Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

I don't even really follow sports, but the NCCA piece was one of the few (the only?) in-depth pieces he's done where I didn't really learn anything new.
Old 03-17-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't even really follow sports, but the NCCA piece was one of the few (the only?) in-depth pieces he's done where I didn't really learn anything new.
I do agree with that - most of the ridiculousness of the NCAA is pretty common knowledge. But the clips of Emmert, Swinney, etc. were some I hadn't seen before, and of course the jokes were good.

Compare it to the voting rights of the US territories segment - I learned a lot I didn't know watching that one.
Old 03-17-15, 10:28 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

^ Agree on the US Territories one. The NCAA segment was done in an entertaining way (aren't they all?), but not terribly informative. As was the smoking one from a few weeks back. I'm waiting on Lyle the diseased Liver to appear on an alcohol segment
Old 04-03-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

New web exclusive about April Fool's day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXYXuXX48m8
Old 04-10-15, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a bonus clip from the Snowden interview where they talk password security:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGzB-yYKcc

Also, a bit about HBO Now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fesi92d1p68

"It's a lot like HBO Go, except you don't need to rely on your parent's password."
Old 06-08-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A web exclusive they put out on Memorial Day weekend...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W_gRZcI1lto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-19-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Does anybody know what time they put this up on HBO Go? Their other shows get put up immediately after airing, but even by midnight, this show isn't on there. It's there by the next morning though.
Old 07-19-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they're too busy posting it to Youtube to put it on HBO Go right away.

Speaking of Youtube.. another web exclusive posted over 4th of July weekend.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pk2oW4SDDxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk2oW4SDDxY
Old 08-02-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNN mistakes Dildo flag for Isis flag and reports on air.

This was about a month ago, but I've just read about it. Don't know if it's old news for everybody. If it is I'll delete it.

But about a month ago CNN was covering a gay pride parade in london and reported that their was a Isis flag at the parade. The reported it on air, but after a few minutes realized that it wasn't an Isis flag, but a dildo flag.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yy1mvrjxOp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-17-15, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Holy shit was that a good episode tonight! Did anybody call the phone number? I'm assuming it was just to donate to a charity. I really hope something comes of this report just like what happened with the FIFA stuff, otherwise he just contributed $300+ to one of these crooks with no consequence. These people deserve to be in prison.
Old 08-17-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

He didn't really say what could be done to these shysters, and by setting up his own "church", it was almost like he was saying you can't do anything about it.
Old 08-17-15, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I sent in $20. It'll be interesting to see if the IRS takes him down...and if they do, they damn well better go after other churches.

(if you check out the website, the money will go to Doctors without Borders after the church is disbanded)
Old 08-17-15, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
He didn't really say what could be done to these shysters, and by setting up his own "church", it was almost like he was saying you can't do anything about it.
It's hard to say what actually can be done to them, besides exposing them and their methods.

Even if the IRS removes their tax exemption, that's basically just a perk. It'd cut into their finances, but it wouldn't remove their income stream.

The "pay money for god points" scheme is sleazy and predatory, but I'm not sure there's a way to prevent them without it being a restriction on religion. I mean, the Old Testament has a required 10% tithe, while Christians are recommended to give what they can.
http://www.gotquestions.org/tithing-Christian.html
http://www.christianbiblereference.org/faq_tithe.htm
Old 08-17-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Holy shit was that a good episode tonight! Did anybody call the phone number? I'm assuming it was just to donate to a charity. I really hope something comes of this report just like what happened with the FIFA stuff, otherwise he just contributed $300+ to one of these crooks with no consequence. These people deserve to be in prison.
Call the number, it's funny. (1-800-THIS-IS-LEGAL) Great episode. These people should be put in prison while throwing away the key.
Old 08-17-15, 01:19 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

Fantastic episode
Old 08-17-15, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I sent in $20. It'll be interesting to see if the IRS takes him down...and if they do, they damn well better go after other churches.

(if you check out the website, the money will go to Doctors without Borders after the church is disbanded)
Ah. Well thanks for clearing that up. I wouldn't have sent him money anyways, because I like to know where my money is going. Doctors without Borders is a good cause tho- I know the doctor who runs the Iranian chapter.

I doubt the IRS is going to go after him. He had a lawyer follow the rules to set up his "church".
Old 08-17-15, 01:40 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

This show is interesting in that it is possible that they have been successful in actually getting things to change. The FCC changed course slightly after their episode and the attention they brought to FIFA was almost prescient and led to Seth's resignation. If they could make inroads to getting televangelists the attention they need (think bars metal and public shitting) that would just be too awesome.
Old 08-17-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

The whole correspondence that Oliver did with Tilton just illustrate how predatory their asking for "donations" are. Fucking pricks! The sad part is that they prey on the vulnerable.

I liked the whole ruckus about the New Zealand flag and their possible "upgrades"...
Old 08-19-15, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really good episode. Hard to believe the balls on these guys, sending trinkets that you have to send back, and specifically saying that you were not to keep God's dollar. If I read that in a book, I'd think it was too ludicrous for fiction, let alone people do it in real life. And these assholes talking about jets, etc? Just plain disgusting.
Old 08-19-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Check out the Popoff shit from the 80's, where he claims to cure cancer and make people walk again. Meanwhile his wife is radioing him info on people and making fun of them.
Old 08-19-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Hard to believe the balls on these guys, sending trinkets that you have to send back
If someone sends you something unsolicited (you didn't ask for it buy buying, etc.) via mail, it's yours to keep for free -- by law.

I watched this show for the first time over the last 2 episodes. I don't have it on a season pass, but it's growing on me.
Old 08-19-15, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
If someone sends you something unsolicited (you didn't ask for it buy buying, etc.) via mail, it's yours to keep for free -- by law.
Most of the trinkets they sent were practically worthless; they only had value in the ability to persuade you to send in more money. The only thing of value were the $1 bills, which they never said you couldn't legally keep, only that God would be angry if you did keep them.
Old 08-19-15, 01:59 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't watch the show every week, but this last episode on the churches asking for money was one of the best, and funniest, things I've seen on TV in a while.

going to watch it again soon
Old 08-19-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

It's a noble effort by Oliver (funny, too!), but you could lock up these televangelists, and their followers would send them money in prison.
Old 08-19-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

that church segment was, hands down, the best thing this show has ever done. i may send money to him just because it was so brilliant.

fwiw, if you read the fine print, the money will go to doctors without borders of the church "dissolves". i fully anticipate the church will dissolve at some point in the future and that money will be donated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.