Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Breaking Bad --> Series Finale --> "Felina" --> 9/29/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad --> Series Finale --> "Felina" --> 9/29/13

Originally Posted by DJariya
There is like 20 people who have voted in the poll who I have never seen comment in a BB thread.

Lazy asses.

It's always the polls that get the shy lurkers out of hiding.
There is probably not THAT much to discuss for most people. I'm shocked at all the back and forth tonight, especially considering how neatly it was all wrapped up.

What happens to Jessie? What really killed Walt?

Honestly, who gives a shit. Walt died and Jessie made it. Great show.
Old 09-30-13, 01:50 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I think it is like a puzzle. Once you know the solution it's obvious and there is no other possible answer. Same with this episode. After seeing it, all the elements seem obvious but they weren't before.

Loved the little nod, to Gretchen still being in love with Walt. He truly could have had that life

For me, probably the best final episode I have seen.
Old 09-30-13, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

When Walt was walking around admiring the Meth lab, I seriously thought he was going to blow it up with him included. Didn't think the gunshot wound he sustained was fatal.
Old 09-30-13, 01:53 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
There is like 20 people who have voted in the poll who I have never seen comment in a BB thread.

Lazy asses.

It's always the polls that get the shy lurkers out of hiding.
Maybe they're just afraid of getting into heated discussions.

It's not being lazy, they just like the show and like to read what others say.

I'm no lurker online. I bite my tongue enough in real life, I'm gonna have my say online goddammit.

Anyway, a great ending to the show. Perfect? Kind of beside the point. The show has been so consistently strong for 5 seasons, and this finale didn't disappoint. Everyone got what was coming to them. Walt dying was inevitable. His cancer was going to kill him, and he needed to save his family from more pain. He did that, though not perfectly, which makes this show so incredible. Every action mattered, and the show never balked with that concept.

I don't believe Walt initially set out doing this for himself. Initially he did it for his family, but once he said he was in the empire business, we knew Walt really had the taste for this lifestyle and who he thought he should be and how it made him feel. He just got so drunk on his own ego he forgot how it was going to affect his family and all parties involved. Once Hank was killed, his two worlds collided, and he knew that there was no taking back what he'd done. So to say Walt was evil is shortsighted, but he just couldn't help himself and wasn't satisfied once Gus was killed. But his defeat of Gus came at a huge price, and the events that followed were the beginning of the end of Walter White. When you win, sometimes you lose. Walt learned that lesson the hard way.

Last edited by Brack; 09-30-13 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 01:56 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Loved the little nod, to Gretchen still being in love with Walt. He truly could have had that life
Uh, what? I missed this completely. What gave you that impression?
Old 09-30-13, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Uh, what? I missed this completely. What gave you that impression?
Yeah, whats he talking about? What little nod?
Old 09-30-13, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
People notice every little thing on this show. If the watch error remained then it would have been spotted and there would have been like 5 GIFs, 2 nerdy comics and 10 conspiracy theories about it an hour ago.
They notice it to the point that people found 22 additional continuity errors that I never noticed.

Breaking Bad (2008) - 22 mistakes in entire show
http://www.moviemistakes.com/tv9000

Last edited by Matt_; 09-30-13 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
What happens to Jessie?
In tonight's episode of Talking Bad, I like Jonathan Banks' theory that Jesse's first objective is to take care of Brock.
Old 09-30-13, 03:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Yeah, bitch!

Tonight's episode is already on Netflix UK. 55 minutes long. If I knew the episodes would pop up so quickly this season, I wouldn't have paid for AMC for the last two months.

I'd give this finale 4.5/5, but that's not an option in this poll. My thoughts, in point form:

- You'd think the cops would have saw his footsteps going toward the car. They knew who they were looking for, so I expected them to do a thorough search. Still, he got away, so
- The Gretchen & Elliot scene was perfect. This was the one "surprise" for the episode, and it was great. As soon as he got the address, we ALL thought he was going to kill them. Awesome. Also, I loved that Badger & Skinny Pete got one last scene. Fuck yeah.
- Walt & Skyler. Great goodbye scene. I knew Walt was there as soon as I noticed that Skyler's answers to Marie were very short. I almost teared up when he asked to see Holly one last time. Great stuff.
- The Lydia/Todd/Walt scene played out pretty much like I expected. In Granite State, when Lydia mentioned the Stivia, I knew that's how Walt would get her. We didn't need to see him putting it in the packet and resealing it. Again, perfect. I DID think Todd was also going to order tea, as he had been drinking tea in a few scenes earlier in the season, but it's okay that he didn't, because...
- The Nazi massacre. Right away, I thought it was dumb that they didn't search the car. They searched HIM, so... yeah. Still... I loved it. I'm glad Jesse got to kill Todd; that creepy fucker had it coming. It kind of reminded me of when Walt killed Crazy 8 in the basement, but probably because I just watched that episode this morning. I really wanted Jesse to pull the trigger, but I'm actually glad he didn't. As they said on Talking Bad, he wasn't going to take orders from Walt anymore. Jesse got his freedom (from Walt and the Nazis) and that's exactly what I wanted more than anything else on this show.
- Walt's death. Bittersweet. In a way, I'm mad that he was able to tie up all of the loose ends because I don't think HE deserved that satisfaction, but on the other side, I'm glad for the people that lived. Their lives are still destroyed, but at least the terrible shit is over for them.

