DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead -- "Indifference" -- 11/03/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/614912-walking-dead-indifference-11-03-13-a.html)

DJariya 11-03-13 03:11 AM

The Walking Dead -- "Indifference" -- 11/03/13

http://media.amctv.com/img/originals...1024x768-C.jpg

Synopsis:

While on a supplies mission to a local college, members of the group run into multiple hurdles. Things at the prison are getting worse.

Written by: Matt Negrete
Directed by: Tricia Brock

Episode 4 of 16

auto 11-03-13 08:55 PM

Re: The Walking Dead -- "Indifference" -- 11/03/13

I can remember when there would be a full page of comments before the show even started!

Kind of a meh episode and I'm usually an easy to please fan.

DthRdrX 11-03-13 09:32 PM

Chris Jericho should be on Talking Dead every week.

Dragon Tattoo 11-03-13 09:47 PM

Only good moment was Daryl getting gansgster on the alcoholic just because it was such a ridiculous moment.

Raul3 11-03-13 09:48 PM

Yeah, slow episode. Now the wait starts to see what happens with Carol...

Dragon Tattoo 11-03-13 10:07 PM

http://i.imgur.com/34MogxK.png

Wolf359 11-03-13 10:33 PM

I hope they don't go the route of Carol getting together with the Governor...

johnnysd 11-04-13 12:31 AM

One of the dumber hours of television in a while. Pretty much sub- "Under the Dome" level here. But there were decapitations and gratuitous zombie kills.

Is the word zombie like copyrighted or something? Because no one calling the zombies zombies is flat out ridiculous.

PhantomStranger 11-04-13 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 11895181)
Is the word zombie like copyrighted or something? Because no one calling the zombies zombies is flat out ridiculous.

No, Robert Kirkman has made this world before the zombie apocalypse just like ours with one key difference- they never had zombie films or knew the term existed. Most of the characters act like horror films never existed in any form in the Walking Dead universe.

I don't think it was a wise artistic decision, but he seemed gung-ho about using "walkers" as a term. I guess it was a way to separate this series from every other zombie fiction.

dalbowski 11-04-13 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 11895043)
Chris Jericho should be on Talking Dead every week.

:thumbsup: He was great. Really into the show.

Baron Of Hell 11-04-13 04:21 AM

A episode about holding on to things to tightly and needing to let go. I enjoyed it but found the choice to boot Carol bad. I have a feeling she will be showing up again though.

Now who is feeding those walkers?

hanshotfirst1138 11-04-13 07:25 AM

Uh, guys? Perhaps when there are swarms of zombies below you and trying to get through the window, maybe that isn't the best time to, like, have a conversation? Just, you know, a suggestion. Perhaps you should have an argument when there AREN'T flesh-eating monsters surrounding you. Just saying.

majorjoe23 11-04-13 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 11895181)

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11895187)
No, Robert Kirkman has made this world before the zombie apocalypse just like ours with one key difference- they never had zombie films or knew the term existed. Most of the characters act like horror films never existed in any form in the Walking Dead universe.

I don't think it was a wise artistic decision, but he seemed gung-ho about using "walkers" as a term. I guess it was a way to separate this series from every other zombie fiction.

He's pretty much following the same formula as George Romero, who didn't start using the term zombie until the later, shittier movies.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 (Post 11895259)
Uh, guys? Perhaps when there are swarms of zombies below you and trying to get through the window, maybe that isn't the best time to, like, have a conversation? Just, you know, a suggestion. Perhaps you should have an argument when there AREN'T flesh-eating monsters surrounding you. Just saying.

There was no way for the zombies to get at them where they were. It required a jump from the window for the building zombies, and for the ground ones there seemed to be no way up.

Xiroteus 11-04-13 07:42 AM

So those two people that Rick and Carol ran into that have been going from traveling around since this started end up dying in the almost walker free area of town. That's some bad luck!

chowderhead 11-04-13 07:46 AM

Rick is a terrible leader and sanctimonious as well. He's killed a bunch of people he perceived as threats but Carol cannot off two people who were sick and going to infect others. Carol, Daryl and Michonne should just break off and have their own show of surviving and killing walkers.

