Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (CW) -- Spinoff of Arrow -- Coming this Fall

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 04:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episode

Originally Posted by taffer
I haven't seen that much of Arrow, but from what I have seen its more "grounded in reality" than Nolan's Batman. I just don't see how other more supernatural superheroes can fit with that.
Arrow's already introduced a slew of DCU characters pretty seamlessly. I don't think there'd be a problem introducing more powerful characters.
Old 11-19-13, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episode

Originally Posted by dalbowski
So essentially Rob Liefeld's to blame?
Rob "Master of Human Anatomy" Liefeld

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Arrow's already introduced a slew of DCU characters pretty seamlessly. I don't think there'd be a problem introducing more powerful characters.
What characters have been introduced? I know Deathstroke was, but he's street level too.

I watched the first five or six episodes of Arrow and didn't like how soap opera it was like.

I don't see how faster-than-light Flash or a space cop like Green Lantern or an Amazon warrior like Wonder Woman would fit in Arrow's universe.
Old 11-19-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I've said for a while that Arrow was a better platform for a shared DC universe than MoS or TDK, and it's nice to see DC embracing that.
Agreed -- I say spin-off the already announced Nightwing into a live-action Titans series on CW, with Speedy a recurring guest star. BAM. Instant demographics success story. You'll get all the 20-somethings who grew up with the Teen Titans cartoon, the old-time Marv Wolfman/George Perez fans, the DC faithful, and Betty Finklebaum. Throw in Raven, Starfire, Bea-- you know what, just throw in Raven and Starfire. Oh yeahhh... plus the Deathstroke connection? Why I'm moist just
Old 11-19-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I watched the first five or six episodes of Arrow and didn't like how soap opera it was like.
Stick with it. The first season is on Netflix. It's faaaaaaaaaantastic
Old 11-19-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Even though it wasn't directly produced by Marvel, Blade: The Series was not bad. The way he was such a dick to his loyal friend/assistant was hilarious.

After Shen, the friend, points out that Blade is teamed up with someone he previously tried to kill numerous times:

Shen: Guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Blade: I don't have a problem killing my friends either.
Old 11-19-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be more interested to see if the Flash pilot actually airs now, or if it will go the same way as the Aquaman pilot.
Old 11-19-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Interestingly enough, with Flash showing up on Arrow, unless I missed it, I guess we'll now see a true Metahuman for the first time on this show. Count Vertigo had no powers and even Black Canary used a gadget for her Sonic scream instead of her own natural powers.
Old 11-19-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I'll be more interested to see if the Flash pilot actually airs now, or if it will go the same way as the Aquaman pilot.
Has anyone seen the Aquaman pilot? I think it's up on XBOX live.
Old 11-19-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What characters have been introduced? I know Deathstroke was, but he's street level too.
I've only seen the first season but Deadshot, Huntress, The Royal Flush Gang, and Speedy (well, Roy Harper) have made appearances.
Old 11-19-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Same here. I'm a hardcore DC fanboy, and I would trade my soul for a DC Cinematic Universe that is as well done as the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
To be honest as nice as it would be to get a DC Cinematic Universe that is on par with Marvel's I actually think television is a better medium. To me a show has way more potential to tell more stories and isn't bogged down by having a limited amount of time to tell a story. It just seems like you can do way more with a show than with a series of films to me. The big problem is a lot of shows don't get the same budget as a blockbuster movie does.
Old 11-19-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you not read the initial post of this thread?

They may not be super well known major character names, but there certainly have been a lot of them, regardless.

In the first season, we got Deadshot, China White, Count Vertigo, The Huntress, The Royal Flush Gang, Merlyn, Shado, Firefly, Deathstoke (Slade Wilson), not to mention character names from the comics (Eddie Fyers, Billy Wintergreen, Ted Gaynor and The Blackhawks), even if they didn't always bear the same resemblance to their comic book counter parts.

