0.91%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Breaking Bad --> Series Finale --> "Felina" --> 9/29/13

Old 09-30-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad --> Series Finale --> "Felina" --> 9/29/13

Lol at Damon Lindelof getting totally trashed on twitter:

I really like @DamonLindelof but dude, i'd be crushed after that final scene in breaking bad, they practically laughed at your face.

@DamonLindelof, I love you, but this #BreakingBadFinale has to be embarrassing for you.

Screw you @DamonLindelof for not giving us a such a perfect ending for Lost like Vince Gilligan did for @BreakingBad_AMC !

I wonder if @DamonLindelof got the big "F*** YOU" that #BreakingBad used the same closing death scene as Lost, except this one didn't suck?!
Old 09-30-13, 08:46 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
It was mentioned earlier, and I agree... that wasn't Walt's intention with Jesse... he didn't ask for Jesse to be brought in - that was Jack's idea. He was merely trying to buy time because he didn't have the car keys and was about to be taken away and executed. It was really just a coincidence. He may have felt bad for Jesse and decided to shield him from the gun-fire - but he didn't plan on Jesse getting shot up with the rest of them.
My take was that once Walt found out blue meth was still on the street, he knew Jesse was being forced to cook. He knew Jesse was the only other person who could cook the blue stuff, and that the brotherhood wouldn't keep him alive to cook on his own free will (and Jesse probably wouldn't even do it at that point). Plus, when Walt last saw Jesse, he really had no will to live at that point anyway. Add in there that he had found out through Badger and Skinny Pete that Jesse had made no contact with any of them for six months, and it was pretty obvious he was being held captive.

Everything Walt has ever done in this show has been extremely calculated, including manipulating the conversation with Jack, accusing him of reneging on their deal in order to get him to bring Jesse into the room. Ever since leaving NH, he has been on a mission to make as many things right as he could, and Jesse had to be included in that. He knew the safe place was on the floor, so his plan all along was to create that distraction once Jesse was in the room which would end up with him on top of Jesse, protecting him as the brotherhood all got taken out.

Last edited by John Galt; 09-30-13 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 08:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

liked how they tied up pretty much every loose plotline

lotto ticket revealed
gave marie closure with hank & Gomez location
put the local meth business out of business
used the grey matter characters for final resolution, a long term play on plot that paid off nicely
walt had to die, he just had to
jessie had to live, he just had to
another creative way to use the weaponry, BB has done great things with thinking out of the box

just a seamless finale, not as much emotional wallop as some of the previous eps, but it was pretty much a perfect finale on all levels.

Easily one of the greatest shows in tv history.
Old 09-30-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
When Walt was walking around admiring the Meth lab, I seriously thought he was going to blow it up with him included. Didn't think the gunshot wound he sustained was fatal.
Keep in mind he was shot with a .308, not a handgun round. It makes a huge temporary wound cavity that tears shit up. Fact is, the exit wound out his back would have been as big as your fist.
Old 09-30-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, can't see how anyone thinks that Walt wasn't going to kill Jesse. He obviously thought that Jesse was partnering with the Nazis and until Jack brought Jesse in (not at Walt's request), he was ready to kill everyone, including Jesse. Walt likely surmised that Jesse was an unwilling partner, doing it to save his life, but a partner nonetheless.

One of the things that was interesting in Talking Bad though was VG saying that this episode was somewhat based on The Searchers, with John Wayne hunting his niece that went with the Apaches with the intention of killing her, but when he finally found her, he didn't have the heart. Although there are obviously differences (Jesse didn't want to be with the Nazis, unlike Debbie in the Searchers), the result was the essentially the same.

It's nice to think that Jesse was going to go back to Brock, but realistically, Brock being placed with an ex meth head with no legal standing that hadn't seen him in months and looks like complete shit now? Doubtful. But then again, Walt did turn into Batman for the shootout so who knows.

That was the only issue I had with the finale. It was too Hollywood cliche. But given how much I love the series, it's not a game breaker.

The watch thing was funny, since it was because of continuity, but also could be seen that time meant nothing to Walt anymore.

The other thing that I liked was Gilligan referencing the last time Jesse and Walt talked, Jesse said that he would never do anything Walt asked him to do again. When Jesse got Walt to say that he wanted Jesse to kill him, he walked away. The implication being that if Walt didn't want Jesse to kill him, Jesse would have.

Definitely one of my all time favorite shows and finales.
Old 09-30-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most BB fans thought it was Badger and Skinny Pete in that scene. It was still good telling that to my wife and then seeing her surprise when they showed up.

And yes, perfect ending for a perfect show.

Breaking Bad has always been a comic book show. Just think about all the seasons, yes, there is a lot of reality, but you can see the hints of comic book in almost any episode, except the Fly episode, of course.
Old 09-30-13, 08:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

you know it so har to keep up the quality for 5 seasons, and this show did it right down to the last ep, thats really something else these days...
Old 09-30-13, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how he's game for all of that. He kind of enjoy it.

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

I really like @DamonLindelof but dude, i'd be crushed after that final scene in breaking bad, they practically laughed at your face.

@DamonLindelof, I love you, but this #BreakingBadFinale has to be embarrassing for you.

Screw you @DamonLindelof for not giving us a such a perfect ending for Lost like Vince Gilligan did for @BreakingBad_AMC !