Raul3 11-04-13 08:03 AM

:lol:

Rick was right. He knows and he can't keep the secret, other way he will be part of that.
So, he tells everyone that Carol killed those two. What's going to happen? Will everyone congratulate her? Of course not. There may be some people that agree with her and some that don't. And then you have to spend time protecting her from Tyreese. And of course if someone gets a little sick you have to protect them from her. She wasn't apologetic, she really believe she's right.

devilshalo 11-04-13 08:48 AM

So now that Michionne will stop looking for the Gov, will Daryl go out and look for Carol?

Shannon Nutt 11-04-13 08:52 AM

Rick may be getting that ass-kicking that Daryl planned for Bob.

So Merle is okay to have at the prison, but Carol is a threat to Rick's children? Puh-leeeze!

I keep wondering if Daryl and the gang will pass Carol on the highway as they head back to the prison. :)

MScottM 11-04-13 09:24 AM

Carol had the same problem that Shane had. They both dont get it. It isnt about their own individual survival. Shane would do anything up to and including killing others to ensure that he would survive. He may have extendend that to include Lori and Carl. Carol killed others because they were a "potential" threat to the survival of the group so that she could stop the spread before it really got started but anyone with any sense at all would have known that by the time it had killed 2 of the group and infected at least the other two that she killed, that cat was already out of the bag.

Shane would have used the group as a means for his continued survival and would not have hidden it as anything other than that. Carol would use the group the same was but would have constantly "trimmed back" what she saw as the weakest members of the group.

Rick isn't like that at all. From the start he has put himself in the postion of being a defender of the entire group at risk to himself. Not just those that could ensure his survival but the weak also. He seems to realize that it isn't just about the survival of the strongest/fittest. For humanity for come thru this, people cant forget the "humanity" inside themselves.

Carol, for all of the strength that she has developed has forgotten how to be human. She might survive to live into her 80s but in the end, what will she have to show for it? If the sum total of the goal of life is just to live, what is the point? Life is to grow, when you become a "cold blooded machine" as she have become, there is no growth. Even Merle at the end recognized that.

Ask yourself this, when the govenor gunned down all of his people and left only 2 or 3 of his henchmen to take with him, if you were one of those henchmen, would you have gone with him or would you have shot him on the spot? The man had just shown that no one meant anything to him. He had just gunned down 20 people that were more or less loyal to him and you are going to trust that he would not do the same to you in a heartbeat? He is a mad dog that needs to be put down but those guys think that he will keep them alive?

Now, who is more like the Govenor? Shane, Carol or Rick? Pick two. Thats the difference.

Michael Corvin 11-04-13 09:27 AM

:up: Excellent write up Scott.

People like to bitch that episodes like this are boring and nothing happens but it was a great character driven episode. I liked it.

stingermck 11-04-13 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11895397)
:up: Excellent write up Scott.

People like to bitch that episodes like this are boring and nothing happens but it was a great character driven episode. I liked it.

Agreed!

starseed1981 11-04-13 09:34 AM

I enjoyed Jericho on TD much more than this episode of WD.

superdeluxe 11-04-13 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by MScottM (Post 11895389)
Carol had the same problem that Shane had. They both dont get it. It isnt about their own individual survival. Shane would do anything up to and including killing others to ensure that he would survive. He may have extendend that to include Lori and Carl. Carol killed others because they were a "potential" threat to the survival of the group so that she could stop the spread before it really got started but anyone with any sense at all would have known that by the time it had killed 2 of the group and infected at least the other two that she killed, that cat was already out of the bag.

Shane would have used the group as a means for his continued survival and would not have hidden it as anything other than that. Carol would use the group the same was but would have constantly "trimmed back" what she saw as the weakest members of the group.

Rick isn't like that at all. From the start he has put himself in the postion of being a defender of the entire group at risk to himself. Not just those that could ensure his survival but the weak also. He seems to realize that it isn't just about the survival of the strongest/fittest. For humanity for come thru this, people cant forget the "humanity" inside themselves.

Carol, for all of the strength that she has developed has forgotten how to be human. She might survive to live into her 80s but in the end, what will she have to show for it? If the sum total of the goal of life is just to live, what is the point? Life is to grow, when you become a "cold blooded machine" as she have become, there is no growth. Even Merle at the end recognized that.

Ask yourself this, when the govenor gunned down all of his people and left only 2 or 3 of his henchmen to take with him, if you were one of those henchmen, would you have gone with him or would you have shot him on the spot? The man had just shown that no one meant anything to him. He had just gunned down 20 people that were more or less loyal to him and you are going to trust that he would not do the same to you in a heartbeat? He is a mad dog that needs to be put down but those guys think that he will keep them alive?