This season, we've also had Black Canary, Bronze Tiger, The League Of Assassins, Professor Ivo, Amanda Waller, The Dollmaker, and the others coming up like The Flash who have been announced, as well as some not yet. That's not forgetting the fact that Moria Queen's lawyer is also Jean Loring (girlfriend of The Atom - Ray Palmer, in the comics), and that the ship of Ivo's they are on in the flashback sequences is called Amazo.

What prime time drama these days is not "soap opera" like?
Old 11-19-13, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
To be honest as nice as it would be to get a DC Cinematic Universe that is on par with Marvel's I actually think television is a better medium. To me a show has way more potential to tell more stories and isn't bogged down by having a limited amount of time to tell a story. It just seems like you can do way more with a show than with a series of films to me. The big problem is a lot of shows don't get the same budget as a blockbuster movie does.
Yeah, I would love to have another live action Batman TV series. The last one was fifty years ago.

Batman has a huge rogues gallery and TV would be a better venue to explore his numerous rogues than the movies. Plus we could get season long adaptations of stories like Knightfall or No Man's Land that would never be possible in the movies.

The only real downside to that though is that network TV generally sucks. The last network show that I really enjoyed was 24. Premium cable has pretty much completely replaced network TV as my main TV viewing. About the only thing I still watch on networks is the news channels.
Old 11-19-13, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh lord don't get me started on that rant. I could be here all night.

Anyway, long story (relatively) short:

In the Spider-Man comics they have a storyline going called the Clone Saga. The Clone Saga started out decently enough, but they just dragged it on for far far too long. It went on for about two years in real time. Back then there were four main Spider-Man titles, so 4 monthly titles times 12 issues per year times 2 years equals almost 100 issues for just that one story.

It was just ridiculous how long they dragged that story out, and the reason they did so is because the marketing department told them to do so. The freaking marketing department had complete control basically. They dragged it out because it was initially selling extremely well, and they wanted to prolong it as long as possible.

Well that made the writing become a complete nonsensical mess because the writers had to keep changing their plans. In the end, the sales dropped like a rock, and the story ended with a whimper and not a bang.

Over on the X-Men side of things, the X-Men were becoming so convoluted you practically needed a PhD in X-Men to keep up. Even to this day, X-Men continuity is by far the worst in comic history. Even as big of a nerd as I am, I just roll my eyes at the thought of trying to get back into X-Men comics.

What really hurt Marvel the most was the early 90s was the peak of the speculator market where everyone was buying ten copies of every comic in the hopes they would be worth a fortune in the future. They were just catering to these speculators with endless gimmick after gimmick. At the same time, actual readers were getting pissed off and were leaving the industry. I certainly wasn't the only person that quit Marvel in the 90s. Many readers did. Then when the speculators finally left in the late 90s, there was nobody left. Marvel ended up nearly bankrupt in the late 90s.

DC did a lot of stupid stuff in the 90s too, but they were nowhere near as bad as Marvel was.
Oh, I know all about the clone saga and the slew of 90s X-Men comics; I was just wondering if there was something else Marvel did that turned fans off them. Going off what some other posters mentioned, it sounds like Marvel had it's hands in some very bad decisions. Was anyone ever blamed for any of this? It sounds like this would be good material for a documentary. Did a lot of this happen before or after they were bought by Toy Biz?
Old 11-20-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
This season, we've also had Black Canary, Bronze Tiger, The League Of Assassins, Professor Ivo, Amanda Waller, The Dollmaker, and the others coming up like The Flash who have been announced, as well as some not yet. That's not forgetting the fact that Moria Queen's lawyer is also Jean Loring (girlfriend of The Atom - Ray Palmer, in the comics), and that the ship of Ivo's they are on in the flashback sequences is called Amazo.
That Jean Loring!? Whoa, I totally had overlooked her name on the show. Let's hope she doesn't have a mental breakdown anytime soon...
Old 11-20-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh lord don't get me started on that rant. I could be here all night.

