Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead -- Season Premiere -- "30 Days Without an Accident" -- 10/13/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- Season Premiere -- "30 Days Without an Accident" -- 10/13/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Walking Dead -- Season Premiere -- "30 Days Without an Accident" -- 10/13/13

Plot hole of the week: You have a sick pig in your livestock pen and you don't know what's wrong with it. Could be serious. And yet you don't mention it to Hershel, who's a VETERINARIAN!
Old 10-13-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- Season Premiere -- "30 Days Without an Accident" -- 10/13/13

This episode was generally creepy and unnerving. I freaking loved it!
Old 10-14-13, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Plot hole of the week: You have a sick pig in your livestock pen and you don't know what's wrong with it. Could be serious. And yet you don't mention it to Hershel, who's a VETERINARIAN!
They have probably forget that. Season not off to a good start at all, and once again we get the prison. Guess it still has not paid for itself. I do like the concept of it being airborne or contagious but I doubt they will do anything interesting with it. The scene in the store was ludicrous on about a million levels. Forget the roof caving in at that exact moment contrivance, but we are also supposed to believe a major department store has gone completely unlooted for what 2 or 3 years at this point? But it was a convenient plot point and "cool" so let's just throw it in. Glad to see gas is still in easy supply.
Old 10-14-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
This bugged the living shit out of me. Not only do they not mention it to the vet, they leave the sick pig in the pen to continue to nurse the piglets. Survive the apocalypse, Rick. (Yeh, just saying that that didn't work so well for the pig.)

Other than that, I thought the episode was pretty solid. I thought whatever killed pig (and Wonder Years Paul) was just an illness, not some new mutation of the zombie infection. While sanitation appeared pretty decent, the massive influx of people had to have put a strain on their ability to dispose of waste, disinfect everything, etc. The kid's eyes and the eyes of the zombie Rick was staring at we're not the same. The zombie's eyes had been (possibly) scratched out hence the bloody "tears." The kid's face was bloody from falling down face first (which he didn't, but whatever).

I didn't have an issue with the "doc"/field medic going along on the run; he is former military with a valuable skill so it made sense to me. I was trying to figure out if he is supposed to be a recovering alcoholic though ...

The Irish chick was just freaky. I was utterly convinced she was some sort of half-zombie mutation. Well done. But why didn't Rick kill the husband? Was it supposed to be just a head or was he whole zombie in the bag?

Did anybody else catch the fact that Rick is not a part of "The Council"?
Old 10-14-13, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I loved how everyone was getting some sort of story and branched out. I don't really see a point in leaving the farm as they already covered why they won't leave. People need to get over that. Even dying, I'd still like to be the boy that got to kiss Emily Kinney. Much luckier than the guy who looks like Paul on the Wonder Years as someone mentioned. Bummer he's dead as he seemed like a good friend for Carl, who is surprisingly, wasn't annoying in this episode. Crazy woman was a nice touch, just wish we got to see the husband. I do wonder how much time passed between the last episode and today as they seem to have gotten things back on track and no mention of the Governor (maybe he shows up at the end of the first half?). And the guy trapped under the shelf of beer...he looks like someone who has been around movies or TV for a while. Not sure where, but wonder what his story is as he seems to struggle with drinking.
Old 10-14-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's definitely in the water. At the start of the show, the camera lingered on the barrel of water before Rick washed his face and went out to garden. Then we see him glance over at the weird-eyed zombie. And, of course, we have the sick boy coughing all over the shower water with him dying in the shower and the water spraying and dripping. Too many visuals implicating the water supply. Maybe water was the source of the initial infection.

It appears to be a type of flu... coughing, sweating, fever, nausea and it's no coincidence that the pig died. With all the swine flu news that we've been exposed to in the last few years in real-life, I think we're meant to assume it's a new flu virus being spread between swine/people. I totally agree about Herschel... how can you not tell the VET ???

The following is total conjecture, but I put it in spoilers anyway...

Spoiler:
I wonder if this is the first step in a possible solution (of sorts) to the zombie infection. Maybe this virus changes the current virus to a new one (still lethal) as a step toward the end of the zombies when the series finally comes to an end. If the virus continues to mutate, it could finally mutate itself into harmlessness.. voila, end plague!
Old 10-14-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deangelo!

Why the hell was everyone sitting on their thumbs when red shirt got eaten in the big lots? That whole sequence was a little ridiculous, even for this show.

Finally think I'm passing the point where I overlook the shows faults because I enjoy it enough, to where I just don't enjoy it that much.

Last edited by Matt925; 10-14-13 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-14-13, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thought it was a pretty good start to a new season. Glad they gave samurai girl some lines. The mute thing was getting old. The store scene was cool with the zombie raining down.

