Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Hijack (Apple TV +) -- S: Idris Elba -- Real Time Terrorism action thriller series -- Premieres 6/28/23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hijack (Apple TV +) -- S: Idris Elba -- Real Time Terrorism action thriller series -- Premieres 6/28/23

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Apple TV+ today unveiled the trailer for "Hijack," the upcoming, high octane thriller starring and executive produced by SAG Award-winner and Emmy Award-nominee Idris Elba ("Luther"). Created by George Kay ("Lupin," "Criminal") and Jim Field Smith ("Criminal," "Truth Seekers"), who also wrote and lead directed the series respectively, the seven-part series also stars Emmy Award and NAACP Image Award-winner Archie Panjabi ("The Good Wife," "Snowpiercer," "Blindspot"). "Hijack" takes flight on Apple TV+ on Wednesday, June 28, 2023, with the first two episodes, followed by one new episode every Wednesday through August 2.

Told in real time, "Hijack" is a tense thriller that follows the journey of a hijacked plane as it makes its way to London over a seven hour flight, and authorities on the ground scramble for answers. Elba will star as 'Sam Nelson,' an accomplished negotiator in the business world who needs to step up and use all his guile to try and save the lives of the passengers - but, his high-risk strategy could be his undoing. Panjabi will play the role of 'Zahra Gahfoor,' a counter terrorism officer who is on the ground when the plane is hijacked and becomes part of the investigation. The series also stars Christine Adams, Max Beesley, Eve Myles, Neil Maskell, Jasper Britton, Harry Michell, Aimee Kelly, Mohamed Elsandel and Ben Miles.

"Hijack" is produced by 60Forty Films, the production company set up by Emmy Award-winning Executive Producers Jamie Laurenson and Hakan Kousetta ("Slow Horses," "The Essex Serpent") under its exclusive content deal with Apple TV+, alongside Kay and FIeld-Smith's own production company Idiotlamp Productions, and also marks the first series to debut from Elba's first-look deal with Apple TV+ and his Green Door Pictures. In addition to writing and directing, Kay and Field Smith each serve as executive producers alongside Elba, Laurenson, Kousetta and Kris Thykier.
7 episodes premieres in June

This looks good. Apple TV + is really stepping up and now putting out an action thriller series. The real time aspect like 24 should be interesting.

Old 05-29-23, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Hijack (Apple TV +) -- S: Idris Elba -- Real Time Terrorism action thriller series -- Premieres 6/28/

For some reason I thought this was a movie. Regardless, I will watch it.
Old 05-29-23, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Hijack (Apple TV +) -- S: Idris Elba -- Real Time Terrorism action thriller series -- Premieres 6/28/

Originally Posted by Deftones
For some reason I thought this was a movie. Regardless, I will watch it.
I did too. The TV ads certainly make it look that way.
Old 05-30-23, 07:29 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I'm in. This looks good.
Old 05-30-23, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://youtu.be/WxwKzsklvJo

7 episodes premieres in June

This looks good. Apple TV + is really stepping up and now putting out an action thriller series. The real time aspect like 24 should be interesting.
They totally should've called this series 7.
Old 06-27-23, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

This drops tonight on Apple TV+ at Midnight. 2 episode premiere.

A lot of shows dropping this week.
Old 06-27-23, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

***reads plot***

mmm hmmm....
Old 06-27-23, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought this was a movie too! Was confused why there was a thread in tv talk.
Old 06-27-23, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/hijack/s01

Hijack has an 89% as of right now.
Old 06-27-23, 08:06 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

The first two are up now.
Old 06-28-23, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

The 1st 2 episodes were entertaining and a quick watch. There was a good amount of tension. Elba's character is not some badass action hero (so far). There were some things that I thought he did that were pretty clever, especially what he and the Pilot did in episode 2.

So far we don't know anything about the hijackers and what they want yet. In episode 2, as soon as the ATC guy started snooping around and dug more into that situation with the security person, it was pretty apparent what the outcome would be.

Funny how the late Mom who seemed pointless turned out to have a key role that the other morons in ATC couldn't figure out.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-28-23 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-04-23, 12:33 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Yup. This is excellent.
Old 07-04-23, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Holy shit! Episode 3. That was intense. And that’s how they ended it? Damn, I wanted another hour.
Old 07-04-23, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I like Elba very much, but I can't think of anything more cliché and uninteresting than the worn out terrorist hijack plot.
Is there any more to the show than that?
Old 07-04-23, 08:29 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Holy shit! Episode 3. That was intense. And that’s how they ended it? Damn, I wanted another hour.
Yea... that was my reaction. I don't like not being able to binge this.
Old 07-04-23, 09:44 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
I like Elba very much, but I can't think of anything more cliché and uninteresting than the worn out terrorist hijack plot.
Is there any more to the show than that?
Watch an episode. You will change your tune
Old 07-06-23, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BDB
Watch an episode. You will change your tune
Well, I watched 2 and found it really mediocre
Not bad, but also nothing that drives me to episode 3

Last edited by Gunde; 07-06-23 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-06-23, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Also a little underwhelmed after the first 2 episodes but I'm interested to see what has people here excited after seeing 3.
Old 07-07-23, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Episode 3 was definitely better. Not as 'holy shit' as I expected based on the comments here. It's just a cliffhanger right at the end.
Old 07-08-23, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I wasn't trying to oversell episode 3. I did think it was the best of the 3 so far. The whole sequence dealing with bullet was pretty intense and well done and I did enjoy the final sequence and the ending did leave me wanting more.

The thing that is a little frustrating so far is that we don't know the motive of the hijackers yet. But, that mysterious phone call to the voice mail might be something.
Old 07-12-23, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Episode 4 was a decent follow up to last week, but the payoff to the cliffhanger was a little lackluster. I wasn't even clear on who got shot and died.

That was pretty clever of Sam to manipulate the injured hijacker to make that quick VM to his ex and leave that clue. I wasn't 100% clear about one thing. Did Sam's son Kai get kidnapped by those guys looking for his home address?

I do hope there is a good answer as to who these hijackers are reporting to and what their end game is.
Old 07-12-23, 11:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Lots of action this week. It’s well done. I did not expect to like the format.
Old 07-17-23, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Episode 4 was a decent follow up to last week, but the payoff to the cliffhanger was a little lackluster. I wasn't even clear on who got shot and died.
My son and I had to go back and watch the end of Ep 3 to figure it out. It was a little weird that they didn't make a bigger deal about who it was but you can piece it together watching the tail end of 3 and the beginning of 4.

Originally Posted by BDB
Lots of action this week. It’s well done. I did not expect to like the format.
It definitely works better than something like 24, which had to fudge the time all over the place to account for travel. This is basically following the action at one location with a set timeframe. I think it's working great.
Old 07-17-23, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

So far this is decent but not great. After half the shenanigans Wilson pulled in the 1st episode, they would have already shot him or tied him up to neutralize him. Yes, I realize about the bullets but that would have accelerated that timeline. Definitely have to suspend a ton of belief with this.
Old 07-17-23, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Yeah, I'm enjoying this so far. It's presumably around a 6-7 hour flight which works fine for something that is going to be 8-10 episodes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.