In the Spider-Man comics they have a storyline going called the Clone Saga. The Clone Saga started out decently enough, but they just dragged it on for far far too long. It went on for about two years in real time. Back then there were four main Spider-Man titles, so 4 monthly titles times 12 issues per year times 2 years equals almost 100 issues for just that one story. It was just ridiculous how long they dragged that story out...Over on the X-Men side of things, the X-Men were becoming so convoluted you practically needed a PhD in X-Men to keep up. Even to this day, X-Men continuity is by far the worst in comic history. Even as big of a nerd as I am, I just roll my eyes at the thought of trying to get back into X-Men comics.
Two things:

1) The flipside of the Clone debacle is Age of Apocalypse, one of the best comic book epics of all time. Personally, for me it ranks third-best of any comic storyline I've read....While Batman's No Man's Land wasn't as bad as the Clone Saga, it's closer to clone than it is to AoA.

2) X-Men continuity mainly got dicked up in the 2000's, primarily due to the absolutely imbecilic Grant Morrison. His undue influence on all the titles through the abysmal New X-Men are responsible for most of the problems, but I have no PhD and understanding the book up to that point never seemed that tough to a school kid. Oh, and secondary mutations are horseshit. "Gambit's secondary mutation is charm." Uh, or it's called writing characters with personalities.
Old 11-20-13, 06:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Two things:

1) The flipside of the Clone debacle is Age of Apocalypse, one of the best comic book epics of all time. Personally, for me it ranks third-best of any comic storyline I've read....While Batman's No Man's Land wasn't as bad as the Clone Saga, it's closer to clone than it is to AoA.

2) X-Men continuity mainly got dicked up in the 2000's, primarily due to the absolutely imbecilic Grant Morrison. His undue influence on all the titles through the abysmal New X-Men are responsible for most of the problems, but I have no PhD and understanding the book up to that point never seemed that tough to a school kid. Oh, and secondary mutations are horseshit. "Gambit's secondary mutation is charm." Uh, or it's called writing characters with personalities.
You didn't like No Man's Land?? If nothing else, its worth it simply because it gave us Cassandra Cain.

Knightfall is really more comparable to the Clone Saga since both stories were the main hero being replaced by someone else (Jean Paul Valley replacing Bruce Wayne and Ben Reilly replacing Peter Parker). Both also liked to use gimmicks like hologram foil covers and crap like that. That gimmick crap had ended by the time No Man's Land was written.

Secondary mutations in X-Men really began with Fatal Attractions in the 90s when Magneto ripped Wolverine's adamantium out of his body and it was then revealed Wolverine had bone claws. So he had two mutations: the bone claws and healing factor. I also never read Grant Morrison's work on X-Men, but I thought it was fairly well regarded by most readers? I hear things like how Morrison streamlined the X-Men and brought them back to basics.
Old 11-20-13, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Taffer is correct, Marvel went far beyond DC in terms of speculator excess during the '90s. Outside of Superman's death storyline, DC never really went crazy with their line.
What the fuck are you talking about? They killed off all their legacy characters and replaced them with characters the teen readers could relate to.

Batman got his back broken and a newer more dark Batman arose in Azrael. You had Hal Jordon lose his shit, turn evil because his city was blown up and then go up and killed every green lantern in a fit of rage. Super Boy came about from the four superman spin offs. Green Arrow was killed off. Why? Why the fuck not, I guess. Hal was replaced with Kyle, which was clearly a move to go for that Peter Parker demo.

The 90's were bad for everyone. Marvel just picked the wrong pony in terms of distribution horses and got stuck selling off their licenses for pennies on the dollar to keep a float.

I mean, the 90's may have been a dark time, but just look at DC in the comic world now. Forget about it, the New 52 is a piece of trash that doesn't know what it wants to do.

With that said, I always look forward to Tuesdays when Agents of Shield is on... Because that just means it's one more day till MOTHER FUCK'N ARROW is on.

