0.91%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Breaking Bad --> Series Finale --> "Felina" --> 9/29/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad --> Series Finale --> "Felina" --> 9/29/13

Two hours per season might work, but 2 hours for the whole series would basically be a just collection of "previously on" segments.
Old 03-19-17, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I may give this a shot just as a fan. But jumping around through the video, I'm not even seeing any frames of Gus yet. If they don't have his story fleshed out in there, it's missing the best part of the series IMO.

EDIT: Here's a great fan watch of this edit, the good and bad: https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comm..._into/deu3k6a/
Ended up watching the full two hours of this tonight. Here's my brief review, full of spoilers, so don't read any further if you've never seen this show:
  • As a fan of the show, it's not a bad way to relive the series in a VERY summed up way. It captures the general gist of Walter's arc...but that's about all. I enjoyed it for what it was, but would never recommend it as a way to introduce someone to the show who doesn't want to sit through all seasons.
  • The quality is pretty good considering the shows were really meant to be viewed in ebbs and flows of storylines. This just told the overall story the way you might over dinner with friends and never really feels quite like a movie as much as a "retelling" featurette.
  • Walt is the only character who has any development, and even then you never quite get the feeling he's the kingpin he is in the actual series. He seems more like just a cook who got in a really bad situation and tried his best to get out. He basically starts to cook, then immediately gets tied in with Gus, then takes Gus out, stays in it a bit to help out his family, then gets out for good...until he's driven to take the final enemies out.
  • They really needed a couple more hours, or a couple hours per season, because you miss out on the arcs of Skylar, Flynn, Hank, Gus, etc...and Jesse is barely even in this thing. He's in it less than Hank.
  • It did make me want to watch the series again. Missing scenes/storylines that I LOVED in the series include the poisoning of the Mexican cartel, the twins shootout with Hank, Gus' death, Skylar's affair, Jesse's girlfriend...
So, yeah...appreciate it for what it is, but it can never stand up to the series.
Old 03-19-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah I'd say a two hour highlight reel of the series just seems like a boring idea. Now, maybe something where it's focusing on one element, such as Hank's investigation - without revealing Walt's role until when he actually finds out, that could be interesting, even though we (and even many non viewers) already know.
Old 03-19-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Ended up watching the full two hours of this tonight. Here's my brief review, full of spoilers, so don't read any further if you've never seen this show:
  • As a fan of the show, it's not a bad way to relive the series in a VERY summed up way. It captures the general gist of Walter's arc...but that's about all. I enjoyed it for what it was, but would never recommend it as a way to introduce someone to the show who doesn't want to sit through all seasons.
  • The quality is pretty good considering the shows were really meant to be viewed in ebbs and flows of storylines. This just told the overall story the way you might over dinner with friends and never really feels quite like a movie as much as a "retelling" featurette.
  • Walt is the only character who has any development, and even then you never quite get the feeling he's the kingpin he is in the actual series. He seems more like just a cook who got in a really bad situation and tried his best to get out. He basically starts to cook, then immediately gets tied in with Gus, then takes Gus out, stays in it a bit to help out his family, then gets out for good...until he's driven to take the final enemies out.
  • They really needed a couple more hours, or a couple hours per season, because you miss out on the arcs of Skylar, Flynn, Hank, Gus, etc...and Jesse is barely even in this thing. He's in it less than Hank.
  • It did make me want to watch the series again. Missing scenes/storylines that I LOVED in the series include the poisoning of the Mexican cartel, the twins shootout with Hank, Gus' death, Skylar's affair, Jesse's girlfriend...
So, yeah...appreciate it for what it is, but it can never stand up to the series.
Based on your description, it sounds terrible.
Old 03-19-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah screw that. From the description that sounds terrible. I guess I didn't expect a lot more given that it's only two hours.
Old 03-19-17, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^As well, watching the entire series, the second time through, I can't think of one point where I felt it was dragging out, or I just wanted them to get on with it. It's just that good.
Old 03-19-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
Based on your description, it sounds terrible.
It's not terrible for what it is. But it just doesn't work as well as you hope it will.