I wonder if @DamonLindelof got the big "F*** YOU" that #BreakingBad used the same closing death scene as Lost, except this one didn't suck?!
Old 09-30-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

How exactly did Walt provide a sealed stevia packet with the ricin?
Seems unlikely Lydia would use an opened one. For a show that tied things together so well this one small thing is nagging at me.
Old 09-30-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Yup, can't see how anyone thinks that Walt wasn't going to kill Jesse. He obviously thought that Jesse was partnering with the Nazis and until Jack brought Jesse in (not at Walt's request), he was ready to kill everyone, including Jesse. Walt likely surmised that Jesse was an unwilling partner, doing it to save his life, but a partner nonetheless.
I don't think anyone is claiming that Walt didn't initially want to kill Jesse. The point was that Walt didn't plan to get Jesse brought into that room to get killed in that hail of gunfire like the rest of them. That was a coincidence due to Walt buying time to get the keys. If Jesse wasn't around for the gunfire, Walt may have went looking for him afterwards.
Old 09-30-13, 09:04 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
I predict a lot of people are going to find out about a band called Badfinger tomorrow morning
As expected, Youtube is already chalk full of BB comments from the last 12 hours. Such a perfect song to end the show with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53QAuOoSgc

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/C53QAuOoSgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-30-13, 09:05 AM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Most BB fans thought it was Badger and Skinny Pete in that scene.
I knew it wasn't a real sniper by how much the red dots were bouncing up and down. The moment they hopped in the backseat, I knew it was them.
Old 09-30-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Seems unlikely Lydia would use an opened one. For a show that tied things together so well this one small thing is nagging at me.
Walt probably used a very fine razor to slit open the packet at the top and then re-sealed it... or made a tiny hole, slipped it inside and sealed the hole. He obviously wasn't doing this at the coffee shop - he probably took some packets and did it elsewhere and it probably took a few attempts to get it right.
Old 09-30-13, 09:09 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I was pondering the question late last night that sadly, the ending of Breaking Bad might have brought with it the end of the golden age of TV*. There have been a few articles over the past year about how we're transitioning to the silver age. Depressing to think about.

*With Mad Men being the one likely exception.
Old 09-30-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
This show requires a lot of suspension of disbelief in its storytelling. Not a bad thing but it doesn't exactly spell out every little thing to the viewer. A lot of the scenarios are a little too convenient but it has been that way since the beginning of the show.
Old 09-30-13, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

That's... beautiful.
Old 09-30-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I loved that Gilliigan had the balls to kill his character, to kill himself. We've seen so many cop out series finales where the show creators/writers simply don't know how to end it or flat out refuse to end it. I wasn't left with any questions, no wondering "where they are now" (except for Jessie working at Cinnabon in Nebraska). I thought it was the perfect finale.

Last edited by Timber; 09-30-13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 09:29 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's how it should have ended:

Walt slips Ricin in the Stevia at Lydia's usual table. However, before she gets there, a family sits down instead, and a young boy immediately ingests the packet before Walt can react. The boy turns around and it's BROCK...out with his foster parents!

Queue Badfinger: "If you want it, here is it, come and get it..." fade to black.
Old 09-30-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by conscience
This show requires a lot of suspension of disbelief in its storytelling. Not a bad thing but it doesn't exactly spell out every little thing to the viewer. A lot of the scenarios are a little too convenient but it has been that way since the beginning of the show.
It's a comic book reality based show.

They don't have enough time to show everything. They either include the scene where he was setting up the weapons, or they show how he was setting the ricine. And of course, being able to pull up both things in real life would be really hard.
Old 09-30-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did they "explained" why the Felina name?
Old 09-30-13, 09:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I was pondering the question late last night that sadly, the ending of Breaking Bad might have brought with it the end of the golden age of TV*. There have been a few articles over the past year about how we're transitioning to the silver age. Depressing to think about.

*With Mad Men being the one likely exception.
IDK, we still high quality shows like Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy and Walking Dead. Downton Abbey is way up there too as a character driven storyline. OTOH, Low Winter Sun has been an embarrassing failure. I don't think anyone cared that the show got bumped to 10pm last night.

Last week was also depressing with most of the network pilots failing to excite.
Old 09-30-13, 09:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Did they "explained" why the Felina name?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Paso_%28song%29
Old 09-30-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!
Old 09-30-13, 09:35 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

One of my favorite lines: "If you want to go that way, Elliot, you're going to need a bigger knife."

That whole scene was shot so perfectly, with Walt just casually looking at photos around the corner.
Old 09-30-13, 09:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
It's nice to think that Jesse was going to go back to Brock, but realistically, Brock being placed with an ex meth head with no legal standing that hadn't seen him in months and looks like complete shit now? Doubtful.
My thoughts as well. To expand upon that a little bit...Andrea gets shot, in front of her house, on a public street. Cops will be out shortly, where they will find Brock. Child Protective Services takes him into custody until they locate family. Whether or not CPS still has custody of Brock or relatives do, there is no way Jesse is getting close to Brock.

A lot of people keep saying that Jesse will go back to "rescue" Brock, but everyone either knows or should know that going with Jesse would not work. Jesse swoops in and just "takes" him? Kidnapping. Jesse's face and name are both known now to the Feds with all that has happened already without Brock involved. He takes Brock, and his fate is sealed, eventually. In logical terms, Jesse is forced to let Brock go.

Jesse may be "free" from the Nazi gang and the compound, but that's about it. He has no money to dig up anywhere, and his face and name are known the the authorities. If he indeed wants to head up to Alaska, he's got to have some kind of money to do it. Maybe hit up Badger and Skinny Pete, but that's about it. So Jesse's "freedom" is realistically limited.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.