkers can be many things, they are not clones, but yeah a few bullets should travel through every type of WD zombie. Plenty of things we have seen on this show are far fetched in terms of how the zombie's act, but you have to just grant the writer's freedom in a general case. If all of a sudden we had some 28 days later type zombies mixed in then all bets are off
Yep as silly as those types of things are, those are the things I usually give them a pass on. It made for a cool action sequence regardless. That and the stealth zombies, or superhuman strength zombies are just something you have to get over with this show.

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I'm not sure why Lily killed the governor. He didn't kill the girl and she probably would have died any way considering she was playing in the mud before he left. Also she forced herself on the governor and didn't try to talk the group out of going. Everyone that went with the governor would be just as guilty.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Lily expressed doubts about the Governor's intentions following his speech; when she walked in on him murdering Hershel she finally saw him for the monster he was.
I didn't even realize she saw that. Hers was one of the few motivations that made sense on the show. She had fallen for him and put her trust in him and while he was away waging war on another group her daughter dies in a place he told her was safe. She had already started doubting him and the man she thought he was, she finally saw him for who he truly was.
Old 12-09-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Yup. My favorite part of the ep was when he shot that guy in the chest after blowing up his tank.
Old 12-09-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one that was hoping Daryl was going to shoot an arrow through the Gov. other eye?
Old 12-09-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msdmoney
I didn't even realize she saw that. Hers was one of the few motivations that made sense on the show. She had fallen for him and put her trust in him and while he was away waging war on another group her daughter dies in a place he told her was safe. She had already started doubting him and the man she thought he was, she finally saw him for who he truly was.
She definitely saw him standing over a bound and helpless old man and chop, chop, chopping away at his neck.

And if nothing else, the Gov had just taken a sword through the chest and was bleeding out while surrounded by zombies. It's not as if she could have whisked him away to the nearest emergency room. Especially since he had just slaughtered the nearest thing to a doctor for miles around. A bullet to the Gulliver was practically a mercy.
Old 12-09-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
Yup. My favorite part of the ep was when he shot that guy in the chest after blowing up his tank.
And when Carl shoots and kills an unarmed combatant who is surrendering, he gets his gun taken away and has to work in the garden.
Old 12-09-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With Hershel gone, their only doctor-in-residence, how does Rick prevent his bullet wound from getting infected? Looks like he's in a heap o' trouble!
Old 12-09-13, 02:00 PM

What about Bob?
Old 12-09-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...And for all the "nay-sayers" and haters of Carl, I'll have you know that, while sitting in a room with two prepubscent girls, swooning over Carl ("Carl is so-oo hot"), I can guarantee that nobody is killing off Carl. He's "as big" with the kids as Daryl is to the "grown-ups."
Old 12-09-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
What about Bob?
What if he's looking for a bathroom, he can't find one, and his bladder explodes?
Old 12-09-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
What if he's looking for a bathroom, he can't find one, and his bladder explodes?
My urine-doctor once told me that the bladder never explodes. It only expands and expands, and becomes excruciatingly painful. But never explodes.
Old 12-09-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
...And for all the "nay-sayers" and haters of Carl, I'll have you know that, while sitting in a room with two prepubscent girls, swooning over Carl ("Carl is so-oo hot"), I can guarantee that nobody is killing off Carl. He's "as big" with the kids as Daryl is to the "grown-ups."
So you're saying that prepubescent girls' taste in the opposite sex is on par with their typical taste in music?
Old 12-09-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paff
So you're saying that prepubescent girls' taste in the opposite sex is on par with their typical taste in music?
Apparently. One Direction & Carl Grimes (Chandler Riggs) are prepubescent girls heavenly dream.
Old 12-09-13, 02:20 PM

My urine-doctor once told me that the bladder never explodes. It only expands and expands, and becomes excruciatingly painful. But never explodes.
Only one way to find out!
Old 12-09-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Your urine-doctor is wrong. Bladders explode like Daryl just shoved a grenade into your tank's peehole.

Baby steps to the bathroom, baby steps to the bathroom.
Old 12-09-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Apparently. One Direction & Carl Grimes (Chandler Riggs) are prepubescent girls heavenly dream.
Wouldn't be so cool if they had him and Beth do a duet together on an upcoming episode?
Old 12-09-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by msdmoney
As they walked/drove past the bus I kept thinking, wouldn't they be looking for Rick? He was just there. And then he tackles the governor out of nowhere.
My assumption was that Rick peel off from the pack because he wanted to go after The Governor. I think there came a point in the chaos where the bus just decided they had to go or get caught in the crossfire.

Yep as silly as those types of things are, those are the things I usually give them a pass on. It made for a cool action sequence regardless. That and the stealth zombies, or superhuman strength zombies are just something you have to get over with this show.

I'm willing to offer it a bit of leeway since the zombies are basically a force of nature that mean you'll have to move. They're plot devices more than they're anything else. But yeah, they're wildly inconsistent.

So who shot him, the girl he was with or the lesbian gal? Did one of the two of them die? I was confused as to who was who.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Only one way to find out!
You do that.

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Daryl once arm-wrestled Chuck Norris. The stipulation was that whoever lost would have to be the subject of endless bad jokes on the Internet.

Originally Posted by uteotw
I kill you till you're dead! That's worse!
Old 12-12-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I was watching AMC the other day and they ran an ad for the movie Love Actually. At the end they throw up a pic of Andrew Lincoln from the movie and the announcer says something to effect of "featuring Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead."

I wonder how many fans of TWD will sit through the movie just to see him.
Old 12-12-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just watched that movie for the second time a few days ago and I don't remember him in it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.