Now, who is more like the Govenor? Shane, Carol or Rick? Pick two. Thats the difference.

Well done. great post.

Mr. Flix 11-04-13 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11895187)

This makes total sense to me. If vampires suddenly became a reality in our world, one of the first "huh?" reactions would be -- "How did we manage to fictionalize a character before it was a reality?" It would be really strange to create a world (in The Walking Dead) where zombies were known from fiction before they became a reality. It doesn't make sense.

musick 11-04-13 10:51 AM

title of the episode is how I felt about the episode
anyone know what the title to next week's episode is ;)

aktick 11-04-13 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by musick (Post 11895486)
anyone know what the title to next week's episode is ;)

meh

sracer 11-04-13 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Xiroteus (Post 11895276)
So those two people that Rick and Carol ran into that have been going from traveling around since this started end up dying in the almost walker free area of town. That's some bad luck!

I thought that there was more to it than that. Ana's leg looked like it had been chopped off. That made me wonder if Sam pulled a Shane-Otis on Ana.

Rick's character has become so inconsistent in his thinking and actions that it goes beyond credibility. He has become nothing more than a plot device for the writers to do anything unexpected for effect. Episode to episode he has a completely different mindset. He has become a character that I no longer care if he survives the episode.

But other than that, I think this has been a very strong and enjoyable season.

Baron Of Hell 11-04-13 11:38 AM

I think the main mistake Rick made was taking justice in his own hands. They have a council now that he chose not to be a part of. He has no right to decide on his own Carol's punishment. He sent a older lady out on her own in a world zombies and monstrous people. He might as well shot her. When you come down to it they are the same.

MScottM 11-04-13 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 11895233)
Now who is feeding those walkers?

My guess is the girl that thinks they are still quasi-people. She doesn't appear to be too bright. And I don't see a long happy life in her future.

Raul3 11-04-13 11:48 AM

I find really interesting how we are divided in two camps here. I'm in MScottM camp, my wife is actually in the other camp, she really likes Shane and Carol :lol:, I always tell her that when the zombie apocalypse comes, I will run far away from her. :lol:

MScottM 11-04-13 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 11895577)
I think the main mistake Rick made was taking justice in his own hands. They have a council now that he chose not to be a part of. He has no right to decide on his own Carol's punishment. He sent a older lady out on her own in a world zombies and monstrous people. He might as well shot her. When you come down to it they are the same.

I don't see it as Rick taking justice into his own hands. Carol made a dicision to kill people without consulting anyone. Rick told her in no uncertain terms that it isnt a decision that he can live with and he cant wrap his mind around her way of thinking. He knows she did it and he isnt going to want her around to make that kind of decision again. Is he supposed to keep her secret? What if she does something like that again? Is he then responsible for her actions? He told her he didn't want her around. She has a car and knows where the prison is. Is she incapable of driving back to the prison? You make Rick out to be the person that banished her? I see him as a person that has given her the choice of going back and facing what she has done or going on her own and trying to make a life with people that don't know what she is capable of. Hopefully when he gets back to the prison he tells them exactly what happened.

I do know this, Carol's decision was absolutely wrong. It is the equivalent of saying, "gee Daryl, bummer that you broke your leg, I know that you have contributed to the survival of the group ALOT up until this point but instead of loading you into the car and taking you back to the prison to recooperate, we have decided that since you can't contribute RIGHT NOW and since it is possible that a situation may occur where others may have to put themselves at risk to try to help you since your leg is broken, we are just going to shoot you. Thanks for the help in the past."

Makes no sense and is totally counter-productive.

Everyone will at one point or another require help. Carol decided that when those two needed help the most, she would kill them instead. Where does that kind of thinking end?

RocShemp 11-04-13 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 11895233)
found the choice to boot Carol bad.

It bothered me at first but, despite Rick's personal reasons, he's saving Carol. That emo bitch Tyrese isn't gonna let it go until he finds out who killed his girlfriend. And then he'll try to go Hulk smash on her.

Then again, if Rick could take him down, I'm sure Carol could too. :lol:

Troy Stiffler 11-04-13 12:26 PM

You know what bothers me? How come, in the zombie apocalypse, there is so much destroyed drop ceiling? I don't get it. Are people vandalizing drop ceiling? Is that what people do in the apocalypse? The zombies didn't pull it down. There is absolutely no structural integrity to hide up there. Those poor ceiling tiles.

