Homeland - "Tower of David" - 10/13/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Homeland - "Tower of David" - 10/13/13

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I cant believe i wasted my "time for one show on sunday night" on this
I missed the first half of Redskins/Cowboys and the first few innings of RedSox/Tigers because I love Homeland so much. Homeland is not a must-see for me on Sunday night anymore, as its now just another DVR show that I will catch up with when I have time.
Old 10-14-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was ok with this episode. I felt that it showed the hell that both these characters are presently in.
Old 10-14-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Hey you all need to respect the dead.

This episode was written by one of the Homeland staff writers Henry Bromell, who died before season 3 began production. He was with the show since season 1.
Old 10-14-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They needed to edit all the Brody stuff in this episode into the first two episodes.
Old 10-14-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Didn't think I'd say this, but I'm missing Dexter right about now.
Lets not go overboard now.
Old 10-14-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Who is playing the doctor? Seems really familiar.
The medical examiner from the Wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Dellums
Old 10-14-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

three dog ooowwwww
Old 10-14-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
They needed to edit all the Brody stuff in this episode into the first two episodes.
yeah, I think it would have been better in smaller chunks
Old 10-14-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Painful episode.

Maybe I missed it because I almost slipped into a coma watching this, but why are they actually keeping Brody locked up? They don't want to turn him in a collect an easy 10 mill., and he knows Carrie... is he doing Carrie a favor by holding/protecting him from someone going after the bounty? Because they seem to be making him a prisoner. And the Heroin? Trying to get him addicted to make him do what they want? I'm not really following the motivation here.

I really hope this gets better.
Old 10-14-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority here but I liked the episode. I was never bored with it. I like the characters and it's interesting to me to see them at their lowest.
Old 10-15-13, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it, too. Well, decently enough. Surprisingly, I liked the Carrie segments more.

Brody just seems like a little bitch. "I can't stay here!" He's the most wanted man in the world. He's lucky he's fucking alive at this point, let alone allowed to go outside.
Old 10-15-13, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I've always thought the show was most engaging when Brody and Carrie are together in scenes. That can't really happen now.

They might have written Brody out after Season 1........except for the whole Emmy winner thing and all that.

I'll finish out this season, but what a disappointment after a tremendous Season 1.

I know one of the writers left to do The Bridge, which I really liked. I wonder how many of the other good writers left for a bigger check etc.
Old 10-15-13, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I've always thought the show was most engaging when Brody and Carrie are together in scenes. That can't really happen now.

They might have written Brody out after Season 1........except for the whole Emmy winner thing and all that.

I'll finish out this season, but what a disappointment after a tremendous Season 1.

I know one of the writers left to do The Bridge, which I really liked. I wonder how many of the other good writers left for a bigger check etc.
The 6 person writing staff that wrote season 1 is pretty much gone.

Howard Gordon, Alex Gansa and Chip Johannssen are the only ones left from season 1.

Meredith Stiehm left to do The Bridge, Alex Cary left to do Legends on TNT and Henry Bromell, as I said earlier, died.

They hired 2 new writers. One worked on Homicide Life on the Street and the other worked on Joan of Arcadia & Judging Amy.
Old 10-15-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Who ever the Latina actress is that helps him might be one of the hottest women I've ever seen. No way Brody doesn't get it.
She look like Catherine Zeta Jones.
Old 10-15-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Luther Mahoney!
The episode was directed by Clark Johnson, who played Lewis on Homicide.
Old 10-15-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL the comments here are better than the episode.

Still, I didn't hate this episode as much as most of you.
Old 10-15-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I kind of was falling asleep at the end. did Brody eventually take the heroin?
Old 10-15-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he gave it to himself after all was said and done. To be honest I wasn't really paying attention at that point. The show lost me earlier with the random cut scene to Carrie in the hospital again. It completely took me out of the moment since they had focused what felt like nearly half the episode until that point only on Brody and only just then decided "Hey, maybe we're focusing too much here. Let's show something else". I don't think that "subplot" fit in to the context of the episode at all.

Like others have echoed, this should have been interjected in to the other episodes instead. Replace all of that Brody family bullshit, and just focus on the Carrie situation and then Brody in Venezuela.

Overall it's a very disappointing season so far. It's a completely different show. I didn't dislike Season 2 as much as everyone else but the first three episodes so far have been pretty bad.
Old 10-15-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I enjoyed it too. All due respect to all our wonderful community members here, but I think some of you sometimes become a bit too cynical and nitpicky and it doesn't come off as constructive or opinion-focused. It comes off as mean spirited and obnoxious.

No matter how much you guys were "bored" with this weeks' episode, you have to admit it's still miles better than probably 75% of anything on traditional network television. Obviously, that depends on individual tastes but if you've been watching Homeland from the beginning and the direction this season is taking is bothering you THIS much...what shows are you watching that never falter, miss a step or disappoint? I'd really like to know so I can set my DVR.
Old 10-15-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I enjoyed it too. All due respect to all our wonderful community members here, but I think some of you sometimes become a bit too cynical and nitpicky and it doesn't come off as constructive or opinion-focused. It comes off as mean spirited and obnoxious.

No matter how much you guys were "bored" with this weeks' episode, you have to admit it's still miles better than probably 75% of anything on traditional network television. Obviously, that depends on individual tastes but if you've been watching Homeland from the beginning and the direction this season is taking is bothering you THIS much...what shows are you watching that never falter, miss a step or disappoint? I'd really like to know so I can set my DVR.
Breaking Bad.

I don't mind watching some shows just for entertainment but I kinda have to like at least ONE of the characters. In the first episode of this season, I was reminded that there really isn't anyone on Homeland that I particularly like anymore.
Old 10-15-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. And Carrie requested her lithium. Basically the two characters locked in their own type of prison and resigning themselves to their medication. It would be nice if we were done w/ Brody.
Old 10-15-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Game of Thrones.

I do sort of admire the effort to put together a stand-alone, change-of-pace episode. I just think that while that approach worked extremely well with two previous episodes : "The Weekend" and "Q&A", it produced a sort of miserable and sorta boring episode here.
Old 10-15-13, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by badlieut
Yep. And Carrie requested her lithium. Basically the two characters locked in their own type of prison and resigning themselves to their medication. It would be nice if we were done w/ Brody.
That appeared to be the message the show wanted to send. That each were fighting their own demons and the parallel was strong. If played right this could be woven into a powerful setup when each gains their release.
I liked the episode. There have been better and maybe some on the same level but then I DVR nearly everything not sports so I'm not as put out missing something else.
Old 10-15-13, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
No matter how much you guys were "bored" with this weeks' episode, you have to admit it's still miles better than probably 75% of anything on traditional network television.
After the first episode, I saw a comment on how this is still better than 90% of anything else on TV. After last week's episode, I heard 80%. So it seems like everyone is on the right path.
Old 10-15-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

The "parallel" theme was overly obvious. This ep was brutal, and the season still appears to have no real plotline (at least not one that's remotely interesting).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.