DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Walking Dead -- "Indifference" -- 11/03/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/614912-walking-dead-indifference-11-03-13-a.html)

TomOpus 11-06-13 04:05 PM

Re: The Walking Dead -- "Indifference" -- 11/03/13

Originally Posted by TimeandTide (Post 11898847)
And how did that gas station get so thoroughly covered in vines and shit?

Ever been to the south? Kudzu is taking over little by little. Grows fast and grows on everything.

Josh-da-man 11-06-13 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 11898851)
That all makes pretty good sense except i cant see a little girl being strong enough to drag around adult bodies

Carol would have dragged the bodies out and burned them after stumbling on Lizzie killing them.

But I agree that it seems pretty definite that Carol did what she said she did after the last episode; it was my theory that Lizzie did it and Carol covered up for her when she confessed in episode 3. The discussion between Carol and Rick seemed pretty definitive and fit in with the themes they've been building.

Still seems kind of weird that Carol would murder two people who were already dying. It's probably not going to stop the spread of the disease since so many people have been exposed and they probably have very little in the way of infection control in the prison. It could be moving through the food supply, water supply, or from contact (door knobs, tools, etc).

She also could just told Rick and everyone else that they died, she stabbed them before they zombied, and then burned the bodies as a precaution. And saved herself and everyone else a lot of grief. :shrug:

Jacoby Ellsbury 11-06-13 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide (Post 11898847)

And how did that gas station get so thoroughly covered in vines and shit?

And the lawns in that neighborhood they were in were not all that high, some trash strewn about but nice lush green lawns

Tom Banjo 11-06-13 07:56 PM

In the south, kudzu can grow almost a foot a day, no exaggeration. It's the bane of my existence.

Baron Of Hell 11-06-13 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury (Post 11899095)
And the lawns in that neighborhood they were in were not all that high, some trash strewn about but nice lush green lawns

Zombies can mow lawns.

RocShemp 11-06-13 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 11899308)
Zombies can mow lawns.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__...wer_Zombie.jpg

andicus 11-07-13 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury (Post 11899095)

And very few weeds in the garden. Mine would go crazy, left unattended.

The other thing that had me cringing was Darryl smoking while tending to the battery. That's an explosion waiting to happen, especially with the covers open.

d2cheer 11-07-13 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 11899392)
And very few weeds in the garden. Mine would go crazy, left unattended.

The other thing that had me cringing was Darryl smoking while tending to the battery. That's an explosion waiting to happen, especially with the covers open.

:lol: You have apparently never seen old school mechanics. My grandpa smoked at least 2 packs a day working as a mechanic. He always had a smoke going when working on an engine. In those days carburetors were open when you took the air filter off and had gas in them. Nothing ever happened. I am not saying it was not foolish but your explosion waiting to happen is not as great as you think.

unclezippy 11-07-13 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 11899619)
:lol: You have apparently never seen old school mechanics. My grandpa smoked at least 2 packs a day working as a mechanic. He always had a smoke going when working on an engine. In those days carburetors were open when you took the air filter off and had gas in them. Nothing ever happened. I am not saying it was not foolish but your explosion waiting to happen is not as great as you think.

Rather than the gasoline, he might have been referring to the copious volumes of HYDROGEN GAS often generated by lead-acid car batteries (at least that's what was made me cringe). I can't remember the last time I saw a new-issue 12V battery with filler caps.

andicus 11-07-13 10:09 AM

As unclezippy said, it's the hydrogen gas that is the concern.

RocShemp 11-07-13 10:49 AM

These characters clearly live in an alternate universe where the normal laws of physics and chemistry do not apply. A single walker can tear you to shreds but falls apart at the slightest hit. Gasoline has an unlimited shelf life. Water is tightly rationed but there's enough so that the cars are usually spotless. Lawn does not need to be mowed but vines will swallow the earth.

Jules Winfield 11-07-13 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11899777)
These characters clearly live in an alternate universe where the normal laws of physics and chemistry do not apply.

Yeah, it's called Television.

Baron Of Hell 11-07-13 12:08 PM

Oh like Pleasantville. I love that movie.

Bill Needle 11-07-13 01:52 PM

And a thousand people each killing 100 walkers a day working 6 days a week (Sundays off), from 9 to 5 with an hour off for lunch and swinging once every 5 minutes would exterminate every walker in the country in under 10 years, even assuming every other human had turned. As I've said before after the first few weeks the hardest part would be finding enough walkers to fill your quota.

If Homo sapiens are good at one thing, it's killing other things. We're so good at it that we've made entire other species cease to exist without even trying. Remember, the whole reason hunting licenses exist is to limit the number of animals you're allowed to kill, because if you just declared free reign for everybody with a gun, everything in the forest would be dead by sundown.

Plus, if we look at zombies as a species, they are pretty much designed for failure. Their main form of reproduction is also their only source of food and their top predator. If they want to eat or reproduce, they have to go toe to toe with their number one predator every single time. That's like having to fight a lion every time you to want to have sex or make a sandwich.
If walkers want to exist they have to take the good with the bad. So no battery acid bombs. Smoke up Daryl!

chess 11-07-13 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by chowderhead (Post 11895286)
Rick is a terrible leader and sanctimonious as well. He's killed a bunch of people he perceived as threats but Carol cannot off two people who were sick and going to infect others. Carol, Daryl and Michonne should just break off and have their own show of surviving and killing walkers.

I would watch and love this show. Glenn can come too.

GreenMonkey 11-07-13 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Preterite (Post 11896563)
No, she just manipulated two hapless kids into getting themselves killed so that the prison group wouldn't be "burdened" with them. And afterwards she showed more remorse over the lost watch than two dead human beings.