My biggest disappointment, other than iconic scenes that were cut, was Jesse barely showing up. In the TV show his storyline is almost as strong as Walt's. Together, they showed you two sides to the meth business, and added a depth of relationship with one another that they never had with other characters, even Walt with his own son.

So, yeah, not great.
Old 03-19-17, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah Jesse's arc is really as important as Walt's in my opinion. Ridiculous that he hardly has any screen time in a "movie" version.
Old 03-22-17, 08:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I watched about 3/4 of it the other night, with an open mind. I think it's okay, and I like some of the montages they threw in, but overall, I agree with the rest of the concerns. It just doesn't work. Actually, with another round or two of editing, it might be decent.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Now, maybe something where it's focusing on one element, such as Hank's investigation - without revealing Walt's role until when he actually finds out, that could be interesting, even though we (and even many non viewers) already know.
This is a great idea. It isn't the heart of the show, but I think it's the best you can get from this kind of thing. Hank's investigation, generally, would seem to have more elements that lend themselves to this type of compressed storytelling. I'd love to see someone take a shot at this one. I'm not sure exactly where you'd end it, though, since I'm not sure there's any closure to that part of the story that could be considered satisfying for a 2 hour movie.
Old 03-22-17, 08:51 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

That is a cool idea about the Hank perspective.

I think everyone is kind of over reacting. The 2 hour movie wasn't great, clearly. But this was just an experiment in editing. Nobody is saying this how the show should be.
Old 03-22-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The Hank POV version is really an interesting idea, where you would only see the story unfold from Hank's point of view.

He shoots Tuco, he's hunting for this Heisenberg character, gets attacked, gets his bills paid for by Walt, finds out Walt is Heisenberg, and has been running the whole operation right under his nose.

I might actually take the time to watch something like that.
Old 03-22-17, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Hank POV version is really an interesting idea, where you would only see the story unfold from Hank's point of view.

He shoots Tuco, he's hunting for this Heisenberg character, gets attacked, gets his bills paid for by Walt, finds out Walt is Heisenberg, and has been running the whole operation right under his nose.

I might actually take the time to watch something like that.
I actually like that too. As a viewer we knew too much to really see things unfold through Hank's eyes.

Last edited by stopgap; 03-22-17 at 10:28 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-14-17, 02:14 PM
I am not grundle

I think it's hilarious that the only thing they did to make Lydia look deathly ill was to show her without any makeup.
Old 06-15-17, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyle Sturgess
I think it's hilarious that the only thing they did to make Lydia look deathly ill was to show her without any makeup.
The ricin is a slow acting poison that would lead the person to think they have something as common as the flu. That's the whole point to it - it's not obvious to anyone. So she looked and felt like she was simply under the weather - at that point she wasn't deathly ill even though she was well on her way to dying.
Old 06-17-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished binge watching this the third time through. Wow, what a series. I don't think I know of any other show that's quite as tight as this for five seasons, plus has all the secrets come out slowly, one by one, by the end.

If you've only watched it through once, or only while airing live, I highly recommend running through it again this summer. Absolutely great stuff.
Old 06-18-17, 04:40 AM

Just finished binge watching this the third time through. Wow, what a series. I don't think I know of any other show that's quite as tight as this for five seasons, plus has all the secrets come out slowly, one by one, by the end.

If you've only watched it through once, or only while airing live, I highly recommend running through it again this summer. Absolutely great stuff.
I've only caught it on reruns on AMC. I own the finale so I have revisited that episode a few times. This show is like Seinfeld. Never gets old, though I understand you have to be a BB fan to get this.
Old 06-18-17, 04:43 AM

Most painful scene anyone remembers?

For awhile it was Jane. But in season 5 when the girlfriend was shot, that hurt. Jessie had to see that. It was so quick. Seriously pissed me off.
Old 06-18-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

Hank's death, easily.
Old 06-19-17, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stopgap
Most painful scene anyone remembers?
This time around one of the most painful scenes to me was near the end when Walt is trying to rush Skyler and his son out of the house and Skyler and he get in a knife fight. The look on Walt's face when he sees his wife and son cowering in fear from him--pretty much the last time they're all three together--and he realizes he's a monster in their eyes, is heartbreaking.

