Reload this Page >

Ideal Length of a TV series

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-18-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are shows like Arrested Development, where people seem to think they were cancelled too soon. There are shows like How I Met Your Mother, where people think the show has dragged on far too long.

With so many more options for people to get into older shows (netflix, hulu, etc), does the length of a series play a role in deciding to dive into a show or not? Have you ever skipped watching an older show because you know it got cancelled after 1-2 years? Have you ever skipped an older show because you didn't want to make the commitment to watch hundreds of episodes?

It really depends if it's a comedy or a drama; if it's a serial or a procedural. But I think that 5 seasons is the sweet spot for me.
Old 11-18-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: Ideal Length of a TV series

I think 7 was the standard for so many years. However, I think serialized v standalone format plays into things as well.

Current examples:
1) I think Vampire Diaries would do well to wrap up after next season. It's still fresh, and this year is an improvement over last, but it could quickly get old fast.
2) Castle has been great, but I think it could have wrapped last year if not this year. However since it's mostly episodic I could ABC going another 2-3 years.
Old 11-18-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on the initial premise of a show and other factors like actors staying or leaving. I really liked ER's early seasons, but as actors came and went the show went on way too long. I wish Friday Night Lights would have a sixth season to give extra focus to some of the characters introduced through the East Dillon side.

I agree with SupermanO7, TVD should end next season.
Old 11-18-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

There really isn't a standard answer for this. It really depends on the type of show.

For dramas, procedurals can go on forever, even if you replace main characters.

Serialized shows should be in the 60-75 episode range. Breaking Bad was the perfect length at 62 episodes. The Shield was also a good length at 89, though there was a little fat that could be trimmed there. The Wire tapped out at a good point too, 60 episodes. Sopranos could have also benefited from less episodes and that was 86.

You have different issues with comedies. You have family comedies such as Modern Family, which was gold when it first started but has been weaker lately. A lot of that has to do with the kids getting older and not fitting in the same roles they had when they were kids.

For the most part though, comedies can go on forever as well, as long as it remains funny. Cheers and Seinfeld went strong for 10 seasons. However, The Office and How I Met Your Mother started to fall apart around season 5. You see the same starting with Modern Family now. Meanwhile you have Parks and Recreation which is 100 episodes in and mostly still going strong. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia also just wrapped up a strong season and that is over 100 episodes in. So I don't think there is a template for how long a comedy should go, it all just matters on if they can manage to keep it funny. For the most part though it's really hard to keep a show funny for over 5 seasons.
Old 11-18-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
There really isn't a standard answer for this. It really depends on the type of show.

Serialized shows should be in the 60-75 episode range. Breaking Bad was the perfect length at 62 episodes. The Shield was also a good length at 89, though there was a little fat that could be trimmed there. The Wire tapped out at a good point too, 60 episodes. Sopranos could have also benefited from less episodes and that was 86.

You have different issues with comedies. You have family comedies such as Modern Family, which was gold when it first started but has been weaker lately. A lot of that has to do with the kids getting older and not fitting in the same roles they had when they were kids.

For the most part though, comedies can go on forever as well, as long as it remains funny. Cheers and Seinfeld went strong for 10 seasons. However, The Office and How I Met Your Mother started to fall apart around season 5. You see the same starting with Modern Family now. Meanwhile you have Parks and Recreation which is 100 episodes in and mostly still going strong. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia also just wrapped up a strong season and that is over 100 episodes in. So I don't think there is a template for how long a comedy should go, it all just matters on if they can manage to keep it funny. For the most part though it's really hard to keep a show funny for over 5 seasons.
I have noticed those problems with family comedies. Roseanne had an awful final season, but one of the things I liked about that show was that kids aged well with the content of the show.
Old 11-18-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the answer is 5
Old 11-18-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The answer is: however long the showrunner needs to tell a tight and concise story without over extending things at the request of the network. Nearly every show I've watched in recent years has been hurt by this and could've been stronger by trimming a couple of seasons.
Old 11-18-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

6 is perfect for every show ever
Old 11-18-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

The real problem is that creative staffs eventually get to a point where they have nothing left to say about the characters after a certain point. Older shows have often been revitalized by bringing in new showrunners. Smallville had become garbage by its fourth or fifth season, and needed the original showrunners to step down to become entertaining once again.
Old 11-18-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
the answer is 5
You are correct. Five is the perfect amount and should always be the plan.
Old 11-18-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
6 is perfect for every show ever
throw in a movie as well
Old 11-18-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aXqLCM0d0Os?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-18-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

There is no one magic number.
Old 11-18-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

funny that you mentioned the Shield. I've never seen it. From what I've heard, I'm confident that I'll enjoy it. But the fact that it's 7 seasons seems like it's just a little too long to get into now. That's not an insurmountable hurdle, but if the show does come out on Netflix, I probably wouldn't jump right into it, but wait until I knew I had plenty of free time.

But if it was a 5 season show, I'd probably jump right into it.
Old 11-18-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
funny that you mentioned the Shield. I've never seen it. From what I've heard, I'm confident that I'll enjoy it. But the fact that it's 7 seasons seems like it's just a little too long to get into now. That's not an insurmountable hurdle, but if the show does come out on Netflix, I probably wouldn't jump right into it, but wait until I knew I had plenty of free time.

But if it was a 5 season show, I'd probably jump right into it.
Is that factoring in the number of episodes per season? At a standard length of 22 episodes a year, The Shield's run is the equivalent of a 4 season network show.
Old 11-18-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Some episodes of the Shield are shorter than others, and seasons 5 was split into two so that became 5 and 6. But yeah once you start you won't want to stop, so get some free time.
Old 11-18-13, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

44 Minutes. I know a lot of shows have cut it down to 40 minutes but that really annoys me. Too many commercials!
Old 11-18-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the 5 season thing. It's a nice number of episodes where a show can have a good number of storylines without getting stale. There are plenty of exceptions though. Another thing is that network shows generally have much longer seasons. 5 seasons of Grey's Anatomy is somewhere around 110 episodes and that's a show that is way, way past its prime. OTOH, 5 seasons of Game of Thrones will be a mere 50 episodes. Quality over quantity.
Old 11-18-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
There is no one magic number.
3 would like to have a word with you

Old 11-19-13, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

For a drama, five 13-episode seasons.

For a comedy, seven 22-episode seasons.
Old 11-19-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Popular misconception. The question we should really be asking is what the ideal girth of a TV show is.
Old 11-19-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

If it's serialized, as long as the series has a story to tell.

Otherwise, 5 seasons.
Old 11-19-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Agree case in point I would have stuck with Under the Dome if it was wrapped up after one season same with The Killing. I would have continued to watch if they would have wrapped up the Rosie case then moved on.
Old 11-19-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

The thought of seven seasons of Buffy interwoven with five seasons of Angel intimidated me for a long time, but Buffy fans convinced me that I could watch that as a standalone. So I'm almost four seasons in and really enjoying it. Maybe I'll try Angel someday.
Old 11-19-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Production costs rise as the shows get older and cast members contracts expire & have to be renegotiated. All that also plays into how long the show goes on as opposed to just storytelling.

Criminal Minds on CBS is in it's 9th season and they have had to renegotiate contracts for talent for the past 3 seasons. They played a huge factor in it coming back.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.