That was very clearly the deciding factor for Rick - Carol's obsession with "strength", her disturbingly broad definition of what constitutes a threat to the group, and her demonstrated willingness to take actions into her own hands made it clear she wasn't safe to have around any more.

I was totally going with this theory until tonight's episode. It just makes so much more sense narratively speaking - the scenes with Carol teaching the kids to kill doesn't do as good of a job at showing Carol's new hardcore attitude as it does showing us the kids know how to finish off someone who is dead or dying - and was much more in character for Carol, who was always compassionate up until Sunday night.

And this ep they clearly showed a flashback shot of Carol sticking the knife into the back of someone's head and dragging off the body to be burned.

It's pretty clear cut. It was Carol. Let's not go all Lost-style-clues-overkill here analyzing it.

Carol was clearly out of line killing the sick/weak to save the others. Extrapolate that out. You can't trust someone that will do that behind everyone's backs. You can't murder the sick and the weak for the good of the group, even just once in a while.

Plus, it was an overstep and relied on a lot of assumptions. You should be pretty damn sure before murdering a couple of sick, helpless people that you're doing what was necessary. Even if it had stopped the sickness, it still probably wouldn't have been the right thing to do. The right thing was to lock them away from everyone else (which they did with the others, now).

I saw Rick's informal exile of Carol to be both taking judgment/leadership into his own hands, and saving Carol's life at the same time.

Giantrobo 11-07-13 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey (Post 11900333)
And this ep they clearly showed a flashback shot of Carol sticking the knife into the back of someone's head and dragging off the body to be burned.

It's pretty clear cut. It was Carol. Let's not go all Lost-style-clues-overkill here analyzing it.

Carol was clearly out of line killing the sick/weak to save the others. Extrapolate that out. You can't trust someone that will do that behind everyone's backs. You can't murder the sick and the weak for the good of the group, even just once in a while.

Plus, it was an overstep and relied on a lot of assumptions. You should be pretty damn sure before murdering a couple of sick, helpless people that you're doing what was necessary. Even if it had stopped the sickness, it still probably wouldn't have been the right thing to do. The right thing was to lock them away from everyone else (which they did with the others, now).

I saw Rick's informal exile of Carol to be both taking judgment/leadership into his own hands, and saving Carol's life at the same time.

It was Rick being a Detective and visualizing the "crime". What if it was just what Rick's mind came up with with the little bit of evidence given, but not what really happened?

For the record, I believe she did it. Just speculating...

fumanstan 11-07-13 03:35 PM

Hated Rick kicking Carol out in the manner that he did. It didn't feel like something Rick would do to me, especially without the decision of others in the group. I do really enjoy Carol's character arc and how she's evolved over time quite a bit though.

Darryl's reaction was pretty ridiculous too, and probably one of the dumbest posturing i've seen on the show. Can't believe they actually had the actors do that.

dalbowski 11-07-13 06:31 PM

I think Rick made his decision because Carol no longer had "correct" answers to the three questions.

Preterite 11-08-13 01:03 PM

For the record, the correct answers to the questions are:

1) (z2-z3)^2 = 4(z3-z1)(z1-z2) sin^2 alpha/2.
2) A cat choking on a potato.
3) Your mom.

Rocketdog2000 11-08-13 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 11900357)
It was Rick being a Detective and visualizing the "crime". What if it was just what Rick's mind came up with with the little bit of evidence given, but not what really happened?

For the record, I believe she did it. Just speculating...

I'm in agreement with you on both counts, as I had been thinking the same thing. I also got that what we saw was Rick imagining the way it went down with Carol killing the others, not neccessarily what had actually happened. It could be seen either way, though. The only thing that puts it squarely on it truly being Carol who killed them is her own admission of the act, being made several times over, and her trying to justify it.

Here's one other thing to ponder, though. For those who watch "Talking Dead" after the episode, notice that there wasn't one of the show runners on to clarify what was just seen? Usually, in a case like this, there is. Suppose Rick get's back to the prison and after he informs the others about Carol, and Lizzie actually admits to the killing of the pair, and says Carol was just covering for her? Then Rick has truly banished her for naught, and it still opens up a whole mess of drama for them to deal with. Again, pure speculation that likely isn't right, but still could be a possibility.

Spoiler:
One last bit regarding "Talking Dead", too. They announced next week's episode was going to have a 'surprise guest'. In the past, this has usually meant that the death of one of the cast, as the are usually the guest in question. Not always, but usually. Thoughts on that?

d2cheer 11-08-13 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000 (Post 11901685)
I also got that what we saw was Rick imagining the way it went down with Carol killing the others, not neccessarily what had actually happened. It could be seen either way,

It could not have been more "clear" other than Rick turning to the camera and saying out loud..."And that is how I imagined Carol killing those two people"

Groucho 11-08-13 03:17 PM

I wish Rick would turn to the camera and explain the obvious more often.

Preterite 11-08-13 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11901868)
I wish Rick would turn to the camera and explain the obvious more often.

"That there? That's bad writing."

Rocketdog2000 11-08-13 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 11901864)
It could not have been more "clear" other than Rick turning to the camera and saying out loud..."And that is how I imagined Carol killing those two people"

Not true. I (and not just me) obliviously thought it was fairly ambiguous. I've watched the episode at least three tomes over now, and it still comes off that way to me. Actually, the only way it would have been more clear is if they had instead shown the flashbacks as Carol explained how she had killed them. Instead they showed it in a way that left it a bit open to interpretation. You don't have to agree with me, but it doesn't necessarily make me wrong, either.