This is probably one of the best finales I've had the pleasure to watch. It didn't have any major "gotcha!" moments (except the Gretchen/Elliot stuff), and I think that will greatly work in its favour as the show ages and people re-watch these episodes back-to-back.
Old 09-30-13, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See you, Meth Cowboy.
Old 09-30-13, 05:10 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I don't know if it has been mentioned, maybe it was with the dedication to him, but this is the reason we got more on Gretchen and Elliot: http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstj...-breaking-bad/
Old 09-30-13, 05:11 AM

Great finale. I was clapping far too much. Wrapped it up perfectly. And now I'm going to cook meth to get that feeling that Sunday nights used to give me.
Old 09-30-13, 05:28 AM

I finally watched the X-Files episode with Bryan Cranston written by Vince Gilligan. It's on Netflix right now in widescreen. Season six episode two "Drive". Really enjoyed it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_%28The_X-Files%29
Old 09-30-13, 06:51 AM

I thought they covered 'searching the car' when they had Kenny meet Walt at the gate. He looked in the back seat and hovered a bit before getting in and riding up with Walt. They probably felt taking his keys and searching his person was enough since he was alone. And they left a guy out there to keep watch.
Old 09-30-13, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just an amazing all around show. Not my favorite of all time (Six Feet Under) but most certainly up there and I am glad I had the opportunity to be with it from the beginning. It just makes the impact that much stronger.
Old 09-30-13, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
LOL what do you think I'm lying? VG said it himself.
Bring him out here and prove it!

*Grabs key fob off pool table*
Old 09-30-13, 07:14 AM

'Breaking Bad': Creator Vince Gilligan explains series finale:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/30/br...ince-gilligan/

"he’s standing among the wreckage and his whole family is destroyed." is what I had originally thought would happen when these finale 8 started.
Old 09-30-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Does anyone know which version of Lydia the Tattooed Lady was used for Todd's ringtone?
Old 09-30-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Loved it. Here are some thoughts:

-The finale might have suffered from too much theorizing. I think at some point plenty of people thought Walt would use the ricin on Lydia, use the M60 on the Nazi's and Jesse would get away while Walt died. I guess when the show is that popular these sort of things happen. Good for Gilligan and crew for sticking to their story and not trying too hard to outsmart the viewers and have some crazy finale.

-I like the idea of things coming full circle with Flynn. In 10 months he'll be put in the same situation his father was put in. The White family is in financial trouble so either Flynn can take the $9 million hand out that's coming to him or he could decline it because he's too proud to take the money. In past interviews Bryan Cranston was asked when he thought Walt officially 'broke bad'. Cranston said it was when Walt declined to take the money from Gray Matter because in those situations you swallow your pride for your family. It's interesting that Flynn will be in the same situation.

-So happy that Jesse got away and got a chance to kill Todd. Throughout the series Jesse has always been under someones thumb. Usually Walt but also Gus, Mike, Hank for a short time and finally the Nazi's. Jesse wasn't just free from the Nazi's at the end, he was finally free of it all. It doesn't matter where he goes from here but I too think his first stop is to see Brock.

-Walt finally told the truth. He finally admitted that he did it for himself. And as usual, everything went to Walt's plan and I do love that. He had the plan, the entire end game in mind and he pulled it all off perfectly. I think he redeemed himself as much as he possibly could have.

-I do wonder at what point Walt decided not to kill Jesse. I like to believe that his plan all along was to let Jesse go and just take out the Nazi's. Though it's more likely he decided to spare him once he saw that he was kept as a slave and not as a partner.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'll let it all sink in a little more but I think this finale was as close to perfect as you can get. No loose ends, everything tied up nicely with just enough ambiguity to make you wonder what's next for the White family and Jesse. I'm happy there wasn't some 'open ending'. That wouldn't have been the Breaking Bad way.
Old 09-30-13, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great ending and I like how every random scene they showed in previous seasons fit into the finale. I noticed that Bob Odenkirk was in opening credits but not in the ep.
Old 09-30-13, 08:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_
In tonight's episode of Talking Bad, I like Jonathan Banks' theory that Jesse's first objective is to take care of Brock.
I would have liked to see a coda final sequence showing Jesse and Brock. It would also be fun to see a finale scene of Saul and how he is dealing with his new life. lol It wouldn't really fit with the tone of the ending, but what a great dvd extra possibility.
Old 09-30-13, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
-I do wonder at what point Walt decided not to kill Jesse. I like to believe that his plan all along was to let Jesse go and just take out the Nazi's. Though it's more likely he decided to spare him once he saw that he was kept as a slave and not as a partner.
Right. His plan all along was to kill the Nazis AND Jesse. He didn't know he was being held captive. Until he saw how he was being treated, he still thought of him as a rat. And now a rat who was making his product. When he saw what they did to him, that is when he decided.
Old 09-30-13, 08:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

While I feel overall pleased with the ending, it felt a bit anti-climatic coming off two great edge of your seat episodes. The one "Holy Shit" moment for me was when the laser beams lit up on Elliot and Gretchen. It was one of those sweet BB moments where the viewer is in complete unknown territory. Brilliant revenge without ever harming the couple. They will never feel safe.

The high point of the episode was when Walt finally told the truth to Skylar. He finally admitted that "doing it for my family" was just an excuse. He really enjoyed the power. I believe he had been lying to himself all this time, but did some major soul searching in that cabin.

Loved that he shot Jack in mid sentence just like Hank got it.
Old 09-30-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Right. His plan all along was to kill the Nazis AND Jesse. He didn't know he was being held captive. Until he saw how he was being treated, he still thought of him as a rat. And now a rat who was making his product. When he saw what they did to him, that is when he decided.
It was mentioned earlier, and I agree... that wasn't Walt's intention with Jesse... he didn't ask for Jesse to be brought in - that was Jack's idea. He was merely trying to buy time because he didn't have the car keys and was about to be taken away and executed. It was really just a coincidence. He may have felt bad for Jesse and decided to shield him from the gun-fire - but he didn't plan on Jesse getting shot up with the rest of them.
Old 09-30-13, 08:36 AM

Only one thing missing from the finale: Walter finally trying the blue meth at the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.