TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Homeland - "Tower of David" - 10/13/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Homeland - "Tower of David" - 10/13/13

Originally Posted by RUSF18
After the first episode, I saw a comment on how this is still better than 90% of anything else on TV. After last week's episode, I heard 80%. So it seems like everyone is on the right path.

If I go to my favorite restaurant, order my usual dish and it ends up tasting awful, I don't think I'd be okay with it simply because it's better than 80% of the food available everywhere on earth. If I'm expecting a Filet Mignon, that's what I want to get.
Old 10-15-13, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anything this episode made me research the actual 'Tower of David'. What a fascinating and depressing place. But a place people have made a home and are actually better off compared to those living on the street.
Old 10-15-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The episode was directed by Clark Johnson, who played Lewis on Homicide.
Yep, I saw that. He's made quite a career as a director.
Old 10-15-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Luther Mahoney! Thats who the doctor was.

Luther was the bad guy for a season in Homicide:LOTS.

(The Clark Johnson comment sparked my memory)

D
Old 10-15-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by klemsaba
If anything this episode made me research the actual 'Tower of David'. What a fascinating and depressing place. But a place people have made a home and are actually better off compared to those living on the street.
I also looked into it, interesting story. I watched a clip on youtube, loved seeing a guy who has cleaned up his place pretty well, and has a flat screen tv..

not bad for a squatter.
Old 10-16-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Once again I am in the minority. I enjoyed this one. Very interested to see where this ends up
Old 10-16-13, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Decker

If I go to my favorite restaurant, order my usual dish and it ends up tasting awful, I don't think I'd be okay with it simply because it's better than 80% of the food available everywhere on earth. If I'm expecting a Filet Mignon, that's what I want to get.
So are you the type of person that because the steak that he orders all the time, comes out, and for the first time doesn't quite live up to your expectations, condemns the restaraunt?
Old 10-16-13, 02:43 PM

Were we supposed to take away that the creepy doctor was some kind of child perv. too? Seemed to be some touches / glances etc.
Old 10-16-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere that he was a pedo. But I'm not sure, maybe I missed some dialogue?
Old 10-16-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
Once again I am in the minority. I enjoyed this one. Very interested to see where this ends up
I'm with you. I think it's been an entertaining season so far with minimal eye rolling on my part. I thought the scene with Dana and her Mom in the bathroom was terrific.
Old 10-16-13, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by metman86
So are you the type of person that because the steak that he orders all the time, comes out, and for the first time doesn't quite live up to your expectations, condemns the restaraunt?
Won't answer for him, but if I go into a brand new steakhouse, and they make one of the best steaks I've ever had, and then continue to deliver amazing steaks to me in a way that I didn't see coming, so much so that I couldn't wait to get that steak again during my next visit...I'd be pretty disappointed when they started serving me a standard chicken dish, while their meat purveyor has stopped taking their calls and it appears with 95% certainty that those steaks aren't coming back.
Old 10-16-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I read somewhere that he was a pedo. But I'm not sure, maybe I missed some dialogue?
Yeah, he said something about "people like us", as in marginalized and looked-down on. Ooh, a pedophile, so edgy, Showtime...

What's up with Showtime and their shows having great first seasons, but deteriorating to nonsense soon after? [Homeland, Dexter, Weeds, Californication, etc.]
Old 10-16-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I do find it interesting that everyone was so down on Season 2, which I just finished last month without the benefit of any real-time episode feedback. I thought the first half of S2 was pretty spectacular leading up to "New Car Smell" and "Q & A" which I thought were as good as any 2 consecutive hours of TV I've seen in years. Yeah it petered out a bit after that (though adding Peter Quinn was a huge bonus), with the hit & run storyline bordering on excruciating. And yes the remote controlled heart attack was beyond absurd. Still it ended on a real high note I never saw coming. So I was pretty shocked at the vitriol season 2 is getting around here.
Having said all that, I am surprised that Season 3 has been so disappointing to me so far and I'm a little surprised that anyone really wants to defend what we've seen these past two episodes. I'm still hoping they turn things around quickly and get back to being an entertaining and fascinating show, though I'm not too optimistic about that happening.
Old 10-17-13, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I think season 3 has been entertaining so far. But, the problem with Homeland is they set the bar so high for it creatively in season 1. Pretty much all 12 episodes were fantastic. With the multiple Emmy awards and a very fresh storyline that I think expectations for this show were extremely high for seasons 2 and 3. Maybe for a lot of people in this forum, the show peaked in the season 1 finale.

The show has gone through some transition in the last 2 seasons with writers leaving and new ones coming in. Honestly, IMO this show is a really difficult premise to write 12 hours per year for.

Alex Gansa is essentially the solo showrunner & head writer now since Howard Gordon is currently working on 24, Legends, and Tyrant.