Harry Potter' s death was interesting because it happen so fast. Makes me think that he was poisoned or maybe a dead guy got in the water.

I'm hoping someone said something about the pig to the vet off camera.

Teaching kids to use weapons without the parents permission seems like a bad idea.
Old 10-14-13, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere but if you go back and look at the S4 trailer, there's a scene that looks like it's in a hospital where every zombie coming out looks like they had blood running from their eyes. A continuing part of this episode I'm sure.
Old 10-14-13, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
And the guy trapped under the shelf of beer...he looks like someone who has been around movies or TV for a while.
He was on the wire. d'angelo, Avon Barksdale's nephew.
Old 10-14-13, 07:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This episode should have been titled "What about Bob?"
Old 10-14-13, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Preface: I love this show, and I thought last season was a strong season.

This episode was the worst. The writing and dialogue seemed off and frankly kind of stupid in spots, and if you watched the 8 minute preview thing, the rest of the season seems to be a "treading water" season as well (think of the farm season).

It doesn't help that Breaking Bad just ended, because it's not a favorable contrast in terms of writing or acting, and it also doesn't help that I just finished playing The Last of Us, which is a far superior take on a similar subject matter.

Disappointed.
Old 10-14-13, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

The real mystery of the first episode is how Rick is powering his iPod - those babies don't take batteries, so he much be charging it through something...which would seem like a waste of vital power if he is.

He's probably charging it in the same room that holds the unlimited supply of gasoline.
Old 10-14-13, 08:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The real mystery of the first episode is how Rick is powering his iPod - those babies don't take batteries, so he much be charging it through something...which would seem like a waste of vital power if he is.
Probably the same power source he's going to use to charge that razor.
Old 10-14-13, 08:15 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I liked this episode. It was interesting to see how they solved a number of problems over the past 7 months. They have a farm, they have some livestock, they've solved water issues, they have some improvised electrical power, they've reclaimed the front grass yard of the prison, they've mended the main gate with an improvised gate.

Spoiler:
I do think the infection issue is in the water. I also think they are being poisoned intentionally. Michonne is going all the way to Macon to find the Governor, but he's right in their back yard, poisoning their water. That's my guess.

The biggest issue I worried about with all those people in a confined place was what happens if one dies, turns and starts a zombie outbreak inside the walls? It looks like we're going to find out in the next several episodes.
Old 10-14-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Did we see that it was an ipod? I assumed it was a tape player or something.

Herchel not dealing with the pig did bother me, but when we first saw it was sick I thought "It will be thought to walk through that pig slop with a peg leg." Maybe Herchel decided he didn't want to fall down.
Old 10-14-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bad start.

The zombie rain kinda bugged me. If the weight of the zombies on the roof caused it's collapse, then their should have been one large hole that the zombies fell into. Instead we got them falling through individual holes. Just seemed kind of ridiculous and took me out of the moment.
Old 10-14-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ayre
The zombie rain kinda bugged me. If the weight of the zombies on the roof caused it's collapse, then their should have been one large hole that the zombies fell into. Instead we got them falling through individual holes. Just seemed kind of ridiculous and took me out of the moment.
One of many stupid moments in this episode along with the pig, the wine shelf falling over for no reason, reading by flashlight, iPods, and the notion that crazy girl would have survived or could have gotten the jump on Rick.

That sick kid's dialogue was also embarrassing.

What was the buried pistol in the intro about? Did I miss something?
Old 10-14-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Really liked this episode. The supermarket scene was awesome.
Old 10-14-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Did we see that it was an ipod? I assumed it was a tape player or something.
Battery powered or not, it's a waste of resources...if Rick wants music, he should just have Beth sing to him.
Old 10-14-13, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Glad to see gas is still in easy supply.
Hyundai is supporting this Season. Expect to see plenty of their cars!
Old 10-14-13, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Battery powered or not, it's a waste of resources...if Rick wants music, he should just have Beth sing to him.
maybe they have a car a charger and he has Darrell plug it in when he runs to the supermarket for some formula.
Old 10-14-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please no pre-teen romance bullshit between Carl and the girl who names the zombies.
Old 10-14-13, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by chess

What was the buried pistol in the intro about? Did I miss something?
I dont think anyone has really been able to explain this yet, but I wondered if since no one seems to be supposed to have guns, someone buried some in case they need them in a pinch...or maybe it was supposed to represent a change in how they survive...the gun fell there during a battle...the gun was the seed that their transient, violent life grew from, but now they have replaced it with carrots.

Like the bone that turned into a spaceship in 2001.
Old 10-14-13, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Please no pre-teen romance bullshit between Carl and the girl who names the zombies.
I think Carl might be more likely to shoot her than crush on her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.