TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrow -- "State v. Queen" -- 11/20/13

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Arrow -- "State v. Queen" -- 11/20/13

Synopsis:

"State v. Queen" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, V) (HDTV)

MOIRA FIGHTS FOR HER LIFE; THE COUNT RETURNS

Oliver (Stephen Amell) is concerned when a mysterious illness sweeps the city, infecting hundreds of people, including Diggle (David Ramsey). Oliver discovers Vertigo in Diggle's blood and realizes The Count (guest star Seth Gabel) has broken out of prison and is once again distributing his drug. Meanwhile, Moira (Susanna Thompson) goes on trial for her participation in the Undertaking. ADA Adam Donner (guest star Dylan Bruce) collapses in court with Vertigo symptoms so Laurel (Katie Cassidy) must step in and try the case against Moira. Oliver is torn between standing by his family during the trial and catching The Count. However, things change when Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) follows a lead and walks straight into a trap set by The Count. Bethany Rooney directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Drew Z. Greenberg (#207).

Episode 7 of 23
Old 11-20-13, 06:15 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Arrow -- "State v. Queen" -- 11/20/13

A new piece to the costume:

Spoiler:

Oliver Queen will soon be a masked hero.

EW has your exclusive first look at Arrow’s brand new mask, which will make its debut on the show come December. But why the change? According to executive producer Andrew Kreisberg, the answer is multi-faceted. ”Conceptually, it was something we wanted to do because Oliver himself is evolving as the Arrow– from vigilante to hero, sort of from Arrow to Green Arrow — and we wanted to see that progression in his costume as well,” he said. “As Oliver is embracing being a hero, being a hero means stepping out of the dark and being more of a symbol, so he has to take steps to conceal his identity more.”

Adding a mask also comes with logistical benefits, he said. In the second season, Oliver has found himself working much more closely with several people who don’t know his true identity — like Laurel’s father Det. Lance, for example — and it was getting harder and harder to believably hide Oliver’s face under the hood. “It’s going to allow the Arrow to interact with people who don’t know his identity in a much more organic way than having him constantly keep his head down,” says Kreisberg.

Costume designer Maya Mani put together roughly 50 mask options for the producers before they landed on the dark green design you see in these exclusive photos. Kreisberg credits exec producer Greg Berlanti for steering them toward simplicity. “A lot of our early attempts were very, shall I say, Joel Schumacher-esque. And it was really Greg who said not to overcomplicate it,” he said. “And I think what’s so wonderful about the design that Maya came up with is that it really is very simple, and it feels as if it’s been part of his costume since the beginning…once we finally had this mask and put it on Stephen [Amell], even Stephen was like, ‘This is the right one.’”

The Arrow team has flirted with the idea of a mask since the pilot, Kreisberg reveals, but at that moment, there were time constraints and concerns about putting a masked hero before a new audience. ”For all of the work that went into creating his mask, those are all the reasons we didn’t do it when we did the pilot,” he said, “and also, sometimes, people have this knee-jerk reaction to seeing somebody in a mask. ‘Oh, that’s silly.’ But I think that now that people see how serious the show is and how grounded it is, the mask is going to feel like a natural evolution.”

The mask addition will be seen in the Dec. 11 episode of Arrow, and the change will be addressed on-screen, says Kreisberg. “He doesn’t just put on a mask. It’s actually a big plot point in an episode, and there really is a story behind, not only the need for the mask but also who provides him with it,” he says. “It’s going to be a little bit of a surprise, and once they see how the mask comes into creation, I think people will be really excited about it.”

Old 11-20-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Another Spartacus alum will be showing up soon. Katrina Law
Old 11-20-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

What an ending!
Old 11-21-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What an ending!

Other than being awesome, is something comic book awesome about it?

And man I hope someone in her inner circle has a sit down with Cassidy. She doesn't look well.
Old 11-21-13, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Her father David should sing her a song.

Hard choice for GA but it was the correct choice.
Old 11-21-13, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I admit the writing is genius, and the storylines are intriguing. But with all the gushing over this show, how is it that terrible acting by a large number of the cast, and especially guest stars like Count Vertigo, gets a total pass from DC fanboys.

I mean, come on, every time he opens his mouth I wonder why the director never told Fringe-boy to tone it down a notch.

ETA - Thea's reaction at the affair, "No.....[huff-puff].....no....I asked you about this! Last YEAR...." Come on.

Last edited by DarkestPhoenix; 11-21-13 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-21-13, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool ending, I thought he was gone for good but I should have known the laws of comic never keeps anyone dead.