Arrow goes to town on Agents of shield's boring episode.
Old 11-20-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I never got into DC's characters when I was a comic buyer from the 70's through the mid 90's. Marvel's characters just rang truer as people than did DC's. And Marvel's characters were more fun.

Having said that, Marvel screwed up so badly in the mid 90's that I stopped buying comics altogether. I was in my late 20's, and didn't need a huge push to jump off the comic book bandwagon, so the Clone Saga and a few other titles doing ridiculous crossovers (storylines going from title to title) was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. The thing that really pissed me off the most was when they basically said that the Amazing Spider-Man 147-150 was all a lie. That was a huge part of Spider-Man's story, and for them to say that it was all wrong just irritated and infuriated me. I was done - and I saved a lot of money every month by NOT buying comics.

I still love what Marvel did from the 60's through the early 90's (especially from the 60's into the mid 70's), and I love Marvel's characters, but the company alienated me as a comic book consumer in the mid 90's.

I'll still take Marvel over DC any day, though.

And Agents Of Shield, while it could be better, is still a fairly good, reasonably entertaining show that has grown and improved a ton since the pilot.
Old 11-20-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Pics released from 1st Arrow ep with Flash

Since when do the police hire high school students to be detectives?

He sure looks like an 18 year old kid. I could NEVER buy that guy as a detective. Not at his age. Give him 10 more years and THEN maybe I could believe that he could be a police detective.

Is that for real? Did they really hire that kid to play Barry Allen?
Old 11-20-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I never got into DC's characters when I was a comic buyer from the 70's through the mid 90's. Marvel's characters just rang truer as people than did DC's. And Marvel's characters were more fun.
Have you ever gone back and re-read the Spiderman stories from the 60's and 70's? To me they didn't stand the test of time. They were good when I was a kid but as an adult I couldn't stand Peter bitching and moaning about his life in literary every issue. I just wanted to slap him silly and say, "Get over it! You fuckin' pussy!"
Old 11-20-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Since when do the police hire high school students to be detectives?

He sure looks like an 18 year old kid. I could NEVER buy that guy as a detective. Not at his age. Give him 10 more years and THEN maybe I could believe that he could be a police detective.

Is that for real? Did they really hire that kid to play Barry Allen?
I'm sure Taffer will be along in a second with a more detailed explanation, but I don't think Barry Allen is a police officer. His ID says CSI there. Isn't he a lab tech?
Old 11-20-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I'm sure Taffer will be along in a second with a more detailed explanation, but I don't think Barry Allen is a police officer. His ID says CSI there. Isn't he a lab tech?
In the past he was always referred to as a "Police Scientist" but I'm sure they changed that.
Old 11-20-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Barry Allen is a forensic scientist.
Old 11-20-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
Have you ever gone back and re-read the Spiderman stories from the 60's and 70's? To me they didn't stand the test of time. They were good when I was a kid but as an adult I couldn't stand Peter bitching and moaning about his life in literary every issue. I just wanted to slap him silly and say, "Get over it! You fuckin' pussy!"
Peter just struck me as a real person. And he wasn't bitching and moaning all the time, just once in a while. If you re-read the comics in a single sitting it seems like more bitching and moaning than when you're buying one issue per month. Since I actually bought those issues (from '74 on) when they first came out that's the way I think about them.

Spider Man will always be my favorite comic book superhero.

Superman? Boring. Bland. Dull.

Batman? Meh. Whatever. Captain America would kick his ass.

Seriously, while DC did improve a lot through the 60's and into the mid 70's they were always playing catch-up with Marvel when it came to characterization.
Old 11-20-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Barry Allen is a forensic scientist.
Whatever.

I'll ask the same question with the right job title...

Since when do they hire high school kids to be forensic scientists?

You're talking about people in their 30's through late 50's in real life, not a 19 year old.

That actor looks a full decade too young for that role. It's a joke. A bad one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.