Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sleepy Hollow -- "For the Triumph of Evil" -- 9/30/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: Sleepy Hollow -- "For the Triumph of Evil" -- 9/30/13

For me, I don't want to watch similar storylines between Grimm and Sleepy Hollow (fairytale/mythology storylines)
Old 10-03-13, 12:52 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

And the first pickup for a new series this fall goes to — Fox’s drama Sleepy Hollow. But instead of the standard back 9 order, the adventure series is getting a second season renewal for at least 13 episodes. Sleepy Hollow is part of Fox’s strategy for shorter, largely uninterrupted, cable-style runs. It was designed to air its 13-episode first season in the fall before another drama series ordered under the same template, The Following, returns in the Monday 9 PM hour, likely in January. Given the success of Sleepy Hollow, it probably was tempting to try and extend its freshman season to the standard 22 episodes, but Fox brass stuck with their original plan. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who co-created Sleepy Hollow with pilot’s director Len Wiseman and Phillip Iscove but are now under an overall deal at CBS TV Studios, are on board for Season 2. Also coming back is Mark Goffman, who joined after the pilot as an executive producer assisting Kurtzman and Orci with showrunning duties. “The show has proven to be a risk well worth taking – it’s a conceptual blast unlike anything else on television and it all holds together with inventive writing and a fantastic cast,” said Fox chairman Kevin Reilly. Sleepy Hollow, a new take on the tale of the Headless Horseman, has been one of the biggest success stories this fall, not only because of its strong premiere numbers but because of its consistency, opening with a 3.4 18-49 rating and, three weeks in, still staying above the 3 ratings threshold in live viewing (3.0). The series, from K/O Paper Products and 20th Century Fox TV, also is a huge DVR draw, earning a 5.0/13 rating among Adults 18-49 and 13.6 million viewers for the premiere in Live+3, making it Fox’s most successful fall drama premiere since the debut of 24 in November 2001. With its encore, post-three-day playback on DVR and VOD and streaming, the Sleepy Hollow premiere has drawn an audience of more than 22 million to date. The series is executive produced by Kurtzman, Orci, Wiseman, Goffman, series director Ken Olin and Heather Kadin, with Iscove serving as supervising producer.
Old 10-03-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Wow, renewed already. That was fast.

Glad they are sticking with the 13 episode format.

Wonder how many people who "Bailed" will now say, oh I'll catch up on BD or Netflix.

Or better yet if they will change their minds now.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-03-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-03-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoy this one, I like the "pseudo-historical" aspect of it. just wished it was used more but that it didn't have the whole moster of the week issue. sandman and the witch last week. that could get monotonous.
Old 10-03-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Good news
Old 10-03-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, renewed already. That was fast.

Glad they are sticking with the 13 episode format.

Wonder how many people who "Bailed" will now say, oh I'll catch up on BD or Netflix.

Or better yet if they will change their minds now.
It was renewed when the second episode got decent ratings. Network executives believe that announcing a show is being renewed solidifies the ratings and shores up viewer loss. It has to be done in a world of DVRs and hundreds of channels.

Expect to see this series also hit Blu-ray.
Old 10-03-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great news..I know people tend to bail on shows early because they don't want to get invested for a show that gets cancelled. Well there ya go!

I know it gets compared to Grimm a ton, but to me they feel slightly different. I can't quite put a finger on it.
Old 10-03-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Since it is getting a second season I wonder if Crane will ever get new clothes or at least wash the ones he has been wearing for 250 years. He can't smell that great.
Old 10-03-13, 03:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Since it is getting a second season I wonder if Crane will ever get new clothes or at least wash the ones he has been wearing for 250 years. He can't smell that great.
it's a show that involves a headless horseman. i don't think new clothes or going to the bathroom is the focal point.

Spoiler:
Old 10-03-13, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Paff
Precisely. There's already a glut of police procedurals, with a straight-laced cop (but with a mysterious past) and an eccentric new partner. Once Sleepy Hollow revealed its stripes in the second episode that it's just another procedural, I tuned right out. It became the first show of the new season to get deleted from my DVR, even before Dads (which is on life support, hanging on solely due to the impossible hotness of Brenda Song).
This is how I feel. If there isn't one procedural it's another. I'm fine with mysterious characters and the whole mythology thing, but I don't like this kind of case-by-the-week or monster-by-the week kind of deal. It's too monotonous! And I realize that they probably don't want to "wear out the welcome" of the Headless Horseman, but I think it's ridiculous to let episodes go by without even really mentioning him let alone showing him in some way. He's probably the most pivotal character to the entire tale of Sleepy Hollow. I'll wait for season 2 to take another look, if it's more of the same, I'll walk away again.
Old 10-03-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you just did all mythology stuff all the time, you will run out of ideas in 12 episodes or it gets all sorts of convoluted like LOST. Grimm had the perfect balance of Monster of the week, mixed in bits with the greater Arc.
Old 10-03-13, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
If you just did all mythology stuff all the time, you will run out of ideas in 12 episodes or it gets all sorts of convoluted like LOST. Grimm had the perfect balance of Monster of the week, mixed in bits with the greater Arc.
I hope they have a plan and aren't just going to throw shit at a wall like with Lost.
Old 10-03-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I should play the lottery!

From the pilot thread:
Originally Posted by chowderhead
in! ... before the complaints about the monsters of the week episodes start.
Old 10-04-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederic
This is how I feel. If there isn't one procedural it's another. I'm fine with mysterious characters and the whole mythology thing, but I don't like this kind of case-by-the-week or monster-by-the week kind of deal. It's too monotonous! And I realize that they probably don't want to "wear out the welcome" of the Headless Horseman, but I think it's ridiculous to let episodes go by without even really mentioning him let alone showing him in some way. He's probably the most pivotal character to the entire tale of Sleepy Hollow. I'll wait for season 2 to take another look, if it's more of the same, I'll walk away again.
It will almost definitely become more serialized in season two, like so many other monster-of-the-week shows started out. Fringe and Supernatural being the biggest examples.
Old 10-07-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I feel this is much more interesting than Grimm. I am really liking this show.
Agree. The characters on Grimm are not that great to me except for the clock repair guy.
Old 10-09-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just caught up with the episode and was wondering whether I was done, but the ending intrigued me enough to stick around a little longer. I've prioritized this over some other new shows since it counts for the horror challenge.
Old 10-09-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shady12
Agree. The characters on Grimm are not that great to me except for the clock repair guy.
I agree as well as a group. But Munroe is the best character in both series imho