Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Breaking Bad --> Series Finale --> "Felina" --> 9/29/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad --> Series Finale --> "Felina" --> 9/29/13

Originally Posted by atrium
So a perfect finale is one that satisfies every desire a viewer has prior I guess?
I'd define it as one that satisfies the viewer after the fact. There are shows that have ended just how I wanted that were let downs.
Old 09-29-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Another discussion topic is the question of whether seeing the bleeding is what kept Jesse from shooting Walt or if it was him deciding he was done doing Walt's bidding. See, there are tons of little things people who want to argue can adopt as their cause. That's my main point here.
VG stated that at the end of Rapid Dog Jesse stated that he was done doing what Walt told him to do while on the phone with him.
Old 09-29-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mixed feelings here. The finale was very predictable, but only because things couldn't have gone any other way, and the writing had been so consistent. The only surprise for me was that it didn't occur to me that he'd use Elliot and Gretchen to get his money to his family, even though it should have.

Things I loved:
  • Giving the money to Junior was a stroke of genius, because Walt knew that he'd grown into a good man and would take care of his mom and sister.
  • Badger and Stinky Pete!
  • Closure for Skyler and Jesse
  • Marie was an utter bitch to the very end
  • Walt doesn't care about the other barrels
  • Fuck you Lydia
  • Fuck you too Todd
I guess I would liked to have seen Jesse get a barrel, but he'd have screwed it up anyway.

Pretty perfect ending, and nice to see Walt at least partly redeemed.
Old 09-29-13, 10:09 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd define it as one that satisfies the viewer after the fact. There are shows that have ended just how I wanted that were let downs.
I agree, but I'm seeing people list off things they wanted to see, and how they were met in the finale.

Also Season 4 was my favorite overall I think. Love the Chicken Man.
Old 09-29-13, 10:13 PM
Banned

Holy fuck.

That was amazing.
Old 09-29-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That was flawless IMHO. It's right next to Six Feet Under as my favorite finale ever.
Old 09-29-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent finale. In less than a year, Junior & Mom & baby get a load of now legal money, and Marie gets to bury her husband for real. Joe Gomez' family as well.

I wonder what Jesse does with the rest of his life. I guess finding the other barrels is out of the question. Loved it when he choked out that sick fuck Todd.

My favorite part was when Walt confesses to Skylar that he did everything because he liked it and was good at it. You could see the pride he had in his art as he died in the lab.

Now this is how you end a show.
Old 09-29-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Awesome. Thought out and methodical, just like the entire series has been.

For a brief moment, I thought the guy on the massage chair might have been low and flat enough to avoid getting shot.
Old 09-29-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

great and satisfying ending. It tied up most of the loose ends and answered questions. Good for Walt to go out on his own terms. Good for Jesse to get his revenge on Todd and get away. I hope he just keeps driving. Thanks for 5 wonderful seasons which I will enjoy watching over again from the beginning.
Old 09-29-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loved the ending up to the clubhouse. The scene had to play out the way it did but I hate the cliche evil bad guy at the end who rather than just take action, feels the need to gloat, prove himself, spell the story out to the viewer, listen to the pleas of the guy supposed to die to put it on pause, etc.

I get that they had to get Jesse in the room for that to work (and for Walt to realize he was a slave), but the "I'm no liar and I'll prove it to you" just seemed kind of weak for a show of this quality. Then again him getting the car into the compound pretty much unsearched in the first place was a stretch. This was the only real thing that marred the ending just a bit for me. Still a really good and satisfying ending overall though.

I do like how Walt finally acknowledged that a lot of his actions was about him and his ego.
Old 09-29-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I liked how one of the last shots was a "W" in blood on one of the tanks before Walt fell to the floor.

I didn't think it was perfect, or phenomenal at all. I thought it was a fitting ending given where all the characters were. It was a little too neat, but pretty solid overall. I still think these last 8 don't compare in any way to the episodes that preceded it, but the show in my mind is one of the best ever without any doubt.
Originally Posted by chess
Mixed feelings here. The finale was very predictable, but only because things couldn't have gone any other way, and the writing had been so consistent. The only surprise for me was that it didn't occur to me that he'd use Elliot and Gretchen to get his money to his family, even though it should have.
Liked it, but the great thing about Breaking Bad is it always had you wanting more. I know this is the finale, so it had to wrap everything up, but I do feel a little empty. Probably my favorite show after Seinfeld.
Old 09-29-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
That was flawless IMHO. It's right next to Six Feet Under as my favorite finale ever.
Agree. THE two best series finales ever. When Walt touched Holly's head in her crib as she was sleeping, to say his final goodbye, and they showed Skyler behind them crying.....that was like a punch in the gut. Dear God!
Old 09-29-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Solid finale, might have wanted one more surprise, but still, a satisfying end.
Old 09-29-13, 10:34 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with what most others have said. It was a predictable but satisfying conculsion. Everyone says "It coudlnt of ended except for these two ways," which is what everyone said about The Sopranos, yet they completely caught us off guard. Breaking Bad didn't do that.