Especially because we know the entire series is about him trying to save his family...but he can't. And I think that's when he realizes he's truly has done all this for himself.
Old 06-19-17, 07:22 AM

This time around one of the most painful scenes to me was near the end when Walt is trying to rush Skyler and his son out of the house and Skyler and he get in a knife fight. The look on Walt's face when he sees his wife and son cowering in fear from him--pretty much the last time they're all three together--and he realizes he's a monster in their eyes, is heartbreaking.

Especially because we know the entire series is about him trying to save his family...but he can't. And I think that's when he realizes he's truly has done all this for himself.
The most heartbreaking was when he called 911 to tell on his dad.

He chose a side at that point.
Old 06-19-17, 07:24 AM

Walt deserved what he got. Jessie's gf didn't. So I'm sticking to that.
Old 06-19-17, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Hank's death, easily.
This hurt as well. But he was in the DEA. There are risks.

Single mom trumps even that sad ending.
Old 06-28-18, 07:38 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Say their names again.

It’s been 10 years since a quirky little drama about a terminally ill middle-aged man who starts cooking meth debuted on AMC, and it’s been nearly five years since the critically worshipped, Emmy-winning, game-changing Breaking Bad signed off. Perhaps you still binge this series occasionally when you want to immerse yourself in a world of adrenalized, harrowing drama. Perhaps you never could bring yourself to bid farewell to Albuquerque and you have since found solace in the Emmy-nominated prequel spin-off Better Call Saul. Whatever the case, we have some very good news about Bad.

The cast members of Breaking Bad have reunited in the pages of this week’s issue of EW, and right here you can preview the cover. (Remember, the first hit is free. You’ve got to spend a few bucks at the newsstand for the next one.)

Our coverage includes a roundtable interview with creator Vince Gilligan and stars Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul. In it, the trio recall how it all began, how it all ended, and the chances of seeing Walt and Jesse on Better Call Saul. (Spoiler alert: The odds are in your favor.) In addition, stars Bob Odenkirk (who anchors Saul), Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Betsy Brandt, Giancarlo Esposito, Jonathan Banks, and RJ Mitte revisit the joys and challenges of playing their characters, from some quality toilet time for Hank to a silent Gus speaking loudly with a box cutter.

So, what was it like for this ABQ gang to get back together once again for Badness sake? There were happy hugs and tears of joy. “There’s a suggestion in the question that it’s emotional — and you’re right,” Cranston tells EW. “You can’t just move on. Something that was so indelible and meaningful in your life and you can’t, and I don’t want to. I want to hold on to those good memories of that gathering, both then and during our seven years together. So, it’s a bit melancholy, actually. Bittersweet.”

“I love these people,” Paul tells EW. “I feel blessed to have shared this incredible experience that is Breaking Bad with each and every one of these people. I remember when we were shooting the first season, Dean and I were talking, he goes, ‘You know, in ten years, we’re going to look back and say, ‘Goddammit! I used to be a part of Breaking Bad!’ And now it’s crazy that 10 years has passed, and I am still constantly thinking that. It’s like, wow, how lucky we all are.”

And here’s how Brandt sums up the day that the cast reunited: “I knew I would laugh, and I knew would cry.” Maybe you’ll do a little bit of both when you pick up a copy of EW on Friday. And if you’re in the market for some moving images of a more literal sort, you’re in luck there, too. The cast sat for an engaging — and at times emotional — video interview for the Breaking Bad reunion special that debuts today at noon ET on digital network PeopleTV. (Even Jonathan Banks, a.k.a. badass fixer Mike, shed some tears while sitting next to his old castmates and talking about the good fortune that came his way in the form of this role.)

An EW cover story. An hourlong video interview. Plenty of online photo galleries and 10th anniversary stories to come. To paraphrase the mighty Gus, may this reunion satisfy you.
http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/28/breaking...e=facebook.com
Old 06-28-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

I look forward to that issue.
I have no idea how Walt could appear in BCS. There's no way it would really make sense and would just feel shoehorned and wrong. Jesse might work, but I hope it isn't in the Gene storyline. I want his escape to be the final word on Jesse's story.
Old 06-28-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

the thing that kills me about EW is the shortness of all the articles, I half suspect the blurb above is almost as long as the article.

This was an amazing show and remains in my top 5 easily.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.