Okay. I'm being nerdy. It doesn't actually bother me. It's an observation. It just doesn't make sense. Regardless of how cool it looks when dressing the set.

TomOpus 11-04-13 12:35 PM

Another :up: to Jericho on TTD. Awesome guest.

I wonder if Carol is going to try to get to the prison before Rick. Either try to turn them against him before he comes back or kill him before he can tell others what she did.

Or maybe she will band up with others and it becomes Team Rick vs Team Carol at the end of S3?

VinVega 11-04-13 12:54 PM

I think Rick did the only humane thing he could do with Carol. That doesn't mean there won't be consequences for his actions though. Daryl is going to be pissed.

dave94 11-04-13 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 11895647)
You know what bothers me? How come, in the zombie apocalypse, there is so much destroyed drop ceiling? I don't get it. Are people vandalizing drop ceiling? Is that what people do in the apocalypse? The zombies didn't pull it down. There is absolutely no structural integrity to hide up there. Those poor ceiling tiles.

Okay. I'm being nerdy. It doesn't actually bother me. It's an observation. It just doesn't make sense. Regardless of how cool it looks when dressing the set.

Leaky roofs after months with no upkeep? Busted sprinkler lines?

Actually, the lack of air conditioning in such a humid environment will do a number on acoustical ceiling tiles for sure.

sracer 11-04-13 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MScottM (Post 11895604)
I don't see it as Rick taking justice into his own hands. Carol made a dicision to kill people without consulting anyone. Rick told her in no uncertain terms that it isnt a decision that he can live with and he cant wrap his mind around her way of thinking. He knows she did it and he isnt going to want her around to make that kind of decision again. Is he supposed to keep her secret? What if she does something like that again? Is he then responsible for her actions? He told her he didn't want her around. She has a car and knows where the prison is. Is she incapable of driving back to the prison? You make Rick out to be the person that banished her? I see him as a person that has given her the choice of going back and facing what she has done or going on her own and trying to make a life with people that don't know what she is capable of. Hopefully when he gets back to the prison he tells them exactly what happened.

Rick absolutely took justice into his own hands. They have a recognized form of government, and Rick is not a leader in that. He didn't consult with the council. He didn't bring her before the council to accuse her of her "crime" and have the council decide what is best. Rick decided what is best for HIM which makes him no different than Carol.

Rick didn't send Carol off in a separate car to imply that she could drive back to the prison. On the contrary, Carol said that she isn't leaving the prison without that little girl and Rick wasn't going to allow that.

I do know this, Carol's decision was absolutely wrong. It is the equivalent of saying, "gee Daryl, bummer that you broke your leg, I know that you have contributed to the survival of the group ALOT up until this point but instead of loading you into the car and taking you back to the prison to recooperate, we have decided that since you can't contribute RIGHT NOW and since it is possible that a situation may occur where others may have to put themselves at risk to try to help you since your leg is broken, we are just going to shoot you. Thanks for the help in the past."

Carol's decision was about as wrong as Carl's was to kill that kid last season. To believe that in this post-apocalyptic world there is such a thing as "absolutely wrong" or "absolutely right" is to miss what has been going on through the entire series.

When Rick decided to play farmer Ted and step away from the burden of leadership, he also stepped away from his option to exercise his free will. He can't pick and choose when he decides to submit to the authority of the council.

Jacoby Ellsbury 11-04-13 01:16 PM

I don't see that analogy, more like Daryl has AIDS and won't stop banging everyone or maybe alcoholic black dude keeps getting drunk and wanders outside the gates leaving them unlocked and letting zombies in. Carol killed those two to try to protect the rest of the camp from catching the disease. Not like she killed two people at random because of a water shortage or something. A little extreme decision making and to determine the outcome on her own makes her a little dangerous, but she has a good argument for doing what she did I think.

Baron Of Hell 11-04-13 01:16 PM

Ghosts could be messing with ceiling or maybe BigFoot.

Jacoby Ellsbury 11-04-13 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11895627)
Then again, if Rick could take him down, I'm sure Carol could too. :lol:

Daryl was holding Ty at that moment when Rick got his first licks in. Rick got tossed around when it was mano y mano