I loved GA killing when there was a need to kill.
Old 11-21-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Cool ending, I thought he was gone for good but I should have known the laws of comic never keeps anyone dead.
So, did Ra's put Merlin in the Lazarus pit? I wouldn't be surprised if that's how he is still alive.
Old 11-21-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I loved GA killing when there was a need to kill.
That is where I find the perfect balance. If there really is no need then great. However, if lives are at risk don't get them or yourself killed trying not to hurt someone that trying to KILL people (you).
Old 11-21-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There will be no badmouthing Thea while I'm present

Count Vertigo is over-the-top, but it's a deliberate over-the-toppedness. I got no issues with that; adds a little flavor to otherwise grim proceedings.
Originally Posted by thelwig14
Other than being awesome, is something comic book awesome about it?
Not particularly. We all knew Merlyn would return, it was just a question of when. The paternity issue was fascinating... wait didn't Thea try to seduce Tommy last season???
Old 11-21-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
I admit the writing is genius, and the storylines are intriguing. But with all the gushing over this show, how is it that terrible acting by a large number of the cast, and especially guest stars like Count Vertigo, gets a total pass from DC fanboys.

I mean, come on, every time he opens his mouth I wonder why the director never told Fringe-boy to tone it down a notch.
Count Vertigo was definitely over acting but this is only like his third appearance on the show. Direction should probably rein in that ex-Fringe actor.

The reveal at the end didn't surprise me that much, I had speculated about it in season one.

Damn this forum, I can't help but think of Roy now as "Parkour enthusiast" whenever he shows up. Will the Bose headphones help him out next week to escape the lab?
Old 11-21-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I didn't expect to see Merlyn back. Cool reveal
Old 11-21-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like they've introduced Solomon Grundy
Old 11-21-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't talk about Moira Queen that way
Old 11-21-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I was wondering why John Barrowman didn't return to Scandal, guess that answers that question. Lazarus Pit gets my vote for this particular resurrection.
Old 11-21-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
Is that bald headed guy at the end who responded to the drug?
Old 11-21-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was excited to see Barrowman back, but then the secret reveal just made me roll my eyes. Maybe if they saved the Thea reveal for another episode I would be ok with it. Laurel still seems to serve no purpose. With the sister back, and with how likeable Felicity is, I'd be ok with Laurel being written out because shes just there. Also surprised nobody mentioned the fact that Slade's face was made up just like the Deathstroke mask.
Old 11-21-13, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yay to the Arrow killing again.

Seth Gabel was really over the top, but that was part of the character.

Very surprised to see Malcolm again and interesting reveal about Thea being his offspring.

I don't normally root for couples, but I'd like to see Ollie and Felicity finally hook up. You could see it in her eyes she wants to jump his bone so bad.

I like Katie Cassidy, but I hope the writers have something planned for Laurel. She's just dead weight right now. They need to bring back Caity Lotz to present day.
Old 11-21-13, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Is that bald headed guy at the end who responded to the drug?
Yup, Brother Gold. At least I'm assuming he should be Grundy, because otherwise it would be stupid to point him out like that.
Old 11-22-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where are you getting that from? I wasn't aware they were going to introduce Solomon Grundy as a character this season. Nothing shown, so far, fits his origin story. If so, I'll be curious to see how it plays out.

If anything, I think whatever drugs that Blood is using on his captives somehow ties into the same "super soldier" formula that Ivo is looking for on the island in the past, and will likely relate more into Slade becoming Deathstroke. It would follow his comic book origin more closely that way, and serve as a good dual storyline for the current season.
Old 11-22-13, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Solomon Grundy? I doubt it, he is to meta. I think it is just some generic super soldier guy.
Old 11-22-13, 12:40 AM

It seems odd to point out that specific follower/druggie and call him out by name, calling him "Brother Gold," if he wasn't a specific character i.e. Solomon Grundy, since his real name is Cyrus Gold. Of course it could always be Booster Gold.

EDIT: Looks like I'm right going by the Episode Nine press release

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=90364
Old 11-22-13, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems odd to point out that specific follower/druggie and call him out by name, calling him "Brother Gold," if he wasn't a specific character i.e. Solomon Grundy, since his real name is Cyrus Gold. Of course it could always be Booster Gold.

EDIT: Looks like I'm right going by the Episode Nine press release

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=90364
Ok, cool. Just hadn't seen anything that has mentioned it yet.
Old 11-22-13, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
So, did Ra's put Merlin in the Lazarus pit? I wouldn't be surprised if that's how he is still alive.
Actually, No. What was mentioned earlier was that Merlyn was trained in Nanda Parbat, DCU's mystical city. So who knows what skills he learned when he was trained there.

Also, is it just me or is Laurel looking weirder and weirder with every episode? Soon she won't even look human.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.