I still rank Sopranos as best Series Finale and series as a whole, but this was very very VERY good.
Old 09-29-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rank the finale even with The Shield and Six Feet Under. The final 16 episodes of BB as a whole were better than any other show I've ever seen though.
Old 09-29-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved it. I thought it was the perfect ending to arguably one of the greatest shows of all time. I get that some of it was predictable, but I don't think that should count against the show. It ended in a logical and completely satisfying way. Ambiguity wouldn't have suited this show and the writers smartly wrapped everything up that needed it.

I thought there was a great balance of genuine redemption for Walt as well as holding him accountable. He made peace with Skyler, saved Jesse, avenged Hank, gave closure to Marie, and provided for his family. At the same time, Walt went in there knowing that he would either be killed or arrested, both of which are suitable endings for the character.

Originally Posted by outcastja
I like that Walt admitted he did all this for himself and not for his family. That's was the only defense that people on Team Walt had that he wasn't an evil person.
Same here. All along he has been in denial and claimed he was doing it for his family. While that was undoubtedly his motivation at the start, he strayed from that very early on and let his ego take over. It was great to see the character finally admit that he was doing it because he enjoyed it and felt good doing it.

He did evil things, but he did what he could to set those right. It was so powerful that he killed Jack instead of hearing him out about the money. That was for Hank.
Thought that was great. Jack didn't let Hank have his final words and he wasn't even trying to barter for his life. Jack went out trying to strike a deal and Walt didn't even give him the chance.

Seeing Badger and Skinny Pete one last time was a nice touch and funny to boot

Originally Posted by DJariya
So after tonight, we shouldn't expect to hear from you again in this forum until next May for 24 huh?

Haha. I've intentionally been avoiding threads on 24 since it was announced. I really want to go into it fresh without expectations. I've only seen bits and pieces, but am really excited that it'll be back.

Here's the complete version of Todd's favorite ringtone by the one, the only, Groucho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zRe_wvJw8
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Very satisfying end for the show and Walter White's legacy.

Loved the final sequence with the machine gun and Walt's "rescue" of Jesse.

Walt's revenge against Lydia was awesome.

Jesse taking out Todd.
Old 09-29-13, 10:39 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
I agree with what most others have said. It was a predictable but satisfying conculsion. Everyone says "It coudlnt of ended except for these two ways," which is what everyone said about The Sopranos, yet they completely caught us off guard. Breaking Bad didn't do that.

I still rank Sopranos as best Series Finale and series as a whole, but this was very very VERY good.
Agree with this. The Sopranos had a more direct and holistic message. The people of The Sopranos were scum, there was no redemption for them and The Sopranos kept that going up through the fade to black.

Breaking Bad had a Hollywood ending. The bad guys got theirs, the good guys each won in their own personal ways. Respectable conclusion to a good series, but it doesn't dethrone the KING
Old 09-29-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I have to be honest. The ending being predictable I don't think was necessarily a bad thing in this case. First off I didn't find everything about it to be predictable and secondly the way it was done they wrapped up every last thing so we have our answers and aren't left with a bunch of questions. Sure we can speculate on what happens next to Skyler, Walt Jr., Holly, Jesse, Saul, etc. but in reality the show did what it needed to do. It told a story and did it in epic fashion from beginning to end. The best thing about Breaking Bad to me was that it always set ridiculously high standards for itself and always met them and usually exceeded them. Fantastic show and I can't imagine anything being that good from beginning to end for a very long time.
Old 09-29-13, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved it.

Sure it had some really dumb stuff (all BB episodes do) but I completely satisfied.

I just wish the money would have been found.
Old 09-29-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was I think to mirror how Andrea was before Todd killed her.
No he was that daft when Walt was first teaching him how to cook. He's just not the brightest bulb.
Old 09-29-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Certainly a lot of it was not predictable, for example with all the people who were insistent upon Gretchen and Elliot merely being a catalyst and not being involved with the finale. But even if it was, I agree that it's not a problem, since so much of it was purposely put into place over the last season, and foreshadowing is a big part of the show.
Old 09-29-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Jesse taking out Todd.
Yeah, that was very satisfying. Todd was a great character, but he had to die and it was great to see Jesse take him out in such a personal way. Jesse always regretted killing Gale, but there's no way he has trouble sleeping after killing Todd.
Old 09-29-13, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree with this. The Sopranos had a more direct and holistic message. The people of The Sopranos were scum, there was no redemption for them and The Sopranos kept that going up through the fade to black.

Breaking Bad had a Hollywood ending. The bad guys got theirs, the good guys each won in their own personal ways. Respectable conclusion to a good series, but it doesn't dethrone the KING
I cant even compare the disappointment I had in Sopranos with Breaking Bad. The final 2 seasons of the Sopranos bored the hell out of me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.